4/30/2010 LD: "The Other Eldrazi"

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
♫...used to laugh and call him names.
They never let poor Emrakul
Play in Eladrazi games...♫

♫...So Emrakul came back later.

Said "You made me cry, I'll crush you all".

And killed them with Annihilator...♫

Edit: Wow, why does the formatting suck so much?

98% of people use statistics in their sigs, or have used them in the past. If you are one of the 2% that haven't or don't, place this into your signature. New Magic Forums, Im'a let you finish, but the old Magic Forums were one of the greatest boards of all time!
I can't believe spawn tokens lost to totem armor in last week's poll!  Totem armor is boooooring. The tokens are simple too, but at least there are tooons of unexpected ways they can work.
Totem armor is boooooring.

Would you care to elaborate on that?

Interesting that level up came first despite the sorcery nerfing... no wonder it is a fun mechanic, but let's make another poll with "Would you have liked to activate level up at instant speed?" and see which option wins by far.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
Interesting that level up came first despite the sorcery nerfing... no wonder it is a fun mechanic, but let's make another poll with "Would you have liked to activate level up at instant speed?" and see which option wins by far.

I'm pretty glad my opponents aren't leveling up at instant speed, does that count?  Otherwise the rare levelers that level for just one mana would be even more ridiculous than they are, because it would be almost impossible to kill them if you couldn't also do so in their leveled form.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Spawn tokens are great.  Because of them, Gelatinous Genesis and Gigantomancer are bombs in ROE draft.  I love this format where having a Timmy streak is an asset rather than a handicap.

Also, for the record, I'm really glad Level Up is sorcery speed.  Like MaRo said, it forces decisions rather than there always being a correct time to level your guy.
I love this format where having a Timmy streak is an asset rather than a handicap.

I was going to post an epic spiteful ramble, but there's really no point to it.
I somehow can't manage to hate this set as much I should.  Seeing rampant Timmygasms over RoE is actually kinda heartwarming, similar to watching my 2-year-old neice play with Yo Gabba Gabba dolls.  If Wizards really wants the jaded powergamers to step back and let "everyone else" bask in the glory of Battlecruiser Magic, we may as well accomodate it - so long as they don't make a habbit out of it.

Pretty much every ONE of my decks run a tight mana curve and is loaded with 2-drops.

I don't play giant creatures, and you know what?

I'm GLAD the set is gigantic and huge.  It's a nice change of pace and I am happy to see my Spike/Tournament friend enjoy the set.


Ugh.

Anyway, regarding the set:

"Sucks to pay 15..."  Good one.  I agree completely.


 

I somehow can't manage to hate this set as much I should.  Seeing rampant Timmygasms over RoE is actually kinda heartwarming, similar to watching my 2-year-old neice play with Yo Gabba Gabba dolls.



I can.  Been posting a countdown til M11 (the day RoE is no longer the draft set at my FNM) on Facebook.  I agree with your comparison .. but the problem I have with it is that Magic is supposed to be a game for people who think, not for 2 year olds.

I know it doesn't count, but I made sure to press the "Submit" button a few dozen times for my "It's terrible" vote on the poll.  Just made me feel better.
It's always nearly too late to make changes at that point, but sometimes we do anyway as long as we think the changes are safe.


Isn't this how we got Skullclamp and Umezawa's Jitte? I think you got away with it this time.
The broodwarden thing ticks me off. How is adding +4/+2 "difficult"? Pah.

Why do people think Dread Drone is a good name? I think it stinks. I wanted "Kozilek's Horror" or something.

The act-haste version of Emrakul's Hatcher is awesome; it was wrong to print for this set, but I hope they revisit "manabots" in a future set (with or without the rest of this set's themes) and make this version of the card. Such concealed synergy is the awesome.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Why do people think Dread Drone is a good name? I think it stinks.


I assumed it was the playtest name until I read the article. ;)


~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
i don't mind the name 'dread drone', but i still believe it sounds like it was thought up by scooby doo.

i'm also glad that rapacious one got changed to what it is now.  so much more threatening knowing you can use one of a seemingly infinite number of red cards to boost its power and instantly clutter the field with spawn.

i imagine the eldrazi's voice to sound like a cross between the original godzilla and a star wars pod-racer, with a bit of brown noise mixed in.

i like how close the results of the last poll were.  even though level-up is the clear winner, none of the others are total duds.  if defenders had been included, i imagine it would also have been up there with the rest.

for this week i had to go with the 'haven't played it' option.  i'm really looking forward to doing some drafting when it hits MTGO, though.  i think i would really like to see a RoE constructed format, though, because i think rise would be too weak in block with the speed of zenwake.
"BT 12/3: Sucks to pay 15 and have your Eldrazi Terrored. Here's some help."

But you can't Terror Emrakul. Don't you mean Journey to Nowhere, BT?

And regarding the "I should hate this set. I had no idea I have an inner Timmy" -- totally co-signed.

I'm a Spike more than I am anything else. I should not love this.

Somehow, though, I do.

I was really surprised to see Level Up at the top.
Also, now we know why Rapacious One has two spawn tokens in the art.
Why do people think Dread Drone is a good name? I think it stinks.


I assumed it was the playtest name until I read the article. ;)


~ Tim



Me too.

"BT 12/3: Sucks to pay 15 and have your Eldrazi Terrored. Here's some help."

But you can't Terror Emrakul. Don't you mean Journey to Nowhere, BT?


Maybe Emrakul didn't have protection from colored spells at that point in time. And maybe he just used "Terror" as another way of meanning removal, since terror is a very classic removal card.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
I like the name Dread Drone. It's a little pretentious, but it also sounds imposing.

I like that because... for all the bigness of the Eldrazi and the lurking "it's coming" of the Spawn generators, I don't get a feeling of menace when I look at their art, really. They're too odd-looking to look or feel scary. (In terms of flavor. Yes, staring down a 10/10 in-game is scary.) And they don't really look like "devourers" to me, either. I'm glad the artists didn't go the "giant mouth" route, as that would be cliched, but I would have liked to see something more directly related to their powers of destruction.

I understand the choice to make them look bizarre and alien (and therefore not feel tied to any color of mana), but I wish they'd come off to me as a bit more... straight-up frightening. Magenta baleen and bifurcated elbows are weird, but don't scare me.

I like the name Dread Drone because it's a little more weird-horror and a little less straight-up weird.
I love this format where having a Timmy streak is an asset rather than a handicap.

I was going to post an epic spiteful ramble, but there's really no point to it.
I somehow can't manage to hate this set as much I should.  Seeing rampant Timmygasms over RoE is actually kinda heartwarming, similar to watching my 2-year-old neice play with Yo Gabba Gabba dolls.  If Wizards really wants the jaded powergamers to step back and let "everyone else" bask in the glory of Battlecruiser Magic, we may as well accomodate it - so long as they don't make a habbit out of it.




I'm cool with it. Redid my budget for the year and I am going to get a little more ahead on bills. In fact I hear this set is doing really well right now, which means they might trend sets a little more in this direction for a while. I might save even more money in the sets ahead. Well done, Wizards.
I love this format where having a Timmy streak is an asset rather than a handicap.

I was going to post an epic spiteful ramble, but there's really no point to it.
I somehow can't manage to hate this set as much I should.  Seeing rampant Timmygasms over RoE is actually kinda heartwarming, similar to watching my 2-year-old neice play with Yo Gabba Gabba dolls.  If Wizards really wants the jaded powergamers to step back and let "everyone else" bask in the glory of Battlecruiser Magic, we may as well accomodate it - so long as they don't make a habbit out of it.




I'm cool with it. Redid my budget for the year and I am going to get a little more ahead on bills.



then scars hits, everyone finds out that it is somehow as broken as the first go around, and you blow all your cash on it lol
w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]
Yeah in a weird way I am hoping that's not the case. I really like "saving money" part. Even though I have definitely spiraled down significantly since Time Spiral left Standard, this is the first actual "stop" I have done.
Yeah in a weird way I am hoping that's not the case. I really like "saving money" part. Even though I have definitely spiraled down significantly since Time Spiral left Standard, this is the first actual "stop" I have done.



i see, that because time spiral was one of the better sets lol

 i'm more trading more and buying less for financial reasons as well so i see your point.
w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]
Well Time Spiral was also the set that was out when I came back so I have a fondness for that Standard. Things changed for me when Ravnica rotated, but they really changed when Time Spiral did. At the same time, the game has trended away from the things I like, so the timing really is perfect. I had an arbitrary time limit on how long I would stay with the game, not realizing at the time that a perfectly natural break would appear before my eyes.

And yeah, I have to move closer to work. Commuting two hours a day to live in a cheap place is killing me.
Also, now we know why Rapacious One has two spawn tokens in the art.


But do we know why Emrakul's Hatcher has four spawn tokens in the art?


i imagine the eldrazi's voice to sound like a cross between the original godzilla and a star wars pod-racer, with a bit of brown noise mixed in.

 



Did you mean white noise or the brown note? Or were you intentionally going for an unholy combination of the two? 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

As to the original article I was disappointed about the direction taken about Dread Drone play-test name.

I think Snid Beetle was brilliant name because together with it's spawn Tokens it's better than a 3/3 for 5 CMC Sea Snidd, because it's a 4/1 + 0/1 + 0/1 = 4/5

I think Tom LaPille should have defended the play-test name more and pointed this feature out.

Formerly Magemaster44 who joined in 2002
Also, now we know why Rapacious One has two spawn tokens in the art.


But do we know why Emrakul's Hatcher has four spawn tokens in the art?


We can only assume that the art was comissioned for a card that got killed latter.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Totem armor is boooooring.

Would you care to elaborate on that?




I'm not the original poster, but I'll agree with him.  Totem Armor is a useful mechanic, but a bland one.  Other than slapping Crab Aura on a Bloom Tender (with one card out which is at least two of black, white and red) for infinite mana, or maaaaybe having a little Urza's Factory or the like fun with Bear Umbra, there's virtually nothing to make the totem armor stuff creative or interesting - it's a very workhorse-y, straightforward mechanic.  And having all the names include "Aura" makes them consistent, but also homogenous.  I think they probably are exactly the way they should be for what they do, but it does make them less than exciting.

I understand the choice to make them look bizarre and alien (and therefore not feel tied to any color of mana), but I wish they'd come off to me as a bit more... straight-up frightening. Magenta baleen and bifurcated elbows are weird, but don't scare me.
I like the name Dread Drone because it's a little more weird-horror and a little less straight-up weird.



Keep in mind that this is a game where dudes like Doomgape, Mindleech Mass, Roiling Horror, Hypnox, and Lingering Evil (I think that's hist name, the dude with fear and persist), just to name a tiny handful, are simply normal creatures.  There is no amount of scary-factor left that would suffice to make the players cringe at the Eldrazi on any emotional level.  They had to go for pushing the alienness, because pushing the monstrousness would have been humdrum by our standards.

And regarding the "I should hate this set. I had no idea I have an inner Timmy" -- totally co-signed.

I'm a Spike more than I am anything else. I should not love this.

Somehow, though, I do.




I and other "hardcore casual" players laugh with maniacal delight as we watch you take your first trembling steps into the Dark side.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
I think Rize looks like one of the best sets in a long long time...  from the perspective of the commons.  (The only format I ever really have time to play anymore is pauper, and barely that.)  The set feels different from most in a way that's reflected in every pack.  In fact, 2 weeks ago I was really really excited to play some Limited games.  Considering I haven't done heavy drafting since Shards of Alara and no limited at all since Alara Reborn, that's very positive.  Congratulations to R&D for that.

I mean really excited, couldn't wait to rip open packs and play some sealed.  Money all ready to jump out of my wallet and into the WotC coffers.

Unfortunately I play Magic Online, which will get this set sometime around August, 2017.  Every day the set's been out for paper, I lose that enthusiasm.  Not just emotionally but rationally too, as I know people who play online and off have a head start for learning that will give them an advantage.  By the time I can play it will be both unexciting and unwise to do so.

So ultimately Tom, my two cents is that $0.02 is about all Wizards will be getting from me.  But this time it's not R&D's fault.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.


As to the original article I was disappointed about the direction taken about Dread Drone play-test name.

I think Snid Beetle was brilliant name because together with it's spawn Tokens it's better than a 3/3 for 5 CMC Sea Snidd, because it's a 4/1 + 0/1 + 0/1 = 4/5

I think Tom LaPille should have defended the play-test name more and pointed this feature out.



I love your math skills
Well he should have said 4/3, but even so he's not correct.  Shock and Shrivel don't kill part and all respectively of a Sea Snidd.  The two are really not analogous.

(Also, why no love for Razing Snidd?)
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi

And yeah, I have to move closer to work. Commuting two hours a day to live in a cheap place is killing me.



You're probably only breaking even. My girlfriend lives an hour and a half away, and for a time I would commute to work everyday. It turns out that though we were splitting bills and such, the commute to work was a real financial killer, not only from a "buying gas" standpoint, but also sectioning off that much of my day to doing nothing but merely riding in a car severely limited the things I could do on a day to day basis.
There's also a tendency to eat out much, much more than I normally would if I had quick access to a refrigerator (at home) or if I wasn't riding to work and getting hungry on the way since the ride is long.

While we still see each other just about every other day, we thought it better that I get a place closer to work, especially since now I have another dog that needs to be housebroken, I find it easier if I can easily go home and take him out a few times throughout the day, since he doesn't "just hold it" like my older dog.

And yeah, on topic, I'm not buying this lame, lame set. It does free up some money to focus on some Extended decks, and to buy cards that are more expensive than I would like them to be to finish off some decks I have been planning to play Casual with.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
I can chime in about the pain of long commutes.  I lose about 2 hours a day, which admittedly means I get time to read which I otherwise wouldn't have, but the cost to my other activities is steep.  I'd be much, much happier if I could just teleport home.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Sign In to post comments