Dungeon 177 - Dungeoncraft 26: Starting Fresh

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png   Dungeon 177
Dungeoncraft #26
Starting Fresh

By James Wyatt

In this month's edition of Dungeoncraft, James discusses his plans for his new campaign after the collapse of his Greenbriar one.  This one will be set in his teenage Aquela Campaign Setting (that's Uh-kwel-uh, not Ah-kel-ah: it's not Spanish), though updated and changed to fit the core assumptions of 4e, now that he can look back on the setting from 12 years ago with an objective lens. 

Talk about this column here.

c742a19b8babcc2e58c8abad79e44523.png?v=30150

And no: despite the logo and his obvious excitement, Aquela is not being announced at this time as next year's setting.  We still have no idea.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I don't normally read this article, or to be honest any of the articles from the magazines. Although I did read the Deck of Many Things in full, the last article before that would have been the Vistani. I just dislike reading long streams of text on the computer. Darn iPad can't come soon enough!

That said, I did take the time to read this article and rather enjoyed it. I found it interesting how much you were willing to throw out wholesale in favour of 4th ed fluff. I don't know if I'd have done it that way. I'm new to 4th ed and even I often throw out 4th ed-isms in favour of stuff from older editions or even just my imagination. The part that I'm most reluctant to change is the cosmology.

I'm definitely making some astral domains be their own planes (at best there'll be gateways to these domains from the Astral Sea). I'm in two minds about whether or not to shatter the Elemental Chaos and have Planes of Fire, Water, Earth, Lightning/Thunder and Wind.

Back to Aquela, I do like this new take on the Points of Light concept. Looking to restore the old kingdom is an obvious story, and yet I haven't seen anything in the official sources to suggest running this campaign.

Although that said, I do warn people to be wary of the honeymoon period. I know I get excited about a new story or a new campaign and I'll put in hours upon hours of effort into it. And then 6 months down the line I find myself being bored and looking for something different. At this point you might be tempted to follow the advice in last month's column and just call the whole thing off.

That said I've recognised this habit in myself and so I am wary of it and I do my best to watch out for it. Although 8 or so months into my campaign, I'm happy to report I've managed to stave it off.
Darn iPad can't come soon enough!

I don't mean to derail the topic here, but I felt compelled to respond to this little bit.  You do realize that the iPad is backlit and will be just as difficult on the eyes as reading off of a computer screen, right?  That's the whole point of dedicated e-readers (such as nook, which I have all my quintessential Dungeon/Dragon pdfs on), with their e-ink displays, so it really is like reading a printed page.
I don't mean to derail the topic here, but I felt compelled to respond to this little bit.  You do realize that the iPad is backlit and will be just as difficult on the eyes as reading off of a computer screen, right?

It isn't the LCD screen I have issues with, but the position in which I must read it. I like reading when reclined, something not possible on my PC. I did have a Palm PDA which I used as a dedicated ebook reader for 3 years, my only issue with it was that the battery charge started shrinking for how long I could use it.

That's the whole point of dedicated e-readers (such as nook, which I have all my quintessential Dungeon/Dragon pdfs on), with their e-ink displays, so it really is like reading a printed page.

Hey cool. I'd heard the current ebook readers had issues with Dragon and Dungeon (which is why I've begged US iPad owners to test Dragon out for me Wink).
Curious how the list of background idea went. Most of the time I discuss the theme of the campaign with my players beforehand so that the characters are more or less aligned along the same lines. Never considered offering a list of background hooks though and I am curious how players react to it.
I have to say . . . I was a bit disappointed with this article.

Now, I may be missing the point entirely, but I thought that the hidden intent of this series was to help DMs integrate various 4e rules into their own, unique campaign worlds by giving an example of how it can be done.

It seemed to me that the author simply changed his own campaign world into the generic 4e setting. Or, maybe it would be better to say that he gave the generic 4e setting a specific name at his table: Aquela. This is not a helpful solution for those of us that have worlds very different from the "Points of Light" trope that seems to be pushed by Wizards in a very heavy-handed manner.