Annihilator

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Attack phase begins.  A player's creature with annihilator declares attack.  Opponent casts Path to Exile or Into the Roil or anything that gets rid of the creature.  Does the opponent still sacrifice to the annihilator?
Attack phase begins.  A player's creature with annihilator declares attack.  Opponent casts Path to Exile or Into the Roil or anything that gets rid of the creature.  Does the opponent still sacrifice to the annihilator?

Yes.  Annihilator is a triggered ability, so it goes on the stack.  The opponent then responds with Path to Exile or Into the Roil or whatever, which goes on the stack atop the Annihilator ability.  The first effect resolves, bouncing/destroying the creature, then the Annihilator ability resolves, requiring sacrifices.

You'll want to eliminate the creature with Annihilator before it's declared as an attacker if you want to avoid losing permanents.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Yes.  Once activated or triggered, an ability exists independently of its source.  Removing the creature with Annihilator won't affect the triggered ability that's already on the stack.

The defending player could, of course, play his Path to Exile before the creature with Annihilator is declared as an attacker (during the Beginning of Combat step), thus preventing the creature from triggering at all.  But he can't wait to see if the Annihilator creature will attack before deciding whether to Path it, and still avoid the trigger if it does attack.

(You mean the declare attackers step begins).

Yes. The Annihilator ability triggers when the creature is declared as an attacker; getting rid of the creature doesn't prevent the ability from resolving.

Your last chance to cast effectively your instant removal is on the beginning of combat step, before the creature can be declared as an attacker.

[<o>]

Thanks.

So what if you declare attack, your opponent does nothing, you attack with Eldrazi creature, and then your opponent says before you declare attack I will Path to Exile the Eldrazi so I don't have to sacrifice? 

Thanks.

So what if you declare attack, your opponent does nothing, you attack with Eldrazi creature, and then your opponent says before you declare attack I will Path to Exile the Eldrazi so I don't have to sacrifice?

That's illegal.  Your opponent is welcome to cast Path to Exile, but he'll still have to sacrifice permanents.  The only way around it would be to prevent the triggered ability from resolving (with something like Stifle), or to control the new guy that prevents you from sacrificing stuff to your opponents' spells or abilities.

You gave your opponent the chance to play spells/abilities in the Beginning of Combat step when you said "declare attackers" or something similar.  If your opponent passes without doing anything, then you declare attackers and your opponent cannot force you to back up.  You gave him the chance to do stuff.

Thanks.

It's too late.  When you said 'I declare my attack', your opponent had to decide then and there if he was going to do anything to your creatures to prevent them from attacking.  Had you simply started tapping creatures, he could have forced a rewind, but you did it right and gave him the opportunity.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Solid explanation, fellas.

Thanks. 

Does the annhilator ability target player or cards? If it targets a player, which I believe that it does, couldn't Leyline of Sanctity negate the ability since its ability is "You can't be the target of spell's or abilities." and if it targets the cards wouldn't whispersilk cloak protect a card?

Does the annhilator ability target player or cards? If it targets a player, which I believe that it does, couldn't Leyline of Sanctity negate the ability since its ability is "You can't be the target of spell's or abilities." and if it targets the cards wouldn't whispersilk cloak protect a card?

Annihilator doesn't target anything (as evidenced by the fact that the word "target" doesn't appear anywhere in its rules text), so something or -one having Shroud or something similar doesn't do anything.

DCI Lvl 2 Judge

Wow thanks, I think that should be changed though lol and that it shouldn't stack. but we'll see how things change when the new block gets released.
Wow thanks, I think that should be changed though lol and that it shouldn't stack. but we'll see how things change when the new block gets released.

Why?
Annihilator works as designed, and it was designed to work the way it does. It also works exactly as pretty much everything other triggereb ability that does something to the defending player. It won't change with the new block, and it's unlikely it will change in the foreseeable future, if ever.

DCI Lvl 2 Judge

Yeah I figured someone would say that. By chance do you play with an eldrazi deck?

Leyline of Sanctity

"You cannot be the target of spells or abilities your opponets control."

Annihilator doesn't target a player so it can't be blocked ever and it can be stacked with other annhilator cards. So it is possible that every attack makes you sacrifice 12+ cards. Overpowerful in many ways and not enough ways to defend against it.

for example i can't remember which eldrazi card it is but it goes something like this,

this card can't be countered,
this card can't be the target of collored spells,
annhilator 9,
you get an extra turn when this card is played,
indestructible,
when this card is put into the grave yard from anywhere instead shuffle it and your grave yard into your deck.
it's also a 15/15 and takes 15 mana to play

so you can't exile, destroy, or take control of it with any colored spells.

yeah it's a pretty tough card and can be destroyed by blocking creatures, but it annihilates 9 cards on top of whatever other annihilator's are in play. You can't say that this is not overpowerful and to remain a balanced card game rules should be changed in order to keep from one set of cards having a huge advantage. yes it is possible to win against an annhilator deck i have done it twice thus far. Annihilator should target the opponet and yes I think that rules should change so it says this otherwise there just overpowerful.

there is also the 8/8 annhilator 2 card that costs 8 so say you got a eldrazi/green deck it is real easy to get the land to play two of these cards within 6-8 turns.

I believe that these cards should be revised, thats just my opinion, and if someone wants to pop off and flame at me that's cool. I got a few councilors you can call for anger issues. =P
They don't issue power-level errata.  If something is really overpowered, they'll ban it outright, rather than trying to weaken it.  And none of the Eldrazi are in any danger of being banned.

You're also significantly overstating Emrakul, the Aeons Torn's attributes (it's not indestructible, for one thing) and downplaying both the cost (15 mana is a lot, so you might win before it's ever cast) and the ways of removing it (it can't be targeted by colored spells and damage from colored spells is prevented, but that still leaves a lot of possibilities).
That feeling of helplessness you get when a big Eldrazi resolves is exactly the intent. You're expected to win before it resolves; while it is possible to deal with it afterwards, it doesn't really leave you in a good position.

If you need some help facing an Eldrazi deck, head on down to the Standard or Casual Play forums as appropriate. In my playgroup, people scoop when Emrakul resolves, but he resolves maybe once in 4-5 games.
I just have a follow up question that I was always confused on. When are you supposed to sac your permaments because of annhilator? Before blockers are declared or after?
I just have a follow up question that I was always confused on. When are you supposed to sac your permaments because of annhilator? Before blockers are declared or after?

The ability triggers (and resolves) in the Declare Attackers step, so you sacrfice before blockers are declared.

Before. The trigger goes on the stack as soon as all attackers have been declared.
Thanks.

Before.
Annihilator triggers when attackers are declared.
ΦΦΦΦΦ
Annihilator is extra annoying in vintage and casual play.  Elvish Piper + Emrakul, the Aeons Torn is a horrible combo to be faced with.  And while the player doesn't gain the extra turn (since it wasn't cast), Annihilator 6 is still tough to face with if they put this into play on turn 5.
Please don't bump old threads, especially when you don't have anything rules-related to add.
I have a question regarding Annihilator ability. If i have in play Pathrazer of Ulamog who have Annihilator 3 and the defending player have only 2 permanents in play, can Pathrazer of Ulamog attack, since it says: Whenever this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices three permanents.
The defending player sacrifices all of her remaning permanents below 3? Or I cannot declare the attack?
Please open new threads with new questions.

Annhilator is a triggered ability. It goes on the stack after attackers declared. When it resolves, the target follows the instructions, and if he is unable to complete them, he must do as much as possible. He will sacrifice his remaining 2 permanents.

If i have in play Pathrazer of Ulamog who have Annihilator 3 and the defending player have only 2 permanents in play, can Pathrazer of Ulamog attack

Yes. Pathrazer of Ulamog has no restrictions on attacking.

When Annihilator 3 resolves, the defending player will do as much as possible and will sacrifice both of his permanents.
609.3. If an effect attempts to do something impossible, it does only as much as possible.
Example: If a player is holding only one card, an effect that reads "Discard two cards" causes him or her to discard only that card. If an effect moves cards out of the library (as opposed to drawing), it moves as many as possible.

thank you very much for your answer.

salla wrote:

Yes.  Annihilator is a triggered ability, so it goes on the stack.  The opponent then responds with Path to Exile or Into the Roil or whatever, which goes on the stack atop the Annihilator ability.  The first effect resolves, bouncing/destroying the creature, then the Annihilator ability resolves, requiring sacrifices.

You'll want to eliminate the creature with Annihilator before it's declared as an attacker if you want to avoid losing permanents.

could someone use spellskite to "steal" the annihalator away from the creature?

It's legal to activate spellskite's ability, but it won't do any good. Annihilator has no targets, so there's nothing for Spellskite to change. 

P.S, while your question is indeed related to the topic of this thread, if a thread is 3 years old you should probably just create a new one.

cyphern wrote:

It's legal to activate spellskite's ability, but it won't do any good. Annihilator has no targets, so there's nothing for Spellskite to change. 

P.S, while your question is indeed related to the topic of this thread, if a thread is 3 years old you should probably just create a new one.

oh, yeah. thanks a ton though.

Sign In to post comments