4e Jedi Class - Quick Glance

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I got bored and did a random search to see if anyone had made a 4e conversion for jedi.  While I saw some threads discussing theoretical possiblities I didn't actually see any builds.  So I thought about this a bit and decided to whip up a very quick couple of powers and suggestions on class features.  Keep in mind this is pulling stuff from Saga Edition.

Some may simply post - Why not just play Saga?
Answer: Saga is a great game but its 3.5 rules and has some issues.  The combat got  very stale.  Things like force push were lack luster, saber battles tended to be incredibly stationary.  I could go on and on.  4e has a very fluid system, combat is very organic and moves around a lot.  The rules are very well designed for pushing and moving targets about.  It's pretty easy to get a cinematic feel.

So here is the basic concept at a glance:

jedi for 4th edition

modeled after the psionics augmentation system

1 class feature is move light object minor action - like wizard cantrip.  Facilitates recovering a lightsaber or doing simple force tricks

Redirect
You send a ranged attack back at an enemy.
At Will * Force
Free        Ranged
Prerequisite: You successfully reflect a ranged attack. (see reflect below)
Target: One Enemy you can see
Attack: Dexterity + Wisdom modifier vs AC
Hit: Target takes full damage of initial ranged attack.

Class Features  that help narrow in on specific paths. This is like choosing the type of ranger or type of monk.  In this case yer choosing if you want to be more of a force user, attacker or defender.  Same choices were in Saga only it was built into the types of force powers and traits you picked etc.
Guardian - Defender type
Blank - Melee Focused Type
Blank - Force User focus type

Guardian could have class feature:
Circle of Shelter
The force guides your movements as you twirl your lightsaber about you making it difficult for your enemies to see where to attack.
At Will * Force
Standard Action        Personal
Target: You and all allies adjacent to you.
Effect: power bonus to AC and Reflex equal to 1 + wisdom modifier until the start of your next turn.
(Or maybe build a 1d6 roll system in.  They roll 1d6 and that is the power bonus mod)

Powers

Force Push
at will * Force
Standard Action        Ranged 3
Target: One Creature
Attack: Wis vs Ref
Hit: 1d6 damage, and you knock the target prone and push it one square.

Augment 1
Area: Blast 2
Target: Each Enemy in Blast
Hit: 1d6 damage and you knock the targets prone and push them one square.

Augment 2
Area: Blast 3
Target: Each Enemy in Blast
Hit: 1d8 damage and you knock the targets prone and push them two squares.

Block
You swiftly bring your lightsaber up to parry an incoming melee attack.
At Will * Force
Immediate Interrupt        Melee
Trigger: You or adjacent Ally are hit by a melee attack.
Target: Incoming attack.
Attack: Dex, Str +Wisdom modifier vs attack roll.
Hit: The attack does no damage.
Tie: Your attacks collide, both you and the attack reroll, the winner rolls for unarmed damage.
Special: You must spend an augment point to block for an adjacent ally.

Reflect
With a quick motion you reflect an incoming ranged attack.
At Will * Force
Immediate Interrupt        Melee
Trigger: You or adjacent Ally are hit by a ranged attack.
Target: Incoming Attack
Attack: Dex, Str + Wisdom modifer vs attack roll.
Hit: The attack does no damage.
Special: You must spend an augment point to block for an adjacent ally.

This was just off the top of my head how to facilitate within the rules blocking, reflect and redirect which is a staple of being a jedi.  Also I used force push to demonstrate the possibilities with the augment system.  You could even do later levels of force push to show the jedi gaining strength.  Something like Force push 2, or Force Wave could call it any number of things.
Swordmages make good starting points for jedis. Not perfect, but good. As do psions, or a hybrid between the two. Might not be perfect, but saves you alot of time if you start with that. Ie- swordbond, pushes from the psion, etc (I too am working on a 4th ed Star Wars)
Locke: [after mugging a merchant for his clothes] It's a little tight, but the price was right.
Ya I saw some stuff about the sword mage but none of the classes truly capture a jedi.  Sure some of the powers kinda work and you can twist fluff to put a spin on it.  i don't know if im going to do a full build or not.  This was just rattling around in my head after reading some posts on people talking about jedis for 4e.

After spending a lot of time in Saga Edition and of course being a huge fan of the movies, i have a pretty specific image of a jedi in my head.

4E has some great rules to make one work really really well, but without their own setting i don't think we could do them justice and keep them balanced with the other classes.
Personally, I think a Monk could be a pretty good Jedi substitute. Crazy jumping skills, attacks that target NADS, pretty good defenses, etc.
Well, at least I've still got my Compendium...
Ya I saw some stuff about the sword mage but none of the classes truly capture a jedi.  Sure some of the powers kinda work and you can twist fluff to put a spin on it.  i don't know if im going to do a full build or not.  This was just rattling around in my head after reading some posts on people talking about jedis for 4e.

After spending a lot of time in Saga Edition and of course being a huge fan of the movies, i have a pretty specific image of a jedi in my head.

4E has some great rules to make one work really really well, but without their own setting i don't think we could do them justice and keep them balanced with the other classes.

I actually meant to refer to all the psionic power source classes. And refluffed...those work VERY well for Jedi. For a jedi with mostly fighting skill, like Luke - a swordmage will do VERY nicely. One like the Emperor, would be more of a wizard. As for making it completely fleshed out, I agree some powers need to be written, since things like Chilling Blow don't make sense..and a skill to replace Arcana (Force Study or something) is needed.

Im interested to see what you go with, since I too want to write a Star Wars for 4th ed. My plan so far is to use Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior (allowing Monk and Swordmage), and Jedi Consular (allowing Ardent and Psion) / Sith Inquisitor (allowing Wizard and Bard)
Locke: [after mugging a merchant for his clothes] It's a little tight, but the price was right.
instead of using a other classes since non of them match properaly y not barrow from them, take the powers that fit the idea of the jedi and make the builds/powers up from what already exsists, like the sword mage power that grants bonus ac when he has a hand free, or the sword mages power to throw sword duplicates the jedi power throw saber nicely there are a huge number of sword mage psion and other class powers that when compiled into a single list should do what u guys are after very well with only minimal work mainly refluffing powers and compiling the lists
An' ye harm none, do what ye will

@stargazer_dragon: Precisely. I plan to do just that, and the classes I mentioned are my models thus far.

One of my friends rolled a swordmage and just renamed the abilities to more Jedi-themed abilities.
yea the sword mage is definatly the best base to use for the class, it already has a strong jedi feal. it is what a few of my old players joked about that the sword mage reminded them a lot of jedi. I thought 4th ed made a star wars theme thing guess I was wrong musta ben made for some other system
An' ye harm none, do what ye will

Your reflect and dodge abilities seem a little unbalanced I think it should read something along the lines of "when an attacker targets this player, the player may choose to roll against that attack roll with a wis/dex +5" or something to that effect as you have it now the Jedi gets to see if the attack hits then if it does he gets to have a whole extra roll to not only thwart the attack but make one of his own. 

Sign In to post comments