Dragon 386 - Channel Divinity: Corellon – The House of Flowers

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png         Dragon 386
Channel Divinity: Corellon
The House of Flowers

By Andrew Schneider

Today's Dragon article features a new House of the Feywild, the House of Flowers, led in legend by the Rose King, supposedly the son of Corellon, who sought to eradicate the problem of the Drow.  The article includes feats for Avengers, Bards, Clerics, Paladins, and Swordmages that wield longswords, as well as two backgrounds and three Grandmaster Trainings. 

Hate the drow? Don’t be ridiculous. How can you hate something that has no place in the world? Their entire existence was an accident—a mistake— and it is up to us to correct it.

Talk about this article here.
dnd_drfe_20100422_pic1_en.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Cool article, though I don't really get why it's labeled as CD: Corellon, since it barely has any connection.

I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed. It is a fairly well-written article, and the House of Flowers is an intriguing idea for an ally/patron/enemy (or all three), but what does it have to do with Corellon? An organization like this is too specific for an article devoted to a deity. The feats seem pretty good, though.

i agree. fantastic article and a good set of powers for a team that wants to get some nice riders for a few powers. but, i just don't see much connection to Corellon. I guess that i can't see where else it might get included... but that's not reason enough.

it is great to see grandmaster training. i also really like the flavorful backstory. as i have a team currently working on some fluff related to the Caelynnvala which are mentioned in AV2, this could provide some fodder for a group of indiviuals that would exist as protagonists to their efforts.

the hard things is that this would make all these feats and the grandmaster training a bit out of place if they gained access to Liria. As the Caelynnvala they are meant to be seeking reconciliation and Liria wants vengeance.

perhaps i can have them meet Liria and get some training, but later discover the true depth of Liria's vendetta. then i can wait to see what the players choose when they realize that Liria has been training them in direct opposition to their campaign quest.

i'm also glad to see some more fluff related to the eladrin/fey hierarchy of houses and leadership. this provides some details related to a House of Flowers. Since there is a bit of info about a Summer court and the Winter Bralani, this really just adds to the depth of their culture.

Bravo to the writer! Whah? to the editor that placed it within the Channel Divinity series of articles.
Agreed with everyone else in this thread:

-Great article!
-Please stop mislabelling things as Channel Divinity!
From the Avenger perspective, the limitation to longswords make the crunch elements ... much less interesting.  Losing high-crit and 2 points of damage per [W] really hurts, and freeing up a feat doesn't sooth the pain enough to justify taking these feats

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

From the Avenger perspective, the limitation to longswords make the crunch elements ... much less interesting.  Losing high-crit and 2 points of damage per [W] really hurts, and freeing up a feat doesn't sooth the pain enough to justify taking these feats

This is true for most of the new feats, but I think Rose King's Shield might be worth wielding a longsword (and using a power as crappy as Focused Fury!). The amount of hit points gained without moving makes the attack a melee equivalent of Radiant Vengeance (a very welcome addition because it works with Oath) and if you have moved... well, nothing short of a Battlerager can get that many THP at-will.

Not that you'd need to use the longsword as your main weapon - If I were to make an avenger with the feat, I'd try switching between fullblade (for most powers) and longsword  (for the THP). It would be a bit complicated to pull off without Quick Draw, but I think it could work.

I'm a bit worried about swordmage applications of the feat, though, since longswords are actually decent swordmage weapons, and  booming blade, though not spectacular, is not a terrible power either. Then again, maybe requiring you to cast something other than Sword Burst is enough of a drawback ;)
My blog about 4e rules and news: Square Fireballs The Magic Item Reset: A standalone set of items for 4E
Not a big fan of the first half of the article; the story was a bit silly, but I am a big fan of the feats and grandmaster training. Character optimizers will not much like them, but I am a big fan of using feats to round a character out by giving it a focus and theme. 

As an aside, although I REALLY like treasure such as boons or grandmaster training (and I hope to see touchstones and legendary weapons brought back into the game) we should really limit how many boons or grandmaster training a character can carry around at one time. 

I'm a bit worried about swordmage applications of the feat, though, since longswords are actually decent swordmage weapons, and  booming blade, though not spectacular, is not a terrible power either. Then again, maybe requiring you to cast something other than Sword Burst is enough of a drawback ;)

Actually Rose King's Balm is pretty good for Assault Swordmages if they chose to go with Greenflame Blade. It's already a fairly decent power made better by this feat, especially come paragon onward where save ends effects are much more common.

Rose King's Run and Rose King's Step are both a waste. No Swordmage bothers climbing when they can teleport and no Swordmage uses Luring Strike. Thats like packaging two crappy things into one. It's still crap.

Rose King's Shield is ridiculously good though since Booming Blade is probably the second most popular Swordmage at-will. The fact that it grants temp HP is just great and the feat won't interfere with White Lotus feats.