multiple damage types, multiple vulnerabilities

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I can't quite find the answer that I'm looking for.

If I deal radiant and necrotic damage to a target that has vulnerability 15 to radiant, and vulnerability 15 to necrotic, do I deal both the vulnerabilities?

Looking at the rules updates, I gleaned the following:

1) Vulnerabilities still apply when you're dealing a combined damage type. This doesn't really answer the specific question I'm asking.

2)  Vulnerabilities of the same kind don't stack. This doesn't answer the question either - do vulnerabilities of a different kind stack?

If I deal radiant and necrotic damage to a target that has vulnerability 15 to radiant, and vulnerability 15 to necrotic, do I deal both the vulnerabilities?

Looking at the rules updates, I gleaned the following:

1) Vulnerabilities still apply when you're dealing a combined damage type. This doesn't really answer the specific question I'm asking.

2)  Vulnerabilities of the same kind don't stack. This doesn't answer the question either - do vulnerabilities of a different kind stack?

Yes, because the general rule is that when you deal damage of the vulnerability's type, you deal extra damage, and there is nothing preventing you from dealing the extra damage of two different types.

Yes.

If you do 5 necrotic and radiant damage to a target with vulnerable 15 radiant/vulnerable 15 necrotic, he will take 35 points of damage.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.

I would say no, merely because it seems overly powerful to have an attack that would original deal (say) 20 damage to now deal 50.

The only basis I can think of for a ruling, however, is the non-stacking of multiple vulnerabilities to the same damage.  If a target has vulnerable 5 radiant, and I use a power to give it vulnerable 5 to radiant, my radiant attacks don't deal 10 extra damage; likewise, I don't think that giving it vulnerable 5 to fire would make my radiant+fire attacks deal 10 extra damage.

But that's a weak argument, so I'd say come down on the conservative side for balance's sake.

But that's a weak argument, so I'd say come down on the conservative side for balance's sake.

Whereas I figure if you've managed to stack on that many vulnerabilities and then hit them all, you deserve your mad bonus damage.

It's like the Zombie Horde swarm monster - it's got Vulnerability 10 Close/Area attacks, 5 Radiant, 20 Critical Hits - so a crit with an Area Attack that does Radiant Damage does 35 extra damage.  I'm really kind of okay with that.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Raw I agree with above.  My houserule is vulnerability damage cannot exceed the original damage. 

(Radiant and Necrotic) is considered one damage type. If you have vulnerable to Radiant and/or Necrotic, you have vulnerable to (Radiant and Necrotic). 

Use the lowest applicable Resist and/or the highest applicable Vulnerability.

If you have Vulnerable to all, you have Vulnerable to Radiant and Vulnerable to Necrotic and Vulnerable to (Radiant and Necrotic), yet few would argue that you would take extra damage more than once from a single attack.

The Zombie Horde has one vulnerability to a damage type, one to an attack range, and one to an attack roll, so that might work differently.