D&D Encounters as supplement

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone,

I started a thread before, but something went wrong. Hopefully this one will go through!

I apologize if this question has already been addressed, but I couldn't find anything about it.

This past week, I have been reading around the internet about D&D Encounters. I found it a very exciting new way to play D&D. The renown system makes you feel like your character really gets famous amongst adventurers, you really feel like you're part of something big. Also, the fact that each encounter takes only an hour or two really works well for those people who don't have a lot of time on their hands. Unfortunately, I don't live near a place where it is hosted, so I can't enjoy this way of playing D&D myself. I don't mind, because I have a fun group of friends to play with.

But, this whole idea got me thinking. I am a teacher of English as a second language, and some of my pupils found out about this little hobby of mine called D&D, and they got very excited when they heard what it was. They keep asking me about it. It's quite funny, really.

I wouldn't mind hosting a couple of games for them, perhaps I could even turn it into something educational, but I really don't have time to prepare much, and these kids don't have all the time in the world to play after school.

So I was thinking, will the materials that stores get be released as a supplement, once this season is finished? It would be really easy if I could just buy a whole set with pre-made characters, dungeons that only take 2 to 3 hours but are still part of a story, and if more pupils want to play, the renown system makes for some friendly competition as well. It would be a really great set for starting up something at school!

Thank you for reading.
Daniel 
While there is no way to know at this point if they will turn previous Encounters seasons into retail products, you can do pretty much the same thing as Encounters with your group of students (granted, it won't be the same story as Encounters is using).  Here's how:

Take just about any adventure and divide it up by the encounters found within.  Then, following along with the story of the adventure, just run one encounter per session.  At the following page you'll find links to PDFs of 2 low-level adventures:

www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

The good thing about these 2 particular adventures is that they come included with pre-generated characters for you to use (and they're FREE!).

After you divide the adventure up by encounters, all you really need are the renown rewards.  For those, you can go to the following link and find the downloads for RPGA Rewards Cards (there are 2; one for 2008 & one for 2009).  Look through those and pick out the ones you like the best:

www.wizards.com/dnd/event.aspx?x=dnd/4ne...

The only thing that isn't worked out at this point is how to award renown points.  For that, you can come up with your own criteria, or you can very easily just use the criteria for the Encounters program itself, as follows:

clear.gifx.gifclear.gifComplete an Encounter:3 Renown Points
clear.gifx.gifclear.gifHit a Milestone:2 Renown Points
clear.gifx.gifclear.gifComplete All Quests:5 Renown Points*
clear.gifx.gifclear.gifRevive a Dying Adventurer:1 Renown Point*
clear.gifx.gifclear.gifHit for +15 Damage Against 1 Enemy:1 Renown Point*
clear.gifx.gifclear.gifKill 3 Minions with 1 Attack:1 Renown Point*
clear.gifx.gifclear.gifTake 50 Enemy Damage in 1 Session:1 Renown Point*
clear.gifx.gifclear.gifSurvive 8+ Sessions without Dying:2 Renown Points*
clear.gifx.gifclear.gifMoment of Greatness:2 Renown Points*

(Accomplishments with * are only earnable once per season, per player)

I actually removed the last 3 that were there because they aren't necessary for your purposes.  They're really just marketing for D&D Insider and Player's Handbook 3 (instead of a real accomplishment worthy of renown).

Hope that helps get you on your way to some Encounters-style fun!

Thanks for the tip. I guess you're right. I own Keep on the Shadowfell, so I could do that.

However, the thing about the Encounter thing is, it really feels like you are only one adventure group amongst many, and the renown system makes sense in a way that you are competing with other adventurers. I kind of like that setting.

That's not to say I can't change anything in this adventure though... Heck, I could just wing everything entirely.

I still hope WotC will read this and consider it.
However, the thing about the Encounter thing is, it really feels like you are only one adventure group amongst many

I don't really know what you mean by this. I think you may have the wrong idea. Unless you mean how you can come on here and see how other groups handled the same situation differently. Inside the game, there are no other adventuring groups that you're competing with. And you're not competing with the ones outside the game, either.
Hmmm..... To me, that was the way it felt though, as if you are "competing" with everyone around the world. It's just that the way the setting is described, the way the whole adventure is being handled, what with renown points and all. It gives you (or well, at least me) an idea that you are but one group of adventurers setting forth in that dungeon. 

So I guess I have the wrong idea, but the whole idea reminds me of several (older console) games that had a similar setting and where other adventurers went into the same dungeons as you to do the same thing. The whole renown system kind of reminds me of that.

You're right I guess. The story is the same for everyone, implying that they are not "together", but that could have been the idea, kind of like how Undermountain below Waterdeep is a dungeon that many adventurers venture into. That's the way it is played out in my mind anyways. Really, if you ask me, that is the way they should've done it.

But whether or not it is, that still doesn't change the fact that I would really appreciate it if this would be released as a supplement set so that I can host these quick sessions for my pupils, because it sounds like a lot of fun. Also, I'm really just a pretty new DM, so any encounter perfectly laid out for me only helps me improve. Especially the skill challenges, I really lack the proper experience to play these out well.
Why don't you try contacting Wizards direct about this, wanting to run D&D Encounters at an after school club rather than a retail store. They've openly said that they are looking for way to "improve" the way things are run. You might not get anywhere - but it doesn't hurt to try.
There is in the kit a "leader board" sort of tracking poster where you can write down each player and their renown, but I would guess few stores are really doing that directly on the poster.

If you think that is a cool mechanic, you could create the idea of a competing team and have some renown you assign to them that the PCs could compete against. (You hear tales of how one of them took on an ogre single-handedly... they got moment of greatness...)

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Exactly! That was kind of how I imagined it to work.

Anyways, I followed up on your advice, Darrel_UK, and Wizards replied in a very timely manner, with a satisfying answer, if you ask me.

Basically they said the same thing you just said, that they are looking for ways to improve, and my suggestion is forwarded to the Game Support. Hopefully that will put some things in motion!

Thanks for the heads-up everyone.
There is in the kit a "leader board" sort of tracking poster where you can write down each player and their renown, but I would guess few stores are really doing that directly on the poster.

Really? We didn't think twice in doing so.

Really? We didn't think twice in doing so.

Nor did we.  
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Hmmm..... To me, that was the way it felt though, as if you are "competing" with everyone around the world. It's just that the way the setting is described, the way the whole adventure is being handled, what with renown points and all. It gives you (or well, at least me) an idea that you are but one group of adventurers setting forth in that dungeon. 

So I guess I have the wrong idea, but the whole idea reminds me of several (older console) games that had a similar setting and where other adventurers went into the same dungeons as you to do the same thing. The whole renown system kind of reminds me of that.

You're right I guess. The story is the same for everyone, implying that they are not "together", but that could have been the idea, kind of like how Undermountain below Waterdeep is a dungeon that many adventurers venture into. That's the way it is played out in my mind anyways. Really, if you ask me, that is the way they should've done it.

Well, that sort of *is* how we did it--at least in my mind (and I'm the author, which might count for something)!

The Forgotten Realms setting in particular has always been a vast tapestry where thousands of stories are going on all the time. While in an individual campaign the PCs should definitely be the focus of your epic tale, that doesn't mean there aren't thousands of other, competing/rival adventuring groups out there doing quests, earning/finding/stealing treasure, and (sometimes) giving goodly adventurers (ostensibly like the PCs) a bad name. I for one see the Encounters as a reflection of just such an aesthetic.

Then again, if you take the more solipsistic route of "these are the only adventurers worth note", then that's fine too. You need to do whatever works best in your campaign.

Cheers
My plan at the end of the #dndenc season is to let my regular players have a chance to play Three Dragon Ante for my copy of the Mini-Campaign which they just completed. I find this gives me a way have a session that takes the monotonousness out of frequent play, as well as lets a player walk away with something he wouldn't have been able to have gotten before.
Presto 1 player now gets the #dndenc as a game supplement. Cool
Links that I find very useful, will be added here. http://community.wizards.com/vinciente/blog/2010/02/24/useful_damp;d_pageslinks
Cross posting from [community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...]

I organize D&D Public Events at a library. Earlier at PAX East, I spoke with Chris Tulach and Trevor Kidd about D&D Encounters in non-store locations. They understood that my LGS was 25 miles away, and they said to work with the store.

They pointed out that it's important for stores to sanction Encounters to help promote and sell the store's product, but that didn't mean the game had to be played IN the store. The shop can sponsor and sanction ANY venue, as long as it's open to the public, promotes the store sanctioning it, and played on Wednesday.

It DOES have to be on Wednesdays, to establish a standard, among other things.

That said, D&D Encounters Season 2: Dark Sun just opened up this week on April 28 for stores to order kits. The new season will run for 15 weeks, from June 9 through September 15.
[dungeonsmaster.com/2010/05/dd-encounters...]