Players - post your Moments of Greatness!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I thought I would start a thread for players this time:

What Moments of Greatness have occurred at your tables?

I'll start with one from this session. We had a player bring his wife for her first game. She decides on one PC, then shifts to the Psion pregen when a late-comer brings the same PC. First round, she attacks a bloody critter, rolls her first ever d20... a 20... Crit! Down goes the creature. Next turn, she rolls a 19 and takes another creature down. Next turn she hits (rolling a 15) with augments on Mind Thrust to lower a critter's defenses, uses her Tiefling bonus as a minor, then rolls a low number on her action point but hits because of the tactics - down goes another creature. Yeah, we all agreed she had made an impressive start to her adventuring career!

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Our notable MoG occurred in encounter 1-4, when the half-elf bard used his AoE-push power to go 'statue bowling' - sending most of them tumbling down the stairs.
We finally had a moment of greatness last night in our group (the DM has been stingy with them, but really no one has done anything "great" until now) and it was me.

My Minotaur Warden lead the group into the room. After 2 rounds, the two melee creatures were dead, one pulsar had floated up to the platform, and TWO Thought Eaters floated out of the hole (we had 7 players at our table). After a few lucky tentacle attacks, I was down to 9 hit points (from 38- Str/Con Warden w/ toughness). The remaining creatures were all at various stages of damage.

I moved around one of the crystals and attacked one with Weight of Earth and marked it. Then I spent my action point and charged the other (that was hovering over the pit), my badge of the berserker I picked up a few weeks ago stopped the OA. Hit him with Warden's Lunge to mark him as well, but he dies from the attack. Oh well.

The Taints, et al go next (the PCs all had really good init.), and the Pulsar on the platform decides to bull rush me into the pit. He rolls a freakin' 20. Ouch. The 2d10 fall damage takes me to -7. I drop like a stone.

That pulsar gets taken out, but the Thought Eater I marked decided to float down the pit and OM NOM NOM on my corpse. Of course he hits, and I am now at -18. 1 point from negative bloodied. Everyone rushes to the edge of the pit (or close enough for some...), the Halfling Sorceror throws his ever burning torch down so they can see me, one cleric gives me some healing love and I'm back up to 9, on my turn I drink a healing potion, and finally our OTHER cleric hits me for another healing word (he had used his daily earlier, so his uber-heal topped me off). The thought eater floats up and tries to blast everyone, and only hits one guy. Team good guy mops the floor with his face, and I get to climb out of the hole.

Good moments of great dice and action. I have a couple comments that may be rules things for your DM to look up.
I'm pretty sure when your below zero and receive healing, you start from zero and add up.
I also think anytime an action would cause you to fall over an edge you get a saving throw to fall prone instead.

I could be wrong I don't have a book with me, but those may be some finer rules points your DM should be aware of if they are teaching 4e to people for encounter groups especially.

So my Hybrid Ardent/Battlemind's MoG came during session 5. We've managed to get spread out in the room and we're facing off against various rat things in various places. My Ardent side has allowed folks to get a lot OA damage out (Mantle) and I've crit'd once on an OA already. We're getting close to the end of the fight but still have a couple of rats and the Clay Scout to deal with. The Scout has been causing one of our characters (I forget which) some trouble by making itself invisible to him so I step up to it, and mark it, to try and help him out. It decides it doesn't like where it is, pinned between the bookcase and me so it tries to move past, drawing an OA from my character and another PC. They miss, but I crit, again, doing 18 damage and taking it from not quite bloodied to dead in one hit.

Between that, and I think the sheer amount of extra damage I'd helped the party do, my DM decided I'd earned my MoG.

Good moments of great dice and action. I have a couple comments that may be rules things for your DM to look up.
I'm pretty sure when your below zero and receive healing, you start from zero and add up.
I also think anytime an action would cause you to fall over an edge you get a saving throw to fall prone instead.

I could be wrong I don't have a book with me, but those may be some finer rules points your DM should be aware of if they are teaching 4e to people for encounter groups especially.

Correct on both counts. I failed the saving throw, and the healing started at 0. It still took 2 juiced healing words and a potion to bring me to full.
I witnessed a pregen Monk flip over a swarm of rats and eradicate 3 others in one turn!  Pretty awesome...
I witnessed a new player (Ranger), in her first session, get knocked out.  The cleric rushed to heal her, and on her turn she stood up, shot (natural 20 crit!) on a bloodied guy to kill him, then used her action point to shoot (another natural 20 crit!) on a second bloodied guy, to kill him as well!

The moment of greatness was hers, and the excitement from the natural 20s was enough to hook her into a returning player!
Upon entry into Undermountain, the adventurers were approached by an apparent gang of thugs. With the top of the initiative under his belt, the bard advanced on the gang, and (tossing in his Words of Friendship for a +5 diplomacy boost to his standard +9 check), announced that the adventurers were looking for a pair of additional members to the group, and they would take the two toughest of the gang on board. The bard then gave a spiffy drum roll, and laid out a 19 (modified to a 34) on the Diplomacy roll, the gang was 3/4 convinced to join up...until the doppelganger jumped into the mix, daggers flashing.

As the fight started to wind down, with one party member down against a dead scorpion, and a vivisected doppleganger, the bard pulls himself up from the ground (where a recurring polearm smash kept knocking him), and told the two human guards that they had proven themselves, and they could join....and followed it up with a (modified) 31 Diplomacy check. The guards looked around, mourned the loss of their scorpion....and joined up.

Drum for playing the bardic music: 2 gp
Snazzy cape for dramatic effect on the battlefield: 35 sp
Seeing the DM's face when the bard knocks out a Diplomacy check of 34....priceless...

-Kharybdis, Hobgoblin bard.

Sign In to post comments