Casual for Players (kind-of) but a commitment for DMs = Problem

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think the DELVE format was a lot more friendly for impromptu DMs. Players can easily come and go, but if you decide to DM, you're stuck. If you can't make a week everyone is screwed. I think, only for this "weekly" Encounters and not for any other "organized play", that the format of the season to be practically a complete module is the wrong way to go. Each weekly encounter should be about 2-4 pages long and mostly stand alone (just like Dungeon Delve.) It should be possible for anyone to DM at any given week. 

I'm in a unique position that I've been to different styles of organized play, from home-games, to small conventions & Gen Con - so finding tables and groups is easy for me. But I can see how a newbie, brand new to D&D, punching in her ZIP code in the website, locating a store, all excited to "try it out", but only to find all tables situated with steady groups of D&D players. I would find that intimidating.

I personally think it would be better if every table, every week was different with different players and DMs. I would like to be able to DM one week, and play another if I so desire. I only say this because I committed to DM, have only "playered" once, but was fortunate enough to rather DM.

Honestly it's cool that the Season is actually a complete adventure, with a steady storyline and continuity. But I was under the impression that Encounters would be a weekly - casual play - D&D experience. The encounters could, and should, definitely be part of an on-going story - but it should be a lot looser. 
It is hard to jump into DMing- I had to have group #2 founded for session 3. With about an hour for the new DM to look over the adventure, and it being a semi-vague skill challenge, I didn't hear much excitement from that neighbouring group that evening. 

I have never experienced the delves myself, but it sounds fun, and a friendlier format for rank newbies. Is that still going on?  
The Delves were replaced by Encounters. I think conceptually, Encounters is better. A single 1 or 2 hour encounter, every week, that is part of an on-going story line is pretty brilliant - especially for drop-ins and casual players.

I'm just concerned with the format of the actual adventure, which is a complete 12 encounter adventure. It isn't flexible enough for DMs to drop in & out because the continuity is pretty thick. If the continuity between encounters were more loose and standalone, like the Delves were, it'd be perfect. 

It's something the season designers need to keep in mind to make the sessions more flexible for DMs.
I think a good format for the encounters would be to have the story allow going back to town (or reaching another town) for the extended rest.  This way there is continuity, but it would be more open for a break every 4 encounters or so.

As the current one with the extended rest being mid way down a stairway, it doesn't allow for as much of a continuity break.

I don't know if this is just an illusion of being less strict on DM's.  But personally I'd be more open to DM for a short series of sessions, and then go back to my character, instead of feeling like I signed up for the long-haul of the season.  It'd also be nice if they'd allow DM's to get something for exp (treasure really doesn't seem like a big deal for this one.. but missing 4 encounters might make you miss out on ever hitting level 2 with this), when they run a session instead of play.  This would allow a group to do a rotating GM per extended rest.

Just some ideas/suggestions for future seasons. 

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

Yeah, the suspension of belief is difficult to maintain when swapping PCs in and out every week -- especially after being "sealed in" to the dungeon.

I am running a character this week -- and only this week -- in another DMs game where I encounter the party while pursuing a "monster." The explanation for me being gone the next week is that I find the trail again and leave them to resume my hunt.
Yeah, the suspension of belief is difficult to maintain when swapping PCs in and out every week -- especially after being "sealed in" to the dungeon.

This was something that didn't really occur to me when we started, as I'm used to LFR where that is the norm. It is, however, a critique that one of our bloggers brought up in week two.

It would be nice if it was set up in such a way as to encourage DM rotation. I would love to get a chance to play, but doing so is tricky.

However, I *love* this format in comparison to both LFR and Dungeon Delve. It's great to have a longstanding adventure. The only problem is that a couple of times, the player that took home the loot did not show up the following week. It's a bit awkward then, as I feel the party should not be shorted the previous week's power bump, but I don't want to dispossess a player of their equipment, either.
Our group ran into this.  Where the person (1) who got the loot knew they weren't going to make it the next week.

So one of the other group member's (2) is holding onto it for him till he makes it again.  Then the next week we actually got an item that the second group member wanted.  So he's got that, and someone else is holding onto the first person's item.

We have a pretty regular group, though up to 4 tables are there each week, we just swap items amongst the group. 

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

Sign In to post comments