4/21/2010 BoaB: "Sovereigns of Found Conscription"

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
 This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
already im picturing just a remix of his sovereigns of lost alara deck and running Eldrazi Conscription instead of gigantiform.  Please prove me wrong...
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
uhh... I think its a GREAT idea, because I used to have a bant enchantment deck that ran sovereigns of lost alara, and eldrazi conscription is just so rediculously awesome with that...

I have an issue with this issue of Building on a Budget...

HOW do you attach Eldrazi conscription on a creature with shroud? You can't target that creature...
Sovereign of Alara merely puts the enchantment in play enchanting the attacking creature.  Nowhere does it say "target"  Moving Auras around never targets the enchanted creature.  Simic Guildmage can put an aura on a creature with shroud as well.  Auras only target when they are a spell on the stack; otherwise they do not target.
I'm shocked Deft Duelist was not in here.  Shroud is great in a format filled with point removal.
Sovereign of Alara merely puts the enchantment in play enchanting the attacking creature.  Nowhere does it say "target"  Moving Auras around never targets the enchanted creature.  Simic Guildmage can put an aura on a creature with shroud as well.  Auras only target when they are a spell on the stack; otherwise they do not target.
I'm shocked Deft Duelist was not in here.  Shroud is great in a format filled with point removal.

He pointed out he wanted creatures that replace themselves in here, utility creatures over efficient beaters like the duelist.

Snapper is just too good to pass up though. 
Well it is certainly a lot better than his previous Sovereigns of Lost Alara deck.  That said, the concept certainly looks fun, but I think other deck will be actually casting their Emrakul's and Ulamog's by the time this goes off.
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
Have a Renegade Doppelganger or two in play when you cast Sovereigns.

+10/+10 and trample is nice and all, but it is no +30/+30 trample trample trample.

He pointed out he wanted creatures that replace themselves in here, utility creatures over efficient beaters like the duelist.

Snapper is just too good to pass up though.

I was expecting the Duelist too, but it's also worth noting that sometimes he'll want to hardcast a Conscription.  If all of his guys have Shroud, he can't do that.

Maybe White Knight would be good here.  Once you get it equipped, neither Black nor Red can deal with it.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Have a Renegade Doppelganger or two in play when you cast Sovereigns.

+10/+10 and trample is nice and all, but it is no +30/+30 trample trample trample.

That sounds amazing. 
This is pretty much the deck I was looking for since the last Lost Alara deck. I tried taking the green out of that deck, but Celestial Mantle alone just never stacked up to Gigantiform. I had settled on a blue/white exalted theme, but its great to know I can finally get my Soverigns of Lost Alara back into the enchantment-based deck.
I think that we are right in assuming this is merely his former Sovereigns of Lost Alara deck with RoE updates, as one blogger posted.  Usually devoting entire articles to updates like this annoys me, but here it didn't.  This list is just so much better than the previous list that I think it merits a new article.  I too was surprised by the lack of Deft Dualist.  He made such a big deal about how underrated it was and now what (?!) . . . the metagame hasn't changed that much.  I think he could find a way of sneaking in 3-4 more.  It looks like the deck could use more creatures anyway.  Also, this is a minor point, but I think somewhere in the article he hinted at See Beyond being a one mana spell.  Does he think it costs one mana?  It doesn't.  It would be a great card for u, better than Ponder for this list.  At 1u, I think it is overpriced. 
I'm confused in this part of the article where he said:

"My favorite trick happens when my opponent casts a second Polymorph and finds a second copy of Emrakul. I like to Oblivion Ring my first Journey to Nowhere or Oblivion Ring and make my opponent shuffle both copies of the card back into his or her library. It may seem silly to offer a chance of drawing a third Polymorph, but I'd rather roll my dice with my opponent drawing a third and me not having a Journey or Oblivion Ring than risk an Into the Roil on my Journey to Nowhere for an end-of-turn Emrakul."

How does that make the opponent shuffle both copies of the card back to the library?
How does that make the opponent shuffle both copies of the card back to the library?

Emrakul is legendary.

Emrakul is legendary.

to emrakul's = legends rule= both die= both get shuffled
Thanks! I forgot that little detail.
I have always had a soft spot for the sovereigns of lost alara. At the release event (draft) my opponent assumed it had flying because of the art so I won the game on the spot. So I will always enjoy seeing him in decks. I think another creature that could be considered is umbra mystic. Unfortunately it probably doesn't do enough to win the game in and of itself but I kinda like my pipe dream. Maybe I'll make a deck with sovereigns' and mystic's down the road sometime.  
Don't be too smart to have fun

I can't help but notice that he didn't play any trial games. I know the games are usually played on MTGO, but I would think he could grab a buddy! That is just one of my favorite parts of the article, reading about how the deck plays out in a few situations.

I'll definately put this together. Looks like a lot of fun for the casual table.

Reading my opponents isnt really a skill I wanted to learn, but I'll try to take more notice.

JVL is definately spot on with the power level of blue in limited RoE. Sea Gate Oracle and See Beyond are obviously strong but even Regress is gold against the levelers and Eldrazi, especiallly Eldrazi Conscription but often your opponent cant cast thier Eldrazi again since they sacrificed spawn to cast it the first time.

Emrakul is legendary.

to emrakul's = legends rule= both die= both get shuffled

One clarification -- not only do both Emrakuls get shuffled back into the library, but the opponent's entire graveyard does too.

"When Emrakul is put into a graveyard from anywhere, it's owner shuffles his or her graveyard into
his or her library."

Given this comment:

"It may seem silly to offer a chance of drawing a third Polymorph,..."

...I wonder if even Jacob realizes that shuffling Emrakul will basically put his opponent's Polymorphs back into his deck, giving him a chance to draw a third, fourth, or possibly even fifth Polymorph.

Certainly seems like a fun casual deck, though.

--
Pauper

--

Pauper

"Nothing in my view is more reprehensible than those habits of mind in the intellectual that induce avoidance, that characteristic turning away from a difficult and principled position, which you know to be the right one, but which you decide not to take. You do not want to appear too political; you are afraid of seeming controversial; you want to keep a reputation for being balanced, objective, moderate; your hope is to be asked back, to consult, to be on a board or prestigious committee, and so to remain within the responsible mainstream...."  -Edward Said

I can't help but notice that he didn't play any trial games. I know the games are usually played on MTGO, but I would think he could grab a buddy! That is just one of my favorite parts of the article, reading about how the deck plays out in a few situations.

You know, I really didn't think of it till you mentioned it, but I don't mind it. I like writers to focus more on building the decks than playing them, because I've never really been able to gauge if I like a deck or not by reading their games. But, if he did play some games, maybe telling us which decks this one preforms poorly against would be nice, so if we did sleeve this up for FNM we could SB for those decks.

EDIT:
By the way JVL, very well done. Like this week's article a lot.

(at)MrEnglish22

I have always had a soft spot for the sovereigns of lost alara. At the release event (draft) my opponent assumed it had flying because of the art so I won the game on the spot.

Seriously, though, it should have flying. It really should.

Nice deck today, I liked it.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Nice article, Serji Merfolk really should be deft dualist
I just want to verify .... Soverigns of lost Alara will allow you to enchant a calcite snapper??....  Soverigns reads "search your library for an Aura card that could enchant that creature" the bolded part is technically not true for calcite snapper because of shroud.... .. maybe I am reading to much into it.....  Ive only been back playing magic since Jan  so I am trying to make sure i get the rules down correctly.

thanks

RJ

Conscription is a creature enchantment so it can enchant any creature that doesn't have something weird like protection from enchantments or protection from colourless.

Shroud stops the creature from being targeted.

This sums up to the creature doesn't mind being enchanted but you need to find a sneaky, non-targeting way to get the enchantment on it in the first place; this is where the soverigns come in handy.

Does that make sense?

I just want to verify .... Soverigns of lost Alara will allow you to enchant a calcite snapper??....  Soverigns reads "search your library for an Aura card that could enchant that creature" the bolded part is technically not true for calcite snapper because of shroud.... .. maybe I am reading to much into it.....  Ive only been back playing magic since Jan  so I am trying to make sure i get the rules down correctly.

thanks

RJ

Shroud simply means that it can't be the target of spells or abilities. The only time an aura targets a creature is when it is on the stack. Since it never goes on the stack it never targets the creature. Unfortunately the rules are kind of weird when it comes to putting enchantments into play with things like warp world and you basically move the aura to a creature (without targetting that creature) which avoids targetting restrictions like shroud.
Any non-budget suggestions to make this deck a little moar viable outside of casual play? I would think 4 Glacial Fortress would be obvious, but something more for card draw to get the combo out faster?
This article was great from the Type-2 player's view, but let's face it, the majority of MTG players play casually with their friends. That being said, dropping eldrazi conscription turn THREE with arcanum wings is a hell of a lot more fun than turn... seven. Great article though.
This article was great from the Type-2 player's view, but let's face it, the majority of MTG players play casually with their friends. That being said, dropping eldrazi conscription turn THREE with arcanum wings is a hell of a lot more fun than turn... seven. Great article though.

His deck can get it out on turn 5 don't forget the borderposts can be hardcast. Also you're forgetting that while sovereigns of lost alara doesn't have haste it also doesn't have to be the one attacking so you get the eldrazi conscription the turn that the card comes into play as long as your calcite snapper (or whatever) is still around.
In an attempt to get this deck a little closer towards standard here are a few of the changes I've made to the list I've proxied up. I think that this deck is good, but is a one trick pony that would have problems in games 2/3 without ways to make sure that Sovereign stays alive. A protected cast of 8 does seem to be quite alot(5wuu - Sovereigns + Negate)...

-4 Sejiri Merfolk
-2 Eldrazi Conscription
-2 Oblivion Ring
+4 Deft Duelist
+4 Negate

SB so far:
2 Eldrazi Conscription - Moved to SB in favor of Negate to keep a Conscrip up or active. Running up against a deck that has a way to bounce concsrip into the grave, or if the hardcast is needed, usually 1 10/10 trampler is enough tho
2(3) Student of Warfare - Add some good beatyface to the deck if needed (13/13 FS Trample ftw)
2 Oblivion Ring - Moved to sb to run Negates
2 Sejiri Merfolk - Thinned and moved to SB for duelists, swap 1 or 2 Duelist/snapper if the lifelink is needed

I'm new, and probably missing something big, but why play with those artifact lands vs just using dual lands or a glacial fortress?
I'm new, and probably missing something big, but why play with those artifact lands vs just using dual lands or a glacial fortress?

There are no artifact lands in the deck.

If you are mentioning the borderposts, it's because they are an easy and cheap ($$) way of fixing your mana, and the article focuses on budget decks. So it's not necessary to run expensive dual lands when you can have a common artifact that works just the same way as a dual land. Besides, they are a lot better with Knight of the White Orchid, since they aren't really lands, they are just artifacts that produce mana.
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
I see! thank you very much. So if I do have some dual lands, would you advise removing a few of those artifacts and putting in the dual lands? I dont play against people that have those knights
I see! thank you very much. So if I do have some dual lands, would you advise removing a few of those artifacts and putting in the dual lands? I dont play against people that have those knights

If you have Glacial Fortress to add, I'd probably take out basics for them and keep using the borderposts.  Don't forget, you can also pay 3 mana for the borderpost and use it to accelerate to 5, something that the duals won't do. 

If you add Glacial Fortress AND Celestial Colonnade too, then yeah maybe.  But don't go nuts, the borderposts do have some value of their own.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

just to reiterate what amarsir said. You want to play the borderposts not only for the color fixing but also because of the acceleration they provide enabling you to cast your 6 drop on turn 5.

You don't get it. You have the knights in your deck. It's there on the list.
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
I'm a little unclear about the enchantment here...

So, when you use SoLA to cast Eld Conscription, why does the creature get 10/10 trample, but not annihilator 2? I get his explaination, but I just dont get why the creature WOULD get the 10/10 bonus and not the Annihilator.

Sorry I'm new to magic and I dont always get the priority of spells and what not, or the wording of certain cards. Thankyou!

I'm a little unclear about the enchantment here...

So, when you use SoLA to cast Eld Conscription, why does the creature get 10/10 trample, but not annihilator 2? I get his explaination, but I just dont get why the creature WOULD get the 10/10 bonus and not the Annihilator.

Sorry I'm new to magic and I dont always get the priority of spells and what not, or the wording of certain cards. Thankyou!

It has to do with how annihilator triggers.

A triggered ability is put on the stack when "something" triggers that ability. In the case of eldrazi conscription it happens when a creature attacks. However, in order for sovereigns of lost alara to trigger the creature must attack. That means that by the time the creature becomes enchanted with eldrazi conscription the creature is already attacking and so the annihilator doesn't trigger. However, since we are only in the declare attackers step the creature has not been blocked yet and has not dealt any damage so the 10/10 trample is pretty nice to have.
Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification!
This deck is alot of fun to play, and can beat decks with expensive cards like Jura and Jace. I put in a couple of duelists, negates and day of judgement, seemed to work pretty well - i'll let you figure what to swap out to sideboard
Sign In to post comments