Converting OA to 4e. Classes

94 posts / 0 new
Last post
Classes
4e is nice in that you can simply add builds to existing classes to tweek the feel and flavor a bit.  however there are times that a build is not enough and a new class is needed to create what feels right for the character.  I'd like to work on figuring out what people agree on for 4e classes.  What Iconic powers do the OA classes have that would need to be created to make a person feel they were truly playing the OA version and not the western?

No chances needed?
Fighter / Bushi
Monk
Barbarian
Ranger (Though maybe a great class for Demon Hunter builds and Paragons)
Shaman (Maybe only use a multiclass or hybrid Monk build for martial arts options?)
Sorcerer

The following classes I'd like to make updates either with a Build or a new class.
What is needed to fully give the player good options to make them feel they are playing said class?

Samaria
This class could be the trickiest.  Defender?  Striker?  Str or Dex?  There are so many ways people see this class that I feel it could be turned into it's own class vs making only a fighter build for example.

I tend to lean towards str and Defender for this class.  However I can very easily see dex and striker traits as well.  Thoughts?

For This class and possibly others  I was wondering about creating a KI Source.  I know WoTC dropped it and switched the Monk to Psi.  My proposal would be this.  KI is a combination of Martial and Psi sources.  Those who train in this source use mostly martial trianing but they study and focus so greatly that they often unlock and acheive powers that are truly psionic without understanding this power sources true nature.

Samaria Iconic powers
Katana - maybe just a Bastard Sword by rules but they should start with this weapon without the need of a feat.
Iaijutsu - An idea I had here was to go with Defender as the role but offer a week striker power.  Kinda the opposite of how people talk of the avenger having a defenderish power.  My idea here was that once per encounter as you draw your Katana you may add bonus damage to the attack.  Possibly 1d6 / 2d6  / 3d6.  Again it would be usable only once per encounter.

Far more to come I hope.

Ninja
I've not seen the Assassin class can this be come a build for this class?

Sohie
I've always loved this class and would like to really do it justice in 4e.  Their Ki Frenzy reminds me ofthe Monks flurry of blows.  However much of this classes feel is Defender based.  Ideas?

Yakuza
Basically a rogue.  Any changes needed here?

Wu Jen
Possibly wait to see the elemental classes?  Clearly a Controller

Shukenja
I grabbed the wrong book to review this class.  Surely a Healer.  Where could this fit in?

Wow I've used up far more time than I expected for typing so little.  I'll try to keep adding stuff and I'd love to here from any interested in creating 4e OA options.
The big difference between the OA and the regular stuff would be RP/cultural, not mechanical, really.  A character could call himself a samurai while mechanically being a fighter, warlord, ardent, battlemind or ranger very easily.  A ninja could be a rogue, assassin, or monk.

Sohei were a divine class, so I'd let most any divine character call themselves one.

Wu Jen is a Wizard; they even had spellbooks in 3e.

Shugenja was a weird class in general; what element they chose (and by extension, the one they couldn't ever use) affected their role significantly.  No Water access, no healing, for example; this would be another case for 'call yourself a shugenja, mechanically be almost anything'.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Yeah, I'm with Salla on this one. I just don't see why everyone thinks that you need new classes when flavor and some general tweaking of existing classes would work. Generally looking through the powers and making them feel a little more oriental in flavor wouldn't be too hard. My ideas for this would be:

Samurai could be a fighter, your build would be dependant on your clan/house/region or whatever (like if you wanted to use L5R).

I would say keep the monk as is, just reflavor to have a bit of a martial feel to it to combine with the Psi aspect of the class if you wanted.  

For a ninja, a rogue, archer ranger (with the right skill trainings), or assassin would work.  

I agree that any divine class could be a Sohei, but maybe make the different divine classes be different Sohei schooling.

Wu Jen is undoubtly a wizard as Salla already mentioned.

The Shugenja class is a tricky one. I would say take four classes and base them around the elements. For example you could use a Warlock or Sorcerer for Fire, and a Shaman for Water just for example.   
I just don't see why everyone thinks that you need new classes when flavor and some general tweaking of existing classes would work.   

A significant portion of the time, it's because the creator is a Japan/anime fanboy and believes that such things must be more powerful than their 'Western' equivalents.
I just don't see why everyone thinks that you need new classes when flavor and some general tweaking of existing classes would work.   

A significant portion of the time, it's because the creator is a Japan/anime fanboy and believes that such things must be more powerful than their 'Western' equivalents.

That's it. I'm sick of all this "bastard sword" crap that's going on in the 4th Edition system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the 4th Edition system. Here is the stat block I propose for katanas:

(Superior One-Handed Melee Weapon)
2d10 base damage
+5 proficiency bonus
Heavy blade, light blade (counts as both)
High crit, off-hand, reach, versatile

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of katanas in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in 4th Edition, see my new stat block.

EVERY DAY IS HORRIBLE POST DAY ON THE D&D FORUMS. Everything makes me ANGRY (ESPECIALLY you, reader)
Ok cool your jets rouroni wannabe.

I'll be the first to point out that the Katana is a whole other beastie compared to the western bastard swords, the use of bastard sword stats for the katana in 3rd edition is largely due to the hand-and-a-half nature of both blades. I.e. both can be used efficiently in one or both hands, at least according to cinema.

Now if we are to do a setting with samurai I agree that a different weapon should be used, however that monster you posted is by far too unbalanced.

Superior, One-handed, Versatile, +3 Proficiency bonus, d10, heavy blade

The Katana, if anything, is really a 2 handed sword. Most Styles always go for the two handed approach, with the right hand for power, and the left for control. It should have high crit instead.

So:
Superior, Two-handed, High Crit, +3 Prof, d10, heavy blade.

There should be style feat, or a school feat or something to allow you treat it as a versatile blade or at least one handed.

Also, the Katana was made because of a lack of good iron and steel in Japan, and the lack of European armor. European weapons after a time relied on concussive force to damage thier enemies, because of the plate and the abundance of metal. Quite frankly, a Katana (made with the best steel in modern times), with a trained master could easily take on a knight in full plate. Though most likely, a good samurai would have just shot the tin man down with an arrow.

Anyway, the only two classes that need any real re-inventing are the Sohei and the Shugenja. It's a pity that Divine doesn't actually cover more eastern dieties, as that's represented by Primal. It would have been a more defining characteristic for the Sohei if they were primal, but did not suscribe to the same DnD gods or practices. Avengers could make decent Sohei, probably a build needed... The last is the Shugenja. Seriously, toss out the divine hold over, and just make it elemental or psionic or at least more interesting. Look at the Avatar: Elemental Heroes thread, and see what you think.
Ok cool your jets rouroni wannabe.

>He doesn't know it's copypasta.
EVERY DAY IS HORRIBLE POST DAY ON THE D&D FORUMS. Everything makes me ANGRY (ESPECIALLY you, reader)
I don't know what copypasta is either.

Is it cloned spaghetti? 
I don't know what copypasta is either.

Is it cloned spaghetti? 

It was sarcasm.  He was copying and pasting ('copy-pasta') something, in this case, it seems, an actual post from a Japanese fanboi.

Irrelevant tacked-on line: As far as I'm concerned, katana=longsword.
The Katana, if anything, is really a 2 handed sword. Most Styles always go for the two handed approach, with the right hand for power, and the left for control. It should have high crit instead.

(Talking from experience only in kendo)
Its left for power, right for control. its all about the slashing, never about force

I would suggest a superiour weapon, prof +4, 1d8 damage, versitile
(OMG a +4 proficiency weapon, the horror!)
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
 Accuracy is at a premium in 4e a weapon whose prof bonus makes it more accurate than anything else is inherently unbalanced.

(Talking from experience only in kendo)
Its left for power, right for control. its all about the slashing, never about force

I would suggest a superiour weapon, prof +4, 1d8 damage, versitile
(OMG a +4 proficiency weapon, the horror!)

Why exactly would it have +4 prof? That's ridiculously accurate, and for, honestly, no reason.

I don't understand why everyone seems to think katanas should be a supirior weapon. They are a sword, and not even a special sword. Bastard Swords are supirior because they are huge. Katanas are a small sword. They aren't exotic like a katar or a spiked chain.

I'd say just use a longsword. They are pretty much a Japanese longsword.
I dunno, the curve of their blade suggests to me that if you had to use an existing weapon for the stats, that scimitar would actually be better.

Heavy crit for those oh so cinematic beheadings. 
Ah fond memories of a stretch of Oriental Adventures-flavored sessions!

Would definitely be cool to see 4e OA setting and support - I'm sure some third party company has already done it or at least started.

The class reflavoring suggestions are great for now - simple, elegant, and capture the feel and theme.

And a kitana could easily be anything as good or better than a longsword in 4e - well, except the fullblade.  That thing is just terrifyingly huge and heavy, and not a very Oriental-flavored seeming sword.
LEONINE ROAR : Amp Up Your D&D Game : Visit my D&D blog :: FASTER COMBAT : Crush Your Combat Grind
Why do we even have a Scimitar? When really, a greatsword would do just fine? Why do we have a Fullblade when we already have the Greatsword? Really, it's a matter of pandering and semantics at this point.

Also, the whole reason the bastard sword is a superior weapons is the same that a Katana would be a superior weapon. The proposed properties really make it so. Not to mention that a Katana would be useless if used like a longsword. It's a slashing and stabbing two-handed sword. It's not even Versatile in the game meaning, and so forth. Also, bastard swords are called bastard swords I though due to the one and half hand hilts which alllowed the sword to be a good slashing and stabbing weapon; not because they're huge. Really, though if you want to run/convert OA to 4e, I think doing a good conversion of an iconic weapon would be good.

Like I said, why bother with iconic weapons, when simpler weapons would just fine? But no.... we have the Double Scimitar, which really is a Double Sword.. and so on.
Here's my OP from this thread: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Sorry if this has been posted before, but if it was, I did not see it.
In my campaign, the dragonborn come from a continent to the south that was (back in 3.x), an unkown land, an idea I was toying with that there was a continent ruled by dragons in which the primary humanoid inhabitants were mostly draconic or half-dragon, and dragons ruled. This continent is now connected to the primary landmass in which I run my campaigns, but remains fairly mysterious (as of now, any dragonborn players in my campaign are decended from dragonborn who emigrated north over a century before.
 Dragonborn concepts of honor lend to a very bushido-like outlook, and, wanting to emphasize the difference, I wanted everything in thi continent to look and feel a lot different. So, I decided, what if the land were Oriental-themed and the dragons ruled as daimyos over the dragonborn populace?
Just as a flavor thing, I don't intend on making a whole new list of weapons and armor, but I was looking at past Oriental campaign sources and was doing conversions for items and wanted to post them here for people who might want something similar.
Anyone else who would like to contribute is welcome to do so, I will update the lsit on the OP whenever I get the chance.

[u]Armor[/u]
Cloth: No change (Cord Armor?)
 Leather: Ashigaru Armor, Bone Armor, (Cord Armor?)
Hide: Leather Scale, Dhenuka Chainmail: Brigandine Armor, Partial Armor
Scale: Lamellar
Plate: Great Armor (O-yoroi)

[u]Weapons:[/u]
Dagger: Tanto, Aiguchi, Tamo Daggers
Short Sword: Ninja-to, Butterfly Sword, Wakizashi(restricted to nobility)
Bastard Sword: Katana
Greatsword: No-dachi
Falchion: Nagamaki, Ba Gua Dao
Maul: Die Tsuchi
Greatclub: Tetsubo
Greataxe: Ono
Rapier: Tai Chi Sword (scholar's sword)
 Scimitar: Dao
Longspear: Yari
Spear/Javelin: Nage-yari
Quarterstaff: Bo
Club: Jo
Glaive: Naginata
Halberd: Kwan Dao
Parrying Dagger: Sai, Jitte
Sickle: Kama

[u]New Weapons[/u]
Tonfa: Same stats as club, add Defensive and Off-Hand properties.; Military Weapon.
Nunchaku: Military Weapon; +2 Prof.; 1d6 damage; Mace, Flail, Off-Hand Versatile properties. Kusari-Gama: Superior, 2h Double Weapon; +2 Prof.; 1d6/1d6 damage; Light Blade, Flail, Off-Hand, Reach properties. Any additional items, as well as additions to the ones I have already posted are welcome!

I forget who said it, but someone mentioned using the Talenta tangat as your stand-in for a katana.

My 2 coppers, take them as you will. Innocent
Why exactly would it have +4 prof? That's ridiculously accurate, and for, honestly, no reason.

I don't understand why everyone seems to think katanas should be a supirior weapon. They are a sword, and not even a special sword. Bastard Swords are supirior because they are huge. Katanas are a small sword. They aren't exotic like a katar or a spiked chain.

I'd say just use a longsword. They are pretty much a Japanese longsword.

because of the nature of the sword. a katana is as much as a longsword as a rapier is a longsword.

In practice, using a longsword, you use powerfull cutting blows and piercing blows. You could slash with it, but in practice you cut your opponent and slash your sword free. in other words the most damage comes from the initial cut, while the slash does nearly nothing.
With a katana (again - I only know the form thought in kendo), you slash your opponent a hit using the force of the wrists, and slash though.

They are a sword, and not even a special sword.

The katana has a legendairy status amongst weapons (diserved or not), so in a fantasy game, is it not logical that they are superior?

IIRC a mordenkrad is a maul with pins. Does it mather if in reality that makes them worse or better?

Especially in an Oriental adventures game: in Japan, european longswords were considered to be inferiour to katana's. so katana's being a superiour longsword? makes total sense

It's not even Versatile in the game meaning

I disagree. Katate-men, katate-kote, niten ichi-ryuu, iaiutsu ... its not that uncommon to attack with a katana while using only one hand.

And again, in popular culture, katana's are wielded one-handed...
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
I'm just saying for standards, where the majority of users (schools) taught it as a two handed weapon, it should be standardized as one. And with either a weapon school feat or something, then you could easily turn it into a versatile weapon. It also removes it from the Bastard Sword quite a bit, and other large two handed swords.
I haven't vanished everyone.  Thanks for lots of input.  I've been busy and trying to take a moment to write something worth reading.  I'd like to restate I'm not out to play fanboy and make all the OA stuff better.  my true goal is to capture the feel.

Katana - lots of good ideas.  this one has always left people divided.  Maybe the same stats as a bastard sword is the best starter and then have feats that allow for school variance .

I do like the idea of making it a two-weapon sword.  I had a crazy idea of making it +3 d12 "balanced"  This weapon is designed to be used two-handed and is most effective this way.  However it's superior craftsmanship allows it to be wielded one-handed.  When using it one handed the stats are reduced to +2 and d10.

again just a thought to ponder.

The Wakizashi seems so similar to the katana that I would like to make it a smaller superior weapon rather than military.  Superior in many ways helps to express the quality and cost as well as stats.  Is there a way to make better than the short sword without making it better than the rapier?  +3 prof, 1d8, off-hand is already better.

Question for those that know.  Wakizashi = Versatile?  seems I can hold it two-handed?

Wish I had more time.  Keep the ideas coming with weapons and build and i'll try more again soon.  thanks
I would make the Katana a longsword simply because all the classes that seem like they could easily be called Samurai are already proficient with it (AFAIK, all the classes I mentioned in post #2 are proficient with military melee weapons), thus you don't need a feat to use it.  Wakizashi, of course, is a short sword.
The wakizashi was rarely used in combat.  It was the honor blade, reserved for nobility.  A wakizashi, for example, was the blade one commited seppuku with.

Niten "Two Swords Falling From Heaven"" style, developed my Musashi, was the style of fighting with katana and wakizashi.  It was considered very unorthodox.

Most wielders used a katana two-handed, although it was small enough to be wielded 1 handed.

This was why the 3e mechanics for katana were so perfect.  Since it was essentially a Bastard Sword mechanically, it was an exotic 1 handed weapon, but could be used two-handed as a Martial one.  Samurai did not recieve proficiency in the katana, but they were proficient in all martil weapons, so they could wield it 2 handed without penalty.

There was a feat in 3e Rokugan (L5R) for bushi of the Dragon Clan, who fought using Niten style.  It counted as Weapon Prof. (Bastard Sword, Ambidexterity, and Two-Weapon Fighting only for purposes of fighting with Katana in one hand Wakizashi in the other.
I do like the idea of making it a two-weapon sword.  I had a crazy idea of making it +3 d12 "balanced"  This weapon is designed to be used two-handed and is most effective this way.  However it's superior craftsmanship allows it to be wielded one-handed.  When using it one handed the stats are reduced to +2 and d10.

very good idea. unique & balanced. I like it.

The Wakizashi seems so similar to the katana that I would like to make it a smaller superior weapon rather than military.  Superior in many ways helps to express the quality and cost as well as stats.  Is there a way to make better than the short sword without making it better than the rapier?  +3 prof, 1d8, off-hand is already better.

a keyword?
but I think:
- tanto = dagger
- wakasashi = supperiour dagger (equivalent with short sword)
- kodachi = somewhat between short and longsword
- katana = bteween longsword and twohander

Question for those that know.  Wakizashi = Versatile?  seems I can hold it two-handed?

I woudn't do that. the kodachi (the off hand sword in kendo's kata 8, 9 and 10) isn't used two handed, and the wakasashi is usually even shorter. With an average of 50cm (20in), the wakizashi is considered a companion sword to the katana.

looking at it, I don't see how you could wield it two handed
Signature in a box

3.jpg

Some of my work:
My ego in a box
Thanks Cube
Anyone else like the idea?  Or should we keep it a bastard sword with maybe samaria weapon talents to improve it?

Chiba_Monkey
Thanks for the info.

I was looking at a cheap blade I had when I asked about it being two handed. seems the hilt was very long on that one.  However when I looked at the better made Wakizashi I agree it's clearly one handed only.

Sticking with Samaria questions
I like to create new stuff but 4e makes that really hard.  Part of me wants to make this a whole new class with lots of builds representing different schools.  Trouble is much of the class would be very similar to the fighter.  Is there a way to make a fighter build that provided enough?

Trade Fighter Weapon Talent for gaining the Katana as a weapon and maybe a bit more to flavor things?  Or is that already too much?  Could the Samaria package force the player to use the first feat as an additional payment for the benefits?
Part of me wants to make this a whole new class with lots of builds representing different schools. 

Again, this is solved very easily by letting someone be whatever class they want and simply have Samurai (and it's spelled SAMURAI, btw, not Samaria) be a title.  There's no reason to re-invent the wheel.
I'd really rather have the Katana be it's own sword, I like that idea that it's a two handed weapon, but can be used one handed, and it probably needs it's own property to stand out properly. I do like that property that you mentioned. You could just drop the proficiency by 1, instead of doing both. That alone drops the damage, since you'd be hitting about 5% less of the time. It's kinda a reverse versatile. Though think about the possibility of a ranger and twin strike with two katana.

It's a lot better to make Samurai either a title or a Multi-class feat progression. I'd suggest a multi-class feat progression for various styles or schools. Then maybe paragon paths to completely flesh out the clans, styles, schools, whatever. While I don't completely agree with Salla, it's much better to do it that way with specific feat progressions, and Paragon paths, than making a completely new class that is better represented with current base classes. So you can have a musashi style samurai with the two blade as a ranger, but have weapon or style feats that emulate the style you want with it.
Salla
Thanks for the spelling correction.  I should have looked again.  I'm normally complaining that Sorcerer isn't spelled with an o. 

Ceiling90
The Ranger thought and the reverse Versitile idea kinda is why I dropped the dmg as well as the Prof.  Perhaps it is too much or perhaps there could be another feat that allowed for better one handed use.

Both of you and Samuria title
This makes sense because I do like the archery and TWF of the ranger for some options.

Well I'm heading out of two for the weekend.  I'll see what I can dream up for when I return.

Had I gone with a fighter build for the Samuria I was wondering if 4e standards would except a build that removed shield use as part of the package?  It seems most builds don't mess with certain parts of the class.  Can anyone see this as being an option for build building?  just curious as a side question.

I'd love to see the Duelist Rogue and get ideas on how to build a feat path that does what we want.

2-Weapon Ranger builds work well, as do Tempest Fighter Builds, for Niten style Samurai.

Great Weapon Fighter builds work for more traditional Samurai fighting styles, and keeps the Samurai in line with your view as a defender.

A Warlord build could work, and taking some pages out of Martial power 2, you could develop a warlord build that perhaps sacrifices proficiency with shields for something else.  Better armor proficiency, perhaps?

And, of course, the Samurai could be an archer.  While Archer Ranger builds would be fine, it still puts the samurai in hide armor, something I don't personally agree with.  HOWEVER, I think the Archer Warlord from Martial Power 2 is perfect.  He gets better armor, no shields, uses a bow, and is still STR based.

So I was looking through the books, and I'm still contemplating a good rendition of a Katana. From what I saw, looking through the PHB1, Adventurers Vault, Eberron Players Guide...
It could be:

Katana: Superior Two-handed Melee Weapon
+3 Prof
1d10 damage
Price: ?
Weight: 8lb
Heavy Blade
Properties: High Crit, Balanced

New Property: Balanced
This property allows the wielder to use the weapon with one hand, but in doing so, the weapon  only has +2 proficiency bonus.

I really like the property you were thinking about. And this is much like a Bastard Sword.. only backwards? It really make the weapon stand out more; though I'm not sure it's better than a Bastard Sword either. It's quite difficult to make it like the 3e counterpart, since there's no real penalties for using a weapon you're not proficient with, you just don't gain bonuses. The closest thing I can think of that, since you gotta spend a feat is use a great sword, then make a Greatsword training feat that allows for one handed usage and the High Crit property. But I'd really rather have it as it's own weapon.

Also, as for the lack of.. starting with it, you could always allow it as background perk for being a Samurai background. The prof with a katana.

What types of styles and schools do you think you want to have in the conversion, or rendition, or whatever, that base class builds don't already have? There has to be a few.
I like that version of the Katana the best.  It matches the high crit feature of our western curved blade and is simpler than changing two things on the one-handed use.

Samurai as a title not a build or class.  Yeah I see what everyone is saying.  I think that's best.  Applying the Katana to a background seems like a good idea but those only add a +2 to Skills.  Not sure it's a fair/balanced option.  I suppose still making chars buy the Superior weapon feat would work.  If they want to play a Samurai then the feat could represent a cost to gain their noble heritage.  It also represents the additional training they have.  It's still a choice to the player to build a char around the katana or another weapon.

Schools

Crab = Fighter
Crane = ?
Dragon = Tempest or TWF Ranger
Lion = Warlord
Phoenix = ?
Scorpion = ?
Unicorn = Warlord Archer or Ranger Archer

Not sure how to cover some of the more dexterous schools.  Could you build a Samurai from a rogue?
I'd like to have an option for the Iaijutsu concept.  Any thoughts for early level stuff or build this into a paragon?

Using the Versatile Duelist feat, the rogue gains proficiency in one-handed military heavy blades and can use one-handed heavy blades in place of light blades for rogue powers.

What are the 'schools' supposed to be?  Is it a limitation?  Can Crabs only be fighters, Lions only be Warlords?
The clans are clans of Samurai that like to embody some form of fighthing style, I thought... It's been a long while since I've read 3e OA. Or at least have some type of traditional something or another.

Look at... Wind Rise Ports background feature, I mean the background can do a little more than just +2 to skills. But, it would be alright to have the Feat as an investment to being a "real" samurai in the setting. The other swords are just katana shaped longswords. Or something. Which I think is fitting.

I also don't remember what Iajutsu does...
The clans are clans of Samurai that like to embody some form of fighthing style, I thought... It's been a long while since I've read 3e OA. Or at least have some type of traditional something or another.

Look at... Wind Rise Ports background feature, I mean the background can do a little more than just +2 to skills. But, it would be alright to have the Feat as an investment to being a "real" samurai in the setting. The other swords are just katana shaped longswords. Or something. Which I think is fitting.

I also don't remember what Iajutsu does...

Yes, but I was wondering what the implementation was going to be.  I certainly can't see saying 'You're from clan X, you must be class X' as contributing anything to a game.

Iajutsu was a pretty broken mechanic wherein you got a ludicrious amount of bonus damage, based on a skill check, against a flat-footed opponent.  It's definitely best tossed into the dustbin of the past and forgotten.
Or put back in properly. I wouldn't count out anything that could be an interesting part of what it meant to play OA. I'd have to look at it, and see how it worked and how it could be... given a 4e rendition.

The clans and the styles, I was thinking would be more like weapon multi-class feats, with maybe changes to how you wielded a katana...

Take for and idea, the Musashi Tempest Style or something:
The first feat would allow the prof with a Katana, and maybe using it one handed withouth losing the extra proficiency bonus. Then the next feat would allow Tempest Strike, and so forth.

Or if a Clan really favored the Spear, somehow or another you can wield a two handed spear in one hand and the Katana in another. The entire point would be make it that if you actually took clan feats or style feats you would be a more distinct samurai. Well at least, that how I think it would be.
My listing of the schools and classes wasn't meant to be set in stone but it was a way to seethe best way to match the description of the clan.  For example Dragon clan favored TWF, Lion's were big on stratagy and Unicorns favored mounted combat and archery.  I mentioned rogues because Crane for example favorered a mobile style of quick movement.  basically the list was just showing that you guys were right about not needing a lot of new stuff.  You can have Samurai as the title and feat trees that add to their school but the foundation can come from other classes.

I'd like to to find a 4e version of Iajutsu.  Basically it was the skill of killing your opponent as you draw your katana from it's sheath.  3x literally made it a new skill.  4e I'm sure could cover it with powers that balanced to other powers.  I kept looking at the Barbarian's rage for ideas.  The way they can trade a daily for extra damage seemed fitting.  The samurai could have a similar ability that they could only use once per combat when actually drawing the katana.  Trouble is using multible classes makes adding things like that a true challange.
That's why it could be a weapon feat. Or those weapon multi-class feats.
@Nivek:
Crane's favored wearing lighter armor in favor of mobility.  I would shy away from defender classes and have them be some kind of striker.

Phoenix favored use of magic, even among their bushi, who' primary purpose was to defend their shugenja.  I think Swordmage would be appropriate.

And Scorpion...I think would be rogue.  Even thier bushi favored underhanded tactics.

@ceiling90:
I think a set of Lesser and Greater Style feats to represent each clan's fighting style would be appropriate.  Then you could have Greater Style feats that would allow for members of different classes to be samurai of that clan.  The Crab one, for exmple, would be for any 2h or versatile weapon, with the restriction that it must be wielded in 2 hands to gain the benefits of the style (as Crab often used weapons other than their daisho, such as a tetsubo or ono).

I would look to Martial Power 2 for guideline as to what is and is not balanced.
I've been a little curious on this one, too. Here's my two cents:

Samurai depends on build. There's tempest and great weapon fighter as possibilities, as well as taclord and archerlord. Archerlord is great since many samurai were archers, anyway.

Ninja...well, I could shamelessly plug my ninja class, but truthfully, this also depends on build. If you want martial ninja, rogue is perfect. Take the Alchemist feat and you can make all their tools of the trade (smoke bombs, poisons, etc.) Mystical ninja would be good as assassins.

Sohei always sounded like a cleric or monk, most likely monk.

Shugenja sounds more like a wizard or maybe a sorcerer. Sorcerer appears more feasible as I never pegged shugenja for bookworms, but of course, everything's relative.

Wu jen make me think druids, what with their communion with spirits and deriving their power from nature.

As for iaijutsu, you could tie that to the Bluff skill. Specifically, the feint to gain combat advantage. You could make a feat that could let you draw a weapon and "feint" as a minor action, keying the check off Strength instead of Charisma. You could peg on 1d6 + Strength mod extra damage if the check works (and you hit the next attack you make against the enemy that turn), but I wouldn't scale that damage. Straight extra damage from feats (such as Brutal Accuracy) don't scale, but you'll make your point
Well I was thinking more like the Net fighting feat, or the Whip fighting Feat from the gladiator dragon mag... which give proficiency and more, and feats along that line give encounter, utility, and daily powers. Especially for Iaijutsu.
I'd do the duels like this:
1. Formal challenge and acceptance.
2. Both participants render themselves helpless to the other.
3. Roll initiative.
4. The winner gets to make a Coup De Grace against the opponent.  If he survives, he can attack back, though without the Coup De Grace.
5. Either stop, or keep swinging, depending on the agreed-upon rules of the duel.