Dragon 386 - FR Bazaar of the Bizarre: Items of the Drizzt Saga

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png   Dragon 386
Bazaar of the Bizarre
Items of the Drizzt Saga

By Eytan Bernstein

In today's Dragon article, we get a set of wondrous items straight from the Drizzt Saga, amongst them including the legendary twinkle, icingdeath, and even Guenhwyfar!  Also included are generic versions of the named magic items, included in case your DM dislikes having Drizzt or other heroes and villains' equipment in the hands of the PCs.

A scimitar. Its curving blade was of silver, and diamond edged. Drizzt raised it before him, marveling at its lightness and perfect balance. “A few baubles . . . and this,” he corrected.

Talk about this article here.

386_bazaar.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Dragon 386
Bazaar of the Bizarre
Items of the Drizzt Saga

By Eytan Bernstein

In today's Dragon article, we get a set of wondrous items straight from the Drizzt Saga, amongst them including the legendary twinkle, icingdeath, and even Guenhwyfar!  Also included are generic versions of the named magic items, included in case your DM dislikes having Drizzt or other heroes and villains' equipment in the hands of the PCs.

A scimitar. Its curving blade was of silver, and diamond edged. Drizzt raised it before him, marveling at its lightness and perfect balance. “A few baubles . . . and this,” he corrected.

Great article, although I'm sad that it was missing the coolest item out of the Drizzt novels. Charon's Claw.

Seemed to be missing details on the matched quiver, too.
Anyone else see the Crashing Weapon and instantly think of all the wacky stuff you could do as a Seeker? Mordenkrad (Tired of "Seeker Damage"?). Halberd (Polearm... 'Nuff Said). Khopesh (Guardian Harrier via HBO and other wackiness).

Hmmm... with a Khopesh and Versitile Duelist, this opens up new ranged stuff for Rogues as well.

...And Rangers can toss new stuff with their ranged attacks. Sure, maybe you'll need 5 Crashing Executioner Axes to do what you really want....
D&DNext: HTFU Edition
   Dragon 386
Bazaar of the Bizarre
Items of the Drizzt Saga

By Eytan Bernstein

Great article, although I'm sad that it was missing the coolest item out of the Drizzt novels. Charon's Claw.

Seemed to be missing details on the matched quiver, too.

We really thought about including Charon's claw, but we decided to only include one item for each secondary character in the novel. The vampiric dagger felt more central to the story, even if Charon's Claw is definitely a cool item.
What's with the new Radiant Weapon?  And should Twinkle be based off of it (from grouping) or a Brilliant Energy weapon (from its properties)?

As a rename for the Radiant Weapon, maybe Penetrating Radiance would be more appropriate, given that does something like that?   
Yeah, is this supposed to be an eratta for the Radiant Weapon? If so I'm gonna miss the item bonus to radiant damage.

If it was just an accidental overlapping of names, I'd suggest renaming it so something like "Starlight Weapon" for the compiled issue.
Planes Wanderer
Excellent article Eytan. I hope to see you again at Gen Con this summer.
Brian R. James Freelance Game Designer
Excellent article Eytan. I hope to see you again at Gen Con this summer.

Thanks. I definitely plan to be there. Erik and I will be slaying a dragon at True Dungeon. We'll also be running a live action full scale D&D game in which people will walk around as their own miniatures on an enormous battlegrid drawn to represent a battlemat.

I was hoping for Artemis' magic-defeating gauntlet. :P

Any chance if I make a generous offer?  

Those bracers seem a little powerful, giving anyone a super-powered Dual Strike at will that lets you keep your ability bonus to damage and use a two-handed weapon.  At least it has to be on two separate targets so it's not outgunning Twin Strike, but it still seems a little powerful.  I don't think magic items should give out At-Will powers that are more powerful than most of your class's At-Will powers.
Those bracers seem a little powerful, giving anyone a super-powered Dual Strike at will that lets you keep your ability bonus to damage and use a two-handed weapon.  At least it has to be on two separate targets so it's not outgunning Twin Strike, but it still seems a little powerful.  I don't think magic items should give out At-Will powers that are more powerful than most of your class's At-Will powers.

Note that they are a level 18 unique item- which is to say they're the only one in the entire game, and are there specifically for reference or for epic story chars or the like- you can't make them and you can't buy them, which means you cannot procure them during character creation, such that they are essentially a non-entity outside of a DM grant to your character.

As such, much like intelligent items or other artifacts, they do not need to be nerfed because you're not going to be able to get them without a lot of work which will in turn allow you to *earn* them.
Oh Content, where art thou?

Note that they are a level 18 unique item- which is to say they're the only one in the entire game, and are there specifically for reference or for epic story chars or the like- you can't make them and you can't buy them, which means you cannot procure them during character creation, such that they are essentially a non-entity outside of a DM grant to your character.

As such, much like intelligent items or other artifacts, they do not need to be nerfed because you're not going to be able to get them without a lot of work which will in turn allow you to *earn* them.

Yeah, that's a good point.  Still, I can't imagine why Drizzt chose to wear them as anklets.  Doesn't he want to optimize himself?!  He could have been attacking two targets with Icingdeath and keeping his Strength bonus!  Oh well. ;)
I wouldn't be surprised if it is a mistake, either, given the base version is a daily power. None of the other uniques seem to make quite such a big jump in power. If it was an encounter, I'd be ok with it.

I'm leery of the argument that the items are only there if the DM lets them crop up - if the item isn't actually balanced, that means it isn't actually useful regardless of how the player gets it.
I was a little disapointed in icingdeath, I feel like it should probably have a bonus against demons instead of ice damage. Also the quiver which is mentioned in taurmarils stat block is not in the article which is a little confusing. STILL a thourghly enjoyable article, love the books.
Is the Eye of Watchfulness too powerful? It's going on all my striker's Wishlists and I've gotten push back from my Scales of War DM that the article is a "Realms" article due to Drizzt.

Comparing to the Helm of Vision Unclouded, Hood of the Wolf, and the Ioun Stone of True Sight, the Eye of Watchfulness seems way more powerful. Invisibility, especially looking at strikers, is an incredibly frustrating status for the enemies to have in 4e.
Sign In to post comments