4/15/2010 TD: "The Contrapositive of Physics"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Only Emrakul is uncounterable.
4. Don't speak dumb, or you'll be struck dumb. Remember, the name of the game is heads I win, tails you lose.
Only Emrakul is uncounterable.

Apparently the "When you cast..." text is a trigger that puts the ability on the stack above the Eldrazi.  The ability exists independently of the Eldrazi spell itself (i.e. you need something like Stifle to counter it).  Somewhat unusual behavior.
0002_MTGROE_EN_LR.jpg

I just want to remind you of one of Newtons most famous quotes:

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"

Sir Issac was saying even a dwarf standing on the shoulders of a giant could see twice as far.

This quote is always taken so far out of context and it drives me crazy.  Newton was one of the most arrogant human beings of all time (something that is pretty common with physics geniuses).  This was said as a jab at his longtime rival Robert Hooke.  Hooke was very outspoken about his disagreement with Newtons theories and put them under major scrutiny (something Newton hated so much he often refused to publish his work).  Hooke was famously short do to being a hunchback.  Taken in context the quote is at best a backhanded compliment and at worst just plain mean (given Newton personality the latter is most likely true).

P.S. Can someone tell me how to get rid of the prescript in the quote, it doesn't appear in the text box when I click edit?
P.S. Can someone tell me how to get rid of the prescript in the quote, it doesn't appear in the text box when I click edit?

When you go to edit, click the "HTML" button to see the raw html code of your post, and excise all the junk.  The forum text editor is a bit glitchy and sometimes copies formatting from text that you copy-paste... you can try copy-pasting to Notepad first, then copy-pasting from there to the editor, I guess? :shrug:
There is a significant part of this article missing... "Court Hussar".
Thanks Phoenix, I had to retype everything so it doesn't look quite right but I got close.

Other than Grim Discovery, is there any reasonable way to return lands from the graveyard in standard?  The only way that I could see playing Realms Uncharted is with some way to return lands back to your hand.  Sure it thins your deck out, but if you are playing Eldrazi spells I would think losing 4 mana would be a fairly steep price to pay.

The other two cards seem fairly good.  My only issue with Ancient Stirrings is that, unless you have a way to shuffle your library, you won't be seeing the other four cards again.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Other than Grim Discovery, is there any reasonable way to return lands from the graveyard in standard?  The only way that I could see playing Realms Uncharted is with some way to return lands back to your hand.  Sure it thins your deck out, but if you are playing Eldrazi spells I would think losing 4 mana would be a fairly steep price to pay.

The other two cards seem fairly good.  My only issue with Ancient Stirrings is that, unless you have a way to shuffle your library, you won't be seeing the other four cards again.

Grim Discovery is fine for getting the lands back... Not sure how you reach the conclusion of losing 4 lands, seeing as two of them go to your hand. With Discovery, you get 3 of the 4.

As for shuffling, Fetch Lands Say: "Hi!". There are obviously many other ways, but those seem pretty much present in 99% of standard decks...
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
There is a significant part of this article missing... "Court Hussar".

but then he's have to admit that it is decidedly weaker that it's W/U counterpart. Thankfully it doesn't come with the drawback of (kind of) requiring W mana but since this card is likely going into W/U decks anyway plus with the amount of mana fixing in standard it's just a shadow of it's former self. Basically anything good in this set is Rare or above even though he tried showcasing a couple of commons. ancient stirrings will be fine in the right deck and I trust that it will get even better when scars is released however, if you're not playing an eldrazi deck and you don't reveal everflowing chalice or some kind of equipment this card is basically a safewright quest. It will probably only be worth it if you are playing plenty of colorless spells anyway. I think it could be a great card in standard once Scars is released but right now it's kind of average because only an eldrazi deck would be playing enough colorless spells to make it worthwhile.

The rare realms unchartered is totally amazing. A 3 mana instant that is card advantage (-1 +2 = net gain of 1) in addition to being a mana fixer a deck thinner and potentially setting up a combo even if right now the only combo pieces are in extended life from the loam, crucible of worlds etc... It's even great in standard without any combo. Search up 4 man lands they have to give you at least 2. How about the spell lands from zendikar? halimar depths being a popular one. Or in a two-three color deck you have essentially fixed any mana issues. Lets say you're playing naya colors but you're stuck with only green in play. You can search jungle shrine, arid mesa, mountain, and plains. No matter what they give you you're going to get both colors. Anyway don't underestimate this card as an instant. You're getting mana flooded on turn 3 but with one spell if you search up 4 fetchlands you've just removed 6 lands from the deck so if you've drawn 7 lands and just removed 6 lands your land to spells ratio just improved drastically. Better yet choose halimar depths and adjust the top of your library accordingly then if you are still mana flooded crack that fetchland and fix the problem with a shuffle. On the other side of things it does a pretty good job of fixing mana screw also. If you're stuck at 3 lands or you've got a birds and didn't draw your third land no problem just play realms unchartered and you're guaranteed 2 more lands if the spell resolves.
Don't be too smart to have fun

Grim Discovery is fine for getting the lands back... Not sure how you reach the conclusion of losing 4 lands, seeing as two of them go to your hand. With Discovery, you get 3 of the 4.

As for shuffling, Fetch Lands Say: "Hi!". There are obviously many other ways, but those seem pretty much present in 99% of standard decks...

I didn't say you lose four lands, I said you lose four mana.  If you are playing a deck with colorless Eldrazi cards than losing the Eye of Ugin and the Eldrazi Temple sets you back four mana.  When I build an Eldrazi deck, I plan to have four Eldrazi Temples and one or two Eye of Ugins.  When they all come out (via drawing them and expedition maps) you will effectively have 10 mana for colorless Eldrazi spells.  Losing the Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple bring you down to six mana for colorless Eldrazi.  Therefore, you need an effective way to return the lands you would be forced to discard with Realms Uncharted.  The creature lands are great, but I would rather like to play the Eldrazi which becomes more difficult if you lose the lands that make it easier to get them out.

I agree that the fetch lands would be an ok method of shuffling my library, but I would rather pop them when I get them and not wait until I get Ancient Stirrings to use them.  I would need something that I can save until I get Ancient Stirrings without having too much of an issue.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
where's my raven familiar scan
Tectonic edge is getting better and better.  That and the Eldrazi lands, they have to choose to give you temple/eye or you can destroy their temple.  Plus the other land.  I would rather use Knight of Relinquary to find my temples, anyways.