Origins?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Has anyone heard even the slightest rumor about judge sign up for Origins?

-SYB
The organizer of my group usually mentions it to our DMs (of which I am one) when he hears about it but there hasn't been a peep yet. That doesn't mean there isn't info out there, just that we haven't heard anything yet (much like you).
Their website doesn't even have registration open yet.  It's supposed to open this month.  Board games first.  Then Role-Playing Games events second.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf

I'm 99% sure that wavester (Dave C.) will be the senior DM for the RPGA at Origins.  I'd also be willing to bet that, when there's info to be had, he (or someone else) will post it in the "Origins" thread which already exists over in the RPGA Conventions sub-board:
community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7585...

"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
AFAIK they have been building and testing a new online registration system and that's what's holding everything up.  Otherwise it's odd that GenCon reg went live before Origins.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
AFAIK they have been building and testing a new online registration system and that's what's holding everything up.  Otherwise it's odd that GenCon reg went live before Origins.

That's my understanding, too...though, last year, Origins evcent registration was after GenCon's, too, and it was a complete train wreck, as you may recall.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"

Origins registration has ALWAYS been a mess. This will be my tenth Origins. The system gets changed every year, and it never gets better. We all just keep patiently waiting because we still want have a great time at the con. Registration blues will never stop our gaming!
Herrbard a.k.a. Dan Erbacher Old, bald and tired.
Origins registration has ALWAYS been a mess. This will be my tenth Origins. The system gets changed every year, and it never gets better.

True that it's never been good (at least not in the 5 years I've been going)...but last year's event registration was a particularly virulent form of evil. Tongue out
Really?  Reg last year for me was easy and smooth.  I had no problems with it.
Really?  Reg last year for me was easy and smooth.  I had no problems with it.

I suspect you were among the few.

I've got a group of roughly a dozen gamers, across the country, with whom I play RPGA games online.  For the past 9 years or so, we've tried to get together once a year, at either Origins or GenCon, to play F2F, and just to see each other.  Last year, we did so at Origins, in part so that most of us could play the Living Arcanis finale.

The lucky among us got our Origins events registered within 3 hours or so.  The unlucky among us had it take 6 hours or more.  And, from what I read on various forums (including EN World), many others had the same kind of problem.  GAMA wound up apologizing for how their registration system had melted down, but there was an awful lot of anger around just how bad it was.
GenCon has an explicit date when registration takes place. Thousands of gamers flood the system, bringing the servers to a crawl and creating massive frustration. You also have gamers that will often play a variety of gaming systems, and their decisions can have an impact on revenue. Because of this, it is seen as rather important for each RPG company to get their events into the system on time. There have been various issues in recent years with WotC (from bankruptcy legal battles with GenCon to 4E content announcements), so it is probably especially important for WotC to have events on time. (They almost were not!)

For all those reasons, I can see why the priority was placed on GenCon. Missing that could have real revenue/competitive implications.

I can't say why Origins is late. It might be due to Origins-specific issues. It might be due to the staff juggling adventure release schedules. Is there a hard date when registration takes place for other games at Origins? I only see a "coming soon" announcement on the site, which suggests Wotc is not really late. Then again, GM submission was March 1.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I can't say why Origins is late. It might be due to Origins-specific issues. It might be due to the staff juggling adventure release schedules. Is there a hard date when registration takes place for other games at Origins? I only see a "coming soon" announcement on the site, which suggests Wotc is not really late. Then again, GM submission was March 1.

In the past, Origins has had a "hard date" for all of their event registration, as well (just like GenCon), although it wasn't uncommon for them to push it back a bit.  ISTR, at least a few years ago, Origins event registration went off before GenCon's did.

I'm not aware of when Origins' deadline for event submission was for Origins this year, or if they even had one.

This year, as they've been switching over to a different vendor, and a different system, for registration, everything's up in the air.  For example, online badge purchasing only went live yesterday (4/19); that had originally been promised for sometime before the end of 2009, then in January.

One notice I saw on the Origins site yesterday indicated that they were hoping to start event registration by the end of April (though I'm not holding my breath for that).

I do know that the GAMA staff (who run Origins) also works on the GAMA Trade Show, which was in late March, and a lot of the Origins work may have had to wait until that was done.
I can't speak about what's going on with Origins as a convention itself, however - Dave C (Wavester/The Bald Man) is indeed the man running RPGA events for the show.

While judge signups aren't live yet, I know he's been contacting his HQ staffers to see who's available and who isn't.

I have a query out to  Dave to see what, if any, news there is to share - and will update thread(s) accordingly when I hear back.

[EDIT]
Dave's more or less ready to start taking judge signups, but is waiting for some final info from GAMA(Origins) and WotC.  

If I were a gamblin' man, I'd bet his patience will run out sooner or later, and that signups will begin regardless in the near (next week or two) future, info gathered or no. 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Good to know. If I do Origins this year it will probably just be as a Judge.