My Dragonborn wants Wings and a Tail

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone, I am trying to think of an interesting way for my dragonborn fighter to have wings and a tail.  I don't want the wings to grant any benefit besides looking awesome, and I was knocking around a few ideas of background stories.  Here is what I have in his background summary:

"Baldur's birth was a remarkable one for Dragonborns.  His egg was larger than average and had a golden-bronze hue.  Some among his flight claimed that he was touched by Bahamut, others say his mother mated with a bronze dragon, while others say he is just a mutated offspring of dragonborn kind."

I want his background and reason for having wings to be something he can be proud of and I was wondering if you guys had any other ideas?
I'm assuming you know about the Scion of Arkhosia paragon path? That gives you functional wings.

It might also help you in flavor; you should read it. It's in PHB II.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Hey everyone, I am trying to think of an interesting way for my dragonborn fighter to have wings and a tail.  I don't want the wings to grant any benefit besides looking awesome, and I was knocking around a few ideas of background stories.  Here is what I have in his background summary:

"Baldur's birth was a remarkable one for Dragonborns.  His egg was larger than average and had a golden-bronze hue.  Some among his flight claimed that he was touched by Bahamut, others say his mother mated with a bronze dragon, while others say he is just a mutated offspring of dragonborn kind."

I want his background and reason for having wings to be something he can be proud of and I was wondering if you guys had any other ideas?

I have to agree with Pluisjen. Dragonborn are fairly moderate among what they should be capable of, and are really kind of dull when it comes to player customization. Do you want you dragonborn to be orange, red, or brown?

Honestly, talk with your DM. I -always- let my Dragonborn pick a custom color, even let them trail lineage to actual dragons. Wings? Maybe if they're non-functional, and tails definately. It's a DM thing I suppose. I respect Wizards for their lore with the 'Born, but I really wish they were a little more rounded.

Keep in mind that a lot of 4E races exist with the idea that they're the almalgam of several different concepts so that they can be used to represent any similar concept by just playing with the flavor.

Dragonborn are basically just prototype half-dragons, to be used with anything that's tough, arrogant, scaley, and energy-breathy in your campaign.

Your "dragonborn" could easily be any of these:
www.wizards.com/dnd/images/rodragon_gall...
www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/...
wizards.com/dnd/images/draco_gallery/756...
www.marveldirectory.com/pictures/individ...
images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Dra...

Dragonborn are just an easy, very clearly dragon-like thing with a simple backstory for default use.

Just ask your DM if you can change the flavor.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.
As long as it is only descriptive, your dragonborn can look whatever you like. I use an older miniature for my dragonborn char, and the mini has a tail, so there was never any question about whether my char has a tail or not. As a DM, I'd pretty much rule that every dragonborn has a tail anyway, who cares what the books say.
As for the wings, true, that would make him special, but sure, why not. PCs are special by default, it's called Dungeons and Dragons and not Farms and Potatoes because we're playing heroes and not peasants.
If it's just backstory, fluff, and appearance, it's all good.  I might suggest that you take at least reasonable cha - to represent the character's impressive appearance - but aside from that, do what you will (as long as your DM doesn't mind).

Ow, yeah I kinda assumed that you could easily fluff in non-functional wings and a tail and your custom tail.

Hell, the most dangerous killers in the group I DM for are the two Dragonborn, who are colored Hot Pink and Neon Purple. (Oddly, nobody has the nerve to say something about it... must be the big weapons or something)

Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Depending on the campaign and the DM, you could go so far as to develop a new encounter ability that revolves around your wings instead of the generic breath ability.  Not every DM is going to allow this as it does have the potential for balance issues, but it could be something as simple as:

Bahamut's Rush                     Dragonborn Racial Power
Spreading your wings you either launch yourself into the
air or send yourself hurtling forward with powerful leaps
Encounter
Move Action                                 Personal
Effect: Either fly your speed + 2 or move your speed +6.
Your first square of movement does not provoke attacks
of opportunity.  You must end your movement on a
surface that can support you, otherwise you fall at the
end of the movement. 

This is just a rough example of what could be made, but I came up with that right off the top of my head so really...as long as its not insane (which I suppose this might be, but I don't think it's all that bad) I don't see why you couldn't do something along these lines if that's something your DM is into.
"All I hear now is the sound of the Charop boards and all their builds popping" ~ Mithreinmaethor "Oh I forgot, common sense no longer exists. It died with the invent of the internet age. ~ Thunder_Dragonbane ~ 1001 Reasons to Love 4E
maybe fly speed -2 or move speed +2.
Well, fly is less powerful than teleport, which Eladrin do get as a racial encounter. I honestly don't see any problem just giving a flat "you fly your speed" once an encounter.
Mike Mearls regarding feedback for D&D Next: "The big thing is to avoid snark and an overly antagonistic attitude. We're human, and it's easy to tune out someone who comes across as a crank."

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/3.jpg)

Eladrin also have int/dex instead of str/cha, I think that WotC took racial powers into account when attempting to balance the raw stats of the characters with the racial powers. In the end, it is up to the dm, but if it were me, I would probably say no to a racial power, but yes to fluff wings/tail.
Play by Post Games Join us Currently running: The Wheel of Time
Just throwing this out there, but the Dragonborn Champion in the MM has wings and a fly speed of 8 (clumsy). It's a level 26 soldier, though. Maybe your DM would rule that early in the campaign your character's wings are just for looks but that later on (maybe somewhere around mid paragon to early epic) you'll gain at least some ability to fly with them.
There's a PP for that called Scion of Arkhosia, already mentioned in this thread.
In game terms I'd go with the Scion of Arkhosia PP.  In its description it talks about how the wings begin to form when you pick the paragon path and become stronger over time (ie going from 12 when you can short burst flight to 16 where you have overland flight of 12).  Just ask the DM to refluff it where you were born with the wings but they haven't gotten to the point where you can fly. 

You could say you always had a tail but the wings formed when you were mature.

I did something similiar with the Self-Forged PP for Artificer.  I wanted the character to have been a soldier who was gravely injured and over time he built himself a replacement arm out of warforged parts.  There was more to the background than just that but I thought it was vastly more interesting than spending time in game chopping his own arm off.....tho the looks on the other characters faces would be priceless.
@ Bronski

I can't resist this one.

Back in 3.5 my friend ran an eberron campaign with the group and wanted us all to be warforged.  After some convincing I got him to let me play a gnome artificer who was called 'Art'.  After quite a few sessions and some....interesting developments...I took the Efigy Master PC (I think thats what it was called, its been a while)  Anyways, Art locked himself in his lab for an entire week without telling anyone else what he was doing.  They would just hear the sounds of fevered metalwork and flashing lights coming from around the doorframe.

After about a week, he just walked out the door with a huge smile on his face.  Everyone just looked at him as he held up his arm, then proceeded to pull a metal plate off of it and fiddle around with all the wiring inside. 

I had him create an exact copy of himself as an Efigy, then through a few spells and creations of my own, he bound his soul to the Efigy.  It was pretty sweet...except for whenever he walked into an anti-magic field....I didn't think that one through quite far enough.  Fortunately the field only supressed the magic, but it was still very inconvenient.  Anywho, sorry for the threadjack
"All I hear now is the sound of the Charop boards and all their builds popping" ~ Mithreinmaethor "Oh I forgot, common sense no longer exists. It died with the invent of the internet age. ~ Thunder_Dragonbane ~ 1001 Reasons to Love 4E