I want to DM for Season 2. What do I need?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
We're nearing the halfway point for Undermountain, so I started thinking about the Dark Sun season coming up. Is there anything I would need to do beforehand, or just call my local shop and say "I would like to DM."

Thanks,
-FF
Shaman: "Why doesn't the squirrel shoot the wizard?" DM: "Because the last squirrel who tried to shoot the wizard missed, then was pulled out of his tree and incinerated." Wizard: "He has a point."
That's really all you need to do. Coordinating with the store as much as possible always helps. You want access to the materials as soon as they arrive so you can read up and start prepping. Make sure they have your contact info. The store may be interested in your helping set up something like a Google or Yahoo group to discuss the games and prep for each session, as this leads to more prepared judges and more fun at the table.

You can optionally do some prep work by reading some of the old Dark Sun stuff, but keep in mind the setting will not use the information after the first novel of the Prism Pentad. The Wanderer's Journal in either of the boxed sets is pretty useful for understanding the terms. The game will be richer if you can describe the difference between a Kank (six-legged insect mount of gentle disposition and which gives off a delicious nectar) and a Mekillot (six-ton lizards used to haul huge wagons, known to eat anyone that strays to close to them). I would expect the adventure to have all you need, but doing some advanced prep can help paint a more vivid picture. As Athas is such an unusual setting, it can be worthwhile.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

We're nearing the halfway point for Undermountain, so I started thinking about the Dark Sun season coming up. Is there anything I would need to do beforehand, or just call my local shop and say "I would like to DM."

Thanks,
-FF

Nope!  All that really needs to happen is that you need a store that is running/willing to run D&D Encounters.  Someone affiliated with that store needs to be a WPN Tournament Organizer (takes about 5 minutes to become one) - and order the kit(s) when they are available for ordering.

There are some optional things you can do - like enrolling in the DM Rewards program to get free stuff from WotC a couple times a year, but those are - as I said - optional.

To run a D&D Organized Play table, you need only have a good working knowledge of the rules, the backing of someone who can order/sanction events, and the desire to be a DM.   
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sign In to post comments