4/14/2010 StF: "The Defiance of Angels

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.
Good card is good... and will be incredibly obnoxious.

I'm amazed that it shuts off mana abilties.
Am I the only one who has a problem with wizards printing cards that should just be rare at mythic status? This card does not screem mythic to me. With this new set, I am feeling kind of ripped off, and I haven't even bought anything yet.
my trade thread
Am I the only one who has a problem with wizards printing cards that should just be rare at mythic status? This card does not screem mythic to me. With this new set, I am feeling kind of ripped off, and I haven't even bought anything yet.

You are not the only one, but seriously... who didn't see this coming?  They are required by law to attempt to improve their shareholders' bottom line.  Asking them not to print the really good cards at mythic is like giving me a sack of bacon and asking me to deliver it across town without eating any.

I don't think this is the most egregious rare/mythic violator though.  Cast Through Time is exactly the formula for probably have a dozen other rares that have been printed.  If all we knew was the mechanics for the set, it would've been a safe bet to say that this card was going to exist.  That kid of predictability can't be mythic.  Nirkana RevenantKargan Dragonlord?  That guy's not even a dragon (is that what makes him mythic?)!

Vengevine?  Now there's a card that was clearly made mythic simply because it's going to be in such high demand.
An excellent card.  I used to play a mono U control deck based on Propaganda in Tempest to abuse Capsize, using counterspells and flying beaters (Sphinx/Djinn/Morphling type cards), and this card is nearly good enough to make me want to splash W in a revival of that deck.

Nearly but not quite.
Very flavorful but the art is too airbrushed, like barbie with wings.
For practical application I don't like it  at his best is an annoying combo enabler and a sideboard tech against annihilator. I prefer cards that do something. 
Anyway kudos the who was saying that white is the anti eldrazi color, he was right.

Annihilator is a triggered ability, not activated. This angel will not stop the Eldrazi from annihilating anyone...

On to the card itself. I really like it, and am surprised that they left off "that aren't mana abilities". Playing this on turn 3 thanks to Noble Hierarch or Birds can really screw the opponent out of a few turns if they started with the same ramp.
In casual games, this can become a shut down card if you manage to turn all their lands into creatures as well...
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Read "In the Teeth of Akoum" on Sunday (yes, all of it). This was the first Magic novel in a long time that outright failed to grab my interest. I didn't care for the main protagonist (Nissa), and Sorin wasn't much better. The epicness of the Eldrazi probably can't be contained by just the one book, and the ending of "Teeth" fell flat as a result.

Actually, the Zendikar setting ("a world of adenture!") would have been better served with a Shadowmoor-like Anthology book.
Annihilator is a triggered ability, not activated. This angel will not stop the Eldrazi from annihilating anyone...

On to the card itself. I really like it, and am surprised that they left off "that aren't mana abilities". Playing this on turn 3 thanks to Noble Hierarch or Birds can really screw the opponent out of a few turns if they started with the same ramp.
In casual games, this can become a shut down card if you manage to turn all their lands into creatures as well...

this card IS mythic in that like Iona it's stops your opponent from playing the game...I though WOTC was moving away from cards that new players didn't like..!

also because it costs 4mana it's going to be MORE expensive then Baneslayer...
Amazing card. One that is truly worthy of it's mythic status. It is a legendary creature that brings something new to the table. It is a 3/4 flier that is easy to cast for only two colored mana which means that it could see play regardless of the ability. Still the ability rocks unfortunately for the poor hated on levelers in the set this is another leveler hater. I think this card is just as good as lightning angel, emeria angel and stoic angel possibly even better. I like the combo with living plane. It is pretty much an "I win" combo.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Linvala certainly does feel mythic to me. She's legendary, and her ability has a relatively unique "global" effect; you have to go back to Cursed Totem to find anything close to it. She's not what I'd call a "utility" card (although she could be a possible sideboard card to fight certain strategies, so that's debatable). One thing I'm sure of, she won't be a tournament staple and she won't be worth a lot of money : in Standard, almost no deck relies heavily on activated abilities of creatures, except for some mana elves in the early turns, before Linvala can be played. In other formats, she's too slow and vulnerable to reliably stop combos based on such abilities. Really, if you're gonna complain about the mythic status of this card, just complain about the existence of mythics, because in the context of players having to live with them, this card isn't offending at all compared to other good mythics.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A

I like Linvala; she's reasonably costed and has a powerful ability, and yet she has no protection of her own so that she's not terribly annoying. She's the Gaddok Teeg against aggro decks.

Though, I have to nitpick: Iona and Linvala are free angels, dedicated to the destruction of the Eldrazi, right? Funny how Iona's ability does absolutely nothing to harm the colorless eldrazi, and Linvala shuts off only Spawnsire and eldrazi tokens. Both angels are cool cards, but there seems to be a bit of a flavor disconnect.

Ugg more badass Angels to get... why oh why must my favorite deck have nothing but Angel beatsticks =(
So for the Dryad Arbor, even if the mana ability isn't technically printed on the card (it's implied by its "forest" type on the type line, this still shuts it off? 

I realize that seems like a silly question, but ever since they took the mana abilities off the basic lands and made them "implied", abilities like this have always confused me.  

Otherwise a very nice card and neat bit of story for the eye-halo's. Surprised nobodies made any Geordi La Forge comments though. 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
Can somebody explain how this combos with something that turns an opponent's lands into creatures?  Is it because it makes tapping the manland for mana an activated ability?
So for the Dryad Arbor, even if the mana ability isn't technically printed on the card (it's implied by its "forest" type on the type line, this still shuts it off? 

I realize that seems like a silly question, but ever since they took the mana abilities off the basic lands and made them "implied", abilities like this have always confused me.  

Otherwise a very nice card and neat bit of story for the eye-halo's. Surprised nobodies made any Geordi La Forge comments though. 

Can somebody explain how this combos with something that turns an opponent's lands into creatures?  Is it because it makes tapping the manland for mana an activated ability?

"Tapping a land for mana" means activating an activated mana ability of the land, even when that ability is granted by virtue of the land having a basic land type and doesn't explicitly appears in the land's rules text. If the land is also a creature, then the mana ability is an activated ability of a creature, so Linvala forbids it from being activated.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
So, Iona had a very flavorful mechanic all along, a powerful Angel who could do nothing to stop the Eldrazi, and we didn't know it until we saw the colorless Eldrazi cards.
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators

"Tapping a land for mana" means activating an activated mana ability of the land, even when that ability is granted by virtue of the land having a basic land type and doesn't explicitly appears in the land's rules text. If the land is also a creature, then the mana ability is an activated ability of a creature, so Linvala forbids it from being activated.

That makes sense, and I guess I knew it, I just wanted confirmation. I've just never grokked on with that "implied" mana ability of the basic land types. 
thanks 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
Chalk me up in the "this is mythic" category.  It's an ability that hardly ever sees print without the limiting clause of not affecting mana abilities.  Plus, as a creature, it does have certain vulnerabilities which go without saying.  I also support mythics being mythics in order to not have negative effects on Limited.  You don't want too many of this girl floating around in cardpools, because it does have a certain amount of "unfun-ness" to it.
I'm slightly confused.  Does this angel only shut off mana abilities or things like "When Ulamog enters the battlefield, destroy target permanent" as well?
I'm slightly confused.  Does this angel only shut off mana abilities or things like "When Ulamog enters the battlefield, destroy target permanent" as well?

The "When Ulamog enters the battlefield" ability is a triggered ability so it is not stopped by Linvala.

@MadMageQc

I agree that Linvala wouldn't do much right now but if the level creatures are any good or the eldrazi tokens are used in decks to accelerate mana then this card may become better.  Also, Scars of Mirrodin may have a few creatures with good activated abilities as well.  This is just my speculation.

Also, the fact that she is a 4 cost flyer might help out.

I think that this is a pretty good card. 
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Chalk me up in the "this is mythic" category.  It's an ability that hardly ever sees print without the limiting clause of not affecting mana abilities.  Plus, as a creature, it does have certain vulnerabilities which go without saying.  I also support mythics being mythics in order to not have negative effects on Limited.  You don't want too many of this girl floating around in cardpools, because it does have a certain amount of "unfun-ness" to it.

There should never be any rares moved to mythic because of limited. Rares are rare enough as it is in limited that it shouldn't matter too much if it is a participant in every other tournament or every 10th tournament. If they are doing this then baneslayer angel is just the beginning. What if they annointed a limited bomb like broodmate dragon with mythic status. Would that mean 2x 5/5 creatures or maybe giving them each trample. But don't worry since it's a mythic it will show up less in limited so INBD.

I don't know, but when I think Mythic I think something like Baneslayer or if Tarmogoyf where to be reprinted. I think mythic should be reserved for cards that nearly broken, cards so powerful, they would give an unfair advantage to a player in limited just by playing that card all by it self or atleast screams "deal with me or you loose". I understand magic is a business but when does someone come to the point and say "maybe, we are focusing too much on making money and not enough on making people want to play with these cards".

As long as there is magic there will be junk rares, unlpayable commons and uncommon cards but no mythic card should be opened and put a frown on someones face because it doesn't meet the expectation of "mythic". This angel is a good card. It's on par with cards like meddling mage, pithing needle, and teeg and there for should be rare. For this card to be mythic I would like to have seen it maybe a 4/4, or maybe a 3/3 with protection from something, otherwise it's a worse serra angel that only works as a situation card which is NOT mythic.
my trade thread

I don't know, but when I think Mythic I think something like Baneslayer or if Tarmogoyf where to be reprinted. I think mythic should be reserved for cards that nearly broken, cards so powerful, they would give an unfair advantage to a player in limited just by playing that card all by it self or atleast screams "deal with me or you loose". I understand magic is a business but when does someone come to the point and say "maybe, we are focusing too much on making money and not enough on making people want to play with these cards".

As long as there is magic there will be junk rares, unlpayable commons and uncommon cards but no mythic card should be opened and put a frown on someones face because it doesn't meet the expectation of "mythic". This angel is a good card. It's on par with cards like meddling mage, pithing needle, and teeg and there for should be rare. For this card to be mythic I would like to have seen it maybe a 4/4, or maybe a 3/3 with protection from something, otherwise it's a worse serra angel that only works as a situation card which is NOT mythic.

1st off there have been a lot of cards printed at rare over the years that were limited bombs in the same way that baneslayer angel was and yet being rare they didn't impact limited negatively.
2nd if every mythic was super awesome it would either increase the power level of the set or it would decrease the power level of cards printed at common, and uncommon and make Magic needlessly more expensive to play

3rd you are seriously underestimating this card. emeria angel saw play, stoic angel saw play and lightning angel saw play (even in extended for lightning angel) this card is at least on par if not better than those other cards.
Yet, this card is printed at Mythic and all the cards you mention are just Rare. Looks to me with each expansion wizards is increasingly trying to steal money out of your hands and feed the secondary market.

Edit: OK, so going back over MaRo's original article, my definition of "mythic" is incorrect. Here is his words from www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a... :  "We want the flavor of mythic rare to be something that feels very special and unique. Generally speaking we expect that to mean cards like Planeswalkers, most legends, and epic-feeling creatures and spells. They will not just be a list of each set's most powerful tournament-level cards." he then goes on to say, "We've also decided that there are certain things we specifically do not want to be mythic rares. The largest category is utility cards."

So, using this logic, this new angel is a legendary creature, and there for justifies it's status as mythic. Now that the full spoiler has been released, looking over each color, the only cards that don't sit well with me at mythic are any of the mythic cards with the leveler ability. To me they feel like too much of a commitment to a single card but I guess I will wait until I can really play with them before making any more judgements.

I would just like to say my previous statements in this thread were misguided and incorrect.
my trade thread

Activated abilities are the abilities written [cost]:[effect] (notice the very important colon). They are the abilities that you activate by paying a cost (a cost which is not necessarly mana; a simple tap symbol such as on Llanowar Elves' ability denotes a cost too).

Abilities like Annihilator and enter-the-battlefield abilities such as the one you quoted are not activated abilities, they are triggered abilities. Those are the abilities that trigger and go on the stack automatically when an event happens. They are denoted by the presence of one of the following three words : when, whenever, or at, followed by the trigger condition (which can simply be arriving at a step of a turn, such as in "at the beginning of your upkeep" abilities).

So for activated abilities, you're looking for a colon, and for triggered abilities, you're looking for the words when, whenever or at. Some keyword abilities do not show these elements in card text, but instead have them "hidden" in their full rules meaning. Annihilator X stands for "When this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices X permanents", so it's a triggered ability. Cycling X stands for "X, discard this card : draw a card", so it's an activated ability.

Every other kind of ability is a static ability. They're not activated or triggered, they're just "there".

Yet, this card is printed at Mythic and all the cards you mention are just Rare. Looks to me with each expansion wizards is increasingly trying to steal money out of your hands and feed the secondary market.

Edit: OK, so going back over MaRo's original article, my definition of "mythic" is incorrect. Here is his words from www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a... :  "We want the flavor of mythic rare to be something that feels very special and unique. Generally speaking we expect that to mean cards like Planeswalkers, most legends, and epic-feeling creatures and spells. They will not just be a list of each set's most powerful tournament-level cards." he then goes on to say, "We've also decided that there are certain things we specifically do not want to be mythic rares. The largest category is utility cards."

So, using this logic, this new angel is a legendary creature, and there for justifies it's status as mythic. Now that the full spoiler has been released, looking over each color, the only cards that don't sit well with me at mythic are any of the mythic cards with the leveler ability. To me they feel like too much of a commitment to a single card but I guess I will wait until I can really play with them before making any more judgements.

I would just like to say my previous statements in this thread were misguided and incorrect.

I'm coming around on the levelers. Yes kargaan dragonlord feels more like a blood knight than a hellkite overlord especially when you first play him and you can't level him up to a flier for at least two turns (if you play him turn 2). I think after we turn him into hellkite overlord a couple of times we'll start to come around on his mythicness. Though I wish they had a way to make him legendary in his final stage. I have linked legendary creatures and mythics in my mind for the most part. In fact it is linked so much in my mind that I was upset that gwafa hazid, profiteer was not mythic due to him being legendary. To me the fact that this guy is important enough to be named and be unique on the battlefield is enough to promote him to mythic. For instance there could be 100 vengevines out there rampaging through cities and towns. That doesn't make him very unique or special IMO but there is only one of each legend. We have selected these people/beings out of the story and given them a name. It could be just me but that is pretty special. Usually they play some kind of role in the stories and as players we can relate to them like toshiro umizawa and heartless hidetsugu. These were characters that we loved in the story that were brought to life in their cards and as such should be rewarded with mythic status. With gwafa the question is why was he not mythic? He used bribery counters which has never been seen before in magic. He had a unique ability and he was a big enough part of the storyline that he was awarded the legendary creature status. They could easily have made him "Betrayer of the public's trust" and taken away the legend status while leaving him with the same ability. I think baneslayer angel should have been legendary then it would be less powerful and more worthy of mythic status.

Anyway back to your post. Like you I don't have a problem with the mythics being mythics but my biggest issue is that I don't see any commons/uncommons that are really worth cracking packs for. In shards we had the tri lands blighting, wild nacatl etc... in conflux we had path to exile, volcanic fallout and a couple more. In Alara reborn we had bloodbraid elf, putrid leech, and quasali pridemage. In M10 we had overrun, fireball, sleep, lightning bolt etc...In Zendikar we had the uncommon duals, goblin ruinblaster and some cool vampires, In worldwake we had kor firewalker, and loam lion. I really should give the set more time rather than declaring this off hand but to me the best uncommon is artisan of kozilek. Maybe one of the totem armor sees competitive play infrequently, wall of omens is certain to be a big hit in the right deck. Depending on what happens to the format some will see play here and there. The problem I'm having is that I don't think there are any commons and uncommons that are going to be tournament staples for the duration of their life in standard. On the flipside however I see many tournament staples at rare and/or mythic in this set. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of cards that I like at common and uncommon and I'm sure they'll see play in tournaments infrequently but those ones that you just know are going to be good cards are missing. Maybe wall of omens. Some people have said inquisition of kozilek which to me seems like a really bad thoughtsieze. Basically a card that is on par with duress which is common and will likely be a better option much of the time than this uncommon. staggershock will be an option for red decks but by no means an auto include the way that lightning bolt is. Jacob built an explosive revalation deck on building on a budget and of course he went with black so as not to break the budget however I could see a U/R deck that wins via explosive revelation for 15 damage being competitive infrequently like some of the combo decks of the past Swans of bryn argoll + seismic assault won a tournament here and there but got hated out pretty easily.

don't worry I'm probably totally wrong about this so I'll be eating my words a couple of months from now and I hope that is the case.
I don't have a problem with the mythics being mythics but my biggest issue is that I don't see any commons/uncommons that are really worth cracking packs for. In shards we had the tri lands blighting, wild nacatl etc... in conflux we had path to exile, volcanic fallout and a couple more. In Alara reborn we had bloodbraid elf, putrid leech, and quasali pridemage. In M10 we had overrun, fireball, sleep, lightning bolt etc...In Zendikar we had the uncommon duals, goblin ruinblaster and some cool vampires, In worldwake we had kor firewalker, and loam lion. I really should give the set more time rather than declaring this off hand but to me the best uncommon is artisan of kozilek. Maybe one of the totem armor sees competitive play infrequently, wall of omens is certain to be a big hit in the right deck. Depending on what happens to the format some will see play here and there. The problem I'm having is that I don't think there are any commons and uncommons that are going to be tournament staples for the duration of their life in standard. On the flipside however I see many tournament staples at rare and/or mythic in this set. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of cards that I like at common and uncommon and I'm sure they'll see play in tournaments infrequently but those ones that you just know are going to be good cards are missing. Maybe wall of omens. Some people have said inquisition of kozilek which to me seems like a really bad thoughtsieze. Basically a card that is on par with duress which is common and will likely be a better option much of the time than this uncommon. staggershock will be an option for red decks but by no means an auto include the way that lightning bolt

I agree about the low number of good commons and uncommons for constructed in RoE, but I'm even more worried about the lack of tournament viable nonmythic rares. There are a few, but much less than what we're used to from recent sets, and even those that are viable are not preselling for a lot (8$ max for top-notch stuff such as Student of  Warfare.) The financial value of this set looks pretty disapointing overall. All of the value is concentrated in Mythic, in only a few of the mythics even, and I really hope that's not a pattern they're gonna repeat often. I know I'm not buying a box just in hope of opening Kozilek or Gideon, the only two mythics I really find desirable (and that I won't get for free : I like Emrakul too, but I'm guraranteed two foil ones for going to prereleases both on Saturday and Sunday). Really, with a theme (giant monsters) that doesn't appeal to many players, and a low financial value, something tells me RoE may very well be the worst-selling set of the year. It's not that big of a deal in my mind, I'm pretty sure I'll still appreciate the set in Limited a lot and that the few cards that have an impact in constructed will have a big one (I believe Wall of Omens, for instance, is gonna cause a metagame change in Standard by its lonesome, as a  heap card advantage granting 4-thoughness blocker is exactly the kind of card slow decks needed to be able to beat the Jund boggeyman). Let's hope WotC learns something from it if it doesn't pay.

Wowza... cool card. makes Pithing Needle cry, though. Cry

Not really that excited about it, for some reason. Never really did like "angels' though...

Vengevine?  Now there's a card that was clearly made mythic simply because it's going to be in such high demand.

Word. From here on, I dub thee Bulbasaur!!! Can't get a more un-epic feeling than him... (a.k.a. Gimme Money mouthMoney mouthMoney mouth Kthx!).

I don't know, but when I think Mythic I think something like Baneslayer or if Tarmogoyf where to be reprinted. I think mythic should be reserved for cards that nearly broken, cards so powerful, they would give an unfair advantage to a player in limited just by playing that card all by it self or atleast screams "deal with me or you loose".

I think the biggest reason that people get upset is because, when Wizards first announced mythic rarity, they came out and declared what it was going to mean.  Directly from MaRo's article:

"We want the flavor of mythic rare to be something that feels very special and unique. Generally speaking we expect that to mean cards like Planeswalkers, most legends, and epic-feeling creatures and spells. They will not just be a list of each set's most powerful tournament-level cards."

I think there are two things going on here.  First of all, this Angel doesn't feel terribly flavorful (to me anyway) other than having been given Legendary status, but Legendary doesn't mean it's automatically mythic.

Second, this card is very aggressively costed with a very powerful ability (I personally wish it affected all players or didn't affect affect mana abilities... but both together is just ridiculous).  That means that players want it, which means they don't want it to be mythic.  Now, just because the ability feels powerful doesn't mean it feels epic, which is what people are arguing.

The fact that they made it Legendary makes it arguable that they can make this mythic, but it's a weak argument.  They have no leg to stand on in regards to Vengevine however.  That is 100% about reducing supply on something in high demand to earn more money.  Which I don't have a problem with.  They're a business and it's in everyone's interest for that business to succeed, because it means we get to continue playing the game.  The issue is that MaRo won't admit that they changed their policy once they realized the benefits of doing so.
Sign In to post comments