Top Five Cards

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
What do you think the top five cards are in Extended? A thread I made in the Standard section has kind of devolved into discussing this, so I was wondering what the people who play Extended thought.

One list has Path, Bob, Goyf, Nacatl and Jace as the top five. What do you think? 
Lands notwithstanding, my vote would go to Path, Bob, Nacatl, KotR, and Goyf.
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
Hexmage ( or depths either part of the combo)

Thopter(or sword either part of the combo)

Fetchlands

Scapeshift

Goyf

These are all cards that when I am building a deck list I have to ask myself can I deal with a turn 2 20/20 or can I deal with a bunch or 1/1s and can I deal with 36 damage to the head from a deck that will be beating down on me at the same time with 3/2 and goyfs. All these things define the meta in that you are either faster then these combos or you can stop them if you can't do either then you will not make it in the extended meta.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
It's hard to make a list with two combos (Dark Depths-Hexmage and Thopter Foundry-Sword of the Meek) being such a huge part of this format but being mediocre to terrible by themselves.  If we exclude those, I'd go with these:

Tarmogoyf
Dark Confidant
Path to Exile
Knight of the Reliquary
Scapeshift

If we include the two combos, they would bump off KotR and... Scapeshift, I guess. 
Bob
goyf
knight
jace
scapeshift

Excluding lands:

Chrome Mox
Dark Confidant
Path to Exile
Tarmogoyf

Number five is tricky, as there's lots of options: Bitterblossom, Thougthseize, Engineered Explsovies, Jace, Knight of the reliquary, scapeshift etc.

I'd be tempted to include Academy Ruins, since it's not typically there to produce mana....
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/

"Black Lotus x4, Time Walk x4. and Mox Sapphire x4?, Maybe he is running the budget version"

[center]---Standard---[/center]

Eldrazi Green

:R: Red Deck Wins :R:

:G::W: Naya :W::G::R:

---Extended---

Red Deck Wins

2. Demigod of Revenge

What is this supposed to mean...

2. Demigod of Revenge

What is this supposed to mean...

some one got rolled by AIR
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Turn 1

1. Mountain, Chrome Mox (Some red spell), exile Simian Spirit Guide, Seething Song, Demigod of Revenge, attack.

That's what this means.

"Black Lotus x4, Time Walk x4. and Mox Sapphire x4?, Maybe he is running the budget version"

Eldrazi Green

---Extended---

Red Deck Wins

lol

Turn 1

1. Mountain, Chrome Mox (Some red spell), exile Simian Spirit Guide, Seething Song, Demigod of Revenge, attack.

That's what this means.

We're aware what AIR is.  It's not that good and it's hilarious that you think it's top 5 along, with the fact is that deus is better even within that specific deck.
Bob
C Mox
Goyf
Bblossom
Scapeshift

Turn 1

That's what this means.

We're aware what AIR is.  It's not that good and it's hilarious that you think it's top 5 along, with the fact is that deus is better even within that specific deck.

I think it's hilarious that you think Dues is better.

Eldrazi Green

---Extended---

Red Deck Wins

Turn 1

That's what this means.

Assuming this happens on turn 1 and your opponet only has 1 mana he can use for removal and we will say he has path since it's the most used.

Your opponet paths demigod you got in for 5 damage and are now down 3-4 cards

Your opponet paths deus you are down 3-4 cards and got in for no damage

Now when your opponet does not have that 1 mana removal spell on turn 1 things become much different.

Demigod will kill them in 3 turns this is also 3 turns for them where they will be playing lands and might be able to use more explensive removal like terminate and such

Deus destroys their lands every turn essentially locking down the game unless they can get a lane and a path in the next 4 turns.

The difference when they have path isn't very much the difference when they don't is huge this is why deus is better.
89522235 wrote:

Turn 1

That's what this means.

So I've probably played with and against this deck more times than sanctioned matches you've played... Deus is unquestionably the better turn 1 play out of the two fatties, but the best turn 1 play the deck could make was a moon effect plus chalice, or moon effect plus empty for 3-4.

The deck is great, if all you want to get out of your competetive magic experience is coinflips all day... and even if you 'win' the coinflip, you might not win the game.
Alright guys, I gotcha, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, and I don't really feel like going int oa drawn out arguement, so you guys win .

Eldrazi Green

---Extended---

Red Deck Wins

Troll of the Year.