RoE and Rebound

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello folks!

Can anyone explain how Rebound works?

Does the spell happen, as in happen happens, the turn you cast it...or it only resolve when the next upkeep comes, and, if you want to.

The reminder text is quite confusing for me, sorry. It says... "If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost."

I'm guessing the spell will only happen happen the next upkeep...

Thanks~!!

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. "This too shall pass." -Hebrew saying "Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?" -Dymecoar
happen happen?  What?

We won't know exactly how it works until the FAQ and rules update are released.

However, one of the MtG articles about the new set describes it like this:
"As you can see, Prey's Vengeance can be cast normally, and once your next upkeep rolls around, it will "rebound" back to be cast again, if you so desire.

Hello folks!

Does the spell happen, as in happen happens, the turn you cast it...or it only resolve when the next upkeep comes, and, if you want to.

The reminder text is quite confusing for me, sorry. It says... "If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost."

Thanks~!!

If you're exiling it as it resolves, that means it's resolving. That means it has its effect.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

Hello folks!

Thanks~!!

The spell as you say "happens" happens(possibly) twice, as it is being cast twice(if you choose to cast it again after it has been exiled). Once when you initially cast it from your hand (it is exiled from the rebound's replacement effect) and then you can cast it again at the beginning of your next upkeep should you choose so via rebounds second sentence.

In short, the spell is being cast twice (if you choose to cast it from exile)

MTG Rules Advisor - 4/3/2010I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
The reminder text isn't confusion, it clearly states how the ability works.

YOu cast it from your hand, exiling it as it resolves.
Then at the beginning of your next upkeep, you cast it again.
Because the second time it's cast, it isn't cast form your hand, it isn't exiled.

Simple and straight forward.
… and then, the squirrels came.
I think "resolve" might be the rules word to what you describe as "happen".
Mark Rosewater's article that was posted this morning, On the Rise, Part III clarifies the purpose of rebound. He said, "Rebound is essentially instants and sorceries that 'go off' twice, once this turn and once at the beginning of your next upkeep."

The reminder text isn't confusion, it clearly states how the ability works.

YOu cast it from your hand, exiling it as it resolves.
Then at the beginning of your next upkeep, you cast it again.
Because the second time it's cast, it isn't cast form your hand, it isn't exiled.

Simple and straight forward.

Sorry, but the reminder text is misleading.

Rebound appears meant to exile the card as the last effect of the spell resolving, but the reminder text, "If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost," sounds more like exiling the card is the first effect of the spell resolving.

If it would exile itself first then it would remove itself from the stack. With the spell off the stack before any other lines of text resolved, those later lines would not resolve unless they were clearly effects or abilities that would be active in the exile zone, such as suspend or rebound. So the spell would not resolve any ordinary effects if cast from hand. Hence, Muchi's interpretation that the spell would have its ordinary effects only during the next upkeep does fit the reminder text.

Sorry, but the reminder text is misleading.

Rebound appears meant to exile the card as the last effect of the spell resolving, but the reminder text, "If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost," sounds more like exiling the card is the first effect of the spell resolving.

If it would exile itself first then it would remove itself from the stack. With the spell off the stack before any other lines of text resolved, those later lines would not resolve unless they were clearly effects or abilities that would be active in the exile zone, such as suspend or rebound. So the spell would not resolve any ordinary effects if cast from hand. Hence, Muchi's interpretation that the spell would have its ordinary effects only during the next upkeep does fit the reminder text.

You never resolve part of a spell of ability, it either resolves or it doesn't.  The reminder text isn't misleading at all.

Sorry, you never resolve part of a spell of ability, it either resolves or it doesn't.  The reminder text isn't misleading at all.

I should have checked the rules first, because they agree with Dekz about trying to resolve completely.
608.2j If an instant spell, sorcery spell, or ability that can legally resolve leaves the stack once it starts to resolve, it will continue to resolve fully.

But I am more accustomed to the rule that says that sometimes a spell cannot resolve completely.
609.3. If an effect attempts to do something impossible, it does only as much as possible.
Example: If a player is holding only one card, an effect that reads "Discard two cards" causes him or her to discard only that card. If an effect moves cards out of the library (as opposed to drawing), it moves as many as possible.

Some cards (Like Time stop) exile themselves halfway thorugh their resolution. They still resolve.

Once the process begins, it ends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyways, Buyback modifies where a card ends up after it resolves, they'll probally template it like that.
… and then, the squirrels came.
The Rebound FAQ has been posted in one of the DailyMTG articles. Here - www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...
But I am more accustomed to the rule that says that sometimes a spell cannot resolve completely.
609.3. If an effect attempts to do something impossible, it does only as much as possible.
Example: If a player is holding only one card, an effect that reads "Discard two cards" causes him or her to discard only that card. If an effect moves cards out of the library (as opposed to drawing), it moves as many as possible.

I think it's important to note that the rule you've quoted doesn't say anything about a spell or ability not resolving completely.
This works similar to already existing spells.

Like Arc Blade except that it will have a replacement effect to it leaving the stack for the graveyard (similar to Buyback).

Arc Blade goes to the exile zone with time counters and comes back to be cast again (though turns later)
Rebound sends a card cast from the hand to the exile zone (but it still has its effect now too) and a delayed trigger makes you cast it again next upkeep but from the exile zone.

There is a mild difference between the Arc Blade cycle and Rebound though.
The Arc Blade cycle has it as a spell effect whereas Rebound is a conditional replacement effect.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

The spell/ability still completely resolves.  Some of its effects may not actually accomplish something though.

"Target opponent loses 2 life and discards 2 cards" for example. 

If your opponent has no cards in hand, he still loses 2 life.

This works similar to already existing spells.

Like Arc Blade except that it will have a replacement effect to it leaving the stack for the graveyard (similar to Buyback).

Arc Blade goes to the exile zone with time counters and comes back to be cast again (though turns later)
Rebound sends a card cast from the hand to the exile zone (but it still has its effect now too) and a delayed trigger makes you cast it again next upkeep but from the exile zone.

You have Rebound wrong. The effect moves the Rebound card from the stack to Exile during the resolution of the spell; you do not move the card straight from hand to exile.

There is a mild difference between the Arc Blade cycle and Rebound though.
The Arc Blade cycle has it as a spell effect whereas Rebound is a conditional replacement effect.

Again, no.

Replacement effects are not a separate subclass of abilities. They can be generated by any of the four classes of ability. Arc Blade's (self) replacxement effect happens to be generated by a spell ability, whereas Rebound's replacement effect could be either a static or (conceivablly) triggered ability; until the CR is released we don't know.

(ETA : I agree with the speculation that the closest currently-existing equivalent is Buyback.)
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
It's not clear in my wording, but Rebound sets up a conditional (dependant on from where it's cast) replacement effect that moves it to the exile zone instead of the graveyard as the final step of resolution. Arc Blade and its ilk have a spell ability that exiles it before it would go to the graveyard.

***New Keyword Ability: Rebound***
Rebound is an ability that lets you cast an instant or sorcery a second time for free during your next upkeep.
* If a spell with rebound that you cast from your hand is countered for any reason (due to a spell like Cancel, or because all of its targets are illegal), the spell doesn't resolve and rebound has no effect. The spell is simply put into your graveyard. You won't get to cast it again next turn.
* If you cast a spell with rebound from anywhere other than your hand (such as from your graveyard due to Sins of the Past, from your library due to cascade, or from your opponent's hand due to Sen Triplets), rebound won't have any effect. If you do cast it from your hand, rebound will work regardless of whether you paid its mana cost (for example, if you cast it from your hand due to Maelstrom Archangel).
* If a replacement effect would cause a spell with rebound that you cast from your hand to be put somewhere else instead of your graveyard (such as Leyline of the Void might), you choose whether to apply the rebound effect or the other effect as the spell resolves.
* Rebound will have no effect on copies of spells because you don't cast them from your hand.
* If you cast a spell with rebound from your hand and it resolves, it isn't put into your graveyard. Rather, it's exiled directly from the stack. Effects that care about cards being put into your graveyard won't do anything.
* At the beginning of your upkeep, all delayed triggered abilities created by rebound effects trigger. You may handle them in any order. If you want to cast a card this way, you do so as part of the resolution of its delayed triggered ability. Timing restrictions based on the card's type (if it's a sorcery) are ignored. Other restrictions are not (such as the one from Rule of Law).
* If you are unable to cast a card from exile this way (because there are no legal targets for it, for example), or you choose not to, nothing happens when the delayed triggered ability resolves. The card remains exiled for the rest of the game, and you won't get another chance to cast the card. The same is true if the ability is countered (due to Stifle, perhaps).
* If you cast a card from exile this way, it will go to your graveyard when it resolves or is countered. It won't go back to exile.
 -----
* Multiple instances of rebound on the same spell are redundant.
* The rebound effect is not optional. Each instant and sorcery spell you cast from your hand is exiled instead of being put into your graveyard as it resolves, whether you want it to be or not. Casting the spell during your next upkeep is optional, however.
* If a spell moves itself into another zone as part of its resolution (as Arc Blade, All Suns' Dawn, and Beacon of Unrest do), rebound won't get a chance to apply.
* If a spell you cast from your hand has both rebound and buyback (and the buyback cost was paid), you choose which effect to apply as it resolves.
* You'll be able to cast a spell with flashback three times this way. First you can cast it from your hand. It will be exiled due to rebound as it resolves. Then you can cast it from exile due to rebound's delayed triggered ability. It will be put into your graveyard as it resolves. Then you can cast it from your graveyard due to flashback. It will be exiled due to flashback as it resolves.
* For the rebound effect to happen, Cast Through Time needs to be on the battlefield as the spell finishes resolving. For example, if you cast Warp World from your hand, and as part of its resolution it puts Cast Through Time onto the battlefield, Warp World will rebound. Conversely, if Warp World shuffles your Cast Through Time into your library as part of its resolution, and doesn't put another one onto the battlefield, it will not rebound.
* If you cast an instant or sorcery spell from your hand and it's exiled due to rebound, the delayed triggered ability will allow you to cast it during your next upkeep even if Cast Through Time has left the battlefield by then.
* If you cast a card from exile "without paying its mana cost," you can't pay any alternative costs. Any X in the mana cost will be 0. On the other hand, if the card has optional additional costs (such as kicker or multikicker), you may pay those when you cast the card. If the card has mandatory additional costs (such as Momentous Fall does), you must pay those if you choose to cast the card.
* If a spell has restrictions on when it can be cast (for example, "Cast [this spell] only during the declare blockers step"), those restrictions may prevent you from casting it from exile during your upkeep.
* If you cast a spell using the madness or suspend abilities, you're casting it from exile, not from your hand. Although those spells will have rebound, the ability won't have any effect.
* Similarly, if you gain control of an instant or sorcery spell with Commandeer, it will have rebound, but the ability won't do anything because that spell wasn't cast from your hand.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Given the answers in the FAQ, it's clear that Rebound's exiling effect works exactly like Buyback.
Wow! This turned out to be longer than I thought.
Thanks for all the replies. I've read the FAQ, thank you very much for the link.

Rebound for the win!!
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. "This too shall pass." -Hebrew saying "Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?" -Dymecoar