TPK, Charity Death Clause and XP

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

Invoke the Death Charity clause.

If the group cannot afford to pay for the ritual (or doesn’t desire to do so), the PC can choose to return back to life at the end of the adventure. Doing so forfeits all rewards including treasure and story rewards) earned for the adventure except experience points gained prior to the character’s death (the character receives the experience point award for the encounter in which they died). The PC cannot participate in the same adventure a second time.

I'm seeing DMs handle XP differently when there is a TPK and the Charity Death Clause is invoked, and I would like to get the correct answer. The question is what happens when there is a TPK and the entire party dies, thus failing an encounter.

Do the PCs receive full XP for that encounter per the Charity Death Clause above?

Do the PCs receive 1/2 XP for that encounter since they failed it?

Do the PCs receive full XP for each monster they killed up to the point they died, then 1/2 XP (or no XP) for the remaining monsters?

Do the PCs receive no XP for the encounter?

Invoke the Death Charity clause.

If the group cannot afford to pay for the ritual (or doesn’t desire to do so), the PC can choose to return back to life at the end of the adventure. Doing so forfeits all rewards including treasure and story rewards) earned for the adventure except experience points gained prior to the character’s death (the character receives the experience point award for the encounter in which they died). The PC cannot participate in the same adventure a second time.

I'm seeing DMs handle XP differently when there is a TPK and the Charity Death Clause is invoked, and I would like to get the correct answer. The question is what happens when there is a TPK and the entire party dies, thus failing an encounter.

Do the PCs receive full XP for that encounter per the Charity Death Clause above?

Do the PCs receive 1/2 XP for that encounter since they failed it?

Do the PCs receive full XP for each monster they killed up to the point they died, then 1/2 XP (or no XP) for the remaining monsters?

Do the PCs receive no XP for the encounter?

It's 1/2 XP for an encounter you failed, full for a successful encounter. If one person dies, and the party succeeds, it's full XP even if you died halfway through. If by some means a party wins an encounter and THEN dies(Revenant?), all members of the party would receive full XP for the encounter.

(the character receives the experience point award for the encounter in which they died)

Note that the quoted guideline doesn't say that the character receives full experience, just that they receive the experience point award -- whatever award the party is eligible for, the character receives.

As noted by Sithobi, if the party is wiped out and fails the encounter, everybody gets 1/2 the normal award for having failed.

--
Pauper