Starting LFR with an existing group

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi everyone!

The group I DM for is interested in Living Forgotten Realms. I started them out about 5 sessions ago. They have gone through the Loudwater starter module in the FR Campaign guide and are having loads of fun.

I could use some help answering some questions (bolded below.)

I have rummaged through the many websites (there really should be a set post with step-by-step instructions for this) and I have finally figured out that I need to:

1. Join the WPN and get a RPGA number. DONE
2. Take and pass the Herald-level exam. DONE (just a few hours ago)
3. Schedule an event to get modules. - WHERE? HOW?

That's as far as I have gotten. I'm flying somewhat blind here since I can't locate any groups in Houston, TX doing the same thing. (Granted I probably don't know how to look for them.)

All my players are regulars at a gaming shop nearby too. They hold regular events for Magic: The Gathering and various wargames.

Would having a more official sounding venue than "My House" help? If so I can probably arrange that with my gaming store.

My players have already gone through the Loudwater module and they are past level 1. Can I convert them somehow over to LFR?

What about items they obtained? Valid? Not Valid?

What about all the little side quests they kind of forced me to create by chasing down an unexpected avenue for adventure? Not valid? Happened but no XP counted?

I'm trying to do this by the book or at least in a way that isn't going to break the LFR, tick off other players, or DMs my players rotate to, etc.

I have no guidance local to me that I've found yet, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Learn more about Xolok the Terrible's thoughts and feelings at: xoloktheterrible.blogspot.com
As far as ordering modules go, you should be able to sanction a private game (or non-public), select modules and download them with the instructions you'll receive via email shortly thereafter.

On Wizards' main site, they're hyping D&D Encounters a lot, so I'd use their event locator and look for D&D Encounters events near you and ask around.
As far as ordering modules go, you should be able to sanction a private game (or non-public), select modules and download them with the instructions you'll receive via email shortly thereafter.

On Wizards' main site, they're hyping D&D Encounters a lot, so I'd use their event locator and look for D&D Encounters events near you and ask around.

Thanks. I finally found the link to sanction the event.

I don't want to pick out a mod and schedule it until I know I can bring my group's higher level characters or if they'd have to start over at 1 again.
Learn more about Xolok the Terrible's thoughts and feelings at: xoloktheterrible.blogspot.com
The easiest fix I think would be to convert the xp and gold and items from the unofficial adventure to values based on a My Realms adventure. They might lose a small amount of xp or gold, and more likely may have to trade in an item, but is the best fix to get them as "ok" as possible within the rules. It's not that big a deal really.
My players have already gone through the Loudwater module and they are past level 1. Can I convert them somehow over to LFR?

Download the adaptation for Barrow of the Ogre King (ADAP1-1).  The PCs can earn whatever is allowed by that adaptation.

Download MYRE1-1.  Any adventures you create or adapt from non-LFR sources can be MyRealms adventures.  You can only give out the rewards that MYRE1-1 allows you to (which means no items of higher level than the PC) and consistent with LFR rules (which means no more than one found magic item per level).

Write up log sheets for your players, so they all know how much they have in the way of XP/GP/items.  You can either download the official one or use a condensed format.

It's unlikely that you're going to run into any problems XP-wise, but it is quite possible that you gave too much gold or too high a level of magic items, which you will need to deal with to make the characters legal.