Convinced my local comic store to offer DnD Encounters, but.....

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
At PAX East I got to get a taste of the encounters program and I thought it was cool. Mr. Tulach was there and I chatted him up about how to get it rolling at my local comic/DnD store since they didn't offer it. It was simple, tell them how good it is for business and offer to host the program. I figured I could handle that. I went there immediatly after PAX.

So I walked in, talked to the owner about the encounters program and how awesome it is. He seemed to like it and said he'd talk it over with some of the DnD players on Sunday. After I talked to him today he said it was a go and that he'd order the encounter kits. Now my problem is.....

#1) I'm only a herald in the RPGA for DnD4e. Do I need another certification to run this event?
#2) I think he only ordered one kit, should he order like...4 or 5?
#3) Is there anything else I should do before the kits arrive? Stuff to buy/bring?
#4) I'm going to be overseeing the event (if possible). Can I still DM for the event?
#5) I'm still kinda new to the RPGA thing. Who needs to fill out what paperwork when the event happens?
#6)Under the assumption there is a lot of new people coming to this, where could I get the DCI/RPGA cards to hand out?

Sorry for all the questions (especially if they've been answered). I didn't expect this to happen at all, but now I'm excitied and kinda freaking out, lol. Any and all help is appriciated. Thanks!
Sorry to burst your bubble but I believe it is too late to order any kits because there are none left. There was an official e-mail sent out earlier this (last?) week that stated all kits had been shipped so, unless there is a second printing, you might be out of luck.  Frown
At PAX East I got to get a taste of the encounters program and I thought it was cool. Mr. Tulach was there and I chatted him up about how to get it rolling at my local comic/DnD store since they didn't offer it. It was simple, tell them how good it is for business and offer to host the program. I figured I could handle that. I went there immediatly after PAX.

So I walked in, talked to the owner about the encounters program and how awesome it is. He seemed to like it and said he'd talk it over with some of the DnD players on Sunday. After I talked to him today he said it was a go and that he'd order the encounter kits. Now my problem is.....

Welcome to RPGA/WPN event organization!  It's a fun, if somewhat initially confusing/overwhelming place to be.

#1) I'm only a herald in the RPGA for DnD4e. Do I need another certification to run this event?

To actually run a table, you don't need any certifications at all - though it can't hurt to be a Herald GM.  Further, you might want to join the DM Rewards program if you haven't already done so.

#2) I think he only ordered one kit, should he order like...4 or 5?

One kit will support 2 tables of up to 6 players each, and up to 2 GMs.  The sanctioning system will only allow ordering 2 kits.  If you need more, you'd have to contact your WPN rep directly - and be able to justify the need.

Add to this the fact that kits are sold out - and I'd be crossing my fingers that he really did get to secure one of the last kits.  

#3) Is there anything else I should do before the kits arrive? Stuff to buy/bring?

Not particularly.  When the game nights begin, bring your typical DM supplies (dice, a way to track initiative, Player's Handbook) - pretty much everything you need to know as a DM (beyond basic rules) is in the adventure.

#4) I'm going to be overseeing the event (if possible). Can I still DM for the event?

Yup!  I'm both the organizer and the DM of my store.

#5) I'm still kinda new to the RPGA thing. Who needs to fill out what paperwork when the event happens?

To report the event(s) you'll need the DCI # of each player.  Offically you'll need 4-6 players per table, plus one GM (also per table).  No more, no less.
#6)Under the assumption there is a lot of new people coming to this, where could I get the DCI/RPGA cards to hand out?

There is an option in the DCI Members page that lets you order membership cards.  If your store doesn't have DCI cards (if they run Magic:the Gathering events they probably have a couple stacks already) you can order a stack of cards.

Sorry for all the questions (especially if they've been answered). I didn't expect this to happen atall, but now I'm excitied and kinda freaking out, lol. Any and all help is appriciated. Thanks!

We're all here to help each other.  Ask anytime!
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Oh balls, well I bet he's in for a surprise when he tries to order those kits. Hrm, in that case.....is there going to be more kits when the next season of encounters starts? Dug through some posts and found the DM/Player rewards thing, thanks for that!
Yeah, next season will start from scratch on June 9th with scheduling opening a few weeks before that.  If the owner wasn't able to get a kit this time, just have him make sure and schedule next season as soon as scheduling opens.

And, yeah, one very cool thing about DMing the Encounters program is that it's a pretty much a guaranteed reward point each and every week!
Also, to any new DM doing Encounters: I find the 4e DM's screen to be an invaluable resource at my table.

Cheers
Sign In to post comments