Dragon 386 - Winning Races: Changelings

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png   Dragon 386
Winning Races: Changelings

By Matthew J. Hanson

Today in Dragon, we get a discussion of Changelings known as "Becomers," who take on the identity of another race predominantly, at least in their backstory.  We also get three new backgrounds and a feat to help you better emulate other races as a Becomer. 

You wear your disguise out of fear. You might live in a land where all changelings are hunted, or you might be singled out. Perhaps you were falsely accused of a crime, or witnessed something so unspeakable that the perpetrator cannot bear to let you live. How do you decide who to trust with your identity and who might betray you?

Talk about this article here.

386_wr_changeling.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

One... feat?

God damnit. 
Yes, finally, the most feat-starved race in the game FINALLY gets some coverage in Dragon!  I can't wait to read all the awesome feats and paragon paths they came up with for it!  I.... oh... one... feat.  But at least it's.. um... yeah, well... it IS a feat, I guess.  It's not necessarily worse than Linguist.  Not exactly.  Sorry, I have to go over here and cry now.
I had actually thought about the Becomers a while ago, and I thought a good feat for them would be to pick a race they can transform into, and they are then able to choose feats and paragon paths as if they were that race (sort of like Revenants).  I think if this is all the support Changelings are looking at for the next few months, that might make a good feat for those Changeling players out there looking for something more useful.  At least then Changelings will have some more choices open to them.
By the call of cuthulu.

Half-elf winning races 10 feats, 1 paragon path, never mind the feats that are usable from human or elf.

Minotaur, Premature release about 6 feats, and 2 paragon paths. Some of which is released again in the PHB3 with more stuff added I'm not even counting, then they get an artical that releases 4 more feats and another paragon path.

Kalaster, 5 feats, and i don't remember how many in the EHB.

Warforged, something like 3-4 feats, along with those in the EHB.

Changeling "Winning  races" 1 feat. And one that isn't even that good either unless you are really hard pressed for pretending to be a human.
I'd get along more with people if they didn't jump onto a hyberbole every single time you say something they don't understand.
I'm all for fluff but honestly I like at least some effort put into decent crunch as well, one feat while ok in itself for flavour does not make a good article imo
Very underwhelming, and a tad dissapointing.  I'll take what I can get however.
Whats really funny is if you search for my thread on changeling feats, I had one called Becoming. Which basically allowed you to pick racial feats from a specific race. One of the only people who actually came to help with wording and stuff* suggested it was a little too light and should give another +5 to the disguise check and/or the racial language.

Which is pretty much what they gave us as the one little bone, but they removed the "Half-elfism" out of the feat and added a skill bonus. Which lets face it.. if this feat is ever used its going to be for humans.

Anycase, Since I know that if you don't like something, make something better, I'm going to work on changeling feats first, create an artical that doesn't suck the excitement right out of your face, and hopefully be able to finally have some feats that I can actually debate on getting or not.

*Most of the people who came in, instead wanted to nitpick that thier homebrew views of a changeling being able to do nothing more than change his skin color regardless of level, feats or other things, as a reason why my feats were wrong.
I'd get along more with people if they didn't jump onto a hyberbole every single time you say something they don't understand.
This 'article' can scarely be called so. Complete garbage. One feat and not even a very useful or thematic one at that... and three pages of fluff.

While I appreciate the fluff that makes a game more interesting, I do not consider it an even trade off in exchange for a complete lack of player options. Based on the amount of fluff, this article should not be in Dragon when it is clearly a Dungeon content article with a feat tacked on.

Strip all the fluff out and put it in a dungeon article, and then rewrite the article so as to not be nigh completely worthless.

Then we'll talk.
Oh Content, where art thou?
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

My little thread that will quickly be loaded with more feats.
I'll add my disappointment to the pile.  I will admit that I was kinda psyched for a WR: Changeling article, and have a bias for the neglected race, but i can also appreciate a fluff-heavy article if it delivers the goods.  But the fluff in this article is a laundry list of why someone would want to be most pre-PHB3 player races, and that's pretty much it.  No reason to be a drow, gnoll or wraforged, no mention of monster races, just the kind of thing you could easily think up on your own if you want to play this kind of character.  You're encouraging a character idea that basically means giving up a racial feature and giving what in return?  a minor skill bonus, and the extra language they really should get as a racial feature anyway.  thanks.  letting the changeling pick feats and/or PPaths from the second race would make the feat not just a kick in the crotch, but this is still really depressing. 

What did changelings do to you Wizards?  Whatever it was they're sorry.
This is the happy swamp. Love it. I am red/blue, I think logically and act impulsively.
The fluff is nice. but what about the actual physiological information about the Chagelings?

In the various editions it was explained the reproduction and anatomy of the Doppelgangers of various kinds whit many differences (some give the as cross-breeder, other as parthenogenesis, other normally reproducing between male and female (??) dopplers... Some say the shapechange is totally natural mechanism, other involve magic and other psionics...).

I, additionally, would add my disappointment to the list. ONE FEAT?? *Shapechange to Thiefling* DAMN IT!

(and divine chars also get bow attacks... Yes, they was so little supported...)
Actually Play'ng: Nothing. My old party is full of short-sighted racists and sexists (on their own admission), so I left.
Tiefling, Arakis, Tiefling.

That said, I am just a bit disappointed with this article.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Yeah, I'm just gonna add my disappointment to the pot.
Wow, where is the rest of it. This should have been the feat selction.

Becomer
Prerequisite: Changeling, changeling disguise power
Benefit: When you select this feat, you must choose one race that you can imitate with your changeling disguise power. You learn one additional language known by the race you chose (if the race can choose any language so can you), and you gain a +2 racial bonus to one skill to which the chosen race gains a bonus (if you chose human you gain the bonus to one skill of your choice). Additionally, when using changeling disguise to imitate your chosen race, you gain an additional +5 bonus to avoid detection.
You can also take feats, a paragon path, and an epic destiny that have your Becomer race as a prerequisite, as long as you meet all other prerequisites.

Dragonborn Becomer
Prerequisites: Dragonborn, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the dragon breath dragonborn racial power (Player's Handbook, page 34). In a given encounter, you can use either your dragon breath racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Drow Becomer
Prerequisites: Drow, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the Lolthtouched drow racial feature (Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, page 8) and its associated powers. In a given encounter, you can use a Lolthtouched power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Dwarf Becomer
Prerequisites: Dwarf, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the Dwarven Resilience dwarf racial feature (Player's Handbook, page 35). In a given encounter, you can use Dwarven Resilience or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Eladrin Becomer
Prerequisites: Eladrin, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the fey step eladrin racial power (Player's Handbook, page 38). In a given encounter, you can use your fey step racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Elf Becomer
Prerequisites: Elf, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the elven accuracy elf racial power (Player's Handbook, page 40). In a given encounter, you can use your elven accuracy racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Genasi Becomer
Prerequisites: Genasi, Changeling
Benefit: Choose an Elemental Manifestation available to genasi (Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, pages 10–11). You gain the racial power associated with that Elemental Manifestation. In a given encounter, you can use your genasi racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Githzerai Becomer
Prerequisites: Githzerai, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the Iron Mind Githzerai racial power (Player's Handbook 3, page 8). In a given encounter, you can use your Iron Mind racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Gnome Becomer
Prerequisites: Gnome, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the fade away gnome racial power (Player's Handbook 2, page 10). In a given encounter, you can use your fade away racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Goliath Becomer
Prerequisites: Goliath, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the stone's endurance goliath racial power of goliaths (Player's Handbook 2, page 12). In a given encounter, you can use your stone's endurance racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Half-Elf Becomer
Prerequisites: Half-elf, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the Dilettante half-elf racial feature (Player's Handbook, page 42). In a given encounter, you can use the power you chose for Dilettante or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Half-Orc Becomer
Prerequisites: Half-orc, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the furious assault half-orc racial power (Player's Handbook 2, page 14). In a given encounter, you can use your furious assault racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Halfling Becomer
Prerequisites: Halfling, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the second chance halfling racial power (Player's Handbook, page 44). In a given encounter, you can use your second chance racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Hellfire Becomer
Prerequisites: Changeling, tiefling
Benefit: Your Changeling Trick racial power deals fire damage and necrotic damage.

Kalashtar Becomer
Prerequisites: Kalashtar, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the Bastion of Mental Clarity Minotaur racial power (Eberon Player's Handbook, page 30). In a given encounter, you can use your Bastion of Mental Clarity racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Human Becomer
Prerequisites: Human, Changeling
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will defenses.

Minotaur Becomer
Prerequisites: Minotaur, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the Goring Charge Minotaur racial power (Player's Handbook 3, page 10). In a given encounter, you can use your Goring Charge racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Shadar-Kai Becomer
Prerequisites: Changeling, shadar-kai
Benefit: You gain the shadow jaunt shadar-kai racial power (Dragon 372, page 6). In a given encounter, you can use your shadow jaunt racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Shardmind Becomer
Prerequisites: Shardmind, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the Shardswarm Shardmind racial power (Player's Handbook 3, page 12). In a given encounter, you can use your Goring Charge racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Shifter Becomer
Prerequisites: Changeling, shifter
Benefit: You gain the longtooth shifting shifter racial power or the razorclaw shifting shifter racial power (Player's Handbook 2, page 16). In a given encounter, you can use your shifter racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Tiefling Becomer
Prerequisites: Changeling, tiefling
Benefit: You gain the infernal wrath tiefling racial power (Player's Handbook, page 48). In a given encounter, you can use your infernal wrath racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Warforged Becomer
Prerequisites: Changeling, warforged
Benefit: You gain the warforged resolve warforged racial power (Eberron Player's Guide, page 32). In a given encounter, you can use your warforged resolve racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Wilden Becomer
Prerequisites: Wilden, Changeling
Benefit: You gain the Nature's Aspect Wilden racial power (Player's Handbook 3, page 10). In a given encounter, you can use your Nature's Aspect racial power or your Changeling Trick racial power.

Feat-starved is right.  Very disappointing...
Toxicated, after the changes you made there, I was thinking the other racial feats should have given a racial trait of the race. Like maybe duel mind from kalaster or the defenses from human. Course needing the becomer feat.
Toxicated, after the changes you made there, I was thinking the other racial feats should have given a racial trait of the race. Like maybe duel mind from kalaster or the defenses from human. Course needing the becomer feat.

Good catch on Kalashtar. I added the Kalashtar Becomer feat. I think that covers all the PC races.

Might need to modify the Becomer feat to deal with the small races.
One bit of errata... Kalashtar can select their racial bonus too, and eladrin have an even more powerful skill selection racial benefit than humans. They should get to select skill bonuses just as well, if not better.

Gnomes get the Mark of Scribing, which lets them have four bonus languages which can be swapped around each level (and since the party usually knows what languages they'll need a level in advance.. he always speaks the right languages), a +2 to Diplomacy, and ritual casting with scrolls at half price.

In addition, changelings don't need an extra +5 to impersonate a species: my experience is, changelings will do just fine blowing Insight checks out of the water with their base +5.

You know what would be a better feat, more comparable in utility to the Mark of Scribing and more necessary for changelings?

Becomer
Prerequisite: Changeling, changeling disguise power
Benefit: After an extended rest, you may use changeling disguise to take on a single form. Until the end of your next extended rest, you gain a +2 bonus to a skill check that form's race provides (if you chose human eladrin, or kalashtar you get the bonus to one skill of your choice) and you speak a language that the form speaks (if it has an automatic non-Common language, you speak that, otherwise you may select a language if the form can select any language; for instance, if you take on the form of a half-elf, you learn Elven, but if you take on the form of a human, you learn a language of your choice).
You count as a race for the purpose of effects related to race, and have that race's origin or keywords for the purpose of effects related to origin or keyword. You lose the ability to use changeling disguise but gain one of the following benefits depending on the race you have selected:

Deva

You gain the Astral Resistance racial ability. 

Dragonborn

You gain the Draconic Heritage racial ability.

Dwarf

You gain low-light vision.

Eladrin

You gain the Eladrin Will racial ability.

Elf

You gain the Wild Step racial ability.

... and so on and so forth. You guys get the idea: a massive pile of tiny little benefits, from minor racial abilities to the ability to swap languages once per day to gaining the Fey or undead words to your stats, just in case something requires them.
Just to add myself to the chorus --

What were you thinking?!  One feat?  That's ALL you could come up with for a Winning Races article?  Not even a paragon path?

The kalashtar article was hugely disappointing, but at least it had five flavorful feats.  The warforged article stunk up the place (being entirely based on the relatively lame alchemy system).  Now this.  Why do you people hate the Eberron races so much?
The article itself was an interesting read, but I agree with the sentiment that the fluff of the piece was not so awesome that it makes up for the lack of mechanical goodies.

On a broader note, I want to add to the list of people disappointed to the nigh-complete lack of feat support for changelings that was in not really alleviated by this article. I realize they're something of a niche race, but there has been at least one in every game of 4e that I play (and I DM or play in several different, non-overlapping groups of players).  As of last month's compendium update, changelings have six racial feats available to them.  I realize they get some love out of the most recent assassin article, so 7 feats, and 8 with Becomer.  Humans have 37. Tieflings have 42.  Dragonborn have 69.  As for the other races with historic ties to Eberron, warforged have 13, kalashtar 11, and shifters have 23.  By comparison to other races that appear in setting books rather than PHBs: drow have 48, genasi 44 (though admittedly many of them are specific to one manifestation). Changelings may be emblematic of a general lack of support for the Eberron races.  Fair enough.  Regardless, it seems useless to me to have a discussion as to the amount of support changelings have - by this relatively objective if admittedly imperfect comparison, it's not very much.

Now, if it existing changeling racial feats were all totally awesome, that would be one thing. Taunting Visage is fantastic flavor and neat mechanics, Fluid Anatomy is also great and feels properly epic, and Insidious Shroud is useful (certainly moreso than Initiate of Three Masks).  The rest, to me, seem to be situational, mechanically weird, thematically confusing  or extremely niche-y and not likely to be taken by more than a tiny tiny fraction of actual characters (I'm looking at you, Changeling's Mark). 

I can understand the unique balance issues changelings pose.  Changeling Disguise is, in non-combat social  encounters, probably the most powerful ability possessed by any PC race (and I even can't think of a class power or ability that's strictly better in this regard - Wild Shape, maybe?).  A creative player can leverage CD to be very useful in the middle of combat as well (I have some stories).  Giving changelings too much combat support, particularly for archetypal changeling race-class combos (eg, rogues, bards, arguably psionic classes), could easily make them ridiculously powerful.  One changeling is fun - a party of changelings who are all awesome at everything is not.

But right now, I feel like there must exist a middle ground that is not being taken advantage of, and could be fixed by a single article.  That is why the folks who have posted to this thread are so adamant I think .The Becomers article is interesting and the feat and flavor might be useful for some changelings. But for those of us who have been waiting for the mechanical support for changelings that is so severely lacking (and it seems like there's more than just me), the article is ultimately unsatisfying.  

Thanks for reading.  I know y'all do your best to accommodate the wants of your players as best you can.  What I think you should take away from all this discussion is that there will be a number of your players who will be really psyched if you put out a more general changeling article that focuses mostly on new mechanical options for them.
More like "Losing Races" . . .

(Sorry.  Everything I wanted to say has been said.  That's all I got.)
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
It's been mentioned in other threads, but I want to reiterate that in the Races of Eberron 3.5 book (a book whose flavor is not supposed to be invalidated by 4e), "Becomers" were Changelings who took on and juggled multiple different rolls--"Life is short, but I'm not limited to just one" is the call-out quote. What this article describes are "Passers", not "Becomers".

Also, I question the value of emphasizing the Passers--why would I want to be a Changeling who focuses on not changing? It's a article about how to ignore the race you choose. While I think the idea of a Passer is not a bad one, supporting true Becomers (who actually use their racial traits and actually act as Changelings) would be much more desired.

Was there more to this article that actually made playing a Passer interesting other than the implict suggestion that Changeling players not use their racial abilities?
I'm wondering if we could get a semi-official reply here?

What happened to the crunch?  (Backgrounds don't count.  Sorry.  "Generic Background: You have a story.  Associated Skills; any two." already covered most of the design space.  I like them, but you don't get to claim they are new crunch.)  Did it step on the Revenant's toes too much?  Was it broken-good?  (As a player of a revenant, step away.  We've got the "unkillable" and emo nitch, we don't need a monopoly on the "pretend to be a different race in heroic and paragon" nitch)

Is this going to happen in the future?  (crunch free "crunch articles")

Is anything going to happen with this article before final compilation of the issue?

Did anyone notice that the fluff used the wrong name?

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Or that there's no "Hide" skill in 4E?

(Edit: that was fast; they've already corrected it to "Stealth")

Or that there's no "Hide" skill in 4E?

(Edit: that was fast; they've already corrected it to "Stealth")

Too bad for them, I saved it before they got a chance to replace hide with stealth.
It's been mentioned in other threads, but I want to reiterate that in the Races of Eberron 3.5 book (a book whose flavor is not supposed to be invalidated by 4e), "Becomers" were Changelings who took on and juggled multiple different rolls--"Life is short, but I'm not limited to just one" is the call-out quote. What this article describes are "Passers", not "Becomers".

You're right... I thought it sounded weird; I forgot that the single-identity ones were the Passers, not the Becomers.  Well, that just gives it another negative... almost all of the fluff is just rehashed from earlier fluff, but they got the name wrong.

I feel bad for the author... it's not a terrible article; other than the name mixup it would be just fine if it were a section in a Changeling book.  But as the only support Changelings have got in a long time, some rehashed fluff and a single feat just doesn't cut it.

I feel bad for the author... it's not a terrible article; other than the name mixup it would be just fine if it were a section in a Changeling book.  But as the only support Changelings have got in a long time, some rehashed fluff and a single feat just doesn't cut it.

I don't feel bad for the author, the author should feel bad for himself: Dragon as core means it has standards, and this clearly doesn't meet what I'd call a core quality material.  Everyone already knows what classes the other races are good at and their mindset- I don't want my subscription fee rewarding him for reprinting it here.
I would agree with the disappointment.

We already know why somone would want to be any given player race, because it's written there in the "Play a X if you..." section.

Personally I'd have been more interested to see an article on how "overt" changelings function in society. Perhaps a bit on obvious criminal uses, but also a bit on changeling shapeshifting arts (Acting, modelling, changeling fashions) and interesting uses of shapeshifting for combat. (IE: A utility power which grants improved defenses/resistances as an immediate interrupt, justifiable as a "Martial" exertion of physical effort.)
Nifty Icon courtesy of Tod.
In every way the Chanel Divinity: Sehanine article succeeds this article failed.

I love changelings and the thing I love about them is the ability to "be anyone" - they are the one race for which I think Linguist is a good feat. (Need to be able to talk the talk afterall if impersonating a goblin or orc.)

So an article that says "you should have picked another race"
This is the article I've been waiting on? What a load of poop.
...and interesting uses of shapeshifting for combat. (IE: A utility power which grants improved defenses/resistances as an immediate interrupt, justifiable as a "Martial" exertion of physical effort.)

I like the idea of feats that allow them to emulate certain parts of other races' abilities, so that your changeling can really feel like an amalgam race -- for example, the feats could be marked "shapechange" and specify that you can only gain the advantage of one shapechange feat at a time, possibly further restricting you in that you have to use your Change Shape power to take a form of that race whenever you want to switch.

That would really be fun and cool in combat, as you spend minor actions ever turn or two to change your abilities -- so you can get the dragonborn's increased surge value when you're hurt, then switch to an eladrin's low-light vision to find the hidden foe that shot you, later transforming into an elf for the speed bonus you need to reach him for an attack...
I agree that this article is very disappointing, but I disagree that racial feats are necessary. I play a Genasi warlord, and I doubt he will train in a single racial feat. He can only have 18 feats, and there are too many other kinds of feats in which to train for him to worry about racial feats.

Now I realize that some races like Eladrin and Dwarves have very powerful feat combinations, but even then certain classes do not need to use those feats.
Member of Grognards for 4th Edition
Don't be too quick to judge the author for the lack of crunch.  My understanding of how the article process works is the following:

Author pitches an idea to WotC.
WotC commisions the author to make a full article within the scope of the pitch and gives them a word count to hit.
Author writes the article, fluff and crunch.
Author submits the article to WotC.
WotC removes/changes/adds crunch and edits the fluff.
Sometime later (often months) the article is published online.
The compiled issue is published with a further edited version of the article.

So it's entirely possible the author included more crunch and it didn't get past the WotC editors.  If the author really only wrote up one feat, he should be ashamed. :P
I think they just posted this article five days too late. I mean, as an April Fools joke it's wonderfully subtle and poignant. The one race that's received the least feat support finally gets a Winning Races article and it contains only one feat. Brilliant.

The confusion between Becomers and Passers is fascinating. WOTC is allowed to just change their terminology, but I've got to imagine this is an oversight—one that won't survive compilation.

Kudos to the community for catching it. 
Backgrounds don't count. Sorry. "Generic Background: You have a story.  Associated Skills; any two." already covered most of the design space.

Well put. Backgrounds are in a pretty big design rut.
I agree that this article is very disappointing, but I disagree that racial feats are necessary. I play a Genasi warlord, and I doubt he will train in a single racial feat. He can only have 18 feats, and there are too many other kinds of feats in which to train for him to worry about racial feats.

Now I realize that some races like Eladrin and Dwarves have very powerful feat combinations, but even then certain classes do not need to use those feats.

Its not that they are necessarry, Its just that it makes the class feel empty when you don't have at least a couple of feats under "racial feats" to choose from.

Like Shifters not having a single racial trait. Not even a Shapechanger keyword trait, or an immunity to one of the werecreature diseases. You know.. It doesn't have to be a big OMG game changing trait or feat, but something feels better than nothing.

I don't know, I played a Genasi Fighter, and I took a ton of racial feats and almost took a racial PP.  That character would have been much less interesting if it had no race support.  Nothing is really "necessary" in D&D, but we're not paying our DDI subscription to get "necessary" articles, we're paying to get articles that make our game more interesting.  And we want Changeling support!  I played a Changeling Assassin and took the Changeling PP; I probably would have taken some Changeling feats if there were any that didn't suck.

I look at as "more options are better than fewer options" and feats are an important part of how a character becomes more "rounded."  It sounds like you used other ways to round your character, which is fine, but some of us here would like more ways to round their characters from a race perspective rather than a class or general perspective.
I'm a bit late to this discussion (I've only just read the article) but I also want to express my frustration and disapointment.

Firstly, let me say that the article is well written and contains some nice ideas and a fantastic new option for player who are creating a new changeling character (and one that is not eberon-centric).
My gripe come from a very selfish place: I am already playing a changeling (with there own complex, well defined back-story), and this article offers nothing for me. I guess I was looking forward to a feat or two ... or even better a useable paragon path (it's getting close to that time for my beloved changeling bard).

It has been a long time between drinks for changelings, they have recieved very little support since the eberon guide.  My fear is that with this article to point at, Wizards might not provide any more support to changelings for 6 months or more: "we gave you a winning races article in march, stop complaining"

So yes, I'm disapointed and not holding out hope that the plight of changelings will improve.
I submitted yet another proposal for a Winning Races: Changeling article, and if anyone else has ideas for the Changeling, I suggest you send in a propsal too!  Hopefully they'll select one of ours.
Sign In to post comments