April 2010 Comic: Enter the Eldrazi

44 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of the comic Enter the Eldrazi, which will be published on three successive Thursdays on magicthegathering.com.

Whoa!  This could be huge, can't wait.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Okay, awesome comic.  I especially like the elf girl in Sea Gate, since she's not dressed exclusively in green like pretty much the entire Elven race.

(Also, "one to depart"?  Am I the only one who hopes that means Jace and Sarkhan are going to die?  I'll be very sad if we lose Chandra since I really like her; I'm not one of those who finds it fashionable to hate Jace, but he is overrated IMO and I wouldn't miss him much, and Sarkhan is so thoroughly broken as a result of his decision to kiss Bolas's tail that killing him off would be a favor - no red mage would ever want to end up a slave!)
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
"em and ula"?
did she mean emrakul and ulamog?
but then y would she worship the eldrazi?
Did I miss the part where Chandra, Sarkhan & Jace actually faught? And Chandra left? Cause they talk about it, but I didn't see it in the last comic ...
"em and ula"?
did she mean emrakul and ulamog?
but then y would she worship the eldrazi?

She ment "Em" and "Ula" the Merfolk gods of sky and sea (amusingly, despite possessing legs, they don't appear to have a god of land; Cosi is a trickster and chaos deity who, even on Zendikar, would be a stretch to claim represented the earth).  Who as it turns out are actually Emrakul and Ulamog the Eldrazi, but presumably she hasn't figured that out yet.
Finally a comic that deserves the moniker. Yeah, call me old school...
I'm assuming the girl was a Merfolk, not an Elf.

I have a theory on "three enter, one leaves".  I don't think it refers to the planeswalkers at all.  Spoilered since it contains some stuff that is not officially announced yet.

Show

I suspect that three Eldrazi were lured to Zendikar, but either they will combine before leaving, or something else will off them.

It would be a neat tie in if the "one" left was Yawgmoth, considering:
 - he's not really dead (this was in the Scourge novel, I think)
 - if you were him, consuming the Eldrazi would be a pretty good way to regain some serious power
 - the next block is a return to Mirrodin and maybe even Phyrexia
Now we are talking! Interesting story, really good and clear art. I love to read a comic and understand what is going on. Really good, I'm looking forward to the second one.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Did I miss the part where Chandra, Sarkhan & Jace actually faught? And Chandra left? Cause they talk about it, but I didn't see it in the last comic ...

QFT..
Are the first pages missing somehow?
An improvement on previous comics, but the dialogue still needs some work. Everything is explained in a cold matter-of-fact way - there's nothing exciting about what the characters are talking about. If it was live action I'd say they the acting was very wooden.

QFT..

Just read the comic before this one, called "Awakenings". Link is here. It's all there if you can manage to understand something with that art style they decide to use in the battle scene.
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!

QFT..

Just read the comic before this one, called "Awakenings". Link is here. It's all there if you can manage to understand something with that art style they decide to use in the battle scene.

Part 1 of Awakenings was not bad at all, but today's Part 2 is easily the best of these comics since the Jenna Helland one about Elspeth.  The last time we had an entire comic about Sarkhan raving alone in the dark, it was just random nonsense; this time he's actually doing things, and very interesting things, with plenty of mystery left without leaving the reader too confused to bother trying to solve any riddles.  There's actual color, there's action, there's moral conflict between two sides of a single person - I love it.

The text is back to being terrible. The first part was a stream of irrelevant brain farts, and the dialogue after that was dull. Its like the characters have little emotion, and even when they're supposed to show it it comes across as cold and logical. Is the writer of this thing autistic?

The art in Part 2 is spectacular.  Nice use of colored light, VERY nice use of overlayed panels, "time exposure", and smooth orientation transitions between panels to allow a more expansive view of the surrounding environment.

The text is back to being terrible. The first part was a stream of irrelevant brain farts, and the dialogue after that was dull. Its like the characters have little emotion, and even when they're supposed to show it it comes across as cold and logical. Is the writer of this thing autistic?

The writer of this thing is Brady Donnermuth; make of that what you will.  Personally, I see what you mean, but it doesn't bother me; I'd rather have no emotion than a hackneyed exagerration of it, which is what most writers who attempt to force displays of it end up producing.  Better to focus on interesting ideas, which this definitely had.
Another really good comic. Keep it up!
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
"Three to enter, one to depart" could refer to one dying. There are a lot of things that could be made of that phrase.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Nice art this week. Overall better than many previous ones.
our new, happy life
I knew this was Nicol Bolas toying all along. He's still after being an immortal planeswalker again. He probably figures he's big enough to take on the big 3 each on his own... with some minion's help (it's earth day: recycle, reuse, reanimate!) for sure. Just like Alara he's after the powerful sources of mana hidden by other planeswalkers he's outlived by eons.

The next set is going back to Mirrodin.. another planeswalker's hobby left to fend for itself... wonder what Nicol is planning!
Part 3 is interesting. Bolas beats Tezz, why? IS Tezz really beatten or is he receiving some kind of dark gift we can't see? By the way, I'm tired of Bolas being, once again, responsible for the doom  of a plane. I'm fine with him appearing every now and then, bu two blocks in a row is a bit too much for me, I think.
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
Part 3 is interesting. Bolas beats Tezz, why? IS Tezz really beatten or is he receiving some kind of dark gift we can't see? By the way, I'm tired of Bolas being, once again, responsible for the doom  of a plane. I'm fine with him appearing every now and then, bu two blocks in a row is a bit too much for me, I think.

Bolas is reviving/rebuilding him. In AoA Jace basically destroys Tezz. Bolas finds him almost dead, (Think Emporer Palpatine when he finds Anakin burnt to a crisp at the end of Episode 3). And then Bolas makes him his pawn. You see this towards the end of AoA. Tez, Sarkhan, and Bolas are mean mean trio. If they were to add Sorin to the band...

I like Bolas, at least he is more fun than the average villian, and more intelligent at that. I think its great what they are doing with him. If he wasn't pulling the strings at such a grand scale, no one would think very highly of him. But with his constant meddeling and manipulation, and the scale at which he does so, you get a since of just how ancient and powerful he is. I approve.
98% of people use statistics in their sigs, or have used them in the past. If you are one of the 2% that haven't or don't, place this into your signature. New Magic Forums, Im'a let you finish, but the old Magic Forums were one of the greatest boards of all time!

For God's sake, not Bolas again. This is really stupid. I think Bolas must go, or at least not be a main almighty villain. He sucks! Whenever you think that storyline finally gives the multiverse a new and awesome threat (Eldrazi), it finally is opened that this is Bolas's doing. Disappointed. Eldrazi should've stayed as main threat, not some idiotic unfun dragon guy pulling the strings.
Let Bolas go already.

For God's sake, not Bolas again. This is really stupid. I think Bolas must go, or at least not be a main almighty villain. He sucks! Whenever you think that storyline finally gives the multiverse a new and awesome threat (Eldrazi), it finally is opened that this is Bolas's doing. Disappointed. Eldrazi should've stayed as main threat, not some idiotic unfun dragon guy pulling the strings.
Let Bolas go already.

Bolas is still playing the odds. I mean, there's still no gurantee that the Eldrazi can transverse to his meditation realm.

Ulamog: I feel like having for lunch today.

Kozilek: Great Idea. Where's Emrakul?

Bolas: AHHHHHHHHH!!!! Why isn't magic working???

Emrakul: Bolas Magic Oh Nom Nom.

Bolas is still playing the odds. I mean, there's still no gurantee that the Eldrazi can transverse to his meditation realm.

I loled. ;p

@thread: very nice comic, thumbs up ^^
Aahahahha! Nice one

I wish that really happened in the end.

I loled. ;p

@thread: very nice comic, thumbs up ^^

agreed, i as well, and i could see his plane exploding all over the place, and then you find out bolas is yawgy's slave lol
w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]

I really like the portrayal of the Eldrazi as three carefree gourmands who are the best of friends.

Bolas is reviving/rebuilding him. In AoA Jace basically destroys Tezz. Bolas finds him almost dead, (Think Emporer Palpatine when he finds Anakin burnt to a crisp at the end of Episode 3). And then Bolas makes him his pawn. You see this towards the end of AoA. Tez, Sarkhan, and Bolas are mean mean trio. If they were to add Sorin to the band...

I like Bolas, at least he is more fun than the average villian, and more intelligent at that. I think its great what they are doing with him. If he wasn't pulling the strings at such a grand scale, no one would think very highly of him. But with his constant meddeling and manipulation, and the scale at which he does so, you get a since of just how ancient and powerful he is. I approve.

Oh well, thank you for the information, I didn't know that abou Jace vs. Tezz. Thanks again. But regarding Bolas being an almighty villan, I think we already are well aware of this. Bolas has been badass since the very beginning, we don't have to see yet another consecutive plot with him pulling the strings for knowing that.
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:

Well a new planeswalker novel is slated for release with Tezz as its subject. Kinda hard to do that when you're viewed as "armless" XD

But really Bolas is THE bad guy of all bad guys. Although I'd like to see other planeswalkers. What I'm seeing thoughs is that the plot isn't focusing on Bolas. Has anyone wondered why Bolas the dragon master of forethought wanted to release these beings that make even HIS powers seem paltry?
This might just be another plan he's executing in which case the set/plot doesn't need to focus on it. It just needs to aknowlege his role. 

Urza even if just a head might still be kick-er...um...ah...yeah.

I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
What bothers me isn't Bolas, nor his power. What bothers me is that he is a villan who is plotting everywhere, and it seems that no matter how far in the Multiverse we go, Bolas is always there. I'm tired of Bolas as a recurring villan and I'm tired of seeing him everywhere. Really, there is enough material for creating a new villan, and when we finally something cool (Eldrazi), it was because Bolas wanted them free. Really? I'm tired of this dragon already, everyone knows how powerfull he is, we've had enough.
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
What bothers me isn't Bolas, nor his power. What bothers me is that he is a villan who is plotting everywhere, and it seems that no matter how far in the Multiverse we go, Bolas is always there. I'm tired of Bolas as a recurring villan and I'm tired of seeing him everywhere. Really, there is enough material for creating a new villan, and when we finally something cool (Eldrazi), it was because Bolas wanted them free. Really? I'm tired of this dragon already, everyone knows how powerfull he is, we've had enough.

"it seems that no matter how far in the Multiverse we go, Bolas is always there."

Considering how long Bolas has been around it isn't a suprise. Plus again the comics provide background to other stories.

In this case this one shows us what Bolas is doing after Tezz was dropped on him after getting worked by Beleren in Agents of Artifice.

This will no doubt be a build-up to the next planeswalker book.

"Really, there is enough material for creating a new villan"

Agreed however they'd be hard-pressed to beat a Blue/Black/Red Dragonic planeswalker that's been around for a few dozen lifetimes.

I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Considering how long Bolas has been around it isn't a suprise. Plus again the comics provide background to other stories.

In this case this one shows us what Bolas is doing after Tezz was dropped on him after getting worked by Beleren in Agents of Artifice.

And then again, we have Bolas controlling everything. I'm still tired of this.

Agreed however they'd be hard-pressed to beat a Blue/Black/Red Dragonic planeswalker that's been around for a few dozen lifetimes.

Bolas doesn't have to die nor even stop appearing. He could just go to the back scene a bit. He appeared in the Kamigawa Block novel and it was nice, because then he didn't appear in Ravnica. Then, the following block, he appeared again (Time Spiral novel) and I was fine with it, because later in Lorwyn/Shadowmoor he didn't appear. But now, he appeared in Alara, in Zenkidar/Rise and will most likely appear in Scars too. It's 3 consecutive blocks. My problem isn't with the character itself but with him being the central villain for three years in a row!

--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
Well, rumor has circulated that Wizards of the Coast recently obtained copyrights to "New Phyrexia."

Is it possible that Yawgmoth isn't really dead afterall?  As far as Magic villains are concerned, I think he's the only one that could considerably be a match for Bolas, and I agree, I'm sick of the dragon having his hand in everything.  As cool as he is, there's such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Then again, Liliana's veil might wind up giving her some mad power, especially once she dispatches of the rest of the demons who have control over her.  Maybe she'll turn big bad in the near future?

I'm actually kinda hoping for Yawgmoth though, he's been gone for quite awhile.  I just hope he doesn't go back to Dominaria.  The fact that "New Phyrexia" is likely to appear in the upcoming return to Mirrodin block indicates that he'll likely reappear there if he's going to reappear at all.  I guess we'll have our answer soon enough.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

And then again, we have Bolas controlling everything. I'm still tired of this.

Bolas doesn't have to die nor even stop appearing. He could just go to the back scene a bit. He appeared in the Kamigawa Block novel and it was nice, because then he didn't appear in Ravnica. Then, the following block, he appeared again (Time Spiral novel) and I was fine with it, because later in Lorwyn/Shadowmoor he didn't appear. But now, he appeared in Alara, in Zenkidar/Rise and will most likely appear in Scars too. It's 3 consecutive blocks. My problem isn't with the character itself but with him being the central villain for three years in a row!

True but overall it's background. It's the story. 

He IS in the back scene. The Eldrazi are the threat at this point. Sure he let them out but he isn't the threat. The Eldrazi are.

He appeared in the Kamigawa books? I know that Toshiro Umizawa is thought to be the the first Umizawa in the line that took on Bolas on Dominaria but he was actually in the books? Which one?  

Scars will probably focus more on Tezzeret than Bolas. In fact if the rumors are true I can see Tezz looking at Phyrexians for a way to fight back.

As to Yawgmoth reappearing the biggest problem I see is that he isn't a planeswalker although he might use Urza's head for something tricky and Mirrodin did have a touch of Phyrexia in it due to that Oil. 
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

He IS in the back scene. The Eldrazi are the threat at this point. Sure he let them out but he isn't the threat. The Eldrazi are.

Yes, but it's not the unnimportant back scene where he is waiting for a chance to show up. It's the backscene where he has been schemming and developping everything that is happen to the story. Maybe he isn't appearing in the whole story itself, but he is the one who orchestrated it all. This is not the back scene for me.

He appeared in the Kamigawa books? I know that Toshiro Umizawa is thought to be the the first Umizawa in the line that took on Bolas on Dominaria but he was actually in the books? Which one?

Honestly, I don't know. I didn't read the Kamigawa books because I've never had a chance. But in the Time Spiral novel, the spirit of night or something like that appeared and it had things to settle with Bolas. This together with comments from other people I've read that said Bolas was in Kamigawa, well, shows that Bolas was there somewhere. But I honestly don't know in which book it was.

Scars will probably focus more on Tezzeret than Bolas. In fact if the rumors are true I can see Tezz looking at Phyrexians for a way to fight back.

Yes, but it will still focus on Bolas (probably) and this is what is bothering me. Even a battle between Bolas and Yawg would be boring if it came after 3 straight blocks of Bolas as the main villan.

--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
I think the notion of Tezz using Mirrodin/New Phyrexia as a means to get some power back is an excellent idea.  Will we finally see a U/B Planeswalker?  Man I hope so!

As for Yawgmoth, this is true, he's not a Planeswalker, but since Phyrexian oil does technically exist on Mirrodin, I'm willing to bet they find a way to work with that.  That being said, if Yawgmoth doesn't make a return within the next block, I bet it is safe to assume he's gone for good.  If there was ever a time to realy turn up the heat on the storyline and bring him back, I'd wager it's with the coming of "New Phyrexia."

Hey...here's a thought though, what if Yawgmoth were to somehow commandeer Tezz's body for his own use?  Planeswalker power + deadly Yawgmoth intellect = Bolas has met his match.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Yes, but it's not the unnimportant back scene where he is waiting for a chance to show up. It's the backscene where he has been schemming and developping everything that is happen to the story. Maybe he isn't appearing in the whole story itself, but he is the one who orchestrated it all. This is not the back scene for me.

Honestly, I don't know. I didn't read the Kamigawa books because I've never had a chance. But in the Time Spiral novel, the spirit of night or something like that appeared and it had things to settle with Bolas. This together with comments from other people I've read that said Bolas was in Kamigawa, well, shows that Bolas was there somewhere. But I honestly don't know in which book it was.

Yes, but it will still focus on Bolas (probably) and this is what is bothering me. Even a battle between Bolas and Yawg would be boring if it came after 3 straight blocks of Bolas as the main villan.

Well it was implied that the Myojin could planeswalk and in fact had been during the events of the block.

"Even a battle between Bolas and Yawg would be boring if it came after 3 straight blocks of Bolas as the main villan."

Oh I disagree. Bolas is good but the Phyrexians are adaptable. Overall I think Bolas is good but this past block roles to me as a buildup. I doubt he'll be too active in Scars.

I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I think the notion of Tezz using Mirrodin/New Phyrexia as a means to get some power back is an excellent idea.  Will we finally see a U/B Planeswalker?  Man I hope so!

As for Yawgmoth, this is true, he's not a Planeswalker, but since Phyrexian oil does technically exist on Mirrodin, I'm willing to bet they find a way to work with that.  That being said, if Yawgmoth doesn't make a return within the next block, I bet it is safe to assume he's gone for good.  If there was ever a time to realy turn up the heat on the storyline and bring him back, I'd wager it's with the coming of "New Phyrexia."

Hey...here's a thought though, what if Yawgmoth were to somehow commandeer Tezz's body for his own use?  Planeswalker power + deadly Yawgmoth intellect = Bolas has met his match.

Well Tezz's specialty is artifice. Mirrodin AND Phyrexia both focused on that. Plus let's look at what Yawgmoth is. A "death cloud". If he can alter himself that way then liquid wouldn't be too off-base.

Plus Mirrodin's "metalification" was caused by a virus. A virus that converted flesh to metal.

What races do we know of that wanted to convert flesh to metal?

Esperites.
Phyrexians. 

I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Well it was implied that the Myojin could planeswalk and in fact had been during the events of the block.

Really? I didn't know that. Man, this is cool..

Oh I disagree. Bolas is good but the Phyrexians are adaptable. Overall I think Bolas is good but this past block roles to me as a buildup. I doubt he'll be too active in Scars.

I hope he is not. I really hope he doesn't appear in Scars. My sentence had a meanning of "Even something super awesome like Bolas vs. Yawg would be boring after this Bolas overdose". The battle would be really cool, indeed, but not that much in the current situation.
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:

Really? I didn't know that. Man, this is cool..

I hope he is not. I really hope he doesn't appear in Scars. My sentence had a meanning of "Even something super awesome like Bolas vs. Yawg would be boring after this Bolas overdose". The battle would be really cool, indeed, but not that much in the current situation.

Yeah it seems that when That Which Was Taken was taken the bonds holding the Myojin to that plane were weakened and they wanted that to continue.

SPOILER ALERT! At the very end of the last book (Saviors) Toshiro is transported by the Myojin of Night's Reach to Dominaria where he will be the first of Clan Umizawa. A member of this same clan centuries later will battle and win against a king that is later revealed to be Bolas. It's assumed that this occured before his spark ignited because the Umezawa that challenged him was human.

I think that he will have a role in Mirrodin but I think that role would be limited to backstory.  
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Sign In to post comments