Cannith Goggles

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

Are they LFR legal items? They appeared in the playtest artificer section of Dragon 365, but never got an update or released in Eberron Player's Guide. Strange thing is they appear in character builder.

Are they LFR legal items? They appeared in the playtest artificer section of Dragon 365, but never got an update or released in Eberron Player's Guide. Strange thing is they appear in character builder.

They appeared in a player-legal resource and have never been errataed.  I don't see why they wouldn't be LFR-legal.

Obviously, when something gets updated from a Dragon Magazine article to a published book (or one published book to a later-published one), the most recent material controls.  There is, however, nothing saying that if one part of an article gets updated at a later date, that everything in the article which hasn't been updated goes away.
 Thanks for that. I've had someone complain that it shouldn't be an LFR-legal item, but it is very useful for my artificer.

They appeared in a player-legal resource and have never been errataed.  I don't see why they wouldn't be LFR-legal.

Obviously, when something gets updated from a Dragon Magazine article to a published book (or one published book to a later-published one), the most recent material controls.  There is, however, nothing saying that if one part of an article gets updated at a later date, that everything in the article which hasn't been updated goes away.

Actually, Chris Tulach has reportedly said just that: such items, including Cannith Goggles specifically, are not legal in LFR.  Whether that statement is binding upon the campaign is another question, but apparently some people believe it is.

Actually, Chris Tulach has reportedly said just that: such items, including Cannith Goggles specifically, are not legal in LFR.  Whether that statement is binding upon the campaign is another question, but apparently some people believe it is.

Yeah, but 10 months after a hearsay report of a conversation at a con, still nothing in the CCG contraindicating purchase and usage.

If it's in the CB, and first appeared in Dragon, it's legal unless an official rules source (the CCG, or the article in which the it first appeared) states otherwise.
I'm sure Chris Tulach is a great guy, but if his statements at conventions, on twitter, and in forum posts are intended to be taken as an Official Rules Source, then the CCG should say so. This has come up several times in the past year, and it's things like this that cause people to cease taking the CCG seriously and instead just do whatever they feel like.

Yes, by the CCG, Cannith Goggles are still a legal item. No, this is probably not what WOTC intends.
Deja vu, anyone?

-SYB
If it's in the CB, and first appeared in Dragon, it's legal unless an official rules source (the CCG, or the article in which the it first appeared) states otherwise.

Just as a caveat to this - make sure the item/feat/etc. in question was actually published in the compiled issue for that month.

The CB has listed elements that were in the individual articles as having a "Dragon xxx" source even when they did not make the final cut for the issue. (Some of the MP2 style feats come to mind, as an example.)

Just as a caveat to this - make sure the item/feat/etc. in question was actually published in the compiled issue for that month.

The CB has listed elements that were in the individual articles as having a "Dragon xxx" source even when they did not make the final cut for the issue. (Some of the MP2 style feats come to mind, as an example.)

Good point.  Just checked.  Cannith Goggles are on page 15 of the compiled issue.
Deja vu, anyone?

-SYB

Give my topic... LIFE!!

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
I believe the goggles become invalid if strapped onto a warforged, since they are not campaign legal...

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

But I heard Warforged were campaign legal?  That would mean if the goggles were illegal and you strapped them to a legal race... does that cause a reaction like matter and anti-matter?
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Yes. Except the player explodes, not his character.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
Don't touch it!  it's evil! (Kaboom!)

(a cookie who can name the movie with that quote)
Time Bandits!
You will fear my Laser Face!
Time Bandits!