Wednesdays Only

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, we're partway into the season now. My understanding of this system is that it is to encourage new players to join the hobby - a great idea!  I've found that offering this exclusively as Wednesdays only has the pro [players always know when this is available] and a con [the restrictive schedule cuts out communities that can't do Wednesdays - for whatever reason].

Also, by the very nature, a player who misses a week (or starts now) misses out on the beginning/introduction of the adventure, "jumping in" partway through.  To address this issue, I offer the following suggestion to the Encounters Administrators:

(1) Have a "no-restriction" first session.  "Meet the employer."  The first encounter of the first Encounters season works well for this.  However, this encounter could be played anywhere/anytime by anybody as a "hook."  If some magic players come early Friday evening, some folks wander into the store on Saturday looking to try D&D, I have some friends over for a game night and they want to give it a try - - we have one encounter to run them through and show the basics.   At the end of the session, these players are told - - if you want to see more, go to a local store hosting the event and you can play more on Wednesday evenings.

(2) Structure.  For those familiar with LFR, it seems that the adventure BALD1-1 Flames of Initiation is a great model that would work well for Encounters.  The employer sends the adventurers on missions - each one lasting one encounter - then they report back and can get another mission.  This keeps each week's Encounter under the "story umbrella," while not losing continuity for someone who misses a week (or joins late).  Every 2 encounters actually played earns a milestone, every 4 encounters  earns an extended rest.

This model would provide a "flexible" introductory adventure, while maintaining the "community Wednesday" weekly structure of Encounters. Players would all get to play the Introduction, regardless of the actual time they join the campaign.  After that, they can enjoy some "loosely" connected encounters on Wednesdays.

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director

I would recommend posting this in the stickied post "D&D Encounters: The good, thie bad and the ugly".
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Copied there - thanks!  (I'll leave this thread open in case anyone has an insightful feedback/discussion.)

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director

Here's a link to the Wednesdays-only issue in the DCI forum. If you're an organizer and the strict Wednesdays-only causes problems for you, or if you're a player who suddenly can't play any more because the change to Wednesdays conflicts with your schedule (like me), send a comment to WotC CustServ about it and address it to John Grant (read the other threat for more details).

Damon

Sign In to post comments