Dejarik Game Board Map

I know there are ones out there already, but as I was looking at them, I could not find one that looked just like what I wanted and the right size.  So I made my own as an alternative.  I posted two versions and printable slices for each.  I cut one of each color of mine out in the circle fashion and mounted on two sides of a foam-core board.  Wrapped the cut edges with some black cardstock and have a reversible table-top.  I plan to run one-inch grid lines over the images, too as another map option although rather small, but could use regular minis rules.  Feel free to share with anyone else interested or modify as need be for your own purposes.  I have a layered version if you PM me (using PaintShop Pro) if you want to tweak the layers.  Feel free to provide any feedback (good or bad) - I'm happy with the way it came out for not being an artist. Smile

Web link: www.smithohio.com/dejarik/

EDIT: Although a web search will bring up some variations, here is a link for a great explanation of the HoloChess rules set: dhost.info/rissa/Holochess/index.htm

Preview:
dejarik board
I know there are ones out there already, but as I was looking at them, I could not find one that looked just like what I wanted and the right size.  So I made my own as an alternative.  I posted two versions and printable slices for each.  I cut one of each color of mine out in the circle fashion and mounted on two sides of a foam-core board.  Wrapped the cut edges with some black cardstock and have a reversible table-top.  I plan to run one-inch grid lines over the images, too as another map option although rather small, but could use regular minis rules.  Feel free to share with anyone else interested or modify as need be for your own purposes.  I have a layered version if you PM me (using PaintShop Pro) if you want to tweak the layers.  Feel free to provide any feedback (good or bad) - I'm happy with the way it came out for not being an artist.

Preview:
dejarik board

Good stuff!  Thank you for sharing. 
Excellent Squid! Thanks for posting.
Here is a link to the Orphans list I maintain: http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm Life-sized Tile Wars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAXn5ZwopPc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64M5_J1JHs Geoncon08: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srArBLLHYBQ
Thats awesome, I'm making a 12inch board.  The base of the board is an old white 5 gallon bucket lid.  It fits perfect in there and I don't have to worry about it bending at all.  Then I am using a thin foam layer, cardstock grade poster paper black and white to make the squares, finally a fine laminate to go over the top of the board.  I am going to cut the black out in what I hope will be either one or two big pieces, one preferably and set it atop the white and then glue it to the foam and laminate the top so that nothing gets under the black or lifts it.
Best gaming community in the world. My collection is proof. 2009 SWM RAC member 795 Club member Over 75 Good trades, Zero Negatives You can check out my squads at Bloomilk, or share in more conversations at SWMGAMERS "There is always a choice..."
I know there are ones out there already, but as I was looking at them, I could not find one that looked just like what I wanted and the right size.  So I made my own as an alternative.  I posted two versions and printable slices for each.  I cut one of each color of mine out in the circle fashion and mounted on two sides of a foam-core board.  Wrapped the cut edges with some black cardstock and have a reversible table-top.  I plan to run one-inch grid lines over the images, too as another map option although rather small, but could use regular minis rules.  Feel free to share with anyone else interested or modify as need be for your own purposes.  I have a layered version if you PM me (using PaintShop Pro) if you want to tweak the layers.  Feel free to provide any feedback (good or bad) - I'm happy with the way it came out for not being an artist.

Preview:
dejarik board

Nice job with the Board, Squid.  I like it a lot

At first, I wasn't diggin' the large size of the dejarik circle in the middle, but making it larger like that really makes the size difference between the "Outer circle [home]" and the "Inner circle [combat zone]" almost negligable. (On other boards the outer circle has much larger spaces than the inner circle)  And I think you did a very good job with the asthetics, too.  I like the blue and red dots that clearly show the starting positions.
RS 55/60; CS 54/60; RotS 55/60; UH 46/60; CotF 60/60; BH 44/60; A&E 58/60; FU 49/60; LotF 60/60; KotOR 57/60;
CW 40/40; IE 39/40; JA 40/40; GaW 40/40; DT 39/40; MotF 40/40
Nice!
AMS-51 "Dendrite" Connection lost...searching...
Very cool!!! I wonder if I will ever learn how to play the game!!
Final missed opportunity, that Wizards didn't put this on the back of the MotF poster, that would have been epic.
Revamp for the sake of revamp? That always works out well.
Final missed opportunity, that Wizards didn't put this on the back of the MotF poster, that would have been epic.

No kidding, it could even have enough room to print the rules of the game with it.  Of course I've been learnign the rules and working to convert it away from a mass of D6's and more toward a multi die system.  It still needs some playtesting but its coming along.
Best gaming community in the world. My collection is proof. 2009 SWM RAC member 795 Club member Over 75 Good trades, Zero Negatives You can check out my squads at Bloomilk, or share in more conversations at SWMGAMERS "There is always a choice..."
Hmph, I was originally a bit disappointed that WotC used 8 slots for the Dejarik figures, but seeing this thread makes me realize that we get another game out of those 8 figures.

I'm gonna have to learn the rules...
Hmph, I was originally a bit disappointed that WotC used 8 slots for the Dejarik figures, but seeing this thread makes me realize that we get another game out of those 8 figures.

My wife and I have started to learn them it has some potential for a lot of fun, and you can go with the printed D6 instructions or you can tweak it to a D20/mutlidice system as I am trying to do.
Very cool. Thanks for posting!

My wife and I have started to learn them it has some potential for a lot of fun, and you can go with the printed D6 instructions or you can tweak it to a D20/mutlidice system as I am trying to do.

Have you come up with any tweaks yet?

I printed the D6 instructions so I could learn those rules to start. I printed the four individual slices today (thanks for sharing Squid!), so now I'm anxious to try it out with one of my friends.
We have and for us it's pretty simple.  We took the totals from the print report, 31 and 24, and said how can we get all the monsters to be able to get between 24 and 31 and so we took the base stats and found a pattern to allow them all to get to 31 or 32.  And I figured that would be okay to a have a 1 off discrepency becasue 1) it would only cause a push or counter-push instead of a defeat, and 2) double max is required and is unlikely however possible.

You need a d20 and D4, a D6, a D8 and a D10.  The higher stats like the Klorslug has a +7 attack or the Ngoks +8 Defense would roll the D20 and the D4 and add it's base to the result, 

Here is a breakdown for you;

Base attack/Defense + a D20 + a secondary dice

If you base Attack/Defense is 7 or 8 you use a D4 as your secondary dice.
If you base Attack/Defense is 5 or 6 you use a D6 as your secondary dice.
If you base Attack/Defense is 3 or 4 you use a D8 as your secondary dice.
If you base Attack/Defense is 2 you use a D10 as your secondary dice.

This way everyone has a chance at rolling for a 31 or 32.  We have played a half dozen games using htis set and it is the best so far, it has allowed the msot diverse outcomes in those games as well.  We tried a couple other methods and neither worked so well and it was obvious very fast.

oh and to randomize the distribution of the creatures we assigned each a number and both players use a d8 roll simultaneously to determine who goes were.  and we just reroll if the number has been drawn already.  And if there is a tie just reroll.
We have and for us it's pretty simple.  We took the totals from the print report, 31 and 24, and said how can we get all the monsters to be able to get between 24 and 31 and so we took the base stats and found a pattern to allow them all to get to 31 or 32.  And I figured that would be okay to a have a 1 off discrepency becasue 1) it would only cause a push or counter-push instead of a defeat, and 2) double max is required and is unlikely however possible.

You need a d20 and D4, a D6, a D8 and a D10.  The higher stats like the Klorslug has a +7 attack or the Ngoks +8 Defense would roll the D20 and the D4 and add it's base to the result, 

Here is a breakdown for you;

Base attack/Defense + a D20 + a secondary dice

If you base Attack/Defense is 7 or 8 you use a D4 as your secondary dice.
If you base Attack/Defense is 5 or 6 you use a D6 as your secondary dice.
If you base Attack/Defense is 3 or 4 you use a D8 as your secondary dice.
If you base Attack/Defense is 2 you use a D10 as your secondary dice.

This way everyone has a chance at rolling for a 31 or 32.  We have played a half dozen games using htis set and it is the best so far, it has allowed the msot diverse outcomes in those games as well.  We tried a couple other methods and neither worked so well and it was obvious very fast.

oh and to randomize the distribution of the creatures we assigned each a number and both players use a d8 roll simultaneously to determine who goes were.  and we just reroll if the number has been drawn already.  And if there is a tie just reroll.

This is now posted in it's own thread along with all the other dice interactions
I seen Squid's Dejarik map in person over Spring Break and it looked fantastic.  The whole Dejarik thing definitely sparks some interest in the way of a scenario or specicialized SWM Battle.

Smile
Photobucket
what would spiceywiener say?
A little confused with the rules of this game after playing for the first time, if anyone can shed some light for me it'd be much appreciated...

So are there rounds in this game like in Mini's? After each player "activates" their characters, do the players flip a coin again to see who goes first for the next round?

The attack ratings mean how many D6's I get to roll? So a Houjix, for example, would roll four D6's because it's attack rating is 4, and since it's defense rating is also four it rolls four D6's when defending?

You don't activate the characters like in minis each round.  When a player takes a turn, he does two actions (must do two).  Move a piece (any one - even if just moved) the full number of spaces designated.  Or attack an adjacent enemy (any piece can do this - you don't have to activate each piece before activating again).  You can choose to move twice or attack twice if you rather, but two full actions from any two pieces or twice with the same piece.

You roll the number of d6 dice that correspond to the attack or defense number for the piece.  The total number from the dice detemine the push or kill outcome.

For example -
Player 1 has Molator (att 8) move 2 squares {action 1} and becomes adjacent to Ghhk (def 3) and attacks {action 2} and the players roll d6s [random numbers Molator - 1, 1, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6 = 31; Ghhk - 1, 6, 6 = 13] Molator wins by 7 or more total so Ghhk is defeated.

Player 2 now has Ng'ok adjacent to Molator and decides to attack {action 1} [Ng'ok - 1, 3, 5 = 9; Molator - 3, 4 = 7] Ng'ok wins by 6 or less so pushes Molator one square which maybe ends up adjacent to player 2's Monnok. So Monnok attacks {action 2} [Monnok - 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 = 22; Molator - 6, 6 = 12]  Monnok wins by 7 or more and Molator is defeated.  Two pieces already removed from play - it's super quick!

Back to player 1 for two actions (no new rounds or coin flips, just alternate until only one left from each side (showdown in the middle) or one side is wiped out)

DalsianDon has posted an alternative die system instead of this that will even the odds a bit more between the pieces and avoid the lopsided results that are possible.  Either method can be fun - depends on what you want from the game.  I also included a game map with grid lines on the download site that you can use regular minis rules for.  The idea was a battle between just Dejarik pieces (all melee) and follow the movement, AoO rules, etc.  Just for a quick game on a small map possibility.  I prefer using the Dejarik round board and various die systems myself.

Hope that all helps.  Maybe we need to host a FAQ thread somewhere for Holchess rules. lol  It is fun, but a bit confusing to learn.  If I get time, I'll work on more details with diagrams to supplement the online rules.
Awesome! Thanks so much for your reply, Squid. That really helps my understanding of the game. My friend and I were playing incorrectly then.

One other question: a player has to take two actions, so if player 1 moves a Molator 2 squares for action 1 and doesn't have anyone adjacent to it to attack, action 2 can be to move 2 squares again?

I really do think we need an FAQ thread and I was going to start one, but since there's already stuff related to the game here, I just thought I'd keep it consolidated in one thread rather than having a bunch of threads cluttering up the board.

I saw Don's rules and I'm going to try them out eventually, but for now, I wanted to get the original rules down first before moving onwards...

Thanks again!

One other question: a player has to take two actions, so if player 1 moves a Molator 2 squares for action 1 and doesn't have anyone adjacent to it to attack, action 2 can be to move 2 squares again?

Yes.  You could in theory move once and be adjacent, then move again to somewhere else even.  You don't have to attack and there is no AoO to worry about.  You just have to do two actions every time it is your turn.  You could move two different pieces and not attack if it to your advantage.  Sometimes, you end up with a low attack/high defense piece and want to entice the attack so moving without attacking can be a strategic move.

Of course, I could be way off base, too. lol  I've only played a couple full games, but have read through those rules many times and think I've wrapped my head around it well enough.  If someone else knows better, by all means feel free to jump in.
Squid,

Will I see the board on Sunday? How hard is it to make? I think I want to do this.

cheers
Finally got my prototype 3D board finished and wanted to share some of the pics.  The lights do work although they don't look so good in the pics.  I modified the design and construction a bit for game play and based on materials and size.  The base lets it sit about 5-6 inches off the table which is hard to see from above.

Top view of the board:
dejarik board

Combat ready:
beasts

Underneath, the base opens for storing the minis:
storage

Ready for a match!
r2-dejarik
That, Sir, is awesome.
Christopher West, Cartographer Maps of Mastery
THAT IS FRIGGIN" SWEEEEEEET!!!!!!  Can't wait until I build my version now!

CLICK ON THE ICONS TO GET MORE INFORMATION

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Very nice

AMS-51 "Dendrite" Connection lost...searching...
Squid,

Looks awesome.  You should consider taking it to Origins just to show it off Smile 
At last we will have our revenge.
It'll be on display at Origins, I can guarantee it.  Squid was kind enough to give me the prototype board you see in the pics above.  I know he is working on another one as I type this, I can't wait to see it.

I'm not on the boards as much as I used to be, but if I get the chance I will try to post a few more pics from a side angle so you can see the height.

Smile
Photobucket
That is incredable, I made a flat one that has some nice size to it, but that is just awesome, it has storage and lights, just snazzy for sure.
I would like to use the use the picture in a Star Wars RPG game I'm making with RPGmaker, Final Fantasy style.  If that's okay, I'll put you in the credits.  I am just doing this for fun and it won't be sold.
Sign In to post comments