3/31/2010 StF: "The Battle of Fort Keff"

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.
That's kind of awesome.
He's all sorts of awesome. Smile
after reading this i finally figured it out ROE is Magic: The Gathering meets Stephen King's The MistMistMonster-756763.jpg
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
WOW!  Now that's a cool planeswalker! 

It may not be as awesome as some without a jaw-dropping ultimate ability to fire off, but I still love its combination of crazy abilities. 
I am really liking these Planeswalkers that don't have Ultimates.  I wish they had started Planeswalkers like this.
He casts Personal Incarnation! Old school.
"Make people wait for what they want, and you have power over them. This is as true for merchants and militia as it is for cooks and couples." —Gwendlyn Di Corci
I think this is now my favorite Planeswalker. I just hope he doesn't go for crazy amounts of money like some of the others.
Gideon's strength seems to lie in his versatility.

The fact that he can be Doom Bladed, Path'd, or Terminated while he's being a big beefy creature kind of sucks, but the +2 ability seems to play nice with Conqueror's Pledge or some other alpha strike card.

I'm betting that the third card bringing up "Planeswalker" in the Orb of Insight isn't a walker, but somehow interacts with them since both Sarkhan and Gideon are going to have odd loyalty numbers at some point. With Gideon in particular, adding loyalty seems pointless and goes against MaRo's "Magic should reward players for doing the things they like to do" philosophy. More + activations gears Gideon up for more - creature destruction activations, but I'm not sure that's a big enough payoff. 

After all, someone drops Jace, Garruk, Elspeth, or Ajani and you need to take them out NOW. Playing around Gideon seems far easier if you're holding removal, so there has to be an X-factor.

EDIT: Yeah, never mind. "still a planeswalker" 

I'm betting that the third card bringing up "Planeswalker" in the Orb of Insight isn't a walker, but somehow interacts with them since both Sarkhan and Gideon are going to have odd loyalty numbers at some point. With Gideon in particular, adding loyalty seems pointless and goes against MaRo's "Magic should reward players for doing the things they like to do" philosophy. More + activations gears Gideon up for more - creature destruction activations, but I'm not sure that's a big enough payoff.

Sorry, Gideon has two instances of "Planeswalker" on him.  That's all there is.

With Gideon in particular, adding loyalty seems pointless and goes against MaRo's "Magic should reward players for doing the things they like to do" philosophy. More + activations gears Gideon up for more - creature destruction activations, but I'm not sure that's a big enough payoff.

Doesn't the +loyalty make him more likely to survive the coming creature attack? Seemed pretty straightforward to me. 
Doesn't the +loyalty make him more likely to survive the coming creature attack? Seemed pretty straightforward to me. 

Plus, all of the opponent's creatures are tapped now, give or take Vigilance or stuff he played after combat. 
If he dies, who cares?  Simply dogpile for the win.

kind of cool.  free blue spells and black spells on a white planeswalker.  the '0' is kind of weird, but i guess if you ever need another beater, he'll become one.  plus it's a soldier, so any of your soldier-boosting cards will help him out.  and i wouldn't worry too much about removal.  besides, unless he's your only 'creature' in play, it just means that your opponent has that many more reasons to consider holding back any removal spells they have 'just in case they make gideon a creature!'
kind of cool.  free blue spells and black spells on a white planeswalker.  the '0' is kind of weird, but i guess if you ever need another beater, he'll become one.  plus it's a soldier, so any of your soldier-boosting cards will help him out.  and i wouldn't worry too much about removal.  besides, unless he's your only 'creature' in play, it just means that your opponent has that many more reasons to consider holding back any removal spells they have 'just in case they make gideon a creature!'

he's an indestructable 6/6 creature that must be blocked. he can dance with deathtouch creatures all day, because he prevents all damage done to himself. he comes with six loyalty, which means that your opponent won't want to attack for fear of a very agressive assassinate ability, which doesn't matter because you can just make them attack him anyways. He is one of the bst planeswalkers I've seen in a long time.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.

Use his first ability to force your opponent to attack you then play a fog-effect to make him survive combat and attack with all you got which will include a 6/6 soldier. Sounds like a plan to me!

Use his first ability to force your opponent to attack you then play a fog-effect to make him survive combat and attack with all you got which will include a 6/6 soldier. Sounds like a plan to me!

Forget the fog effect.  Most of the time you get to plan your blocks so that you can strategically take apart their worst threats and/or keep him at at least 1 loyalty.  Even if he's at 1, the 0 ability makes him a 6/6.
I enjoyed reading that.

Now THAT'S how you introduce a planeswalker!:-)
Seams like this guy could be a sweet hasty beater in the bant mythic deck.  He gets around wraths and cunning sparkmage/basilisk collars, mythics biggest problems.

Forget the fog effect.  Most of the time you get to plan your blocks so that you can strategically take apart their worst threats and/or keep him at at least 1 loyalty.  Even if he's at 1, the 0 ability makes him a 6/6.

True, at 8 loyalty he can certainly take a hit, especially when you can also block some of the attackers. Then again the fog effect wouldn't hurt either especially when things like the eldrazi might already be taking your number of permanents down a bit (although a fog won't prevent sacrifices to annihilator) so that you might not want to be blocking your opponents creatures.

Seams like this guy could be a sweet hasty beater in the bant mythic deck.  He gets around wraths and cunning sparkmage/basilisk collars, mythics biggest problems.

Are you using something else to give him haste?  Even though he's a planeswalker, he's still affected by summoning sickness.

Edit: Maybe by 'hasty' you just meant 'immune to sorcery speed removal'?

This. Also remember that you'll untap before they do so next turn he can Assassinate anything that attacked him.
Unfortunately, the attackers he'll be taking upside the head are going to be 15/15 and 10/9. I appreciate that he's willing to take those beatings in my stead, but in this block, filled with Defenders and chumps, will one Fog generate enough tempo to get you there? Although swinging with a 6/6 that you only paid for is one of the best deals I've seen so far in the set. I'd play him for just that.

On a flavor note... nice! I enjoyed the story. His mechanical abilities line up well with his role in the narrative. Mythics should always come accompanied by a story like this. Remember the Kamigawa minisite with the short stories? I'd love it if Wizards repeated that every block.

This. Also remember that you'll untap before they do so next turn he can Assassinate anything that attacked him.
Unfortunately, the attackers he'll be taking upside the head are going to be 15/15 and 10/9. I appreciate that he's willing to take those beatings in my stead, but in this block, filled with Defenders and chumps, will one Fog generate enough tempo to get you there? Although swinging with a 6/6 that you only paid for is one of the best deals I've seen so far in the set. I'd play him for just that.

On a flavor note... nice! I enjoyed the story. His mechanical abilities line up well with his role in the narrative. Mythics should always come accompanied by a story like this. Remember the Kamigawa minisite with the short stories? I'd love it if Wizards repeated that every block.

You make a valid point I should have considered defender before Embarassed. I was thinking fog since I would like to go green/white with this guy, big creatures seem like a nice thing to have next to him, and green is usually best at getting big creatures and the mana to cast them. Considering defender, trample seems like a nice solution for that, hmm... overrun ??
Ok enough of that Timmy side of me already,...
On the flavor note, I have to agree with you, I read Purifying fire and was wondering what Gideon would be like as a card and I have to say they captured his flavor perfectly.

Gideon Jura is warrior!

I rather enjoyed this story.

The card is very cool too. It's Vengeance he casts, though, not Death Stroke/Assassinate. Get your colour flavours right :P
As one of my friends pointed out, "I like how they made it avoid the possible horrible rules confusion, but unpreventable damage will still cause confusion though". If anyone casts Unstable Footing when Gideon's a planeswalker, he'll both lose loyalty counters and accumulate towards lethal damage.

I like the first ability most for flavour though. He's the classic fighter tank, and he casts Taunt to make the bad guys attack him rather than your squishy wizard self (or the Jace on 1 loyalty beside him).
This is Tafre speaking: "I've explored much of this plane..."  So is Tafre a planeswalker, or was this an error in the story?

He should ahve turned into a 6/6 Human Soldier with planeswalk, just for the flavour reasons
Play him out. 
Next turn Wrath, attack for 6.

He'll be very playable.  Oh, he also buys you a turn if you are behind.  Possibly 2 turns, depending on the situation.  He's a big time control Planeswalker.
This is Tafre speaking: "I've explored much of this plane..."  So is Tafre a planeswalker, or was this an error in the story?

I interpreted it as if a normal human had said, "I've explored much of this world..."

Whether or not he even knows of other worlds beyond our own, it still fits gramatically.
Gideon is a great card. I expect him to be worth quite a lot in the long term; right now, he's hard to evaluate properly, and none of its effects are really spectacular, so I expect his monetary value to start relatively low and go up. Buy him early !

I was pretty sure they'd print a planeswalker with the ability to become a creature sooner or later, but I really expected it to be Sarkhan, which is supposed to be able to turn into a dragon, so I'm a little disapointed. Instead, Sarkhan the Mad turns others (creatures) into dragons (or he calls dragons and feeds them with what you sacrifice, depending how you see it). 
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
So it's back to Ravnica eventaully.

Sweet, multicolor goodness. Yum.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Why, in the story, was he so scared by Emrakul? Gideon can just -2 and kill it...
Why, in the story, was he so scared by Emrakul? Gideon can just -2 and kill it...

If he survives emrakuls extra turn that is, since he won't be able to use his -2 then.
By the way, why is emrakul not in the visual spoiler yet when he was previewed in arcana tuesday??
www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...
Really nice story. back to Ravnica after Mirrodin?
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Very nice story, nice little bits like this are my favorite way to learn about new sets.
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

Kamigawa first plz.

Kamigawa first plz.

Kamigawa with better cards in general, that is. And more options for Splice too.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Kamigawa 2: The Greater Suck Surprised.

But Ravnica: Yes, please!

And think about Gideon this way: a 6/6 creature that doesn't die to sorcery-speed removal or burn when attacking. And blows up other creatures. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Provided that Emrakul doesn't take the initiative and kill him first, that is. If Emrakul already attacked, you can call Gideon to your help to kill it from behind, but chances are annihilator 6 will have ravaged too much of your mana for you to summon him.

In all Vorthosy seriousness, in the story, Gideon is afraid because Emrakul is the single most powerful being in the known multiverse, at least since the Mending made planeswalkers mortal. You won't see him trying to face it alone in the novel, even if his card, in some circumstances, can.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
I like him, very flavorful. It's always refreshing to see a design that leans a little more toward "interesting" than "powerful".
He will likely return from Ravnica before the end of RoE and it's not the first time Ravnica was mentioned in lore since the block was released.

Gideon looks like a very obvious "play me in a deck with Wrath of God" card. Control decks always want creatures which can be on the board but survive a WoG, aka man lands. Now they have a planeswalker that continues to allow them to control the board and beat at their opponent.

Personally I would like Gideon if I didn't hate WoG and control so much, since that is pretty much where you will see him turning up. He is obviously powerful at first glance and people hoping he will be one of the first cheaper planeswalkers will be sorely dissapointed. The simple fact that they have three+ abilities to choose from that are mimics of playable cards means planeswalkers will always be good, even the bad/niche ones, and the fact that they will always be mythic means they will always be very expensive.

It would be good to see a return to Kamigawa... without the hoard of bad cards. I still can't believe they printed a tribe as terrible as the snakes.

I wonder how long they are going to recycle the same planeswalkers over and over... Will they end up printing more than three variations of Chandra? As much as I like the idea of a core cast jumping from set to set I think it would get old real quick to see another Chandra card. Will Gideon replace Ajani as the new white planeswalker or will they start introducing one off planeswalkers like Nissa, Sorin, Gideon etc and keep the other 5 as the core walkers.

Kamigawa it's pretty easy to see how they could revisit and have it be interesting and better than last time. Independent of Kamigawa, even, Splice is one of the mechanics with the most potential and the least used.

Ravnica... it's a bit harder to see (a) what they could do new there, and (b) how on earth they could top last time. (Ravblock is still the most popular block by a landslide, as I understand.)