The mind changer

A couple weeks ago I saw the set list for the final set.  I wasn't impressed and not really that interested and I couldn't tell you why. Maybe it was because its the last set or maybe so many unresolved issues left in the game for me.  Part of it I know was the rehashes and PT stuff.

Yesterday I got to see the set poster up close.  I have to say at this point I'm can't wait for the release.  The aliens are the reason for the most part.  But there are several uniques that at a second glance I just want that are first timers to the mini series.

So yes I will go my silly way of buying up the minis. 

Sad that this will be my last purchase of a  product made by WotC.

With that said my little and maybe last rant

Why the young Anakin in Ghost form? For me this was the stupidest thing that Lucas ever done and started the downhill slide of my interest in Star Wars that dates before A New Hope.  The original old Anakin was the best in ghost form.  I won't even watch ROTJ in Lucas's updated form again.
Every move in this game is a mistake, the hope is that your opponent makes a bigger mistake when he makes his move.
I'm with you, but I'll wager Lucas wouldn't approve it any other way. Frown

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

Why the young Anakin in Ghost form? For me this was the stupidest thing that Lucas ever done and started the downhill slide of my interest in Star Wars that dates before A New Hope.  The original old Anakin was the best in ghost form.  I won't even watch ROTJ in Lucas's updated form again.

First, let me start by saying that I too am a purist and feel the same way. I wish they would have left the movie alone in this regards, that is always what I will remember and see anyway. But... I also see the logic behind it. And really, it does make a lot more sense then old-guy Anakin we happened to grow up on.

See, when the first movies came out, of course that is the image we would easily be able to recognize as Anakin, its the person behind the mask of Vader-redeemed. We didnt know who Anakin was really, we were only familiar with the ultimate evil he became. With the three movie additions though, we were now able to see that it is a tale of two totally different people - A Jedi named Anakin and the relentless sith named Vader. One body they may have shared, but two different people they were. And the redemption was not Vader changing his ways, but rather Anakin doing everything possible to come forth again.

It therefore makes since that a spirit would appear in Anakin form, not the old man that lived behind the Vader mask. And if the movies had initially come out in their proper order, the way they are now would seem the natural way to make them. Its Anakin who will live forever, and the last time Anakin was really in control he looked like the image in the new Spirit. By appearing in that form it is erasing the Vader persona of the character, which the spirit would not encompass at all.

So because they released the movies in backwards order (and so many years between), I too have mixed emotions being asked to dismiss what I grew up on. But if I remove the personal attachment and look at it from the more logical viewpoint, this really is the way it should be.

Okay, in general, I totally agree with you.

But, STUPIDEST? Dude, really? There's a lot of stupid in the Spec. Ed. and in the DVD changes. And out of all that you're going to say that THIS is the stupidest? The Honeycomb monster singing in Jabba's palace doesn't beat this out?

I'm not saying you're wrong. You're entitled to your point of view and opinion and you can go ahead and express it. And if you think this is the cherry atop the steaming pile, then I'm not going to try to argue you out of it. But I can't actually say what is THE stupidest thing. To me, it's a several way tie between Greedo/Boba Fett: Mack Daddy/visable Wampa/etc. etc. ad nauseum.

But, STUPIDEST? Dude, really? There's a lot of stupid in the Spec. Ed. and in the DVD changes. And out of all that you're going to say that THIS is the stupidest? The Honeycomb monster singing in Jabba's palace doesn't beat this out?

I'm not saying you're wrong. You're entitled to your point of view and opinion and you can go ahead and express it. And if you think this is the cherry atop the steaming pile, then I'm not going to try to argue you out of it. But I can't actually say what is THE stupidest thing. To me, it's a several way tie between Greedo/Boba Fett: Mack Daddy/visable Wampa/etc. etc. ad nauseum.

I also think it was the stupidest

Only, maybe, because it was the most obvious change from the movie that I have always (and probably will always) considered my favorite movie of all time.
Boba's voice (meh, he had like 4 lines) change in musical scene at palace (meh, minor characters, and the old one was never great) CG changes (oh well, GL likes technology, i get it) were all 2nd to the discontinuity of Yoda-spirit, old as hell, Obi-spirit, old as hell, Ani-spirit, young again because George Lucas can't leave well enough alone...
I don't say that those other changes didn't annoy me a bit (because I was angry as heck that the guy who voiced boba got cut out of his lines entirely) but the Anakin force spirit was just the one that made me the most angry.

And you can't argue me out of it.

Well, maybe you can, but in this thread I will continue to stand by my opinion even if you have convinced me otherwise!  Can't be thought of as wishy-washy after all. ;)
RS 55/60; CS 54/60; RotS 55/60; UH 46/60; CotF 60/60; BH 44/60; A&E 58/60; FU 49/60; LotF 60/60; KotOR 57/60;
CW 40/40; IE 39/40; JA 40/40; GaW 40/40; DT 39/40; MotF 40/40

And you can't argue me out of it.

Well, maybe you can, but in this thread I will continue to stand by my opinion even if you have convinced me otherwise!  Can't be thought of as wishy-washy after all. ;)

That's fine, man. I could go on for hours/pages literally and come up with (from my point of view) very sound arguments for why it's STUPID but not THE STUPIDEST. And it might be a heck of a lot of fun. If you're interested, check out WHAT YOU DISLIKE ABOUT STAR WARS in the Tosche Station. I was about halfway through all my thoughts on SW when I just kinda got bored and gave up after installment 5 or something. You may enjoy it.

But with the boards shutting down, I figure "Why bother typing something when it's just going to be deleted.

Jaded, I guess.

Oh, dang, I just typed a bunch of stuff.

But with the boards shutting down, I figure "Why bother typing something when it's just going to be deleted.

Do we know that they are going to be shut down?

The thing that seems weird about the Anakin change is that the other force spirits appear as they did (age-wise) when they died.  The "new" Anakin seems younger than when he actually died.  

IMAGE(http://home.comcast.net/~jps201/mst3k_files/ms_seats.gif) "An opinion is not a right to be express whenever it is false/incorrect/a lie." -LOL

The thing that seems weird about the Anakin change is that the other force spirits appear as they did (age-wise) when they died.  The "new" Anakin seems younger than when he actually died.  

But thats the thing - Anakin looks just like he did when "Anakin" died, just not when "Vader" died.

Its kind of like the people who see real life spirits of people that passed. They never say they saw their loved one with arms missing and skin burnt off like they looked when their car went off the side of the road or whatever.

And really, the first version with old-Anakin was completely wrong anyway when you think of it like that - he wouldnt have had legs or arms, his head would have been blistered and who knows how many holes there would be in his body because of parts removed and replaced with machine. The Old-man Anakin in the first movie never appeared anywhere, it never existed in any way. Its the out-of-place interpretation when you really think about it.

But thats the thing - Anakin looks just like he did when "Anakin" died, just not when "Vader" died.

Its kind of like the people who see real life spirits of people that passed. They never say they saw their loved one with arms missing and skin burnt off like they looked when their car went off the side of the road or whatever.

And really, the first version with old-Anakin was completely wrong anyway when you think of it like that - he wouldnt have had legs or arms, his head would have been blistered and who knows how many holes there would be in his body because of parts removed and replaced with machine. The Old-man Anakin in the first movie never appeared anywhere, it never existed in any way. Its the out-of-place interpretation when you really think about it.

I can buy that explanation/interpretation.  That is a great way to justify Young Anakin in RotJ. 
But wasn't Vader redeemed when he saved Luke? Didn't he "turn back", as Luke said?

As to why he didn't have arms; I'm gonna go with The Matrix as an answer: Residual Self-Image. That's Anakin as he sees himself; how he would have been at that age at the moment he was most connected to the Force. Yes, Anakin died when Vader was born, but now Anakin is past Vader. That's just the way I've always interpreted it; even before The Matrix. 
Although in principle I have no problem with the idea that Anakin goes back to his "light side" self after he is redeemed, what I don't understand is how he gets the connection. Yoda and OWK are  both told how to reconnect with the force whilst alive by Qui-Gonn Jinn, so they can survive death. So we have to believe Anakin somehow comes to know this?

This is one of the sub-plots if you like (Anakin always wanted to know how to prevent death, OWK and Yoda learn  to survive death as a force spirit.)
Although in principle I have no problem with the idea that Anakin goes back to his "light side" self after he is redeemed, what I don't understand is how he gets the connection. Yoda and OWK are  both told how to reconnect with the force whilst alive by Qui-Gonn Jinn, so they can survive death. So we have to believe Anakin somehow comes to know this?

This is one of the sub-plots if you like (Anakin always wanted to know how to prevent death, OWK and Yoda learn  to survive death as a force spirit.)

Maybe Yoda and Obi-Wan "find" Anakin in the force after he dies and tell him?  And didn't Qui-Gonn figure it out himself?

Just some thoughts. 
IMAGE(http://home.comcast.net/~jps201/mst3k_files/ms_seats.gif) "An opinion is not a right to be express whenever it is false/incorrect/a lie." -LOL

Maybe Yoda and Obi-Wan "find" Anakin in the force after he dies and tell him?  And didn't Qui-Gonn figure it out himself?

Just some thoughts. 

Ugh. I'm jaded about the whole "Whils" thing. (Big surprise, huh?) It really seems to me that Lucas did with Obi-Wan in the first film and then Yoda in the last film without any forethought. We all kinda got the idea that ALL Jedi could be Force Ghosts because all the Jedi that we saw in the first films did it. But then it was one of those Bad-Lucas-Retcon things where he basically tells us that it was just chance that those Jedi (the only ones we saw) were part of this "Whils Facebook Group" and had this secret knowledge. Bollux.

I have the majority of a book finished. It's part of a children's book series that may never end up getting published. But I've written the last chapter of the last book and the epilogue already. I've already gone through, in my head, and with a select few friends, the basic story and some of the basic ideas of how this "universe" works. I've got some solid rules for how things work and I have a few nice catch-alls for the inevitable questions. I've actually written the catch-all answers into the story.

In college I majored in Education and minored in Psychology. I have very little training in writing and storytelling, but even I knew to have all these things thought out in advance. And I'll do my best never to horribly retcon anything. But maybe that's because most of my influence, despite being an insane SW fan, comes from Tolkien and not Lucas. Talk about OVER planning one's universe! My study of Tolkien pretty much indicates that after the Hobbit, when he started writing LotR, he had EVERYTHING planned out and answers for everything for THOUSANDS of years of storytelling. Lucas could have taken a page from the man. He didn't have to take it as far as creating 3 entire languages before writing a series, but a little bit of planning wouldn't have hurt.