Renown Maths

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've read a number of posts about people concerned about earning renown and catching all the prizes, so I thought I might post some information that would hopefully reduce conflict.

First the rules:

1. There are three rewards potentially earned by obtaining 10, 30 and 50 Renown points.

2. The reward for obtaining 10 Renown points is earned after that session.  The rewards for obtaining 30 and 50 Renown points are earned at the end of the season.

3. If there are more players that qualify for a reward than cards available, the organizer will determine how they will be distributed.

Players earn 3 Renown points for completing each encounter and 2 Renown points each time they hit a milestone.  There are other awards that can only be gained once per season.

There are 12 encounters in a season.

Now some Maths:

1. If a Player completes each of the 12 encounters, they earn 36 Renown points. 

2. If a Player hits all 6 milestones, they earn 12 Renown points.

3. If a Character survives 8+ sessions, the Player earn 2 Renown points.

4. If a Player completes all quests, they earn 5 Renown points.

Just by showing up and surviving, the Player earns 55 Renown points.

If a Character dies, the Player may miss out on some milestones, but they can use the Character Builder and Player's Handbook 3 to earn 8 more Renown points.

The remaining Accomplishments (Hit for 15+, Kill 3 minions, etc.) result in, at most, 6 Renown points for the entire season.

The moral: Just show up and you will likely earn all possible rewards.

Hopefully, this maths will help everyone to stop squabbling over the little stuff, and enjoy the game.
The moral: Just show up and you will likely earn all possible rewards.

Wrong, because:

3. If there are more players that qualify for a reward than cards available, the organizer will determine how they will be distributed.

delroland,

Those two statements are not contradictory.

If you show up and play, you will likely receive 50 Renown points.

If you receive 50 Renown points, you earn, qualify for, all possible rewards.

It is not possible to receive a reward card that does not exist.

Whether you receive any given reward card is dependent upon the number of cards available to be distributed.

If you have received 50 Renown points, you have still earned, qualify for, all possible rewards regardless of whether you receive any given reward card.

If it is an issue, "The organizer will determine how they will be distributed."

Unless you know the organizer intends to determine based upon total Renown points, it does not matter how many Renown points you have more than 50.  All players with 50 or more Renown points are equally likely to receive any given reward card.

As an organizer, I know, if I am required to determine how the distribution of cards will be determined, it will not be based upon total Renown points.  I will follow, player/peer recommendations, recognition of volunteer contributions or dice roll.

The amusing part, to me, about all this quarreling on Renown Points is that of the 3 cards available this season I expect to always chose the 1st card, Delvers Reward, earned at 10 Renown Points -- which is easily attainable the first session and usable the second -- unlike the other 2 cards which are not only awarded at the end of the season but there is a chance you would not win it anyway due to competition.

Thank you, seanwalsh, for documenting the Renown Point system. It is amazing how petty and argumentative some people are becoming over the rules earning a single point.
Thank you, seanwalsh, for documenting the Renown Point system. It is amazing how petty and argumentative some people are becoming over the rules earning a single point.

I agree that the sweet spot really is the 10 point card, but then again if you give some people the focus to be competitive they will be. There is also, a perhaps intended, addictive behavior, I find, with achievement systems where players will be driven to acquire the achievement. I know in XBox games I try and get all the achievements I can (though package collection achievements are right out).
I believe that Wizard's put the Renown Point system in to make it more like a Magic: the Gathering tournament with the hopes it would attact cross-over players. A mistake, imo, because it changed a cooperative game into a competitive one -- especially when the purpose of the D&D Encounters program is attact new players who do not know any better.

EDIT: Doh, forgot a "not" which kinda reverses the meaning of what I meant to say.  Embarassed
My guess is that they put the rewards in there to have a sense of reward for the new player who may not yet fully grasp the idea that the journey is the reward. The hope is that with the little tease of the renown cards at the end, people will pick up an enjoyment of the game and continue after the season has ended.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
It wouldn't be as competitive if they had simply included enough cards for everyone.
My guess is that they put the rewards in there to have a sense of reward for the new player who may not yet fully grasp the idea that the journey is the reward. The hope is that with the little tease of the renown cards at the end, people will pick up an enjoyment of the game and continue after the season has ended.

This is a great goal. Unfortunately, new players are also the least likely to metagame the system well enough to earn the awards before the veterans do.

I felt pretty bad for the brand new player that took until week 3 to earn his 10 points because he just showed up and played with a pre-gen. I wish WotC would grant permission for us to distribute photocopies of the cards if we run out.
Sign In to post comments