What'd I miss? - Hopefully spoilers

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I joined Encounters in session 2. Actually, my entire party joined during session 2. Our GM gave us a synopsis of what happened "last time", but we didn't get any of the flavor. Apparently, this "Frayne" is an important character? Heck, even session 2 was just a cut 'n dry battle. Nobody really knew why we were there, or why we were being attacked. Is there anyplace where I could read a thorough description of "past events"? Or at least a version that was "supposed to happen"?

Also ... my session 2 involved two giant beetles (with the second coming in mid-fight) instead of a scorpion. There were 2 handlers AND a doppleganger. Are these legal changes? What was the fight supposed to be? What were legal optoins beyond adding or removing 4 minions? Has my party already missed a magic item or anything else good or important?

Oh, and I heard that the Warlord's Commander's Strike doesn't count for the Warlord getting the 15+ damage reward. Where is the official ruling on that? I think that's bogus. Then again, it's a HORRIBLY written power anyway.
If you read through the week 1 field reports, you should get a decent idea of what is going on.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
my session 2 involved two giant beetles (with the second coming in mid-fight) instead of a scorpion. There were 2 handlers AND a doppleganger. Are these legal changes? What was the fight supposed to be?

well, the 2 handlers and the doppleganger were supposed to be there, along with 1 scorpion and 4 minions.

What were legal optoins beyond adding or removing 4 minions?

He shouldn't have removed the minions because, in doing, he's robbed someone in your party a chance at getting the "kill 3 minions with 1 attack" achievement 

Has my party already missed a magic item or anything else good or important?

No

Oh, and I heard that the Warlord's Commander's Strike doesn't count for the Warlord getting the 15+ damage reward. Where is the official ruling on that? I think that's bogus.

that is bogus.  sounds like your DM is taking too many liberties.
You guys are concerned about missing an opportunity for 1 Renown Point for the entire season? This is exactly why I eliminated tracking them completely and awarded everyone the Delvers Reward card immediately after the first session they played. One point over the course of the campaign -- which can earn you 48 Renown Points (12*3 + 6*2) just for attending -- is trivial. You can earn 8 Renown Points instantly just for creating a PH3 character using the Character Builder.

If you end the campaign with exactly 29 or 49 Renown Points then, ok, you might be justified with your concerns but please try to maintain a sense of perspective -- especially when you see how valuable (as in, not very) the 30pt and 50pt Reward Cards are relative to the 10pt card.
Um ... my DM didn't remove the minions. I was asking about "what kind of changes can legally be made." The comment about "adding or removing 4 minions" (note, I also said "adding") was an example of changes that I know a DM CAN make to a session. So, to be clear ... there is no "beetle" option? That was just DM fiat because she doesn't like scorpions, or something?

I've read the field reports. They give an unclear picture of actual events. They're mainly about the play experience moreso than the actual adventure. I presume, though, that there is no actual write-up anywhere for people that missed sessions or anything? That would be quite handy, esspecialy for those of us with a good chance of changing DMs week to week.

I heard from another player last wednesday that "Commander's Strike" did not make the Warlord eligable for the 15+ point reward. Is this an official ruling that I can find anywhere? Or perhaps he was quoting his DM or something. (DeathMutandLives, I tend to agree with your feelings about the point system as a whole. However ... we're using them, so I want them, even if it means playing sub-optimally and at the expense of my "team" to get them.)
This just got pointed out to me...

www.wizards.com/dnd/Event.aspx?x=dnd/4ne...
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Sign In to post comments