House Rules

88 posts / 0 new
Last post
What are the most common house rules for 4th edition?

What house rules do you use and WHY?

thanks for the info in advance

A Weapon Implement feat which allows a character to select one weapon they're proficient with and use it as an implement. This is so our Eladrin Sorcerer can use her longsword and so our multiclass Warlord/Wizard can use his spear.

Armor Proficiency feats don't have ability requirements so our Sorcerer can spec up to plate cause it's cool.

You can use your move action to help an adjacent ally to their feet cause it makes sense and encourages the party to think as a team. Do I attack myself or do I get the Barbarian back on his feet so he can use a power next turn instead of just a charge?

A Radiant Weapon enhancement which is basically the Sunblade in any melee weapon form so our Paladin can use a Sunhammer.

And milestones grant 1 Healing Surge in addition to the Action Point so the party can fight for longer in large dungeons.
There is a House Rules & Homebrow forum.  Here on General you're just going to get flamed.

There are two pretty common house rules:

1.  At 5th level, everybody gets Weapon and Implement Expertise in everything for free.

2.  At 11th level, everybody gets Paragon Defenses for free.  At 21st, it automatically upgrades to Robust Defenses.

Reasoning is that the math of the game is usually not where people enjoy it at higher levels (daily miss too often and players get hit on a 2 regularly).  These feats are sometimes known collectively as the "feat tax" because everyone feels compelled to take them.

My play group doesn't like vulnerability cheese and feel it is too damaging for a feat or paragon path feature, so we changed Lasting Frost and Morninglord.  Currently they work as follows:
3. Lasting Frost grants vulnerability 2, not vulnerability 5.  At level 21, the vulnerability increases to 3.

4. The Blazing Radiance path feature of the Morninglord Prestige Path reads as follows: "You gain a +2 bonus on damage rolls with divine powers that deal radiant damage.  Increase this bonus to +3 at 21st level.".  (Thinking about it, this damage bonus should apply to ongoing damage as well.)

Some other semi-common changes, plus some that my group discussed at one time or other:
5. The Daggermaster's path features and powers apply only to powers with the Weapon keyword.  (Stop Weaplement abuse from Sorcerers.)

6. Fey Charge:  Replace the second line with "In addition, you may use your Fey Step one additional time each encounter."  The feat no longer refreshes Fey Step as long as you keep hitting.  (Stop Feycharger stupidity.)

7. Iron Armbands of Power/Bracers of Archery:  These items grant +1/+2/+3 bonus damage instead of +2/+4/+6 damage.  (Items make all other items at each tier pale in comparison.)

Prior to Orb of Imposition being nerfed:
8. Regardless of penalties, a saving throw can never be worse than 17+ (20%).  A roll of 17, 18, 19, or 20 is AN AUTOMATIC SUCCESS.  "Save ends" effects are meant to end.  (Due to save penalty abuses.)

Due to an encounter with four harpies that made for the most universally hated two hour encounter since we switched to 4E:
9. Multiple "save ends" effects of the same type do not stack.  If you are hit with two "Dazed (save ends)" attacks, the second effect does nothing.  You only roll one save, and one successful save ends the dazed condition.  [Option:  Multiple effects may impose a cumulative -1 penalty to the saving throw.]  However, if you are hit with "Dazed (save ends)" and "Dazed and slowed (save ends)" you must still track both effects and save against both effects.

The only rules our games currently run with are 3 & 4.
Few people can see genius in someone who has offended them. -- Robertson Davies
You can use your move action to help an adjacent ally to their feet cause it makes sense and encourages the party to think as a team. Do I attack myself or do I get the Barbarian back on his feet so he can use a power next turn instead of just a charge?

I kind of like that one.  Although it really punishes knock prone effects unless it draws an OA, and the game kind of assumes you're able to pick up something like Acrobat Boots....

I've found that it hasn't had a detrimental effect. The party still expends resources getting back to fighting effectiveness. I don't think it should provoke an OA since standing up doesn't normally, but I can see a situation where if a brute knocks over the sorcerer it could be powerful so it may change in the future.

In any case the party will be level 4 soon and no doubt some of them will pick up Acrobat Boots rendering this rule obsolete.
I like that houserule, helping a friend stand up. Seems reasonable, since you do have to burn an action for it.

It's pretty common to ignore mundane arrow resources. The reason for this is partly since some feel it's unfair to make a Ranger pay to fight at range while Sorcerers, Wizards, and other Arcane classes can fire off ranged attacks all day without spending cash.
The Smithy Knew He'd Lost His Groove When Scalding Sparks Left His Chin Too Smooth Dwarvenshave
My DM allows me to take Ritual Caster without being trained in Arcana or Religion, he requires Nature, which fits since I plan on taking those rituals alone and am a Warden.

Pretty reasonable, I'd say.
The Smithy Knew He'd Lost His Groove When Scalding Sparks Left His Chin Too Smooth Dwarvenshave
it really punishes knock prone effects unless it draws an OA

Why?

Standing up doesn't provoke OAs, so why would someone else spending the Move Action to help you stand make the power weaker?

(I mean, you totally might be right.  I just don't see the logic, so I'm asking.)
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.

7. Iron Armbands of Power/Bracers of Archery:  These items grant +1/+2/+3 bonus damage instead of +2/+4/+6 damage.  (Items make all other items at each tier pale in comparison.)

I haven't actually found that, in practice.  There absolutely are some builds who will never touch a different Arms, but there are also some builds that will never swap off a Horned Helm, and while just about every Melee attacked loves Armbands, there *are* other useful choices for many of them.

Due to an encounter with four harpies that made for the most universally hated two hour encounter since we switched to 4E:
9. Multiple "save ends" effects of the same type do not stack.  If you are hit with two "Dazed (save ends)" attacks, the second effect does nothing.  You only roll one save, and one successful save ends the dazed condition. 

You know that's actually a *core rule*, right?

Multiple copies of the same Save Ends effect are "one save ends all".  No house rule required.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
A DM friend of mine just told me about a great houserule for Dailies.  He got tired of his players saving all their daily attack powers for "The Big Fight" and instituted the rule that after each milestone you could recover one daily of your choice.  The effect allowed his players to use more of their dailies without fear of having nothing to slap the BBEG with at the end.

I cut enemy hit points by "About a quarter". Its a really rough estimate, but it works well. It helps speed up fights, especially because my groups end up being striker light.

I also allow unlimited action points and magic item powers per encounter. I see no reason to limit them, and so I don't.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"

"Your advice is the worst"

1. Magical bows, crossbows, and slings create their own (nonmagical) ammunition when used.
2. The Natural 1 auto-miss and Natural 20 auto-hit rules do not apply.
3. There is no alignment.
3a.  There is no such thing as an 'evil race'.  There may be races where the majority, even the vast majority, of its members are evil, but no sapient creature is inherently evil.
4.  You can only die if reduced to your negative bloodied value in HP.  When reduced to zero or fewer HP, you are unable to act, but still conscious and healing powers work normally.  When you fail 3 death saves, you are out of the battle; you cannot be healed or revived during the battle, but can be revived during the short (or extended) rest thereafter.
5. Drow have the Shadow origin, not Fey.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

3a.  There is no such thing as an 'evil race'.  There may be races where the majority, even the vast majority, of its members are evil, but no sapient creature is inherently evil.

Curious as to how this plays out. Do you mean every creature is Unaligned, or you simply removed Alignment as a game concept?
"At a certain point, one simply has to accept that some folks will see what they want to see..." Dragon 387
This applies only to the games I've ran.

1) Dropped the treasure-parcel system and handed out loot appropriate to the monster, area, etc. A little less here, a little more there, and it all equals out, but with a better sense of logic to it.

2) Dropped the skill challenge system and went back to standard skill checks and ability checks. The DMGII has come a long way to improving SCs, but they still feel like an unneccessary mini-game within the game. Maybe one day they'll get it right, but until then, I find it to be more hassle than it is worth.

3) Paragon Defenses are free at 11th level.

4) Robust Defenses are free at 21st level.

5) Monsters' HPs are reduced by 1/4 to 1/3.

Sheesh....looking at this list, as small as it is, it's more houserules than I used for 2E, 1E, BECMI, or OD&D. Hmm....

Curious as to how this plays out. Do you mean every creature is Unaligned, or you simply removed Alignment as a game concept?

Alignment is removed as a game concept.  It's not on anybody's sheet or stat blocks.
The '3a' is because I have a couple of 'old-school' players who still think that 'it's a goblin/orc/drow, it's evil, we can kill it without provocation' is a valid concept.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I have... 3?
Copy/Pasted From my House Rules document

CHARCTER RACES

Being Small
Small characters follow most of the same rules as Medium ones, with the following exceptions.
  • If you have Cover or Concealment from an attacker, the attacker takes an extra -1 penalty (total -3) on his attack.  If you have Superior Cover or Total Concealment, the attacker takes an extra -2 penalty (total -7) on his attack.

• You do not grant Combat Advantage while squeezing.

[Changes: Small changed to be a (circumstantial) benefit, rather than penalty.]
I wasn't originally dropping the weapon restriction, but eventually I "saw the light" (the Monk helped, I think - some part of its descriptive text somewhere).  I still want small characters to be meaningfully different, though - hence the benefits.  My "rule #4" is likely to be something dealing with the Small keyword on weapons - I want it to have some effect (because it's there, and I may as well use it for something), but I don't know what yet.

Human
In a game where background benefits are allowed, Humans gain the following racial trait.
  • Bonus Background Benefit: You can select a second background benefit.

[Changes: A minor benefit added to Humans, related to backgrounds, and blending well with their fluff.]
Meh, just something I added.

CHARACTER BACKGROUNDS

Any character can select the following background benefit in place of those listed in PH2 (page 178).
  • Choose one race associated with your background.  You are treated as a member of the chosen race instead of your own for feats, powers, paragon paths, and epic destinies.  For example, if you are a Dwarf and select Human, you can take feats that require you to being Human, but you cannot select feats requiring you to be a Dwarf.

[Changes: Simply adding an option.  Would like to see how it goes.]
No one in my games has used it yet, but I love the concept.

EDIT: The short version:
  • Small creatures use weapons normally (and instead of a restriction, get a few minor benefits).

• Humans can select 2 background benefits as a racial feature.

• As a background benefit, you can choose to count as a member of an associated race (instead of your own).

And that's... really it.

EDIT:
1) Dropped the treasure-parcel system and handed out loot appropriate to the monster, area, etc. A little less here, a little more there, and it all equals out, but with a better sense of logic to it.

Given the way you've described this, I can't quite grasp how that's different than the standard rules.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)

Alignment is removed as a game concept.  It's not on anybody's sheet or stat blocks.
The '3a' is because I have a couple of 'old-school' players who still think that 'it's a goblin/orc/drow, it's evil, we can kill it without provocation' is a valid concept.

Agreed. I'm still irritated with someone I know who refuses to accept that Gnolls or Minotaurs could ever be PCs, not understanding that "usually evil" does not mean "is always evil, case closed, end of story".
Maybe they're just playing in-character (prejudiced against the "evil" races).

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0707.html

"At a certain point, one simply has to accept that some folks will see what they want to see..." Dragon 387
1) All monsters get a damage bonus of 1/2 their level round down.

2) Damaging auras from monsters do 5 points of damage per tier.

I find this challenges the characters without draining party resources to much.

Some houserules I'm going to go with with some ones I'm thinking about. The immediate action one has been something I've been pondering.
  • Coup De Grace - When performing this action out of combat, you make an attack roll at the target. If the target is sleeping, unconscious, or helpless and you hit with the attack, you instantly kill the target. The normal rules apply in combat.

• Expertise Feats - You gain Implement and Weapon Expertise feats for free.

• Magic Item Scaling - Magical items scale with level. More information to come.

• Languages - TentativeYou get Int-mod bonus languages at first level.

• Daily Item Powers - You may use any number of Daily Item Powers per day except that only one magic item can be used per round.

• Immediate Actions - Tentative: You may use 1 Immediate Reaction and 1 Immediate Interrupt per round instead of one or the other.

I made a warlord who multi-classed into rogue.  The DM allowed me to use my longsword for the encounter power sneak attack (from the rogue class).  Felt it was silly for a trained figther to have to draw a mace (ruthless ruffian) or other sneak attack vaild weapon to get the sneak attack bonus, especially considering it was an encounter power (1x for fight) and my warlord fought sword and board style (so alsoe pretty ridiculous to have to drop the sword to get a one shot sneak attack).

Question - related topic, are there feats that allow a rogue to use a weapon other then the ones listed for sneak attacks?  Aside from Ruthless Ruffian, which expands the list to include the mace a a few others.

Opinion - this house rule sound ok to you guys, or do you think the ability to use the sword for this sneak attack should "cost" something?  Or should I have swapped from sword to mace?  Doesn't seem unbalanced to me, though curious to hear other feedback.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing" George Bernard Shaw "That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 My Gaming Sites World of Shantryl, a high fantasy homebrew world Darksun, the Lands of Athas
Oh, and as far as house rules we use...

0 Hit Points
If a player is dropped to exactly 0 hit points, he is effectivly unconscious.  He still makes death saves to see if he can get a 20, but he does not keep track of failed death saves, and will not die.  If an enemy hits his unconscious form and forces him below 0, then the player starts making death saves as normal.

Half Elf Dilettante
The Dilettante racial ability is similar to a magic bond or "empathic ability" half elves obtain from thier mixed blood heritage.  This opens them up to a "metaphysical bond"  or connection to the other intelligent races.  This allows them the following...

Half-elfs may swap thier dilettante power out with that of any at-will power possessed by any party member (ie; another character), provided they've seen the power in use.  The DM may allow this to include significant NPCs as well.  They make make this swap during any short rest.  Thier inital at will power is selected as normal during character creation.

New Feat - Dynamic Dilettante [Half-Elf]
This feat allows the half-elf to swap out thier dilettante power with any at-will power possessed by another character as a minor action.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing" George Bernard Shaw "That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 My Gaming Sites World of Shantryl, a high fantasy homebrew world Darksun, the Lands of Athas

Question - related topic, are there feats that allow a rogue to use a weapon other then the ones listed for sneak attacks?  Aside from Ruthless Ruffian, which expands the list to include the mace a a few others.

Verstaile Duelist I believe allows you to sneak attack with a longsword.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
But only with Rogue powers that require a ight blade.

I'm still in the process of figuring out which rules I'd like to change, since it's only been less than a year since I started playing 4e, I'm giving it more time. So I have nothing set in stone yet. Although a few houserules I'v tinkered with are as follows.

1. When you're behind someone and they are not facing you, you have combat advantages against them. You don't need to be flanking for this benefit to work.  (added this because the eladrin rogue player would feystep behind a monster and then sneak attack after first strike wasn't a factor)

2. Characters can use 3 item daily powers at heroic tier, 5 at paragon and 7 at epic. Although this hasn't really been the limit yet.
3. You can save mile stones and exchange them at any time in the future. This allows my players to complete tough encounters and then take an extended rest after wards without losing action point rewards. Mile stones also recharge daily powers and item daily powers.

4. Every character gains a magical item or reward equal to a magical item per level.

5. Magical items can be upgraded to improve their enhancements without requiring a new item being made/found.

6. Characters can use all of their action points in a single encounter, but only 1 action point per turn.

7. Once per encounter, an ally can make a heal check targeting another ally but not himself. If successful, the target can spend a healing surge. ( I'v not added this yet, but it would work like an additional second wind, only triggered by an ally, which would be very handy when there is no leader among the party)

As time goes on, I'll be checking out other rules to mutilate. Like using powers out of combat and not wasting them. (feystep across a pit and still be able to use it in battle, for example) But, before I go crazy, I want more time with the system, so I can know what it can do.

I'm also working on free feats.

Long Live Dragonlance and the Nexus! I still want an athasian nightmare beast and a warforged dragon mini! "Look, Meat, I'll tear your face off, rip your throat out and eat what's left-because that's what I do to food like you." ~Thrikreen Intimidation Tactic.
My Custom 4th edition Content (New Content:2)
* My Personal 4e Darksun Material found below: Updated Weapon Options. (critical impact, repair, salvage) http://www.4shared.com/document/bMZK2PNy/Updated_Optional_Darksun_Weapo.html 4th edition Athasian Sloth v1.2 (includes three monster write ups and a new disease) http://www.4shared.com/document/lj561SRh/4th_edition_Athasian_Sloth_v10.html 4th edition Athasian Flailer v1.0 http://www.4shared.com/document/JGi9PqSe/4th_edition__Athasian_Flailer_.html
No ******* sunrods.
What is the problem with Sunrods anyways?
No ******* sunrods.

Prude.
Innocent
Long Live Dragonlance and the Nexus! I still want an athasian nightmare beast and a warforged dragon mini! "Look, Meat, I'll tear your face off, rip your throat out and eat what's left-because that's what I do to food like you." ~Thrikreen Intimidation Tactic.
My Custom 4th edition Content (New Content:2)
* My Personal 4e Darksun Material found below: Updated Weapon Options. (critical impact, repair, salvage) http://www.4shared.com/document/bMZK2PNy/Updated_Optional_Darksun_Weapo.html 4th edition Athasian Sloth v1.2 (includes three monster write ups and a new disease) http://www.4shared.com/document/lj561SRh/4th_edition_Athasian_Sloth_v10.html 4th edition Athasian Flailer v1.0 http://www.4shared.com/document/JGi9PqSe/4th_edition__Athasian_Flailer_.html
Well, I expect this thread to end up moved, but as the OP asked, here is what I have for my Eberron game. Your mileage may vary.

---------------------------------------------------

House Rules v1.0

• Blast/Burst/Area attacks: Only roll to hit once per attack, compare result to each creature, and apply same damage as usual. Does not apply to powers with primary/secondary targets or attacks.

• Action Points: You can also gain an action point the first time you are bloodied in a day.

• Grabs: An attacker can also render a grabbed opponent prone. This is a STR attack vs. Reflex or Fortitude, whichever is greater. Damage for this throw attack is 1d4 + STR mod, and counts as a Standard Action.

• Healing and Extended Rests: After an extended rest;
    • Any character at negative HP goes to 0 HP.

• Any character at 0 HP regains one healing surge, which can be spent if a Heal check is made by an ally, or an endurance check is made by the character.

• Any character at 1+ HP regains all healing surges.

• 'Small' Characters: Any Versatile weapon used by a small character counts as a two-handed weapon for the purposes of feats, powers, and class features. As usual, they do not gain the +1 damage for using the weapon with two hands.

• Tough Minions: Rather than die in one hit (1 HP), some 'tough' minions will have 10/15/30 HP based on tier, with an appropiate bloodied status. Tough minions will take damage from powers that do damage on a miss. A critical hit always kills a minion in one hit, regardless of type.

• Levels and Experience Points: For the sake of simplicity and less bookkeeping, we will not track XP for levels in this game. I will be using the variant rule from the DMG (pg 121) for simpler XP. On average, the characters will gain a level every 8 to 10 encounters, or about 2-3 game sessions.

• Dragonmark Rituals: Rituals obtained via a Dragonmark must still be paid for to learn. One Ritual of choice (granted by the mark) over 10 minutes can be performed via Dragonmark once per day without components. Rituals of 10 minutes or less to perform can be performed via Dragonmark as a standard action by spending a healing surge without components. Focus items are still required in all cases.

• Legal Books/Materials: The following list are the books or digital materials allowed for characters: Player's Handbook I & II, Eberron Player's Guide, Manual of the Planes, Dragon Magazine Issues (vols. 364-377), Adventurer's Vault I, Forgotton Realms Player's Guide (with approval). Any other sources will be considered on case by case basis. This is more to keep game costs down than anything else.

No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT
What is the problem with Sunrods anyways?

They eliminate light as a factor, either in the atmosphere of the scene or in combat, by being too bright, lasting too long, and having too large a radius.

That doesn't mean that I constantly plunge the PCs into total darkness just to be a douchenozzle, or even track light meticulously all the time.  It just means that when I really want lighting to be important, I don't want to have to come up with a workaround to explain why the characters can't just whip out a glowstick.
1) Temp Hp from different sources stacks.
2) There is one alignment and it's "no."
3) You can spend multiple action points per encounter, but only one per round.
4) No elves or dwarfs (By which I mean, feel free to play an elf or dwarf, but I'll be sad )
Zammm = Batman. Bronies unite. "I'd call you a genius, but I'm in the room."
It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.
Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Interesting. So much alignment hate.

I haven't actually found that, in practice.  There absolutely are some builds who will never touch a different Arms, but there are also some builds that will never swap off a Horned Helm, and while just about every Melee attacked loves Armbands, there *are* other useful choices for many of them.

Yeah, I'm not convinced they're too good either.  As I said, we're not playing with this one currently.

9. Multiple "save ends" effects of the same type do not stack.  If you are hit with two "Dazed (save ends)" attacks, the second effect does nothing.  You only roll one save, and one successful save ends the dazed condition. 

You know that's actually a *core rule*, right?

Multiple copies of the same Save Ends effect are "one save ends all".  No house rule required.

No, it's not.

Multiple similar effects don't stack unless they're save ends.  Then they explicitly do.  The March errata stated as such.  Let me tell ya, it's lame.

From page 4 of the March errata (emphasis mine):
Overlapping Durations: When you are subjected
to identical effects that end at different times, you
ignore all the effects but the one that has the most
time remaining. Effects that a save can end work differently,
since you don’t know when they’re going to
end. You, therefore, track effects that a save can end
separately from effects that end at specific times.

4.  You can only die if reduced to your negative bloodied value in HP.  When reduced to zero or fewer HP, you are unable to act, but still conscious and healing powers work normally.  When you fail 3 death saves, you are out of the battle; you cannot be healed or revived during the battle, but can be revived during the short (or extended) rest thereafter.

I've thought about something like this (very sketchy currently):

He's Only Mostly Dead:
If you reach a dead ally within ~10 rounds of him or her dying, you can perform emergency first aid.  Begin a skill challenge based on Heal.  DC determined by DM, but should roughly be dead character's level + 15-20.  5 heroic/7 paragon/10 epic successes before 3 failures to succeed.  You can use healing powers which allow the PC to spend healing surges or two healing potions of the character's tier or higher (the PC must still have surges remaining).  Each such effect counts as a success (two potions count as one success), but no more than 3 successes can gained this way.

it really punishes knock prone effects unless it draws an OA

Why?

Standing up doesn't provoke OAs, so why would someone else spending the Move Action to help you stand make the power weaker?

(I mean, you totally might be right.  I just don't see the logic, so I'm asking.)

That was just my initial reaction.  Monster knocks someone prone, then immediately another player gets him or her on his feet.  Not much time for other monsters to beat on the guy while he's down.  Thinking about it more, it seems just fine.

As far as OA, standing up from prone doesn't provoke an OA, but picking up a dropped item does.

Agreed. I'm still irritated with someone I know who refuses to accept that Gnolls or Minotaurs could ever be PCs, not understanding that "usually evil" does not mean "is always evil, case closed, end of story".

Personally I'm tired of all the "You don't know that they're evil" or "They're not all evil."  Especially if were talking about one of the established campaign settings where Orcs and Hobgoblins are known mainly for raids on more civilized races, and are generally about as understanding as the Borg.  It's perfectly reasonable for characters not to want to take a risk.  A live Orc might be a friend or a foe.  A dead Orc is always friendly.  He even gives you all his stuff when you ask!

1. Having the high ground gives you a +1 attack bonus.

2. Roll for attacks and defenses (your defense bonus = normal defense score - 10).

3. One attack roll for blasts/bursts.

4. PCs and monsters add 1/2 level to damage rolls.

5. No negative HP. You die by failing death saving throws. If you receive damage when dying, you automatically fail a death save. A coup de grace causes the normal auto fail and additionally forces another death save.

6. DC for Aid Another is 10 + 1/2 level of the character you are aiding. A failed check inflicts a -2 penalty to the "aided" character's check.

7. I haven't been able to try this yet, but I have really wanted to implement a wound card system I saw somewhere on these forums. Basically, whenever a character takes damage, that character can take a wound card to negate that damage (this usually occurring when reduced to 0 HP). However, that wound card has a long term penalty (like reduced movement, or a penalty to attack) that lasts through several extended rests, thus simulating long term wounds, but it is entirely the player's choice whether he wants to deal with a long term wound since the cards are never forced on the players.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Apologies for mass posting. 

• Tough Minions: Rather than die in one hit (1 HP), some 'tough' minions will have 10/15/30 HP based on tier, with an appropiate bloodied status. Tough minions will take damage from powers that do damage on a miss. A critical hit always kills a minion in one hit, regardless of type.

We tried this, but found two things that I have issue with: a) it makes controllers and other characters that are meant to pop minions not quite as good (granted that we used higher hp values), and b) it's a lot more work for the DM to keep track of all those hp. I've thought of saying paragon minions die in two hits and epic minions die in three, but again, it's crap to track that I don't want to. 

I'd rather just add more minions and halve their XP value at paragon and third it at epic!

• Tough Minions:

We tried this, but found two things that I have issue with: a) it makes controllers and other characters that are meant to pop minions not quite as good (granted that we used higher hp values), and b) it's a lot more work for the DM to keep track of all those hp. I've thought of saying paragon minions die in two hits and epic minions die in three, but again, it's crap to track that I don't want to. 

Have you tried "Autodamage doesn't affect minions: Minions die on one hit, damage is irrelevant"?  If so, any comments?

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

• Tough Minions:

Have you tried "Autodamage doesn't affect minions: Minions die on one hit, damage is irrelevant"?  If so, any comments?

Oh, well heck, I didn't list this because I didn't consider it a "house rule" but I use an idea I actually got from somwhere on these forums, which I call "Advanced (or elite) minions". 

Works like normal minions except they have two "states" - Bloodied and unbloodied.  If they are not one of those, they are dead.  Basically, it takes two hits to kill them...First hit bloodies them (so you mark them as bloodied), second hit kills them (take them off the board). 

I usually increase the XP by one level for such minions (level 3 advanced minion is worth the XPs of a level 4 minion).  Works really well actually, especially for what are supposed to be big, powerful "brute-type" mininon...like ogres. ;)

As an apendum to the elite/2 hit minion rule. This still has the potential to bog down the DM, simply by virtue of tracking which ones have been hit and which haven't. Blobs of bluetac, or stickers can be added to elite minions when they take their first hit to make it instantly clear that they are bloodied. If you don't want to give away which are minions and which aren't, just put blobs of bluetac on everyone who gets hit, but only take away minions on the second hit.