Dragon 385 - Confessions of the Full-Time Wizard

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dragon 385
The Shelly Awards
Confessions of a Full-Time Wizard
By Shelly Mazzanoble

This month in Confessions, Shelly gives out titular awards in 4 different categories to WotCs 4e D&D team and the other people she associates with. 

Talk about this column here.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I forced myself to read it, on my endless quest to understand the purpose of this collumn.
Can someone explain to me why I should care about evaluating DM's I have never played with, and most likely never will? It's like rating a book nobody can buy.
Humph! I rather enjoyed this month's article. I always enjoy stories about other people's games.
Don't believe everything you think Ranger.jpg

Reading this article was like dipping my eyeballs in ground glass.

If Shelley took an angle like Confessions of a Shop-a-holic where she could explain D&D to newbs, or give people new perspectives on how the game can be played, awesome. Right now what she does basically confuses me.

Sorry Shelley, I'm sure you're a real peach. I just have a hard time getting what you're trying to do here.

Alas, I do not see much here at all except adverts.

Oh still wondering why "New DM" has to remain unnamed.

There again I was never a fan of awards or programs that presented them (though I have recieved a few, some still waiting for me to pick up).

As to others disappointed, some clearly was meant as humor. Some time humor works, sometimes it does not.
Plans are always subject to change.
fcjamison! That's fantastic! Let me tell you about our game then!

So, last time, we sneaked into a snake temple. The guards saw us, but we had stolen robes from high priests so they thought we were one of them. Haha, isn't that awesome!? The DM did a good job roleplaying. Then the barbarian pretended to be gay to one of the cult leaders, and when they went into a private room he killed him. Haha. Don't you find that funny too?

Etc.
I think her column is supposed to show that D&D is Fun! for everyone

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

@Alyri

Interesting hypothesis, could you provide some empirical evidence to support your claim?

Love your Forum Icon by the way, classic yet ominous, very stylish - and no I am not being sarcastic. It rocks.

@Elwyndas

ROFTLMAO! 

Is it just me, or do Shelly's articles seem to have a lot more pop culture influence lately?  I think that's what throws me off Confessions the most.  I can totally dig an article remeniscing about favorite characters, DMS, and adventures; but forcing it into an award show format just makes me  lose interest.  I avoid watching award shows, and nearly anything else to do with pop culture in real life.  I don't want facets of my hobby to emulate things I normally don't want to experience otherwise.
"Man is made God's plaything, and that is the best part of him. Therefore every man and woman should live life accordingly, and play the noblest games... Life must be lived as play, playing certain games, making sacrifices, singing and dancing..." Plato, The Laws.
I was a big fan of Shelly's article when it first came out.  But I think she's gotten a little off-message.  her articles were fun when it was either the perspective of a D&D-obsessed player in the real world (her description of shooting imaginary magic missiles at drivers who cut her off was classic), or a non-gamer injecting non-gamer sensibilities in the game world, like having her character go shopping, or wanting her animal rights activism reflected in her familiar.

But recently, her articles have simply been about what's happening in her offices, and not so much about Ms. M.  It may be that she has mined her own psyche for all the ore it had to offer, and really doesn't have much left to say on the topic that was at first so engaging.  If so, it may be time to step aside and let someone else have that editorial slot -- might I suggest Nina Hess?

@Alyri

Interesting hypothesis, could you provide some empirical evidence to support your claim?

Love your Forum Icon by the way, classic yet ominous, very stylish - and no I am not being sarcastic. It rocks.

Evidence?  This is the 'net, we need none of this evidence you speak of. We need a keyboard and an opinion to make facts.

My claim was "I think her column is supposed to show that D&D is Fun! for everyone",  my thoughts come from the abundance use of the word fun!, that WotC uses in the books and interviews and podcasts and well everywhere about 4e.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

@Elwyndas
To bad you are being sarcastic. That would have been hilarious.

@Alyri
The others seem to be blinded by the perceived crushed glass in their eyes. Don't mind them too much, and perhaps point them toward the nearest emergency eye wash station if you are feeling so inclined.

@wrecan
I'll admit that I am not an avid reader of Shelly's column. Last month I was not particularly impressed, but this month I found rather enjoyable. Spank my ass and call me naughty for having a favorable opinion of this month's column. The other references you made to other articles sound truely amusing...perhaps I will have to go back and read some of her early works.
Don't believe everything you think Ranger.jpg
I forced myself to read it, on my endless quest to understand the purpose of this collumn.
Can someone explain to me why I should care about evaluating DM's I have never played with, and most likely never will? It's like rating a book nobody can buy.

I tried to read the article.  My eyes glazed over somewhere around the second paragraph and I couldn't force myself any longer. 

I'm not a fan of awards shows.  I'm sure the actual folks involved were happy for the kudos, but the entire article read like something that would have been better sent in interoffice mail rather than inflicted on paying readers.

This is not what I consider "content" and if I weren't getting a heck of a lot more for my subscription price I'd be ticked.  I'm glad I no longer get the magazine via mail subscription or buy it in the store, because I'd be way upset with the wastage of space on self-congratulatory garbage.
What Would Galstaff Do? Random GM Tips: Three Clue Rule http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/misc/three-clue-rule.html

I tried to read the article.  My eyes glazed over somewhere around the second paragraph and I couldn't force myself any longer. 

I'm not a fan of awards shows.  I'm sure the actual folks involved were happy for the kudos, but the entire article read like something that would have been better sent in interoffice mail rather than inflicted on paying readers.

This is not what I consider "content" and if I weren't getting a heck of a lot more for my subscription price I'd be ticked.  I'm glad I no longer get the magazine via mail subscription or buy it in the store, because I'd be way upset with the wastage of space on self-congratulatory garbage.

FWIW, this article is free content or words.  No one directly paid for this article.

FWIW, this article is free content or words.  No one directly paid for this article.

Not sure how you mean that.  My question - would it be printed in the printed version of the magazine?  (LOL I assume there still IS a printed version?)  If so, that's a waste of space for most readers that could better be spent on something that's content.

What Would Galstaff Do? Random GM Tips: Three Clue Rule http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/misc/three-clue-rule.html

Not sure how you mean that.  My question - would it be printed in the printed version of the magazine?  (LOL I assume there still IS a printed version?)  If so, that's a waste of space for most readers that could better be spent on something that's content.

There is no printed version. It appears however if that if was a printed that and other "free" content would be inclided.
Some content of the ezines can only be read for fee. Others, like Confessions, is free content.

In the grand sceme of things of course the words or content (whichever you considered them to be) is paid for indirectly from sales of DDI, Novels, etc.

If it was printed, odds are some what a few sales of advertizements would still make it free content.  I certainly am not sure on this point as I do not sell advertizements. There can of course be the view of having to see advertizements is a cost, thus not free for what is not directly charged for.

Good grief. So the latest excuse for being a bad writer is that it's "free". Well it's not. The column is taken and blocked for someone who could do better than this. And guess who paid for this blockage? YOU DID.

I guess the next response is "you don't have to read it if you don't like it" - one of my favorites.

BTW, the story with the "gay" barbarian actually happened in our game, so it's not sarcasm!
Good grief. So the latest excuse for being a bad writer is that it's "free". Well it's not.

I did not say it was free, I just said it was free access material.

Good grief. So the latest excuse for being a bad writer is that it's "free". Well it's not.

I did not say it was free, I just said it was free access material.

Good grief. So the latest excuse for being a bad writer is that it's "free". Well it's not. The column is taken and blocked for someone who could do better than this. And guess who paid for this blockage? YOU DID.

I guess the next response is "you don't have to read it if you don't like it" - one of my favorites.

BTW, the story with the "gay" barbarian actually happened in our game, so it's not sarcasm!

Precisely one of the points I'm getting at.  Not saying that the person was a bad writer, just that it was a boring subject, for myself and probably a lot of others.  That space would have been filled one way or other, but it could have been filled with something actually worth reading.

So there's NOT a paper version of Dragon/Dungeon available anymore?  Man, now I feel really old. 
Hey, thanks for the great article and loved the "Category: Best Dungeon Master". 

I wanted to ask, is there any change get the program which Michael Low was using on his games to track PC's initiatives, condition etc? Sounds like very nice piece of software I tried to search the web but didn't find it.
Sign In to post comments