Single dip arcane prestige casters

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm looking for good single dip arcane caster classes.  I'm already looking at mindbender.  

I'm playing a chaos gnome sorcerer 5/wild mage 3/fatespinner 5.

My dm has agreed to let me just take single lvl dips to represent the fact that he can't make up his mind about what he wants to do.

Who can't make up is mind?  The character or the DM?  If it is the DM you have my sympathy but if it is the character I really want to know what's up.  You do realize that a Sorcerer13 may not be able to "make up his mind" any more than a Sor5/WM3/FS5 because you are looking at a ROLEPLAYING condition that doesn't need to show up on the character sheet.
looks to me like the "can't make up his mind" is a "roleplay" excuse to exploit the front-loaded nature of PrCs. 
Airos' Corollary stuff, stuff, stuff, and stuff more stuff don't be a **** okay, if you insist Return of the awesome -- you just can't kill it Everything you need Everything I say is to be taken at face value. Why? Because that's the way it is intended.
looks to me like the "can't make up his mind" is a "roleplay" excuse to exploit the front-loaded nature of PrCs. 

That's kind of self containing, since trying to qualify for a lot of them generally means throwing feats and skill points in all different directions instead of building a coherent character base.  And most prestige classes are sufficiently well-designed that you don't get the really juicy benefits until later levels, anyway (though I've never found much that's attractive about the Mindbender except its telepathy ).

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
The DM is very good and is fine with the idea.  I usually play rather serious characters that sometimes tend to take a leading role in a group.  I've decided to play a silly indecisive character for this new game.

The chaos gnome is the one that can't make up his mind(he's a chaos gnome go figure).  I guess a more appropriate description would be that he keeps trying out new things in life, he's the guy everyone knows that can never hold down the same job for more than a couple of months.

As Slagger said I'm tossing around feats and skill points in all kinds of different directions meaning he's not really all that great at any one thing, he's barely decent at a few things; this is in no way an optimized power build exploiting anything.  Well that's not completely true I am going to abuse a bag of tricks and rod of wonder.

Right now I'm looking at mindbender and blood magnus.  I'm also considering Alienist b/c it's something so bizarre that if he'd have encountered it he would want to have done it.  I'm just having some difficulties b/c prereq's are so varying and wildly different and demading.
well then, I withdraw my original comment for the now.
I guess I've just spent too much time on the CO boards.

Speaking of which, the CO boards are probably gonna be your best resource for this project.  You can try the one right here at WotC, but might find more input HERE (as that is where most of the "old timers" of CO have gone).
Airos' Corollary stuff, stuff, stuff, and stuff more stuff don't be a **** okay, if you insist Return of the awesome -- you just can't kill it Everything you need Everything I say is to be taken at face value. Why? Because that's the way it is intended.

I tried a more extreme version of this for a divine caster. The only real strategy to cramming as many prestige classes as possible into a build is to make a list of the ones that provide +1 casting at 1st level with the requirements noted, then pick out the ones with the lowest requirements or the most overlap in requirements.

Ruathar (Races of the Wild) is almost impossible not to qualify for. Fate spinner (Complete Arcane) is pretty easy to get into as well. Geometer (Complete Arcane) is a little skill intensive, but not too bad. Mage of the arcane order (Complete Arcane) requires cooperative spell, but little else. Wayfarer guide (Complete Arcane) is another one that requires a bunch of ranks in a useless skill and little else. None of those give you much, but if you just want to have a bunch of different classes, they do the job.

Note that extreme multiclassing is great for saves, but terrible for base attack bonus unless you do it fractionally.

Note that extreme multiclassing is great for saves, but terrible for base attack bonus unless you do it fractionally.

Or if you do it in two-level sets, which is very viable since a lot of classes have a good ability on their second level just so that you can't get it with a one-level dip.

That said, I have a 20-level build consisting entirely of single levels with a +20 BAB, so it's definitely possible to retain BAB if that's what you want (just not so much when matching full spellcasting with full BAB and extreme multiclassing).

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.