3/29/2010 Feature: "The Eldrazi Arisen"

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature Article, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Awesome.  I already want two Sarkhan the Mads for my black/red 'Boggart Jihad' deck, it fits perfectly with the sacrifice themes.  I get the feeling the third planeswalker, the lithomancer, was Urza's companion Karn, who has certainly been around long enough.  It would explain why the next set is about the world Karn created, Mirrodin.  I'm wondering, since the new Sarkhan was revealed so early, if there may still be the colorless Ugin planeswalker in this set.  I know that Alara established the 3-1-1 release for planeswalkers, but that might only be because there are only 5 colors, and each has to be represented.  With the addition of colorless creatures and spells, I could see a colorless planewalker being introduced.
I think Sarkhan 2.0 might be pretty good in goblin decks, those nice, cheap creatures are always on the lookout for heavy finishers.
"Sarkhan the Mad deals damage to himself"? Is this a typo or some newfangled planeswalker-specific templating? (Creature cards are always refered to as "it", regardless of the gender of the fictional entity depicted.)

He's still awesome, though. 2 loyalty Vol, Threaten something, swing, then play this and make it a dragon.
turn 6: broodmate dragon
turn 7: sarkhan the mad, his ultimate for 8 damage, then attack for 8 more
turn 8: there is no turn 8.  even if there was you'd just play some wimpy 1 drop and then trade it for a 5/5 dragon
"Sarkhan the Mad deals damage to himself"? Is this a typo or some newfangled planeswalker-specific templating? (Creature cards are always refered to as "it", regardless of the gender of the fictional entity depicted.)

He's still awesome, though. 2 loyalty Vol, Threaten something, swing, then play this and make it a dragon.

Planeswalkers are on the same level as players, who are always referred to him/herself. ("Target player deals X damage to himself or herself.")
The mystic lock has clicked.



Only once... Imagined if it double clicked!!!

Well, I plan on making a Jund Walker deck. Between Sarkhan 1.0, and 2.0, Garruk, and Doubling Season it should be pretty good.

Even in the current Jund decks, it's good. Play Vol, sac your Thrinax/Saproling/Goblin, get a nasty big dragon in return, profit.

Not sure about the first ability, I think it can be pretty good though. If you play Vol, use his 2nd and 3rd powers, then next turn use the 1st power to draw an extra card to finish him off. Then just drop another Vol. Sounds pretty nice to me.

Flavor wise, I hope Sarkhan is featured ALOT in the Zendikar novel, he is simply the most interesting Planeswalker around. Ordering my copy tonight.

Also, the lack of Novel promotion in the article makes me cry. Isnt that the perfect article to show it off?
98% of people use statistics in their sigs, or have used them in the past. If you are one of the 2% that haven't or don't, place this into your signature. New Magic Forums, Im'a let you finish, but the old Magic Forums were one of the greatest boards of all time!
I really like the Eldrazi story, but the vampires' role in it is a shame for several reasons:

1) Why did it have to be the vampires? Couldn't we have the humans being corrupted and the vampires being surprise good guys?

2) "Hooklike horns grew from the vampires' shoulders, convenient handles for the Eldrazi to dominate their slave race" - this doesn't actually make any sense at all. Physically the Eldrazi are big enough to crush entire armies, what difference are cute little bony hooks going to make? And that's before we even get to the fact that the vampires are more likely controlled by magical means.

3) What do the Eldrazi even want with a slave race of that kind? They devour the energy of planes! Do they need someone to fold their napkins for them before they eat?!

This whole subplot just seems like someone spotted the conceptual link between blood drinking and plane consuming and got a little overexcited!

How much power is enough? To quote Greed from 7th, "An advisor once asked the Western Paladin how much gold would be enough. "I have no need of fools who can imagine ‘enough,'" he told the advisor's corpse."
There is no such thing as enough power, so of course they'd want slaves to fold their napkins.
There is no such thing as enough power, so of course they'd want slaves to fold their napkins.

But if that were the case (and it's a fairly flimsy argument) then why not enslave all the races of Zendikar?
Can't answer that. Flimsy argument? Really?
So if you were in charge of absolutely effing everything, you'd fold yr own napkins for dinner?
Cuz I wouldnt.
Does the lack of the "If you do," clause in the 2nd ability mean I can target my Sakura-Tribe Elder, sacrifice it for its effect and still get the 5/5?
Does the lack of the "If you do," clause in the 2nd ability mean I can target my Sakura-Tribe Elder, sacrifice it for its effect and still get the 5/5?


I'm afraid not. The ability would be countered on resolution because its target became illegal.
I have the sneaking suspicion that this is one of those cards that I don't 'get' on some level, so I go meh when I look at it and then it turns out to actually be very powerful.

Although I'm glad I actually pegged the existence of this card when I was thinking about the webcomic last weekend and how we've gotten updates of Chandra and Jace, but not Sarkhan yet.

On the whole as a set, the creative seems very strong, I like the idea of the Eldrazi both mechanically and as a new cross-plane baddie to rival the Planeswalkers in the overall story of Magic... but maybe I'm getting ahead of myself with that one.  Outside of the set, an Eldrazi might just be a nearly impossible to cast fatty.

However, I think a lot of old school players are going to think MTG jumped the proverbial shark when they see Level Up... I'm not entirely sure they'd be wrong either.  I'm VERY curious to see next week's article when hopefully we will get some insight into how this mechanic came to be.

Finally, I remember reading about Vampire flavour and their tribal memory of being slaves... I gues you could give tribal memory to all the races on the plane, but with Vampires being long-lived creatures it makes a lot of sense on them, gives them a little something special for the flavour junkies and also let's Creative seed more hints of what's to come which will eventually pay off later.
I really like the Eldrazi story, but the vampires' role in it is a shame for several reasons:

1) Why did it have to be the vampires? Couldn't we have the humans being corrupted and the vampires being surprise good guys?

2) "Hooklike horns grew from the vampires' shoulders, convenient handles for the Eldrazi to dominate their slave race" - this doesn't actually make any sense at all. Physically the Eldrazi are big enough to crush entire armies, what difference are cute little bony hooks going to make? And that's before we even get to the fact that the vampires are more likely controlled by magical means.

3) What do the Eldrazi even want with a slave race of that kind? They devour the energy of planes! Do they need someone to fold their napkins for them before they eat?!

This whole subplot just seems like someone spotted the conceptual link between blood drinking and plane consuming and got a little overexcited!




1. Because the Eldrazi thought the Vampires were cute =)
2. As you say, they're cute little bony hooks =)
3. Because they find them cute! That's the entire point! They kept the Vampires as pets. We don't need goldfish or guinea pigs or cats or whatever, but we enslave them because we like having them around. At least, that's how I see their relationship and I find it awesome.

Planeswalkers are on the same level as players, who are always referred to him/herself. ("Target player deals X damage to himself or herself.")



Yeah I found this part the most awesome about the preview card =) I love these flavorful wordings, like Fireheart's reminder text and this himself.

Although there is something incredible wrong/right when creature types and being artifact doesn't matter anymore as a Planeswalker, but gender does Wink
Sarkhan Vol's ultimate. Sacrifice him. Play Sarkhan the Mad. Sarkhan the Mad's ultimate.

Win! XD
Very, VERY Sarkhanly. I think I may give it a try. =D
I have the sneaking suspicion that this is one of those cards that I don't 'get' on some level, so I go meh when I look at it and then it turns out to actually be very powerful.



My thoughts exactly.
I'm looking at the card, it's costs, and what it does, and I have a knee-jerk reaction of "it's not good."

It's kind of confusing, though. He can instantly do his ultimate when he hit's play, but then on the other hand he will never be able to do it again since he has no ability that allows you to put additional loyalty counters on him (no one say Doubling Season, or you will be executed).

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
That is pretty sick. "I think I am done with this Goblin Guide. I will take a Dragon instead." I would say it's a nice new tool for R/b, but the sad thing is Jund is more likely to abuse it than anyone else.
I hate that jund gets this. I love the card, but I hate that it is out now, when giving Jund more tools just seems disgusting. I don't see how UW is a deck now. I think decks just became Jund or R/b and nothing else.

If left unhindered, how does this not singlehandedly win the game? I think the UW deck with no counters, which had been one of the 3 tier 1 archetypes going by Magic Online results, just became tier 2. Let's see, Jund or R/b has done X amount of damage to you. They plop this down, cash it in for a dragon. If you don't have the answer in hand you are going to take 10 next turn. Good luck with that.



The -0 ability is funny. I don't know when I would be digging for a card that would be better than dragons. I guess if you have no guys on the board. It's also funny to think that there will be situations when giving your opponent a dragon is better than letting them keep their current threat. I guess it's better to get hit by a dragon than a 15/15 with Anihilator 6.
I really like the Eldrazi story, but the vampires' role in it is a shame for several reasons:

1) Why did it have to be the vampires? Couldn't we have the humans being corrupted and the vampires being surprise good guys?

2) "Hooklike horns grew from the vampires' shoulders, convenient handles for the Eldrazi to dominate their slave race" - this doesn't actually make any sense at all. Physically the Eldrazi are big enough to crush entire armies, what difference are cute little bony hooks going to make? And that's before we even get to the fact that the vampires are more likely controlled by magical means.

3) What do the Eldrazi even want with a slave race of that kind? They devour the energy of planes! Do they need someone to fold their napkins for them before they eat?!

This whole subplot just seems like someone spotted the conceptual link between blood drinking and plane consuming and got a little overexcited!


You're absolutly right. It makes no sense of all. But WotC can't do it better... it's that simple!

You have to understand that there are several decisions beside the storytelling part. When they brought back [c]Sengir Vampire[7c], it was a disaster. But still, many people like vampires. And one positive thing: They can talk and think! That's important when you design a D&D-like world in Magic.

They couldn't make them good, because they needed a unique black creature type. R&D has learned that there are many casual players out there, who focus on a specific aspect of the game. In our group, most players started with a tribe. We have a girl who likes Angels, one who likes Kithkins. Some started with beasts, goblins, elves or slivers. However, noone started with a black tribe or a blue tribe!
Of course there were some black zombie decks, but they had nearly no impact. So WotC were looking to establish a black tribe... the vampires. So the storytellers are forced to integrate this tribe into the story... and of course they have to play the "black" role. it doesn't matter if a black Vampire had lured them into their prison. It doesn't matter. What matters are that there might be some casual players who play a black tribe!

@ Sarkhan the mad:
I like it, but he is too weak if you compare him with Jace, the Money Scalper.

Even if you do nothing else with Sarkhan the Mad, he's worth an immediate 5/5 Dragon for


You get a 5/5 dragon for cmc 5 with "as an additional cost, sacrifice a creature you control". And that's quite unspectacular at this time with Baneslayers, Broodmates around... It's more vulnerable than the 3/3 token created by Garruk, because you can't use it this way without any creature on your side. Of course, you can transfer a Baneslayer into a non-lifelink stupidness, but that's also not worth it.

And I hate WotC for their legendary rule:
306.4. If two or more planeswalkers that share a planeswalker type are on the battlefield, all are put into their owners’ graveyards as a state-based action. This is called the “planeswalker uniqueness rule.”


Would be cool to transform a Sarkhan Vol into this version, but that's not allowed! They both would die. No timestamp rule here.

But I like Sarkhan the mad. Why - because he feels very flavorful and has a weakness! By now, Magic includes nearly no drawacks because that would overstrain a 14 year old player. Power is measured purely by how broken the boni are.
That is pretty sick. "I think I am done with this Goblin Guide. I will take a Dragon instead." I would say it's a nice new tool for R/b, but the sad thing is Jund is more likely to abuse it than anyone else.
I hate that jund gets this. I love the card, but I hate that it is out now, when giving Jund more tools just seems disgusting. I don't see how UW is a deck now. I think decks just became Jund or R/b and nothing else.

If left unhindered, how does this not singlehandedly win the game? I think the UW deck with no counters, which had been one of the 3 tier 1 archetypes going by Magic Online results, just became tier 2. Let's see, Jund or R/b has done X amount of damage to you. They plop this down, cash it in for a dragon. If you don't have the answer in hand you are going to take 10 next turn. Good luck with that.



The -0 ability is funny. I don't know when I would be digging for a card that would be better than dragons. I guess if you have no guys on the board. It's also funny to think that there will be situations when giving your opponent a dragon is better than letting them keep their current threat. I guess it's better to get hit by a dragon than a 15/15 with Anihilator 6.

Luckily, when Rise of the Eldrazi comes out, Bloodbraid Elf, Blightning, Bituminous Blast, Terminate, Sprouting Thrinax, Broodmate Dragon and Putrid Leech will all rotate out of Standard, and I don't think Jund has been making much of a splash in Extended - and probably won't, even with Sarkhan the Mad.
My bad. I thought there was an overlap.
Bloodbraid Elf and all of his Jund friends won't rotate out until Scars of Mirrodin comes online in October.
Luckily, when Rise of the Eldrazi comes out, Bloodbraid Elf, Blightning, Bituminous Blast, Terminate, Sprouting Thrinax, Broodmate Dragon and Putrid Leech will all rotate out of Standard, and I don't think Jund has been making much of a splash in Extended - and probably won't, even with Sarkhan the Mad.

I truly wish that were true, trust me. But the next rotation of Standard is only next fall. Just because Rise of the Eldrazi is a large set doesn't mean that it causes a rotation; it's only the third set of the Zendikar Block, a block with an odd structure. There's a precedent : shadowmoor, which is part of the Lorwyn-Shadowmoor block, didn't cause a rotation 2 years ago either, and it was also a large set released in the spring. We're in for 6 more months of Jund domination, and Sarkhan the mad is, unfortunately, a shiny new tool for that deck.

Aside from that sad note, I do like the card itself a lot, and I'll probably try it in my Rb burn deck. Turning a Ball Lightning or any of its close cousins Hellspark Elemental, Hell's Thunder, and the token from Zektar Shrine Expedition into a dragon after attacking with it is just too great. The possibility of using Sarkhan as draw spell in a pinch is not too shabby either.

Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
Next time, PLEASE use a spoiler alert. I hadn't yet read the comics, and it kind of ruined it for me when you started talking about them with no spoiler alert.
let me go out on a limb here...
new sarkhan = worst plainswalker ever = TOTAL GARBAGE!
Chandra Ablaze looks like Elspeth next to this failed experiment

That is pretty sick. "I think I am done with this Goblin Guide. I will take a Dragon instead." I would say it's a nice new tool for R/b, but the sad thing is Jund is more likely to abuse it than anyone else.
I hate that jund gets this. I love the card, but I hate that it is out now, when giving Jund more tools just seems disgusting. I don't see how UW is a deck now. I think decks just became Jund or R/b and nothing else.

If left unhindered, how does this not singlehandedly win the game? I think the UW deck with no counters, which had been one of the 3 tier 1 archetypes going by Magic Online results, just became tier 2. Let's see, Jund or R/b has done X amount of damage to you. They plop this down, cash it in for a dragon. If you don't have the answer in hand you are going to take 10 next turn. Good luck with that.



The -0 ability is funny. I don't know when I would be digging for a card that would be better than dragons. I guess if you have no guys on the board. It's also funny to think that there will be situations when giving your opponent a dragon is better than letting them keep their current threat. I guess it's better to get hit by a dragon than a 15/15 with Anihilator 6.

Luckily, when Rise of the Eldrazi comes out, Bloodbraid Elf, Blightning, Bituminous Blast, Terminate, Sprouting Thrinax, Broodmate Dragon and Putrid Leech will all rotate out of Standard, and I don't think Jund has been making much of a splash in Extended - and probably won't, even with Sarkhan the Mad.



you are so wrong, i cant say more.
Next time, PLEASE use a spoiler alert. I hadn't yet read the comics, and it kind of ruined it for me when you started talking about them with no spoiler alert.


spoiler_shirt.png
Enjoyed the flavor download.. that was a LOT of info!
And even though I had read the comics, it actually made the whole picture much clearer.

I do have a little bit of difficulty imagining Sorin Markhov as being "thousands of years" old.  A few hundred, no problem.. but thousands is a scale that seems on par with Nicol Bolas.  A being that old was never heard about except on this plane?  Surely he must be incredibly powerful by now..

I'm also looking forward to reading about the alliance I assume forms with Nissa Revane.


In real life, being older doesn't make you more powerful.
I guess ghostfire is being reprinted.
I really like the Eldrazi story, but the vampires' role in it is a shame for several reasons:

1) Why did it have to be the vampires? Couldn't we have the humans being corrupted and the vampires being surprise good guys?

2) "Hooklike horns grew from the vampires' shoulders, convenient handles for the Eldrazi to dominate their slave race" - this doesn't actually make any sense at all. Physically the Eldrazi are big enough to crush entire armies, what difference are cute little bony hooks going to make? And that's before we even get to the fact that the vampires are more likely controlled by magical means.

3) What do the Eldrazi even want with a slave race of that kind? They devour the energy of planes! Do they need someone to fold their napkins for them before they eat?!





1) It could have; I for one like the traditional, evil vampires but YMMV.

2) Its a reminder to the vampires who their masters are/were. Sure, there's the threat of being crushed and having your life sucked out of you as a snack by the 11-dimensional horrors from beyond but then the Eldrazi would just be another Cthulu look alike. The shoulder handles let us know that the Eldrazi are willing to go the extra mile in making sure their servents know they're being dominated. This way we know the Eldrazi care.


3) The Eldrazi do have the Brood Lineage, but at the time when the Eldrazi conscripted the vampires they were trapped in Zendikar already. It's possible that they were planning on using the Vampires to help their escape, something that would be less expected by Sorin and co. Its possible that the Eldrazi are somehow unable to break their cage, but the vampires or perhaps another vampire planeswalker could. Their arrangement is probably like that of the Cthuluian cultists, they help the Eldrazi/Cthulu awaken and escape and they get the dubious honor of being devoured last (or first in Cthulu's case. Really quite better than the alternative.)



In other news, I actually like Sharken the Mad more than most of the Planeswalkers.
In real life, being older doesn't make you more powerful.

Seriously, you're going to bring up the "real life" argument?
In real life, you don't live thousands of years.

I guess the thing is
1) it's hard to imagine anyone living that long without being incredibly powerful or now being incredibly frail.  his card doesn't convey his age well.
2) planeswalkers are presumably spending time binding to different mana sources and learning spells.

I guess I'm just saying that what I know of Sorin doesn't convey "ancient being older than many worlds" to me.  Sorin looks cool and dangerous.. but not ancient.
Not digging the new planeswalker. I'm sorry, but this one is just GARBAGE. It can work in some decks, but its simply not as verstile as planeswalkers SHOULD be. The spoiled cards as well are not exactly great as well. Not digging the level up mechanic at all.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Decks I play: Green Weenie Uber-Vampires http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_search_result.asp?Creator=vcordie
To make sure that the imprisonment would not be broken, the three planeswalkers sealed the chamber with a kind of mystical lock: the Eye of Ugin could only be reactivated by the presence of three planeswalker sparks—and  the colorless, invisible breath of Ugin, the spirit dragon himself.


So... If the Eldrazi were all that threatening and needed to be imprisoned forever, why did the three Planeswalkers make a lock that could be opened at all? Why didn't they just lock it forever with something, or made a lock that could only be opened by 200 Planeswalkers or something?
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!

I actually like the design of the card.  Its new and different in the no + loyalty counters and that, from a flavor perspective is pretty cool.

What I don't like is how easily this slides into Jund and makes it even more powerful.  Lose a Thrinax in combat, play Sarkhan, sac a saproling for a dragon, double dragon, ultimate for 13.  Ouch.

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
So... If the Eldrazi were all that threatening and needed to be imprisoned forever, why did the three Planeswalkers make a lock that could be opened at all? Why didn't they just lock it forever with something, or made a lock that could only be opened by 200 Planeswalkers or something?



Because they hadn't heard the saying "Never ass/u/me anything"?

If the "omnipotent" walkers couldnt deal with the Eldrazi properly, what chance would the new bunch have? And if they do succeed, then that would make them more powerful than the old walkers, which means the whole reasoning for killing off all the other walkers was pointless.

Heck, the fact that they bought Bolas back kind of supports the Old Walkers can exist in the new storyline, but this would just finalize the ridiculousness of the slaughter...
98% of people use statistics in their sigs, or have used them in the past. If you are one of the 2% that haven't or don't, place this into your signature. New Magic Forums, Im'a let you finish, but the old Magic Forums were one of the greatest boards of all time!
Just to settle the Sorin Markov debate, read his planeswalker page:

"With the exception of the elder dragon Nicol Bolas, the vampire Sorin Markov is older than all other planeswalkers described here—older than all of them combined. His multiple millennia have brought him detachment and easy confidence. Unlike Bolas, Sorin doesn't concern himself with gathering power or control. He is content to follow his whims, even when those whims are cruel or deadly."

He isn't power mad like Bolas, but he's old and terrifying just the same.
Awesome card. Since I am primarily a limited player, I already know that this is a first pick, windmill slam card. And that makes me happy. Drop him, get three dragons, and then draw a card. Perfectly fine with me.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
So... If the Eldrazi were all that threatening and needed to be imprisoned forever, why did the three Planeswalkers make a lock that could be opened at all? Why didn't they just lock it forever with something, or made a lock that could only be opened by 200 Planeswalkers or something?



Because they hadn't heard the saying "Never ass/u/me anything"?

If the "omnipotent" walkers couldnt deal with the Eldrazi properly, what chance would the new bunch have? And if they do succeed, then that would make them more powerful than the old walkers, which means the whole reasoning for killing off all the other walkers was pointless.

Heck, the fact that they bought Bolas back kind of supports the Old Walkers can exist in the new storyline, but this would just finalize the ridiculousness of the slaughter...


But... it doesn't make sense! Of course, this is necessary for creating the stoy, but it's just stupid. And if they managed to seal the Eldrazi a long time ago, it probably was before the mending. Now that all Planeswalkers have been nerfed, they have no chance! Of course, they couldn't have seen that coming, but it's still not being too helpfull.

 And I think that having 3 Planeswalkers in a chamber at the same with the invisible fire that was just there solidified the whole time isn't a good way to lock something. Like Zendikar wasn't full of Planeswalkers exploring it already. Sooner or latter 3 of them would get there (I'm not saying it was full of 'walkers since the beginning, but it was recently). I haven't read any Zendikar novel, but I think Sorin was in the plane the whole time. Why didn't he do anything?
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
So... If the Eldrazi were all that threatening and needed to be imprisoned forever, why did the three Planeswalkers make a lock that could be opened at all? Why didn't they just lock it forever with something, or made a lock that could only be opened by 200 Planeswalkers or something?



Because they hadn't heard the saying "Never ass/u/me anything"?

If the "omnipotent" walkers couldnt deal with the Eldrazi properly, what chance would the new bunch have? And if they do succeed, then that would make them more powerful than the old walkers, which means the whole reasoning for killing off all the other walkers was pointless.

Heck, the fact that they bought Bolas back kind of supports the Old Walkers can exist in the new storyline, but this would just finalize the ridiculousness of the slaughter...


But... it doesn't make sense! Of course, this is necessary for creating the stoy, but it's just stupid. And if they managed to seal the Eldrazi a long time ago, it probably was before the mending. Now that all Planeswalkers have been nerfed, they have no chance! Of course, they couldn't have seen that coming, but it's still not being too helpfull.

 And I think that having 3 Planeswalkers in a chamber at the same with the invisible fire that was just there solidified the whole time isn't a good way to lock something. Like Zendikar wasn't full of Planeswalkers exploring it already. Sooner or latter 3 of them would get there (I'm not saying it was full of 'walkers since the beginning, but it was recently). I haven't read any Zendikar novel, but I think Sorin was in the plane the whole time. Why didn't he do anything?



First, who is to say that the Eldrazi are actually dealt with in RoE?  I have a feeling that they will just be driven from Zendikar due to its evolution since they were imprisoned, but I doubt they will be killed.

Second, Bolas is alive because he is a dragon who's lifespan was in the millenia before the spark.  Sorin Markov is a vampire with a long lifespan.  Urza's buddy Karn could still be alive because he was a Golem.

Third, who would know to use invisible fire to break the seal?  I doubt it was a 'lock' but instead more of a capstone on the prison, which the ghostfire caused to be knocked out of balance.  Nicol Bolas manipulated all three into being there, and taught them the spell, through the scroll that the webcomics and the Purifying Fire novel deals with.

Finally, everthing on Sorin states he only recently came back to Zendikar.  The novel isn't even out yet.
To make sure that the imprisonment would not be broken, the three planeswalkers sealed the chamber with a kind of mystical lock: the Eye of Ugin could only be reactivated by the presence of three planeswalker sparks—and  the colorless, invisible breath of Ugin, the spirit dragon himself.


So... If the Eldrazi were all that threatening and needed to be imprisoned forever, why did the three Planeswalkers make a lock that could be opened at all? Why didn't they just lock it forever with something, or made a lock that could only be opened by 200 Planeswalkers or something?


My guess is, in case something even worse came along.

The original trio knew how to manipulate the Eldrazi to an extent, at least enough to lure them to Zendikar in the first place. If they did it once, perhaps they were (over-?)confident in their ability to do it a second time if they felt the need to sic the Eldrazi on some even worse threat. Bolas, maybe; now he seems to have ideas of his own where the Eldrazi are concerned but who's to say he already did thousands of years ago.

So they set a combo on their lock that the three of them, working together, could crack with relative ease if need be, but that was extremely unlikely to be broken by accident. And they succeeded, more or less - the seals held for thousands of years, and only broke now because of Bolas manipulating the situation, not by pure happenstance.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Sign In to post comments