Selecting a mount as a reward

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

Is it possible to select a mount a reward i.e. a mod gives you a pick of any item of your level plus 1 from any player legal resource ?

I would say no.  A mount is a creature, not an item.
I know that in at least one LFR module, a Giant Ant (mount) is one of the bundles. It's a heroic tier (L1-4) module. My thief(wizard class) took it.
I already have that ant
Is it possible to select a mount a reward i.e. a mod gives you a pick of any item of your level plus 1 from any player legal resource ?

No.  Mounts are not magic items.  Even if the reward were simply "Any item of level X", while we can extrapolate from their purchase cost, mounts do not actually have an item level.
I thought you had to be the same level as the creature to buy it. i.e. a hippogriff dreadmount is a lvl 5 critter so do you not have to be level 5 to buy it.
I believe the level is to indicate what level a character has to be in order to use the creature's mount ability (assuming they have taken the mounted combat feat). Unfortunately I don't have my books to hand to double check.
The other problem is that while, yes, you do have to be the same level or higher than the mount to use it, the mounts' cost does not follow the same scheme as magic items.  Also, rules-wise, there is a relationship between item levels and character levels, however item levels and PC/Monster levels are not the same thing.

The only way to take a mount is if it specifically offered through the mod rewards.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Mounts have a creature level.  They do not have an item level.

A hippogriff is a 5th level creature.  It costs the same as a 9th level magic item.

A dire boar is a 6th level creature.  It costs the same as a 6th level magic item.

There's no universal connection between the level a mount is as a creature and its cost when compared to magic item levels.
Thanks for clearing that up for me

The only way to take a mount is if it specifically offered through the mod rewards.

Just to clarify, you mean 'take a mount' as in 'claim it as a found item slot', not 'buy a mount', correct?

As I understand it, I can buy a mount if I have enough cash, regardless of my level, because it is not an item (and therefore does not have an 'item level vs character level' limitation).
Just to clarify, you mean 'take a mount' as in 'claim it as a found item slot', not 'buy a mount', correct?

That's what it sounded like, to me, with one of the "Any item of (level X or less) from these sources" treasure bundles.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
A hippogriff is a 5th level creature.  It costs the same as a 9th level magic item.

A dire boar is a 6th level creature.  It costs the same as a 6th level magic item.

There is an inferrable connection, in that flying mounts have an increased cost; however, the amount of that increase is inconsistent.

Mounts should be mentioned in the next CCG.

"Edison didn't succeed the first time he invented Benjamin Franklin, either." Albert the Alligator, Walt Kelly's Pogo Sunday Book  
The Core Coliseum: test out your 4e builds and fight to the death.

I thought you had to be the same level as the creature to buy it. i.e. a hippogriff dreadmount is a lvl 5 critter so do you not have to be level 5 to buy it.

It may be a 5th level creature but at 4,200 gold it's impossible for a 5th level charactor to buy it because at that level a PC doesn't have that kind of money. So while a PC can buy a mount at any level it's impossible for them to do so until they have the money.  
I have purchased 5 mounts with one of my characters. I waited until I was of the level to purchase it. The rules are unclear at best but that's how I proceeded.
Matt James Freelance Game Designer Loremaster.org

Follow me on Twitter!
At higher tier it gets easier to "get mounts" as a found item slot, for example, I just took a level 18 item on my fighter, sold it for 17k and bought my wyvern for 21k, the 2200g I got from the mod meant it was only 1800g and a found item slot to buy the mount, that works out just fine for the most part.
Blah blah blah