Hang Out With The Pros - Character Optimization IRC Chat

58 posts / 0 new
Last post
=EDIT=

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Hello, Character Optimization. We've got an offer for you that you just can't refuse!

You've seen veteran CharOp people like LordDuskblade, Ytterbium Dragon, Auspex 7and Kilpatds on the boards. You know they tend to know what they're talking about. We're offering you - yes, you! - the unique chance to see their first reactions to new material and the insightful discussions they partake in. In real time, nonetheless! Too good to be true? Just wait, that's not all - we're offering you a chance to participate!

You're officially invited to join ##4e, our friendly community of charoppers, D&D players and other hangarounds located in the channel ##4e at the IRC server irc.freenode.net. We discuss the latest 4e stuff and run occasional playtests online to see them in play. We've also had several ongoing games that offer more substance than just monster slaying goodness.

IRC is basically a chat room, for those who don't know. You connect to a chat server through a program and then pick a channel.

• If you want to check us out without program hassles, you can use the webchat here: Freenode webchat

• Or learn how to use IRC properly, for example here: How to use IRC

• One of the most popular IRC clients is mIRC. Step-by-step instructions

• If you use Firefox, you might want to try ChatZilla - you can then type irc://freenode/##4e to your browser's URL bar. If it gives an error, do /nick Yourname.

• Our Wizards community site can be found here.

Hope to see you there! We're happy to have new peope.

It's true! This channel made my 4e game better!

There was a sig here. It's gone now.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
I've been here since day 1 and this place is awesome.

Also it improved my 4e experience by plenty, including pimping my Bard.
Can people help me too figure out how to get onto it from the Mibbit chat server?
Take a look at my Handbook: The Pet Store: A Familiar Keeper's Handbook Nacht: "Vecna can do ANYTHING given preptime. He's like an undead lich god Batman."
Can people help me too figure out how to get onto it from the Mibbit chat server?

Freenode sadly doesn't support Mibbit.
Managed to make it on today for about half an hour and got some really great advice about Paragon Paths for a pally i'm making.  Thanks guys you're awesome and hope to be on more.
My builds used to be flacid, and unwanted, and this caused me to suffer from low self-esteem.

That's until I discovered ##4e!

I've been using ##4e for just 2 days, and now my builds are bigger, and I have to beat the ladies away with a stick! I know, I know... some of you might be saying, "Hey, Auspex7, aren't you... you know... embarassed to admit you use ##4e?" Well, if you're thinking that, DON'T. You see, ##4e isn't just for people who want to fix builds that are inadequate! It's also for people who want to... you know... add to builds that are already performing, many of which have ample burst potential!

If you're thinking about trying ##4e, and haven't done it yet because you think people will assume things about you, never fear! There are lots of people JUST LIKE YOU who are already enjoying the rewards of using ##4e!

Well...

What are you waiting for?! Join the MILLIONS of satisfied users of ##4e TODAY!

You'll be glad you did! I sure am!
And Auspex7 is not alone!

I have been using ##4e for a week now, and my builds never fail to satisfy!

You, too, can see your builds grow to proportions you never thought possible!
And Auspex7 is not alone!

I have been using ##4e for a week now, and my builds never fail to satisfy!

You, too, can see your builds grow to proportions you never thought possible!

It's true! I've witnessed first hand how Alpha has gone from a wallflower to being a ladies' man as his DPR has increased to substantially larger dimensions!

Operators are standing by. CALL NOW!
I'm glad to see satisfied users spreading the word of the world-changing effects of ##4e.
It's true! I've witnessed first hand how Alpha has gone from a wallflower to being a ladies' man as his DPR has increased to substantially larger dimensions!

If only people had some kind of "forum" to discuss character optimization in.

I've been using ##4e for just 2 days, and now my builds are bigger, and I have to beat the ladies away with a stick!

About that.  Given the weak feat and power support for staves you'd be far better off trading that stick for a spiked chain.  Think whirling barbarian with Spiked Chain Training.

Or a fighter with dual strike if you prefer to multi-mark your targets.

If you know what I mean...and I think you do.

If only people had some kind of "forum" to discuss character optimization in.

And if only people would have had a telegraph, so they didn't need a telephone.

Or mail so they wouldn't need email.

We don't have to do this, though. Don't be my frienemy. Hug me.
I have to report, that my build performance has been enhanced by ##4e. Now, my builds are more potent than ever!
Just remember...if you experience a battle that lasts longer than four hours, contact a doctor.
Yeah, your party can probably use the healing after four hours of constant battle.
Now, as we all know, tsuyo has enough builds for everyone.  And for some left over.  And you might be thinking, "Tsuyo, brother!  I feel you in that department.  But what can ##4e do for me?"  Well first off I will smack you for calling me brother, and then I will tell you this: there's always room for improvement.  I thought I knew everthing, and then I went on ##4e.  BAM!  Readied actions start bouncing in my head.

Go ##4e for the best time, every time.
On the CO IRC, generally as TorpedoFish.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
You're the straightest shooter I know on these boards. You don't mince words about your opinions, and I respect that about you. The whole fiasco you described in the last State of the CO Forum was particularly enlightening (and kind of disappointing with regards to how they see us).
56868168 wrote:
Ah, Tsuyo. When your post isn't one sentence long full of asterisks, you have much wisdom to share with us .
From the IRC:
(19:52) RuinsFate: You know, I was gonna agree with something PalOn said... but I think I'm just gonna through my lot in with tsuyo's sudden train-wreck grade interjection. (01:45) Nausicaa: yes your rage is a righteous rage :D (01:45) Nausicaa: righteous rage of torpedo
My sci-fi writing.
Now, as we all know, tsuyo has enough builds for everyone.  And for some left over.  And you might be thinking, "Tsuyo, brother!  I feel you in that department.  But what can ##4e do for me?"  Well first off I will smack you for calling me brother, and then I will tell you this: there's always room for improvement.  I thought I knew everthing, and then I went on ##4e.  BAM!  Readied actions start bouncing in my head.

Go ##4e for the best time, every time.

Brother Tsuyo, help a brother out! Do you think it's more optimal to polish my beloved bastard sword so that it's glory might dazzle mine enemies, or to smudge the bright steel to remove the flash, for a more sneaky approach?
It helped my game so much, I'm a subscriber! :D

To this thread...
Brother Tsuyo, help a brother out! Do you think it's more optimal to polish my beloved bastard sword so that it's glory might dazzle mine enemies, or to smudge the bright steel to remove the flash, for a more sneaky approach?

WHAT'D I TELL YOU ABOUT CALLING ME THAT?  *SMACK!*

And if you're spending all your time polishing your own broadsword, you certainly aren't busy sticking it into anyone else.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
You're the straightest shooter I know on these boards. You don't mince words about your opinions, and I respect that about you. The whole fiasco you described in the last State of the CO Forum was particularly enlightening (and kind of disappointing with regards to how they see us).
56868168 wrote:
Ah, Tsuyo. When your post isn't one sentence long full of asterisks, you have much wisdom to share with us .
From the IRC:
(19:52) RuinsFate: You know, I was gonna agree with something PalOn said... but I think I'm just gonna through my lot in with tsuyo's sudden train-wreck grade interjection. (01:45) Nausicaa: yes your rage is a righteous rage :D (01:45) Nausicaa: righteous rage of torpedo
My sci-fi writing.

WHAT'D I TELL YOU ABOUT CALLING ME THAT?  *SMACK!*

And if you're spending all your time polishing your own broadsword, you certainly aren't busy sticking it into anyone else.

That is cold. :<

But more importantly! My bastard sword has increased by two dice size categories since joining ##4. I know that the female adventurers are keeping one eye on it, these days. 
When presented with the riddle of the broadsword, LDB's reaction was, "Wait... broadsword.. singular? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ***** ****ING *****, HAVE I TAUGHT YOU NOTHING?! GET ANOTHER ONE BEFORE YOU ASK WHAT TO DO WITH THE FIRST ONE!!! ****! ****!"

In related news, puppies were kicked.
Don't forget about us orb users out here who need optimization as well!!!
When presented with the riddle of the broadsword, LDB's reaction was, "Wait... broadsword.. singular? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ***** ****ING *****, HAVE I TAUGHT YOU NOTHING?! GET ANOTHER ONE BEFORE YOU ASK WHAT TO DO WITH THE FIRST ONE!!! ****! ****!"

Exactly. This, a thousand times over.
Don't forget about us orb users out here who need optimization as well!!!

Those of us who play with orbs generally don't admit it in public.
Those of us who play with orbs generally don't admit it in public.

Really? I mean, I make sure it's common knowledge whereever common is found. Or knowledge. Or orbs.
I simply love the channel... logging in later after i've finished to digest easter's feast :D

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/14.jpg)

In the puppy kickers defense, the puppy was being a dick.

www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/12/03/

Blah blah blah
All I heard was talk about 3.5 and anime, and then I got kicked Frown
So uh... what, are we supposed to sit and not talk about anything unless it's 4E?

It wasn't like anyone came in and brought up a 4E related topic. Is the channel just supposed to exist in a complete void until someone brings something up 4E related so the twenty or so Charop guys can jump on it in a raging fisticuffs match for who gets to say what, which then suddenly drops down to complete silence after all possible avenues of discussion have been reached?

The ##4E channel will discuss a lot of 4E related stuff, but we're actual people with other interests who will talk about those interests when there's a dearth of 4E related material to discuss. If you can't handle that, then maybe the channel isn't for you. I'm sure you could find a crazy scientist willing to direct a satellite to neem 4E related information directly into your brain so you never have to interact with anyone else or be threatened by the existence of interests which are not your own. Then you could just sit at home getting 4E neemed into your brain all day and not have to bother.

Also, I'd like to point out that the Ops of the channel are typically not very series- kicks will occur in response to the occasional joke or when people ask for it- but this isn't unique to the channel, because it happens in almost every IRC channel. Your best bet is to turn autorejoin on in whatever client you're using, in which case a kick is a momentary distruption, sort of like how nudges worked in the previous version of MSN messenger. A blip on the radar that goes "Huh, well that don got someone's attention."

We do discuss fourth edition related material quite frequently, but we also discuss other material. We are typically not series if there is kicking from the channel involved, and it is not something to get angry over. With that in mind, if you still think that you cannot handle diversity or people with their own interests, goals, and sensibilities, then perhaps this is not the channel for you.
Oh Content, where art thou?
Whoa whoa, hold your horses, I wasn't being serious, nor was I angry. Sorry if you got that impression.

If you are looking to find a hot build tonight, nothing will outperform ##4e!

Since I joined ##4e, nailing builds has never been easier!
I got kicked last week for saying "DPR." It was funny, and we all knew it was a joke.

Most of the 4e conversation happens when new dragon articles come out. When big new books come out (PHBs, power source books, etc.), the channel floods with discussions and build ideas on the new material. In between those things, however, we like to talk about other stuff and interact with fellow charoppers.

Also, Kerrus, your whatever auto-correct you're using for your internet browser is totally busted. It changed "serious" to "series" every single time.
I got kicked last week for saying "DPR." It was funny, and we all knew it was a joke.

Most of the 4e conversation happens when new dragon articles come out. When big new books come out (PHBs, power source books, etc.), the channel floods with discussions and build ideas on the new material. In between those things, however, we like to talk about other stuff and interact with fellow charoppers.

Also, Kerrus, your whatever auto-correct you're using for your internet browser is totally busted. It changed "serious" to "series" every single time.

I said DPR and didn't get kicked.  They must love me best.
It's because YD types with an accent!
Is anyone else having trouble connecting?
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
56868168 wrote:
From the IRC:
My sci-fi writing.
no?  there's at least 20 people in there right now.
Never knew about this until today.

Should be interesting, especially with the updates to the character creator dropping at some point today! 
Yay updates!