Dragon 385 - Channel Divinity: Moradin

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png   Dragon 385
Channel Divinity: Moradin

By Michael Haneline

Today in Dragon, we get details on three sacred callings of Moradin, as well as new feats, magic items, and a paragon path for followers of the Soul Forger!

With his hammer and his pick, Moradin struck the primordial earth and formed mountains. With his hammer and the Soul Forge, he fashioned the firstborn dwarves from bedrock, iron, and diamonds. With his hammer and his tenacity, he struck down each primordial that would think to destroy his creations. And so, the dwarves and men and other peoples of the world were inspired. They learned the value of patience, stoicism, loyalty, and honor. They discovered mining, smithing, and the crafts of the artisan. The creations became creators, and the Soul Forger was pleased.

Talk about this article here.

385_cd_moradin.jpg

Update: Here is a list of small issues I am aware of and will request to have fixed in the compilation:
1. The 5 ongoing damage in Refire the Forge was supposed to be radiant and fire and be (save ends).
2. The "level 21" in the Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness should be "level 26" like in the pricing.
3. The Dwarven Thrower should do +1d6 per crit.

PS: This is my first contribution to Dragon magazine. I am eager to get whatever feedback I can on my article!

By the way, here is a fun suggested build using material from the article and PHB3! The SoulHammer Hurler is a devotee of Moradin who can cast range and area prayers, heal and buff allies, and throw a giant hammer at his enemies!

Thor_p193.jpg

The SoulHammer Hurler
Class: Hybrid Cleric | Seeker of Moradin
Seeker's Bond: Spiritbond
Suggested Races: Human, Dwarf, or Kalashtar
Primary Ability Score: Wisdom (18+)
Secondary Ability Score: Strength (15+)
Tertiary Ability Score: Charisma (13+)
At-Will Powers: Sonnlinor's Hammer and/or Sacred Flame, Biting Swarm (rename "Staggering Avalanche")
Encounter Powers: 1- Divine Glow, 3- Winter Spirit or Escaping Shot,  7- Windstorm Strike
Daily Powers: 1- Beacon of Hope, 5- Corralling Shot, 9- Flame Strike
Utility Powers: 2- Stone Spirit Ward, 6- Bastion of Health, 10- Burrowing Stride or Word of Vigor
Recommended Feat Selections:
Radiant Hammer (better healer): Symbol of the Sonnlinor (Maul), Hybrid Talent (Channel Divinity: Healer's Mercy), Armor Proficiency (chainmail), Shared Vitality
Vengeful Hammer (better attacker): Symbol of the Sonnlinor (Maul), Hybrid Talent (True Seeker's Bond), Divine Channeler (Abjure Undead), Strengthened Bond
Required Weapon: Dwarven Thrower Maul
Suggested Paragon Path: Soul-Forged

I'm really looking forward to this article as my character is Madrik Forgehammer, dwarven cleric of Moradin.

I'm a bit disappointed that there won't be any new, thematic powers, but mainly I'm hoping for a lot of fluff (similar to the Bahamut article long ago).

Hooray for a new paragon path! Nice, that will make it a three-way choice between Hammer of Moradin, Warpriest and something else of Moradin.

Can we get any mini spoilers a day in advance? How many pages does the article feature? And is there new dwarven character artwork?

I'm really looking forward to this article as my character is Madrik Forgehammer, dwarven cleric of Moradin.

I'm a bit disappointed that there won't be any new, thematic powers, but mainly I'm hoping for a lot of fluff (similar to the Bahamut article long ago).

The Bahamut article a while back was when articles were about twice as long. Now articles are limited to 1500-2000 words mostly, so authors can only put so much in a single article.

Hooray for a new paragon path! Nice, that will make it a three-way choice between Hammer of Moradin, Warpriest and something else of Moradin.

Can we get any mini spoilers a day in advance? How many pages does the article feature? And is there new dwarven character artwork?

I can't really discuss anything until the article is published because of the NDA. But you'll see soon!
I didn't know there was a word limit these days and thought it is just due to authors having to stick to deadlines.

It's been a nice month for D&D dwarves with Hammerfast, shield fighters today (my wife's dwarven fighter will love it) and Moradin tomorrow.

Article is up! I am aware of the mistake with ommitting crit from Dwarven Thrower. a d6 per plus should be added by compilation.
Ok, seriously good article. Strikes a perfect balance being fluffy, having good strong options, yet not being overpowered in any way. Well done!
There was a sig here. It's gone now.
Giving Clerics a melee At-Will based on Wisdom thats also a melee basic attack, as well as throwing Execution Axes and Mordenkrads will make you a hero to a lot of people. Also nice is using Hammers, Axes and Picks as Divine Implements.
...whatever
Ok, seriously good article. Strikes a perfect balance being fluffy, having good strong options, yet not being overpowered in any way. Well done!

Thankyou!

Giving Clerics a melee At-Will based on Wisdom thats also a melee basic attack, as well as throwing Execution Axes and Mordenkrads will make you a hero to a lot of people. Also nice is using Hammers, Axes and Picks as Divine Implements.

Not a hero, sir. Just a man doing what a man's gotta do. :P
Very nice article! The Great Carver would be proud of you.

The paragon path is very thematic and useful, too.

I'm a bit undecided about the cleric at-will power.
It's a nice addition to existing powers. However, the battle cleric build seems to become more and more redundant. Why would anybody split their attribute points between strength and wisdom when you can use wisdom to attack at range and at melee?

I have never heard of the Kuldar and Nalauk before (Sonnlinor are mentioned in a book). So this is a very nice addition to the fluff surrounding the Soul Forger.

And my favourite part has to be a certain feat. I love feats that are useful out of combat, and Pupil of the All-Father certainly is (one could argue that it's also useful in combat - at least indirectly). When I roleplay my cleric working the Heart Forge in Hammerfast day after day, I can back up this accumulated expertise in crafting items. This feat will find the way onto my character sheet with the next level.

Ah, never mind. I forgot certain prerequisites when outfitting one's battle cleric with armor and shields.
Wow, am I the only person that saw the Revenant Belt?

Nope. You should see the Char Op post on my article.
I can't get into details because of the NDA, but the belt I originally wrote up was slightly different. R&D changed it, and that is their perogative in the end. /shrug
I don't think its as bad as people are making it out to be, though. Even with the DR and revenant racial ability, being at negative hitpoints is a bad place to be. (Though resist 30 is alot, I will admit.)
Brilliant article. I hope that Mr. Haneline gets to write more if he wishes, and I'm not just saying that because the article has given me loads of options for a dwarf cleric/runepriest that I'd like to try. It has both fluff and crunch, and it leaves me wanting more. Well done!

I do have a question about the Soulforged's powers, because they are all only keyed off of Wisdom. This works well for avengers, Wis based clerics, and those invokers willing and able to get into melee, but it is less attractive for runepriests, Str based clerics, or paladins. This is a bit of a problem, because the fluff makes more sense for runepriests, Str based clerics, or paladins. It is easy enough to houserule it to key off of Str, Wis, or Cha (which is what I'd do if I ran it), but I am curious as to why only Wis was picked.

Congrats on the article, its a good one.

Only minor complain is it would have been nice to see one of the avenger prayers as an invoker prayer (seems like it would work for either class in general).
Brilliant article. I hope that Mr. Haneline gets to write more if he wishes, and I'm not just saying that because the article has given me loads of options for a dwarf cleric/runepriest that I'd like to try. It has both fluff and crunch, and it leaves me wanting more. Well done!

I do have a question about the Soulforged's powers, because they are all only keyed off of Wisdom. This works well for avengers, Wis based clerics, and those invokers willing and able to get into melee, but it is less attractive for runepriests, Str based clerics, or paladins. This is a bit of a problem, because the fluff makes more sense for runepriests, Str based clerics, or paladins. It is easy enough to houserule it to key off of Str, Wis, or Cha (which is what I'd do if I ran it), but I am curious as to why only Wis was picked.

Powers and Paths in the article are wisdom-based because Dwarves have a bonus to wisdom for having such a pious culture, and I wanted to make something to reflect that, something different than what is out there. For those who play strength-based devotees of Moradin, there are already two paragon paths (Hammer of Moradin and Firstborn of Moradin), so I decided on wisdom-based features.

However, I tried to design it to be a strong PP for any divine class (except Rune Priests, as I did not have info on them at the time). Note that the weapon powers are melee or ranged, so they are easily usable regardless of role. Also note that strength-based divine classes (some paladins, some clerics, runepriests) all have wisdom as a secondadry stat, and it certainly would not hurt your character to keep your secondary tied with your primary (especially if you are playing a +wis race).

So the Soul Forged paragon path can be entered by and is viable for:
-Devoted or Shielding Cleric (probably using a throwing hammer and the Symbol of Sonnlinor feat).
-Any Invoker (defintely using a throwing hammer and the Symbol of Sonnlinor feat).
-Any Avenger that takes Moradin's Resolve.
-Ardent or Virtuous Paladin who keeps Wis tied with primary stat (not unusual for +wis races).
-Runepriest or any other class that keeps wisdom as its highest stat or tied for highest and takes the Divine Channeler feat from Divine Power (which works nicely with the AP ability of SoulForged).

Thanks for answering my question so quickly. It's much appreciated.

No problem. I am quite excited about getting published. I've been reading everything anyone has to say about my work.
And to answer your other question, yes, there will be more work from me in Dragon.
I can't say what, but I assure you that you haven't seen the last of me!

No problem. I am quite excited about getting published. I've been reading everything anyone has to say about my work.
And to answer your other question, yes, there will be more work from me in Dragon.
I can't say what, but I assure you that you haven't seen the last of me!

I don't care too much as long as it features dwarves, Moradin, Hammerfast, powers to kill giants, feats to smash orcs and new potions (Ale of Blood Rush giving temporary HP). Laughing
This is a pretty spiffy article.  I don't have any characters currently that can use it, but it's good stuff, and I can see some of it seeing use at some point.  I especially like the dwarven thrower.  A friend and I were discussing the idea of a character that used an execution axe and the new headsman's chop feat to go after victims of a tripmonkey i'm playing.  When I noticed tunnel stalker wouldn't let you perform sneak executions, I thought getting a handaxe and grounding shot to do beheadings at a distance might be just as fun.  Being able to hurl an executioners axe would totally make up for the lack of sneak attack, and I kinda want to play that. 

One problem I have is that dwarven thrower is kinda an awkward name since dwarven throwers are hand slot items that let you make a ranged attack and increase thrown weapon damage.  I can just see the ranger wielding two dwarven thrower waraxes and trying to explain that his dwarven throwers give him a +2 bonus when he throws his dwarven throwers.
This is the happy swamp. Love it. I am red/blue, I think logically and act impulsively.

I can't get into details because of the NDA, but the belt I originally wrote up was slightly different. R&D changed it, and that is their perogative in the end. /shrug
I don't think its as bad as people are making it out to be, though. Even with the DR and revenant racial ability, being at negative hitpoints is a bad place to be. (Though resist 30 is alot, I will admit.)

I suggest you look at the Voldemonte build in my .sig. =)

Resist 30 makes the build even more unkillable, without restoring to the higher levels of cheese.
i love it. i had been expecting more cleric powers, but it is an article that targets all divine followers of Moradin and not just the clerics.

edit: a point, Erathis is also a goddess of creation. But, this is why in my homebrew Moradin and Erathis stand side by side--they share the domain of creation together as faithul partners. but then, that's just homebrew stuff.
This is a pretty spiffy article.  I don't have any characters currently that can use it, but it's good stuff, and I can see some of it seeing use at some point.  I especially like the dwarven thrower.  A friend and I were discussing the idea of a character that used an execution axe and the new headsman's chop feat to go after victims of a tripmonkey i'm playing.  When I noticed tunnel stalker wouldn't let you perform sneak executions, I thought getting a handaxe and grounding shot to do beheadings at a distance might be just as fun.  Being able to hurl an executioners axe would totally make up for the lack of sneak attack, and I kinda want to play that. 

One problem I have is that dwarven thrower is kinda an awkward name since dwarven throwers are hand slot items that let you make a ranged attack and increase thrown weapon damage.  I can just see the ranger wielding two dwarven thrower waraxes and trying to explain that his dwarven throwers give him a +2 bonus when he throws his dwarven throwers.

"Dwarven Thrower" and "Stone Cunning" were homages to previous editions.
I really like the new cleric at-will!  Giving wis-clerics an actual weapon attack is pretty cool.

One thing you might want to fix in the compilation, though -- on the dwarven thrower: "Effect: You deal 2 extra damage per plus of the weapon."  Wouldn't that be more clear as "you deal extra damage equal to twice the weapon's enhancement bonus"?
Dwarven Thrower is seriously a bad idea. Executioner's Axes and Mordenkrads are a lot better than Greatbows (besides range, which is rarely an issue).
Very nice article! The Great Carver would be proud of you.

The paragon path is very thematic and useful, too.

I'm a bit undecided about the cleric at-will power.
It's a nice addition to existing powers. However, the battle cleric build seems to become more and more redundant. Why would anybody split their attribute points between strength and wisdom when you can use wisdom to attack at range and at melee?

Well -- I recently created a cleric character who dumped strength (because I wanted to boost her healing ability and keep her out of melee).  I found myself looking longingly at some of the strength based cleric attacks that she would be totally ineffective with.
Dwarven Thrower is seriously a bad idea. Executioner's Axes and Mordenkrads are a lot better than Greatbows (besides range, which is rarely an issue).

Maybe, but a Dwarven Thrower can't have any of the nifty bow or other ranged weapon enchantments.  Also some might argue that the Greatbow was already outclassed by the Superior Crossbow (and its +3 proficiency makes it viable compared to crags and executioners).

Finally, I think you're really underestimating range.  With over 4x as much range a guy with a Greatbow can put himself practically out of range to most enemy retaliations, while the guy with a Dwarven Thrower will pretty much always be within at least charging distance.

Maybe, but a Dwarven Thrower can't have any of the nifty bow or other ranged weapon enchantments.  Also some might argue that the Greatbow was already outclassed by the Superior Crossbow (and its +3 proficiency makes it viable compared to crags and executioners).

Finally, I think you're really underestimating range.  With over 4x as much range a guy with a Greatbow can put himself practically out of range to most enemy retaliations, while the guy with a Dwarven Thrower will pretty much always be within at least charging distance.

and a Seeker isn't likely to charge, neither is an immobilized/slowed Fighter/Avenger/Barbarian/Runepriest or anyone else using a 2hander. terrain and enemy positions dictate the tactical advantage of a charge (assuming the character isn't in heavy armor without fleet footed).

not to mention being granted a ranged basic attack by an ally.
I just wanted to post to say great article!

It is the perfect balance of story and stats! My three dwarf characters will all benefit from this article, both thematically and statistically.

Keep up the good work! 
and a Seeker isn't likely to charge, neither is an immobilized/slowed Fighter/Avenger/Barbarian/Runepriest or anyone else using a 2hander. terrain and enemy positions dictate the tactical advantage of a charge (assuming the character isn't in heavy armor without fleet footed).

I meant that a PC using a Dwarven Thrower is in range to be charged by monsters.  Where as one using a Greatbow can be far enough of way as to make themselves nearly a non-target.
I posted this on the thread on the Optimization board, thought I'd repost it here to get some opinions:

I really liked this article.  I am actually putting together a Dwarf Avenger, and this will work perfectly for me.  I like both the flavor and the crunch - good stuff without being out of balance.

I'm very happy to see the author here on this thread - first because I think it's great that you're participating in the community, and second because I did have questions about the level 16 feature of the Paragon Path.  The wording seems a little funny to me, for two reasons.

First, the "if you use Moradin's Resolve with an attack..." clause is a little unclear to me.  I assume this means that you have activated that Channel Divinity power, but does it require you to be attacking a large creature?  If you're not, I think you're not really "using" the power with that attack.  This would be a fairly significant limitation, if so.

Second, the extra 1d10 damage and the stun seem to have two different durations.  The way I'm reading it, the attack that you're doing does not get the extra 1d10 damage, but subsequent attacks do.  The stun-on-crit effect seems to trigger on the attack in question, but not subsequent attacks.  I'm not sure this was intended either.

So, the way I'm reading it seems really wonky:

Round 1:
(Minor) Moradin's Resolve
(Standard) Soulforge Hammering.  Stun on crit, but not 1d10 extra damage.
(Minor) Soulforge Hammering followup.  Stun on crit and 1d10 extra damage.

Round 2:
(Standard) Normal at-will attack.  Stun on crit and 1d10 extra damage.

Round 3:
(Standard) Normal at-will attack.  No stun, but add 1d10 extra damage.

Round 4:
No more bonuses.

It seems like the wording should be something like:

While your Moradin's Resolve Channel Divinity power is active, any attack that uses a weapon under the effects of your weapon of the dwarf-father power deals 1d10 extra fire and radiant damage.  If this attack is a critical hit, the target is also stunned until the end of your next turn.

Thank you for your opinion!
However, I disagree strongly. Throwable fullblades and greatspears have been around for a while and I haven't heard of them destorying game balance. I just thought the idea of throwing a giant hammer at someone Thor-style was awesome, so I did it. Most of the feedback I've gotten on it has been VERY positive, but if you don't like, I can't force you to use it!

I posted this on the thread on the Optimization board, thought I'd repost it here to get some opinions:

I really liked this article.  I am actually putting together a Dwarf Avenger, and this will work perfectly for me.  I like both the flavor and the crunch - good stuff without being out of balance.

I'm very happy to see the author here on this thread - first because I think it's great that you're participating in the community, and second because I did have questions about the level 16 feature of the Paragon Path.  The wording seems a little funny to me, for two reasons.

First, the "if you use Moradin's Resolve with an attack..." clause is a little unclear to me.  I assume this means that you have activated that Channel Divinity power, but does it require you to be attacking a large creature?  If you're not, I think you're not really "using" the power with that attack.  This would be a fairly significant limitation, if so.

Second, the extra 1d10 damage and the stun seem to have two different durations.  The way I'm reading it, the attack that you're doing does not get the extra 1d10 damage, but subsequent attacks do.  The stun-on-crit effect seems to trigger on the attack in question, but not subsequent attacks.  I'm not sure this was intended either.

So, the way I'm reading it seems really wonky:

Round 1:
(Minor) Moradin's Resolve
(Standard) Soulforge Hammering.  Stun on crit, but not 1d10 extra damage.

Round 2:
(Standard) Normal at-will attack.  Stun on crit and 1d10 extra damage.

Round 3:
(Standard) Normal at-will attack.  No stun, but add 1d10 extra damage.

Round 4:
No more bonuses.

It seems like the wording should be something like:

While your Moradin's Resolve Channel Divinity power is active, any attack that uses a weapon under the effects of your weapon of the dwarf-father power deals 1d10 extra fire and radiant damage.  If this attack is a critical hit, the target is also stunned until the end of your next turn.

The extra damage is supposed to be active when the bonus to attack rolls is active. My original wording was very similiar to what you suggested, but R&D felt it was neccesary to change. There's not much I can do about it at this point, unfortunately.

ERRATA: The belt should be 0 or fewer.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I just thought the idea of throwing a giant hammer at someone Thor-style was awesome,

And so it is.  My Dwarven Defender has been waiting for one of these since AV1.  You sir have earned the eternal gratitude of Bolvar of Azgrin.

The extra damage is supposed to be active when the bonus to attack rolls is active. My original wording was very similiar to what you suggested, but R&D felt it was neccesary to change. There's not much I can do about it at this point, unfortunately.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification.  Did you intend for the damage/stun to work only against large creatures (against whom you get the hit bonus), or against all creatures as long as you have Moradin's Resovle active?

Awesome, thanks for the clarification.  Did you intend for the damage/stun to work only against large creatures (against whom you get the hit bonus), or against all creatures as long as you have Moradin's Resovle active?

The extra radiant fire damage and stun are supposed to work against all creatures, not just large.
Great article! I am officially jealous, and will have to get off my lazy butt and work on a submission of my own.

Can I ask how hard it was to get your submission approved?

I submitted a Class Acts: Paladin article over a year ago now, and just never heard back. :/

And thank you for Symbol of the Sonnlinor feat! One of the things in my article was a feat that let you turn your weapon into a holy symbol--Paladins desperately needed this feat!

-Malk
Great article! I am officially jealous, and will have to get off my lazy butt and work on a submission of my own.

Can I ask how hard it was to get your submission approved?

I submitted a Class Acts: Paladin article over a year ago now, and just never heard back. :/

And thank you for Symbol of the Sonnlinor feat! One of the things in my article was a feat that let you turn your weapon into a holy symbol--Paladins desperately needed this feat!

-Malk

I started sending in pitches to Dragon from the first digital issue. At first I sent a new idea about once a month, then a few times a month, then I just started including ~10 pitches per email I sent in. I sent Dragon pitches for approximitely 60 different ideas before I finally got an email from the editor to the effect of "I like this idea, this idea, this idea, and this idea. First, lets pursue this idea. If you do good, we'll do this idea next, etc."
I will say it seemed that only my pitches that had an interesting story hook in them got noticed. For example "I want to write new powers for assassins" would get passed over, but "I'd like to write about an elite religious order known as the Soul Forged knighthood, a divine order devoted to Moradin" is much more likely to get noticed.
Please see this months editorial by Chris Youngs. It has a lot of useful information.
Awesome!  That is exactly the info I was looking for.

Thank you for granting me (and my wife who writes everything with me) a second wind on this effort.
Most of the feedback I've gotten on it has been VERY positive

Well I'm disappointed Mainly because I was hoping for some thematic powers for non-divine classes (I've got a dwarven barbarian who worships Moradin and a kobold druid who worships Moradin). That said, I do quite like this article. I won't personally find much immediate use for it, but the more articles we get like this the better IMO. I really appreciate the fluff that was added.

My revenant has died because I was at exactly 1 quarter of my Hit Points and got ganked by a few enemies. I should probably gloat less when I get to negative and still keep standing.

That said, it did create some awesome scenes where the players had to bring me back to life through less than legitimate means.