Convention Special RPGA Reward Cards

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
I can see making these available only to convention attendees early on, but I don't think these should be limited to them forever.  Not everyone's work schedule allows them to attend Gen Con or DDXP.  Is there any chance that these will be made more freely available in the future?  Say a year or two after the convention at which they were released?  That way, the people who attended the conventions still enjoy the benefit of having been able to benefit from these convention special cards and level up their characters appropriately for a year or two.  Considering what's available now, I doubt that everyone will start playing Orcs just because they become available with Goliaths, Warforged, and Minotaurs as generally-available options.  And even with two more types of spellscars to choose from, I doubt we'll be seeing too many people sacrificing a feat for them except for RP-driven purposes.  Thoughts?
I'm all for keeping special things special.  They're an enticement to come to the con, which takes a lot of time, manpower, and money.  Having a special draw helps keep the cons alive.  I say leave them as is.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Looking Back:  Depends on what "deal" was made with the con for rewards.  If, at the time, it was contracted as an "exclusive reward," then little can/should be done to make them generally available.  (I would expect WotC to adhere to arrangements they have made in the past.)

Looking Ahead:  I like the current system - going to a con gets you the goods early, but everyone gets access in the end-of-year PDF release.  I'm all for keeping something "special" for conventions, but "special" can mean "early" instead of "exclusive."  My understanding is that LFR 4e is meant to be as "inclusive" as possible - - just ask any warforged in Faerun.  ;) 

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director

The orcs racial allowing them to spend a healing surge (Warriors Surge) on an attack is actually really good. 
LFR 4e is meant to be as "inclusive" as possible - - just ask any warforged in Faerun.  ;) 

Wait... Warforged are legal???!!!
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
LFR 4e is meant to be as "inclusive" as possible - - just ask any warforged in Faerun.  ;) 

What? When did this happen? Are you sure warforged are a legal race in LFR?

The RPGA Character Creation Guide lists the EPG as a player resource allowing "All except dragonmarked rules and backgrounds".  As Warforged are neither a dragonmarked rule nor a background, they're legal for any RPGA game, including LFR.

t~

He might be confusing them with shardminds, who are also a construct-type race and are legal after the release of PH3.

It's easy to get the two mixed up.

The RPGA Character Creation Guide lists the EPG as a player resource allowing "All except dragonmarked rules and backgrounds".  As Warforged are neither a dragonmarked rule nor a background, they're legal for any RPGA game, including LFR.

t~

There should probably be some sticky note explaining the "are warforged legal?" running joke that lurks on this message board.

On second thought, scratch that idea, the joke's not funny if it has to be explained.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
I think we had briefly discussed putting it in the FAQ but decided that it was better to leave the runnign joke without official explanation.
Meh, I've even seen the joke before.  Must have been tired when I was reading this thread the first time.

t~
On second thought, scratch that idea, the joke's not funny if it has to be explained.

QED.

"Edison didn't succeed the first time he invented Benjamin Franklin, either." Albert the Alligator, Walt Kelly's Pogo Sunday Book  
The Core Coliseum: test out your 4e builds and fight to the death.

QED.

it's funny to the ones it doesn't have to be explained to.
Blah blah blah

has pretty much started ignoring this line of reasoning. After 2 years this has gotten old but its nice to see the new people having an opportunity to enlighten the masses

No, it's really not, IMHO.

"Edison didn't succeed the first time he invented Benjamin Franklin, either." Albert the Alligator, Walt Kelly's Pogo Sunday Book  
The Core Coliseum: test out your 4e builds and fight to the death.

No, it's really not, IMHO.

Ok the, how about this, like all jokes, it's funny to some.  To the rest, who don't find it funny, oh well, it's not offensive or vulgar so it's not going to go away =)
Blah blah blah

I guess some people are humorless. Just like Warforged, which are apparently legal in LFR after all. LOL

I guess some people are humorless. Just like Warforged, which are apparently legal in LFR after all. LOL

Warforged aren't humorless!  I think you must be thinking of shardminds.
Warforged aren't humorless!  I think you must be thinking of shardminds.

I think the plural should be shardmind. Like anteplope.

"I am shardmind. We are shardmind. Apparently we wrap tattered cloth around ourselves for no reason."
Come check out and add to the LFR Wiki, part of the Forgotten Realms Wiki.
Well of course! If everyone saw how awesome and glittery we were, people would try to steal our crystals!

WTF is an ateplope?!  And how many XP is it worth?

WTF is an ateplope?!  And how many XP is it worth?

Here is a picture of one. I think the glowing eyes give it away as some planar creature. It looks to be regenerating so it can gore the hunter when he is not looking.

www.hunttrader.com/photo/1st-anteplope?c...