Dungeon 176 - Codex of Betrayal: Geryon, the Broken Beast

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png    Dungeon 176
Codex of Betrayal:
Geryon, the Broken Beast

By Ari Marmell

Today in Dungeon, we get details, history and stats for the mighty Geryon, the greatest supporter of Asmodeus in his overthrow of The Nameless One, who now resides in exile for reasons unknown.

“Well do I know,” spake the Rebellious One,
“of the hatred you bear our weakling god. And
well do I know of the power you call your own.
Join with me and mine, for I would welcome
such power and such hatred.”

Long did Geryon gaze with many eyes
upon his brother angel. “And we know, too,
of your ambitions, but we share them not.
Why, then, should our hatred of our lord
inspire fealty to one such as you?” asked he.

“I can offer you power such as you
have never known, a realm of possibilities
undreamt of. You shall sit at my right hand,
that none might gainsay you.”

“This we have had,” spake Geryon,
“at the side of our lord, and its taste has soured.
For it, as all joys, turns to ash in our mouth
and smoke in our hands. What think you
that you can offer to such as us?”

Then did Asmodeus offer broken Geryon
a smile that would some day damn a million
souls. “Only what our feeble master never could,
Brother. I offer to make you whole.”

— From Chapter 3, verse 3, of
“A Chronicle of Bloodstained Heavens,”
from part two of the Codex of Betrayal.

Talk about this article here.

176_cob_geryon.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I'm rather fond the artwork for this article.  Although I have to wonder, if he is stripped of a lot of power and is still a level 30 Solo, what was he like before?  The biggest creature we have stats for is Bahumat, and he is only 6 levels higher.

Edit: Spelling.
After reading the article, I felt sorry for Geryon.  Despite being montrously evil, he's led a fairly tragic existence.  I loved it.

Tim Eagon My DDI Articles.

DDEX2-8 Foulness Beneath Mulmaster

Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon

I enjoy how it lays out some history and hooks for adventures, but they whole history of hell in 4.0 needs to be better defined. The blood war is now over, but in 4.0 who exactly was fighting it, and why and where? The article alludes to a "Rebellion" against "He who was" at some point after the Dawn War. Also, how exactly are the Nine Hells a prison if so many devils keep getting summoned or kicked out of Hell?

I enjoy how it lays out some history and hooks for adventures, but they whole history of hell in 4.0 needs to be better defined. The blood war is now over, but in 4.0 who exactly was fighting it, and why and where? The article alludes to a "Rebellion" against "He who was" at some point after the Dawn War. Also, how exactly are the Nine Hells a prison if so many devils keep getting summoned or kicked out of Hell?

The devils have complete control over their domain I suspect, it's not a prison for them as much as it is a prison for tortured souls (or at least I don't think it's a prison for them, the Plane Above has an entire chapter on the Nine Hells, hopefully that will detail that point more). The war mentioned in the article was Asmodeus' rebellion against the God that created him IIRC (which in 4E canon he slew and took the power of to become a God).

I'm hoping the Plane Above builds on this a lot though.

I would love to have one of these articles every month.  It has been too long.  It leaves us with some loose ends though as mentioned above.

I'm rather fond the artwork for this article.  Although I have to wonder, if he is stripped of a lot of power and is still a level 30 Solo, what was he like before?  

Level 31 solo? Laughing He definitely shouldn't have been anything more than level 33 solo at maximum, level 34 solo is already full-fledged deity level (Torog)

I don't think we're going to see a lot of details on this subject until the inevitable 4e devil book is released (though it looks like The Plane Above may cover some of it; btw, if there is a diabolic counterpart to the Demonomicon please let Ari Marmell take the lead on it), but you can piece together a lot of it from several sources including the first "Code of Betrayal" article, the MotP, The Plane Below, and Divine Power.

Tim Eagon My DDI Articles.

DDEX2-8 Foulness Beneath Mulmaster

Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon

The Blood War was faught between the devils and demons like in previous editions. It took place after Asmodeus somehow stole a shard of the seed of evil which formed the Abyss and I think it was faught in both of their home realms. I forgot exactly why they are on a cease fire right now.

And the nine hells are a prison because the devils can't leave of their own power. Summoning rituals force them out(at  full power) and I assume being banished forces them out at a diminshed power level. Summoning however is only temporary and they wil eventually end up getting sent back.
Moreso, though, Devils are prison-guards who are prisoners themselves.  It's a "correction facility" for bad souls.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

The Blood War was faught between the devils and demons like in previous editions. It took place after Asmodeus somehow stole a shard of the seed of evil which formed the Abyss and I think it was faught in both of their home realms. I forgot exactly why they are on a cease fire right now.

And the nine hells are a prison because the devils can't leave of their own power. Summoning rituals force them out(at  full power) and I assume being banished forces them out at a diminshed power level. Summoning however is only temporary and they wil eventually end up getting sent back.

The deamon forces couldn't stay on the same side long enough to provide a true threat to the hells. Orcus and Yeghnu were makeing headway until one backstabbed the other which is about what you would expect.
Sign In to post comments