Miniatures for D&D Encounters (possible spoilers)

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
I get a kick out of trying to find exactly the right miniature for each monster in an encounter.  I'm always pleased when I see something like "Magma Hurler" or "Guard Drake" in an adventure, and then discover there's a miniature that matches that exactly.

I'm fairly new to miniature collecting, so I tend to buy singles from previous releases only as I need them.  I often use the site www.ddmdb.com to research what minis are available.

I'm going to be DMing the D&D Encounters for my FLGS, so I've read through the adventure and come up with a list of the miniatures I think I'll be using.  I've ordered some of them, and I already own some.  There are some monsters that I'll just be using the provided tokens for.

Has anyone else done this (planned out what minis they'll be using)?  May I ask what mini you've decided on for the two main NPC's, F____ and X____?  Have there been other hard-to-match monsters that you've discovered?  I've decided that everything in session 6 (Encounter 2-2) will be done with tokens, because I cannot find any minis that even remotely match these monsters.

Mark

Yeah Encounter 2-2 is a tough one.  Abyssal Maw's could work for Pulsars.  A Grell or Intellect Devourer might be ok for the Thought Eater.  And maybe a Mad Slasher for the Lashers.

I try to do the same thing. Off the top of my head I do not recall what I was using where, but I will go back and take a look.

For F tonight I used a female caster-looking human/elf/kalishtar/half elf/tall halfling mini . Mostly it was a female mini I had sitting in my box since I forgot to pull something for her. Ooops. I can find the specific mini if anyone REALLY wants to know. For NPCs I hope to mostly match their race/sex and if I am lucky then match their class/equipment. For some odd reason most of the important NPCs end up looking like my PCs.

There are times when for organized play if no mini is available something close would be suggested. We are supposed to use tokens for this but for those of us willing to invest in the minis it would be nice that we not spend too much time on mini selection.
     I find a certain amount of pleasure in finding the right minis for the encounters also. I just bought about $80 worth to get ready for WWD&DGD PHB3 this weekend (I couldn't run D&D Encounters due to Wednesday conflicts and the lack of a local "hobby store").
     My latest cool match is the Psychic Sentinel from Legendary Evils for the Shardmind PC; it might be a bit large, but the crystaline body seemed a good match.
     I'm going to have to check out the site you listed Mark; I've shopped at the following in the past: www.miniaturemarket.com, www.coolstuffinc.com and www.strikezoneonline.com.

Larry
Hi Mark,
I am using mostly D&D Minis.  To prepare for the adventure I actually got together with a friend and was able to find perfect matches or close proxies for most things between both our collections - he has many from the older sets.

For F___ and X___ however, I want them to stand out and be different.  I had purchased a bunch of Mage Knight minis at a big discount at one point, and I rebase them as needed.  For F__ found a wonderful tall elf female in that collection that even looks like the picture in the adventure and touched up the paint a bit.  Nice options there for X___ too.  This is a nice way to extend your collection and pull out some surprises when needed or when you just need something that stands out other than the same old minis...

Personally, I don't like using tokens.  Would rather use an imperfect proxy mini.

I keep eyeing my stock of lead figures too from the early days of D&D but haven't tapped into that heavily yet.  Too much painting needed... 

James
Yeah Encounter 2-2 is a tough one.  Abyssal Maw's could work for Pulsars.  A Grell or Intellect Devourer might be ok for the Thought Eater.  And maybe a Mad Slasher for the Lashers.

I was considering buying a bag of Gummi Worms, and then slice, dice, and tie them into knots.  And then I get the fun of eating them when the PCs bump them off!

I was considering buying a bag of Gummi Worms, and then slice, dice, and tie them into knots.  And then I get the fun of eating them when the PCs bump them off!

That is nothing short of BRILLIANT.

Consider that idea stolen. 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

It's kind of scary when I can look at an adventure like the PHB3 one and say "oh, yeah, I have those".  I guess playing DDM minis league did have some advantages []

My go to for monsters is "Good & Plenty" when I want consumables... but I like the gummy worm idea too!

At Halloween I played with a DM who used Now & Laters for medium monsters - they fit the squares perfectly. When we went up against the big bad large it was 2 fun size Snickers. We ended up loosing that fight unfortunately so the DM got the Snickers .

At Halloween I played with a DM who used Now & Laters for medium monsters - they fit the squares perfectly. When we went up against the big bad large it was 2 fun size Snickers. We ended up loosing that fight unfortunately so the DM got the Snickers .

Awww, there's nothing fun about that at all! I always use lego for my monsters, so the players always make sure to loose because otherwise I force them to eat the figures. Nobody likes a sore winner... That being said I would hate to have to devide two tiny snickers bars between six people, but can you imagine finding two sinckers bars that are five feet tall and ten feet long?

If you can get away with it, just use the minis that you have and lie to the players. If you've only got goblins, tell them they are fighting goblins rather than orcs. If people complain, just have them killed by goblins. Dead people can't talk, problem solved. New table rule: unconcious players don't get to talk; shut up!
One thing i would ask for next season is a list of the monsters in advance so those of us who want to get the correct mini's for the encounters in advance can,i know i have a large collection of mini's but still i don't have everything i need for all 12 encounters yet.and as we didn't get the kits till the tuesday before the event it took some work to get the first lot of mini's dug out of my collection.
I have a conundrum. I have a huge minis collection, and I'd like to bring miniatures to each D&D Encounters session for the DM to use. At the same time, I don't want to be spoiled for what's in the adventure!

Might some kind soul recommend miniatures for each encounter while 1.) Being vague about the actual creatures, and 2.) throwing in some ringers? For example, if an encounter consisted of orcs, hobgoblins, and ochre jellies, you could say "at least 6 medium-sized beastial humanoids, 2  medium-sized shapeless masses, 2 medium-sized skeletal figures, and 1 large-sized reptilian animal." Or something. That way, even if we don't have an exact match for what's in the adventure, we can put something on the table that's in the ballpark.

It's kind of a weird request, I know. Anyone up for it?
Session 1-4 minis

spoilers for minis:

Any four-legged mini will do for the four-legged one. There is one for the specific creature, but you can use anything that resembles a dog in a pinch. There are undead dogs, hell hounds, iron guardians, drakes, etc.

There are quasit, imps, and other tiny critter minis that are suitable. There is also a gnaw demon mini.

Galeb Duhr or earth archon rumble are good rock-like critters.

Packing peanuts to hurl at players when a certain something activates...

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Nice.  I ended up doing this:

Show

For the Iron Defender, I'm using (obviously) an Iron Defender (a Dungeons of Dread common mini).  And for the Imp, an Imp (uncommon Angelfire mini).

For the Stonefist Defender, I decided to go with a set of three "Animated Statues" (common Desert of Desolation mini).  It seemed the most appropriate, given the setup.
I decided to make my own mini's to represent the fell taint lashers (blue and purple pompoms for the body, thick black thread for the tentacles, and google eyes No. 6 for the eyes(6 each), for the pulsars and thought eater I used dreamscape minis I had laying around 2 soul grubs and a dreamstuff entity.
I would love to see pictures of the creations!

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

In the spoilers are the minis I am and have used for the adventures:

Show

Encounter 1: a halfling sneak, gold dwarf fighter, tiefling necromancer, and two human thugs.

Encounter 2: 2 xeph warriors, 1 centipede (fluff changed for mini matching), 1 changeling rogue, 4 human thugs.

I did not have a bonus encounter.

Encounter 4: 1 iron defender, 2 infernal armors, and 1 imp.

Encounter 5:  rat swarm, ravenous dire rats (for the dire rats), and diseased dire rats (for giant rats), earth mephit (for clay scout)

Encounter 6: mad slasher (for fell taint lasher), gibbering mouther (for thought eater), abyssal maw (for pulsars)

Encounter 7: female eladrin sorcerer in the Gelatinous Cube (for the plaguechanged in the energy orb)

I'll post the rest when I have access to my trays.  I've already sorted them out and ordered what I need from T&T.
I like that idea for 7. I'm curious what other ideas people have for it. I have a few mini ideas for it over here.

I would love to see pictures of the creations!

you can see my creations in my photo gallery - wasnt sure how to link my photo in the forum.
Those look fantastic! (I can right-click on the image and copy the location, then click on the picture/tree icon on the toolbar above where I am now writing. I then paste the location.

Spoiler image for 2-3:

d9a37b7a3666fe17c7d2c3885b00ae90.jpg?v=76800

That is awesome! Did you make this? And how?

the orb is the main game piece from the "Le Bomb" game - I drew some blue flames on it - and best of all, it actually splits in half.
Sign In to post comments