New Christophsis Map in 3d

If people remember my next project was to do a 3d battle map of Christophsis, well here is the first few hours work:

For scal I have put a clone and BD on the map. This is the crystal sub layers, on top of this will sit the actual floor layer with cut out holes for each of the areas, plus buildings. They also act as pits . Constructed of foam and carved hexagons with scalpel

Chris ii

A work in progress but a work underway,
Best gaming community in the world. My collection is proof. 2009 SWM RAC member 795 Club member Over 75 Good trades, Zero Negatives You can check out my squads at Bloomilk, or share in more conversations at SWMGAMERS "There is always a choice..."
i intend on having some permanent displays/diaramas up soon aswell, keep up the awesome effort simon, i do lok forward to seeing your 3d christophsis finished and other works you have coming up, top stuff
Cool start so far, Simon. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. It seems like it's going to be rather large. Where are you going to keep it?
Yes it is 4 foot by 2 foot, so not small! It will be stored in daughters bedroom so she can play with it too.
Put the floor down, and started to add some buildings and a walkway. IMG_0868IMG_0867
IMG_0869
The clankers are coming boys!IMG_0870
IMG_0873IMG_0871
That is shaping up to look amazing. Will you be putting squares on it?
Yes will use printed label sheets, matt varnished
Oh man, this is insanely good.  You've got some mad skillz!  Cool
This is awesome. Can't wait to see it finished!
Christopher West, Cartographer Maps of Mastery
that looks just incredable, 100 % awesome and it's only a 1/3 to 1/2 done from the look of it.
Best gaming community in the world. My collection is proof. 2009 SWM RAC member 795 Club member Over 75 Good trades, Zero Negatives You can check out my squads at Bloomilk, or share in more conversations at SWMGAMERS "There is always a choice..."
that looks just incredable, 100 % awesome and it's only a 1/3 to 1/2 done from the look of it.

less than that to be honest, as once I have completed the main physical builds (probably this weekend). Then have to do the base painting, put on the floor grid, and then add details (for example the handrails), then I have the "crystals" to make for the floors and buildings.

I did use Mapmakers maps as a guide to how to get balanced maps, so hopefully it should balance quite well too (it has multiple routes to gambit, partially enclosed gambit, different types of scenery (buildings with doors, melee entry points, long shooting gallery points, but not too many that dont have potential cover).

Plus will look cool too.

I have often wondered with some of the guys like mapmaker whether they have considered providing "constructable" 3 elements, for example bridges over streets. This could be done quite easily from card folds, or elevated  buildings, just to add variety and other forms of cover
Well , main building pretty much done!
IMG_0880IMG_0879IMG_0876IMG_0881IMG_0886IMG_0884
That looks really good - how are you planning on doing the doors?
Patryn of Elvenshae Want a character sheet for your starship? Download! Discuss!
That looks really good - how are you planning on doing the doors?

I will use thin styrene to create the doors, these will have a base, so they can be "open" or "closed" by putting in or taking out

That looks totally awesome!
SoonToBeOld...
Shortened for your sanity until BBCode/Sblocks are readded.
56896968 wrote:
You know, in general I really love people who play Star Wars Minis. You could almost call them "Star Wars Minis Gamers." I'm just saying.
By the way, stop posting right before I hit "Post..."! YodaRulzTheStarWarsUniverse
It looks great so far.
Looking even more awesome.

I have often wondered with some of the guys like mapmaker whether they have considered providing "constructable" 3 elements, for example bridges over streets. This could be done quite easily from card folds, or elevated  buildings, just to add variety and other forms of cover

I've only ever dabbled in designing 3D elements; it's not really my strength. I made a one-page fold-up 3D throne that appeared in an issue of Dungeon Magazine a long time ago, but that was about it.

That said, I'm not ruling it out. I built a cardstock mini-scale sailing ship from Worldworks Games once, and it was a blast. They have some very cool-looking sci-fi sets, too; I just haven't found the time to work on any: www.worldworksgames.com/store/ 
I like their streets and buildings stuff (esp the modular stuff), however not so keen on there space stuff in terms of SWM, they are good but don't really feel like a star wars world. This is something you capture well in your maps. 

Any advice on producing map, starting points, etc for photoshopping? It would be great if for your next map you could do a video of yourself doing it and talk over it (it doesn't take a lot of effort I have done it for painting portraits before). I would definitely pay $30 or so for a 2-3 hours of video showing how you do your maps, how you use photoshop/graphics editors to produce, and how you do the initial design etc.

Something to think about, and a nice little side income (I sell about 20 videos a month at $70, although for 9 hours of video in my case), for doing no extra work! You could include some graphical objects in a zip (such as standard consoles, chairs, etc).

Let me know if you are interested, I could probably give you some advice on how to best do it. 
Well I have now done a flat grey undercoat and added a black drybrush. This will then be overlayed with detailing as seen in "hidden enemy". Then I will add the blue crystals!

IMG_1108IMG_1110IMG_1114IMG_1117IMG_1120IMG_1123IMG_1126IMG_1129IMG_1132IMG_1135IMG_1138
That's it... I'm comin' over! Laughing

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

Nice work! Cool
Excellent job!
AMS-51 "Dendrite" Connection lost...searching...
That's it... I'm comin' over!

I thought you were UK based?

Well for kicks been playing with GIMP:

4501520744_bddf1a8c9e

G
rievous and bodyguard faceoff against Ahsoka and Gen Anakin
 absoluletely awesome and very inspiring, love the laser bolts added in
Lookin' good!
That is so cool 
That's it... I'm comin' over! Laughing

lol! Please pick me up on the way... "Have mini's, will travel..."

It's looking good Simon!
I'm really impressed with what you've done here, it's absolutely awesome! It would be fun to be able to play on terrain like this. Oh and the last pic with laser fire added looks great.
Now THAT is impressive! I wish I had time to make something like that based on one of the SWM maps! Love the pic with the visual effects! Totally EPIC!!!
Now I have added Further details and have started in the crystals, have had real trouble finding the perfect way to make them (tried clear blue plastic folders, styrene, etc) and the best bet seems to be insulation foam painted, it isn't clear but just looks mire crystal like. Have decided to draw the squares on the floor, but doing it by drawing the corner points in.
You say you will draw the corner points in, so I am visualising there will be small crosses on the floor, marking where 4 squares meet? Is that accurate?

Also, it looks fantastic atm.
Yes there will be a cross where the squares meet. For me this is a compromise between having easily visible game points and something that doesnt take away from the design.

I will post my new pics this weekend. The internals and externals on the building are now painted and I have started the production of the crystal pieces.
I have been thinking hard about this particular map, and I may (I say may havent thought it through enough yet!!!!) be willing to give this away to a UK based SWM playing group. Preferably in the north of England so I can transport. I wouldn't want money for it but if driving then something for petrol would help.

Although I like it I suspect it is just too big for me to keep hold of long term, I will certainly keep it short term just so Phoebe can play on it a little while, but I think I will make her some smaller sets from the smaller pieces of board etc I have. It still has some work to be done yet anyway (detailing and the crystals).

It is a big set (about 4" x 2") so would need somewhere to keep it!

Think it would get better use where SWM is actually played more. And I guess it could be used for other minis games.

If anyone has any idea on suitable groups, gaming places in the UK then post up
You do outstanding work, I hope you keep posting new images of your future work as well.
This is just wonderful stuff, Simon. I really like Christophsis as a general environment, and you're doing a bang-up job with it.
---------------------------- "Any questions between now and victory?"
this is getting better and better
Well this is all but done, you can see anakins crash landed again, and the gunship has brought mace and yoda to the battle.

IMG_1309IMG_1308IMG_1306IMG_1301IMG_1298IMG_1294IMG_1296IMG_1292IMG_1291IMG_1288IMG_1285kitplodroidsIMG_1313IMG_1295
Sign In to post comments