impact of [ROE spoiler] on standard

530 posts / 0 new
Last post
link

1. Mnemonic Wall (0/4 defender for 4U - ETB: return instant or sorcery to hand from grave)
    Possibly overcosted, but just yesterday I was thinking how bummer it was that there was nothing like nucklavee or fantasy of reprints, eternal witness. It might be fun to abuse with cruel ultimatum, but really that's pointless.
    I see a possible reclaim of draw or kill, thoughts?


2. Totem Armor (mechanic, if the creature would be destroyed, sac the aura instead)
    That's good stuff, maybe. doesn't really help against path or bounce. the revealed card is too overcosted to impact standard, but on something cheaper it might be cool.


3. Rebound (mechanic, on spells. you get to cast it again during your upkeep, for free)
    I'm actually a little excited about this, since once upon a time I was designing a block for fun and that was one of the mechanics. the pump spell actually might impact standard, it's not quite the same card but I know thrill of the hunt saw some play in constructed. It would be awesome if they relised the awesomeness of printing modular with this (imagine: choose one - force spike, unsummon, or cycling. rebound!) so I'm hopeful. anything that makes card advantage could definately impact standard. burn would be good, too, even if it's simply quenchable fire.

update link, 3/24/2010
Impact= minimal-none
mnemonic wall looks like it could be really cool in extended in reveilark.
But you were deceived.
Hopefully theres more stuff for my Mono-Green Stompy.
Photobucket
Hopefully theres more stuff for my Mono-Green Stompy.



When you say Stompy, what does your deck do? I want to make sure we're on the same page
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green


whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
removal will have to say kill no more damage/- effects because guys are gonna be huge
firebreathingturtles.png
removal will have to say kill no more damage/- effects because guys are gonna be huge



Lol unless the non-spoiled cards allow you to answer boros or RDW while waiting to push out the 11cmc non-shroud non-indestructible dies-to-geopede-with-collar, I don't think bolt or burst are gonna go anywhere.



Photobucket
I'm maintaining that a Boomerangish card with Rebound would be straight up bonkers and would certainly help put the brakes on aggro
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
I don't know, though, they printed jace. they might feel bad for the spikes enough to sneak one or two good stuff in.

At this current time, all the previewed cards are unplayable in standard. However other cards in RotE could make them playable.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
I'm maintaining that a Boomerangish card with Rebound would be straight up bonkers and would certainly help put the brakes on aggro



1. nah. f**k that. control has had its time in the sun for to long now. until zendikar control had been the deck to beat, dralnu
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
I don't know, though, they printed jace. they might feel bad for the spikes enough to sneak one or two good stuff in.



Wizards of the Coast WILL continue it's agenda in toning down blue. They have made that very clear, in more ways than just the card pool.
I'm not sure why people won't accept that.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
I don't know, though, they printed jace. they might feel bad for the spikes enough to sneak one or two good stuff in.



Wizards of the Coast WILL continue it's agenda in toning down blue. They have made that very clear, in more ways than just the card pool.
I'm not sure why people won't accept that.



Out of curiosity, why didn't you like Browbeat initially? It seems like it would be a fine card in RDW or similar deck.



Out of curiosity, why didn't you like Browbeat initially? It seems like it would be a fine card in RDW or similar deck.




It wouldn't be good for RDW, or any other deck for that matter.


From the outside looking in, Browbeat seems like a real bargain. The maximum damage threshold for burn spells at a converted mana cost (CMC) of three is four points a la Char, Psionic Blast, and Flames of the Blood Hand. Dealing five Browbeat appears to be ahead of the curve in this department. The flipside of the card seems amazing as well. "Draw three cards" earned Ancestral Recall a permanent spot on the restricted list and cost future stars seeking to replicate it CMCs of 3+ times that of Ancestral. Drawing additional cards is furthermore a boon to red mages since it's not something they can typically do on their own. So if five damage at three mana is "better" than the alternatives and drawing three cards isn't even an option otherwise, how can the card be bad? Clan Cymbrogi's own Ben Peebles-Mundy probably put it best when he said "Browbeat never does what you want it to."


Not particularly poignant, but don't let the bluntness of the statement prevent you from recognizing the truth behind it. While Browbeat appears to do two "good" things, it never does the one you want or need it to. While it's true Ancestral Recall is good and it's true that Super-Char WOULD be good they are good only because we envision situations in which we cast one or the other, not situations in which our opponent chooses for us.


Therein lies the rub. While both halves of Browbeat might be good on their own, they lose a lot of luster when our opponent gets to choose which one we'll be playing. Can you imagine? We'd never let our opponents put cards in our decks for us, so why on earth would we let them do that in the middle of a game when they have MORE information about which cards would be better to put in? Let's remember that during any particular match, our opponent is the person who MOST wants us to lose. In fact, they're actively trying to see that that is exactly what happens. When we play Browbeat, then, we can assume our opponent is always going to select the half that has the least amount of impact on the game. Five damage for three mana? Irrelevant when they're at 10 life and have counter-locked us. Draw three cards? Fine with them as they swing back for lethal despite being at four life.


No, it's a harsh lesson to learn but an important one: in any given game of Magic, we want our opponent to be able to make as few decisions as possible. It is better to be the one making decisions, forcing an opponent to play our game instead of trying to play theirs. This doesn't mean be the aggro player instead of control; instead, it simply stands to reason we're better at our game. That is why it's OUR game, after all.


One of the primary problems with Browbeat, then, is that it allows our opponents to make decisions on our behalf. There are two other cards that provide one's opponent with choices cited as evidence this concept is wrong: Gifts Ungiven and Fact or Fiction. While it is true that both cards parallel aspects of Browbeat, the end result of the blue cards is quite different and more powerful than that of the red one.


The only decisions we're allowed to make with Browbeat are whether we're going to run it and when we're going to play it during a game. Obviously we must make the same decisions for both Gifts and FoF but we're also allowed to make further decisions as well. In the case of Fact or Fiction your opponent chooses how to split up the five cards revealed but it is you who gets to select which of the piles you want in your hand. The ultimate impact of the spell on the game is determined not by your opponent but by you the caster. The opposite is true for Browbeat.


Gifts Ungiven works as the inverse of the Fact or Fiction example. Instead of our opponent dividing the cards while we select what to keep, we choose the cards and the opponent selects which ones to keep. This does not mean the spell functions like Browbeat. Again, there is an added layer of decisions to make that the caster of the spell holds sway over: which four cards the opponent will choose from. Deck design often reflected this by including one-of targets for Gifts that created redundancy turning Gifts Ungiven into a double tutor. An example: 1 Snow-Covered Island, 1 Island, 1 Minamo, and 1 Oboro functionally allows us to cast Gifts Ungiven for two "Islands" whether an opponent wants us to have them or not.


The point is that mechanically the comparison between Browbeat, Gifts Ungiven, and Fact or Fiction is a faulty one. While all three cards appear to share the similarity of allowing one's opponent to make decisions with your card, in practice we see that isn't nearly as true with Gifts and FoF as it is with Browbeat. Furthermore, Gifts and FoF are strictly superior cards in a vacuum. While both cost an additional mana, they resolve at the end of an opponent's turn.


FoF's card draw feature is simply more efficient than Browbeat's; in the worst case scenario we take a random pile of three cards, perfectly mimicking Browbeat with the added advantage of knowing two additional cards that are bad are now gone from the top of our library as well. If it's a four/one split? We have essentially tutored for the card we needed most or else have the option of taking the best card of five from the top of our deck or going four-for-one at the end of an opponent's turn. After all of that added resiliency, further pushing FoF over Browbeat from a usefulness standpoint is deck design. Decks like Psychatog are able to abuse the fact they're stocking both their hand AND their graveyard at the same time. In comparison Browbeat is much more one-dimensional.


As for Gifs Ungiven, when used as a tutor it obviously draws cards more efficiently than Browbeat but forgetting to take deck-design into account for the moment Gifts STILL, worst-case scenario, provides you with the third and fourth best cards in your deck at the time you cast it. There are few situations where this type of selection is worse than simply drawing three unknown cards a la Browbeat. Now consider the added flexibility of building your deck to abuse Gifts as a tutor using one-ofs, abusing it with cards that serve to benefit you from the graveyard (Hana Kami-engine pieces during Kamigawa Block for example), or abusing the ability to only select two cards for the Gifts turning it into a graveyard tutor and we find that, like Fact or Fiction before it, Gifts Ungiven is strictly superior in effect to Browbeat because of a number of design elements.


In regards to decision-making, it should be apparent now why the decisions our opponents must make for Browbeat, Gifts Ungiven, and Fact or Fiction are different. There is a further differentiation between the three that must also be made, however, and that is the complexity of the type of decision called on for each. The fact of the matter is, the answer to Browbeat's question ("Cards or life?") is MUCH easier to determine than either of the questions posed by Gifts or FoF. One need simply determine whether or not they can afford the five damage; if not, they allow the opponent three additional cards (in rare circumstances an opponent may be better equipped to deal with additional cards-in-opponent's-hand as opposed to lack-of-life in which case the previous example would be reversed).


Fact or Fiction and Gifts Ungiven both pose much more complex questions. Players have to think considerably farther ahead into the game to correctly make piles. They must take into account situations that may or may not arise, such as an opponent hitting a 1-of like Upheaval. They have to surmise cards in an opponent's hand to determine whether they're fishing for land, card draw, counters, or some other type of spell. While all three cards may be offering the opponent an opportunity to act in their own best interest, the levels of complexity behind FoF and Gifts asking that question run far deeper than those of Browbeat, and far more players make mistakes in deciding how to split piles than they do in determining whether they should take 5 or let their opponent draw 3.


There are situations where Browbeat resolves and seems quite good. Occasionally the opponent will be so low on life they have no choice but to let us draw three cards in which we rip the burn spell that we needed to finish the deed. [u]How can Browbeat be bad when it lets us win the game? The answer, friends, is simple: Browbeat hasn't won the game but rather "won us the game."[/u]


The differentiation is small but important. Let's pretend for a moment that in that same situation we had a more proactive card to play instead of Browbeat. Since we're playing red and trying to deal damage to the opponent, it's a safe bet the card that best fits that bill will be Char or something Char-flavored. Instead of allowing our opponent to choose to have us draw three cards and risk the narrow possibility of drawing three blanks we use the same mana to send burn straight to the opponent's head. The game is over in one step instead of the two required by Browbeat and for the mana cost of just the Browbeat.


"But what if the opponent were at five life? He'd SURVIVE the Char!" True, but we already know he won't be taking five from Browbeat. Since we don't have a spell that simply does five damage (or we would have used it in the first part of this example), we can assume we will have to draw two burn spells that combine to finish off our opponent from five life. Had we been playing Char we simply could have drawn one of the two "outs" during a traditional draw step and still killed the opponent.


In later matches, however, we will further be punished for running Browbeat when our opponent isn't in such a precarious position of only having five life. What if we're holding Browbeat when they stabilize at 10 life? All of a sudden we're left with a sorcery-speed semi-burn spell instead of an active threat in hand. Our opponent can EASILY choose whichever half of the card is least relevant to the game state when we play it. We can see that Browbeat is only good during a game in which our opponent has his or her back firmly pressed against the wall to the point where they are not able to make the best decision in regards to their personal safety and well-being. Browbeat then is the epitome of the "win more" card and the wise player would find themselves happier playing more proactive cards like Char which are more useful in getting us out of situations in which the opponent isn't so readily in-hand.


----From the article "The Trouble With Browbeat", Bill Stark.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
Virtually all cards in RDW (with the exception of Goblin Guide) do not do damage over time, they do damage on a one-off or two-off basis. If you play Browbeat in a one-on-one matchup, you are essentially saying to your opponent, take 5 damage or let me draw 3 cards. If they have 5 life or less, the only choice is to let you draw 3 cards. Since every card in RDW is direct damage or a hasted creature, your opponent most likely let you draw 1 piece of direct damage, 1 hasted creature and 1 land. So, for example, 1 Ball Lightning, 1 Lightning Bolt and 1 Mountain or 1 Hellspark Elemental, 1 Burst Lightning and 1 Mountain. To prevent themselves from taking 5 damage they have let you have cards in your hand that allow you to do, on average 7 points of damage. Aside from the tempo loss of playing Browbeat, I don't see much of an issue with this. I'm not sure if modern decks would play the card over modern cards like 'quechable fire' but I would certainly consider it.

Which brings up another question... why don't RDW decks maindeck Goblin Ruinblaster? It's the single card I have the most trouble dealing with when playing against RDW. Many times I miss getting a key blocker into play because a land has been destroyed by that guy.

Virtually all cards in RDW (with the exception of Goblin Guide) do not do damage over time, they do damage on a one-off or two-off basis. If you play Browbeat in a one-on-one matchup, you are essentially saying to your opponent, take 5 damage or let me draw 3 cards.


At any given point in any game of Magic, one of the two choices will be completely irrelevant to the outcome of the game.
That's the one that your opponent will almost always choose. Also, there is only one choice that you really want. That will always be the one that you don't get. Also, saying "I don't care which one," is not a real answer. No one puts cards in their deck and "not cares" about what it will do at the time they cast it.
Which brings up another question... why don't RDW decks maindeck Goblin Ruinblaster? It's the single card I have the most trouble dealing with when playing against RDW. Many times I miss getting a key blocker into play because a land has been destroyed by that guy.


It's really a utility card, not a business spell. RDW wants to load it's deck full of business spells and threats, and that's just not what Goblin Ruinblaster represents. There may not be games where you would even want to destroy a land, so it's better to go with the threats that are in the main, and pull him in only on an as needed basis.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
Virtually all cards in RDW (with the exception of Goblin Guide) do not do damage over time, they do damage on a one-off or two-off basis. If you play Browbeat in a one-on-one matchup, you are essentially saying to your opponent, take 5 damage or let me draw 3 cards.


At any given point in any game of Magic, one of the two choices will be completely irrelevant to the outcome of the game.
That's the one that your opponent will almost always choose. Also, there is only one choice that you really want. That will always be the one that you don't get. Also, saying "I don't care which one," is not a real answer. No one puts cards in their deck and "not cares" about what it will do at the time they cast it.
Which brings up another question... why don't RDW decks maindeck Goblin Ruinblaster? It's the single card I have the most trouble dealing with when playing against RDW. Many times I miss getting a key blocker into play because a land has been destroyed by that guy.


It's really a utility card, not a business spell. RDW wants to load it's deck full of business spells and threats, and that's just not what Goblin Ruinblaster represents. There may not be games where you would even want to destroy a land, so it's better to go with the threats that are in the main, and pull him in only on an as needed basis.



Let's get right down to it, if you are playing RDW against an opponent, and that opponent is willing to take 5 damage rather than let you draw 3 cards you have probably already lost, it wouldn't matter what other card Browbeat could have been. Which means that when played in RDW, Browbeat should just read play 3 mana, draw 3 cards. And I think that is fine.

As for the Goblin Ruinblaster, I've been maindecking it in my R/B deck to great effect, and I think it could be similarly effective in RDW. Many times I've gone up against opponents who would be able to play Baneslayer Angel on turn 4, except that the Ruinblaster on my turns 4 and 5 prevented them. So, instead of being required to play Terminate on the Angel right away, I could attack for two additional turns and pile on 6 additional damage (my opponent's only blockers were mana producers, since I killed off their KotR. Goblin Ruinblaster is a great card against every serious non-mono colored deck, including Jund.
if RDW wanted to draw cards, it'd play blue.
if RDW wanted to draw cards, it'd play blue.



Eh, wouldn't that be URDW? :-p

Actually, I really like the listings for BRDW. It's more or less RDW with Blightnings and cards to kill Kor Firewalker in the sideboard. I would play BRDW over RDW any day!

So, instead of being required to play Terminate on the Angel right away, I could attack for two additional turns and pile on 6 additional damage (my opponent's only blockers were mana producers, since I killed off their KotR.



Goblin Ruinblaster is underwhelming, at best. It is not considered a "good creature" because it barely constitutes a creature at all. It's a four mana land destructions sorcery spell.
At it's core, it's a vanilla 2/1 for 3 mana. Not only is that too slow and inefficient for RDW, it ruins any decent curve and it's just a bad call for a slot in the main over anything that's already there.
As a creature, it's just not good enough to main deck. As a four mana land destruction sorcery spell, it's an alright option for mana base disruption.
The fact that you get a 2/1 out of the deal is alright, but 3 mana 2/1 creatures generally tend to get overlooked by most opponents.
It's not a card that's just straight up good, because it's not good. It's an okay land destruction spell.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
So, instead of being required to play Terminate on the Angel right away, I could attack for two additional turns and pile on 6 additional damage (my opponent's only blockers were mana producers, since I killed off their KotR.



Goblin Ruinblaster is underwhelming, at best. It is not considered a "good creature" because it barely constitutes a creature at all. It's a four mana land destructions sorcery spell.
At it's core, it's a vanilla 2/1 for 3 mana. Not only is that too slow and inefficient for RDW, it ruins any decent curve and it's just a bad call for a slot in the main over anything that's already there.
As a creature, it's just not good enough to main deck. As a four mana land destruction sorcery spell, it's an alright option for mana base disruption.
The fact that you get a 2/1 out of the deal is alright, but 3 mana 2/1 creatures generally tend to get overlooked by most opponents.
It's not a card that's just straight up good, because it's not good. It's an okay land destruction spell.



I think it's the haste in addition to being a 2/1 landkiller that makes it good. I don't think Jund would nearly be the deck to beat if BBE didn't have haste in addition to its cascade ability.

Case in point, my opponent was playing against me with a ridiculously expensive WUG deck. I think it might be the deck people are referring to as 'Mythic' unless that refers to something else. My opponent had played a Jace, and so I kicked a Goblin Ruinblaster into his Celestial Colonade and attacked the Jace. Next turn I did the same thing, killing another Colonade and the Jace. If I had played anything else I would have been staring down a live Jace and BSA. My opponent never recovered from losing the two lands because the extra 4 damage per turn from the Ruinblasters meant he didn't live long enough to.

The only decks I have regretted drawing Goblin Ruinblaster against have been Vampires and RDW.
wouldn't Menmonic wall be the perfect replacement for Nuckavee in Warp World decks?
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
So, instead of being required to play Terminate on the Angel right away, I could attack for two additional turns and pile on 6 additional damage (my opponent's only blockers were mana producers, since I killed off their KotR.



Goblin Ruinblaster is underwhelming, at best. It is not considered a "good creature" because it barely constitutes a creature at all. It's a four mana land destructions sorcery spell.
At it's core, it's a vanilla 2/1 for 3 mana. Not only is that too slow and inefficient for RDW, it ruins any decent curve and it's just a bad call for a slot in the main over anything that's already there.
As a creature, it's just not good enough to main deck. As a four mana land destruction sorcery spell, it's an alright option for mana base disruption.
The fact that you get a 2/1 out of the deal is alright, but 3 mana 2/1 creatures generally tend to get overlooked by most opponents.
It's not a card that's just straight up good, because it's not good. It's an okay land destruction spell.



I disagree. The reason it's a staple sideboard in Jund and some RDW builds is because it's a fantastic tempo card for 4cmc. The reason its in the sideboard in the first place is solely based on it's situational power. If it said land instead of non-basic land, Jund would have no issue running 4 of them maindeck, nor would RDW.

Also, your linked post about browbeat assumes that at any given point, one of the outcomes is unacceptable. That's disengenuous, at best. More gas for RDW or efficient burn to the face are, in fact, nearly always acceptable outcomes. Optimal? no, and that's the nature of the card. But Gatekeeper of Malakir is often in the same situation as browbeat, yet it remains a staple card for vamps because it produces acceptable outcomes (with the significant exception of sprouting thrinax).

Photobucket
Impact of that spoiler? None.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.


The reason its in the sideboard in the first place is solely based on it's situational power.


That's what I was saying. Because it's situational, and not that awesome for a creature, but as a land destruction spell + creature, it's in the sideboard as opposed to in the main.
I was saying that it wasn't "maindeckable" over things that are already there.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.

The reason its in the sideboard in the first place is solely based on it's situational power.


That's what I was saying. Because it's situational, and not that awesome for a creature, but as a land destruction spell + creature, it's in the sideboard as opposed to in the main.
I was saying that it wasn't "maindeckable" over things that are already there.



I think it is maindeckable, because the decks that are the most difficult to beat all run plenty of non-basic land. Jund, for example, is significantly hurt by Goblin Ruinblaster, especially on the draw. If you have a Ruinblaster in your hand and can play it kicked on turn 4, that is almost always the correct play. The only decks it is subpar against are the ones with no targets for the kicked ability. Against those decks it is a 2/1 with haste for 3.

In the past, Jund has maindecked Goblin Ruinblaster, it seems to fall in and out of favor. But virtually all run 4 between the mainboard and sideboard.

browbeat is good. but you want to play it when you have atleast 3 cards in hand, and when they have 15-10 life. giving the ilussion that both choices are bad,.
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
moar kardz!

overgrown battlements: super good!
1g for 0/4 defender adds g for each defender? it's vine trellis ++



hyena umbra: maybe good
w aura, +1/+1 and first strike, totem armor

other stuff is exciting too, especially lighthouse chronologist
My personal favorite (at the moment) is Guul Draz Assassin. On turn 3, you have a potential permanent Disfigure. (Highlight blank space for spoler.)
Image.ashx?size=small&name=U&type=symbolImage.ashx?size=small&name=W&type=symbolPolyshield Image.ashx?size=small&name=U&type=symbolImage.ashx?size=small&name=W&type=symbol
mine is still emrakul just for the sheer "rawr i smash, take a turn, then smash harder and don't stay dead" 0_O
w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]
mine is still emrakul just for the sheer "rawr i smash, take a turn, then smash harder and don't stay dead" 0_O



I wonder if it will replace Progenitus in the Polygenitus decks? I mean, why not, right? I can't really see an opponent recovering from getting hit by him on turn 5.

I'm also curious to see what type of decks the Lighthouse Chronologist gets played in, and how much the Umbras rock in limited play.
mine is still emrakul just for the sheer "rawr i smash, take a turn, then smash harder and don't stay dead" 0_O



I wonder if it will replace Progenitus in the Polygenitus decks? I mean, why not, right? I can't really see an opponent recovering from getting hit by him on turn 5.

I'm also curious to see what type of decks the Lighthouse Chronologist gets played in, and how much the Umbras rock in limited play.



my guess is no on replacing progenitus just because it could still be o-ring'd/JoN still
w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]
mine is still emrakul just for the sheer "rawr i smash, take a turn, then smash harder and don't stay dead" 0_O



I wonder if it will replace Progenitus in the Polygenitus decks? I mean, why not, right? I can't really see an opponent recovering from getting hit by him on turn 5.

I'm also curious to see what type of decks the Lighthouse Chronologist gets played in, and how much the Umbras rock in limited play.



my guess is no on replacing progenitus just because it could still be o-ring'd/JoN still



But those work at sorcery speed, and you would still get your free turn, right? How could your opponent recover from a 6 card annilation that early?
You only get the free turn if you hardcast it. 
mine is still emrakul just for the sheer "rawr i smash, take a turn, then smash harder and don't stay dead" 0_O



I wonder if it will replace Progenitus in the Polygenitus decks? I mean, why not, right? I can't really see an opponent recovering from getting hit by him on turn 5.

I'm also curious to see what type of decks the Lighthouse Chronologist gets played in, and how much the Umbras rock in limited play.



my guess is no on replacing progenitus just because it could still be o-ring'd/JoN still



But those work at sorcery speed, and you would still get your free turn, right? How could your opponent recover from a 6 card annilation that early?



No, you don't get a free turn.

When you cast Emrakul, take an extra turn after this one. When you cast Hypergenesis, you are just putting the creatures directly into play.

old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green


whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?

1. nah. f**k that. control has had its time in the sun for to long now. until zendikar control had been the deck to beat, dralnu<5cc. its aggros turn. and ill be damned if they cut it short considering its only been 6 months(compaired to controls 3 year run) since its aggros been most of the front runners.plus there isnt anything control doesnt have to deal with aggro. you have doj and jace thats all you need slappy.


Hm... that's an interesting viewpoint.  However, when Control was good, Aggro decks were still viable, and still winning tournaments.  Now, Control decks are doing Ok, but they're not nearly as consistent as the aggressive decks.  The last Control deck to win a major tournament was... last Standard, to my knowledge (I could well be wrong, I didn't actually look it up).
REMEMBER FLUFFY, mercilessly slain by the bastard Useless Mancer
Fluffy, the cute and cuddly baloth beatstick of marshmellowy fluffyness and lolz, om-nom-noming Keeper's wicked soul; its insane, deadly amount of cuteness rips the fabric of reality to shreds, its pink, soft, round teeth dripping with honey, every breath spreading the repugnant smell of fresh flowers, this horrifying creature of destruction devastates Keeper by spreading its deadly, all-powerful fluff over the countryside, laying waste to dragon and furry bunny alike. It comes howling out of the east, an endless rattling and gnashing of teeth, a twisted grinding pull on the very fabric of reality threatening to consume body and mind alike in an endless glimmering pink torrent. Nothing is more terrible than the sun glittering on its teeth, save perhaps the light glancing off the oily tones of the sequins that cover its hotpants. Of course, there was that child who tried to eat Fluffy, mistaking him for a giant, walking piece of cotton candy. That child... is now the almighty leader of Fluffy, controlling his every move, sending him to devour the people that cross his path. And Keeper. Because we said so. Nothing can stop Fluffy's march to victory, spreading the sweet smell of strawberries where ever it lays its mighty paw. Followed by many jolly fairies singing joyful songs about Fluffy's cuddlyness, the baloth wanders the mountains of Zendikarland on a quest to share the love with Keeper, tough love that is...
Fluffy, we'll miss you friend. We'll miss you...
Siggy Siggables
56544366 wrote:
My other name consideration was "Thermodynamics of Doom!"
58271798 wrote:
Master Yumyums! Master Yumyums! I made it even more unfun! Spirited Betrayal Sorcery All lands are copies of Night of Souls' Betrayal. The legend rule doesn't apply to them. *Headsplosion*
56267956 wrote:
76064519 wrote:
If they make Mono-blue control a viable option for FNM again, I'm going to force myself to browse 4chan while listening to Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber and then I'm going to read Twilight books before I go to sleep for 1 whole week...
I already do that.
56544366 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
I NEED GRADES TO MAKE ME FEEL SPECIAL.
Use of caps lock: 9/10
58438088 wrote:
We were goddamn slowly making our way towards those **** mountains. The road was all filthy and wet, bird **** on every step and eldrazi piss raining from the sky. "So those ****tards are finally awake huh?" my idiotic companion asked. "Yep, we're in deep ****, homie." "Wazzup?" "Nothing, just pissed." My companion looked to the sky. A drop of the eldrazi urine fell right in his eye. "Oh, man. Now I'm pissed too." As we were moving on, we were looking around on the innocent nature. Two baloths were doing it on the road so we had to make a little detour. The pools of piss were kinda unpleasant but at least it was warm so we had no trouble at night. "One gets used to piss running down your face you know." said my companion. "F'shizzle." answered I stoicly and kicked two rabbits, who were doing nasty things to each other's ass, in the ass. "Man one can't take a spit here without hitting some shamming animals." "Word. Zendikar sucks. Hope the eldrazi contribute a little to the population regulation." As my companion said that, a gigantic, 20 meters tall eldrazi slithered by. On it's arms and tentacles were remains of birds, rabbits, baloths, angels, planeswalkers, dragons, krakens and a few cities. We stood up and clapped loudly. "A few bitches less." (People don't get banned for such posts do they?)
58021268 wrote:
Am I the only one? Looking over the recent threads debating the merits of "Belgium," the various ideas to "fix" England and other topics which concern European nations, I'm struck by how much I don't care what happens. Britain and Spain are, to me, completely inaccessible due to the Atlantic Ocean, not to mention volcanoes and socialism. I sound like I'm bashing European nations, and I guess I kind of am. If you enjoy living in France, Luxembourg, Poland or any other, older nation, that's fantastic. I just don't see why there's such a huge uproar about a volcano that is mostly affecting a niche group of people.
57008088 wrote:
57036138 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57052258 wrote:
Hell, I don't even like that they printed Pillarfield Ox
I'm real happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but pillarfield ox has one of the best pieces of art of all time. Of all time.
Really? I don't really see the greatness.
It's an Ox. In a PILLARFIELD. That's like, a field of frickin' PILLARS, but to this Ox it just looks like an ordinary field of grass - because he is so BADASS.
56916508 wrote:
Finally, Master Yumyums just had probably the most boring, worthless card in the entire contest. Why would you need to give creatures -1/-0 on your turn? To beat them down with your nonflying blue aggro deck that plays a bad win condition card to win (and if you are playing the critters, why aren't you winning with them?!)? And the win condition itself is so mindblowingly difficult it seems like it was only made simply to fit the criteria.
Derivative Radial Tangent Calculation of Pure, Absolute, Utmost, Uncontestable and Utter Doom Newton's Second Law of Equations As an additional calculation to add to ~, reveal a Mathematical Equation from your hand, with a converted mana casting cost equal to a Prime Number. (Prime numbers are 2, 3, 5, 7, 11 13, 17...) ~ costs ƒ(x) = Σπ(δƒ(u)-ƒ(x)) if you're a fan of René Descartes in Facebook. ~ deals X damage to each creature your opponents control within a radius of X KM from ~, where X is the revealed Equation's converted mana cost. ~ deals Y damages to target player, where Y is the area of the Sphere (using the first 50 digits of pi as pi). ~ deals Z less damage, where Z is the distance in Lightyears from the centerpoint of the Sphere. Add up X, Y and Z and round it up to the closest number. Multiply the damage ~ would deal by m, where m is the number of multiples of that number. Calculate the first 50 Fibonaci numbers: Deal the difference between the 25-50th numbers, and the first 25 numbers. As long as the angular acceleration of an object t approaches maximum velocity relative to the cross product of a vector n and its bisector as the object passes through point Q at vector n's convergence in zero gravity, Disastrous Radial Tangent Calculation can't be countered. As long as you can do a geometric proof of anything on this card, target opponent must be doing one. Otherwise, he or she loses the game. (both games. you just lost the game.)
Now that I reread the list, I'm most excited for the Guul Draz Assasin and Virulent Swipe. I think the Vampire decks will be playing at least one of the Assasin... it seems like a wonderful 1st or second turn play.

1. nah. f**k that. control has had its time in the sun for to long now. until zendikar control had been the deck to beat, dralnu<5cc. its aggros turn. and ill be damned if they cut it short considering its only been 6 months(compaired to controls 3 year run) since its aggros been most of the front runners.plus there isnt anything control doesnt have to deal with aggro. you have doj and jace thats all you need slappy.


Hm... that's an interesting viewpoint.  However, when Control was good, Aggro decks were still viable, and still winning tournaments.  Now, Control decks are doing Ok, but they're not nearly as consistent as the aggressive decks.  The last Control deck to win a major tournament was... last Standard, to my knowledge (I could well be wrong, I didn't actually look it up).



LSV won a 5K with RWU control, which I'm surprised died down tourney wise, because the Jace - Ajani one two punch is brutal.
Right-O.  I remember that now.  But yeah, 'Merican Control has fallen off of the planet for some reason.
REMEMBER FLUFFY, mercilessly slain by the bastard Useless Mancer
Fluffy, the cute and cuddly baloth beatstick of marshmellowy fluffyness and lolz, om-nom-noming Keeper's wicked soul; its insane, deadly amount of cuteness rips the fabric of reality to shreds, its pink, soft, round teeth dripping with honey, every breath spreading the repugnant smell of fresh flowers, this horrifying creature of destruction devastates Keeper by spreading its deadly, all-powerful fluff over the countryside, laying waste to dragon and furry bunny alike. It comes howling out of the east, an endless rattling and gnashing of teeth, a twisted grinding pull on the very fabric of reality threatening to consume body and mind alike in an endless glimmering pink torrent. Nothing is more terrible than the sun glittering on its teeth, save perhaps the light glancing off the oily tones of the sequins that cover its hotpants. Of course, there was that child who tried to eat Fluffy, mistaking him for a giant, walking piece of cotton candy. That child... is now the almighty leader of Fluffy, controlling his every move, sending him to devour the people that cross his path. And Keeper. Because we said so. Nothing can stop Fluffy's march to victory, spreading the sweet smell of strawberries where ever it lays its mighty paw. Followed by many jolly fairies singing joyful songs about Fluffy's cuddlyness, the baloth wanders the mountains of Zendikarland on a quest to share the love with Keeper, tough love that is...
Fluffy, we'll miss you friend. We'll miss you...
Siggy Siggables
56544366 wrote:
My other name consideration was "Thermodynamics of Doom!"
58271798 wrote:
Master Yumyums! Master Yumyums! I made it even more unfun! Spirited Betrayal Sorcery All lands are copies of Night of Souls' Betrayal. The legend rule doesn't apply to them. *Headsplosion*
56267956 wrote:
76064519 wrote:
If they make Mono-blue control a viable option for FNM again, I'm going to force myself to browse 4chan while listening to Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber and then I'm going to read Twilight books before I go to sleep for 1 whole week...
I already do that.
56544366 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
I NEED GRADES TO MAKE ME FEEL SPECIAL.
Use of caps lock: 9/10
58438088 wrote:
We were goddamn slowly making our way towards those **** mountains. The road was all filthy and wet, bird **** on every step and eldrazi piss raining from the sky. "So those ****tards are finally awake huh?" my idiotic companion asked. "Yep, we're in deep ****, homie." "Wazzup?" "Nothing, just pissed." My companion looked to the sky. A drop of the eldrazi urine fell right in his eye. "Oh, man. Now I'm pissed too." As we were moving on, we were looking around on the innocent nature. Two baloths were doing it on the road so we had to make a little detour. The pools of piss were kinda unpleasant but at least it was warm so we had no trouble at night. "One gets used to piss running down your face you know." said my companion. "F'shizzle." answered I stoicly and kicked two rabbits, who were doing nasty things to each other's ass, in the ass. "Man one can't take a spit here without hitting some shamming animals." "Word. Zendikar sucks. Hope the eldrazi contribute a little to the population regulation." As my companion said that, a gigantic, 20 meters tall eldrazi slithered by. On it's arms and tentacles were remains of birds, rabbits, baloths, angels, planeswalkers, dragons, krakens and a few cities. We stood up and clapped loudly. "A few bitches less." (People don't get banned for such posts do they?)
58021268 wrote:
Am I the only one? Looking over the recent threads debating the merits of "Belgium," the various ideas to "fix" England and other topics which concern European nations, I'm struck by how much I don't care what happens. Britain and Spain are, to me, completely inaccessible due to the Atlantic Ocean, not to mention volcanoes and socialism. I sound like I'm bashing European nations, and I guess I kind of am. If you enjoy living in France, Luxembourg, Poland or any other, older nation, that's fantastic. I just don't see why there's such a huge uproar about a volcano that is mostly affecting a niche group of people.
57008088 wrote:
57036138 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57052258 wrote:
Hell, I don't even like that they printed Pillarfield Ox
I'm real happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but pillarfield ox has one of the best pieces of art of all time. Of all time.
Really? I don't really see the greatness.
It's an Ox. In a PILLARFIELD. That's like, a field of frickin' PILLARS, but to this Ox it just looks like an ordinary field of grass - because he is so BADASS.
56916508 wrote:
Finally, Master Yumyums just had probably the most boring, worthless card in the entire contest. Why would you need to give creatures -1/-0 on your turn? To beat them down with your nonflying blue aggro deck that plays a bad win condition card to win (and if you are playing the critters, why aren't you winning with them?!)? And the win condition itself is so mindblowingly difficult it seems like it was only made simply to fit the criteria.
Derivative Radial Tangent Calculation of Pure, Absolute, Utmost, Uncontestable and Utter Doom Newton's Second Law of Equations As an additional calculation to add to ~, reveal a Mathematical Equation from your hand, with a converted mana casting cost equal to a Prime Number. (Prime numbers are 2, 3, 5, 7, 11 13, 17...) ~ costs ƒ(x) = Σπ(δƒ(u)-ƒ(x)) if you're a fan of René Descartes in Facebook. ~ deals X damage to each creature your opponents control within a radius of X KM from ~, where X is the revealed Equation's converted mana cost. ~ deals Y damages to target player, where Y is the area of the Sphere (using the first 50 digits of pi as pi). ~ deals Z less damage, where Z is the distance in Lightyears from the centerpoint of the Sphere. Add up X, Y and Z and round it up to the closest number. Multiply the damage ~ would deal by m, where m is the number of multiples of that number. Calculate the first 50 Fibonaci numbers: Deal the difference between the 25-50th numbers, and the first 25 numbers. As long as the angular acceleration of an object t approaches maximum velocity relative to the cross product of a vector n and its bisector as the object passes through point Q at vector n's convergence in zero gravity, Disastrous Radial Tangent Calculation can't be countered. As long as you can do a geometric proof of anything on this card, target opponent must be doing one. Otherwise, he or she loses the game. (both games. you just lost the game.)
blame the Kor Firewalkers
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green


whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
@Knight: And that's why the most broken decks ever have been control, right?

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.