Dragon 385: Power of Dragons

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
So is anyone else singing the "One of these things is not like the others" song about this article?

y'know... Paragon paths specifically for Dragonborn. Okay, that's cool.

But the image they used for the headline image, the download page image, and to accompany the "Mithral Arm" Paragon... Seems a little short and bearded to be Dragonborn, don't ya think?
I was going to say the same thing, ever since I got the article a couple days ago.

By the way, here's the article stats for everybody:

DnDi_Large.png  Dragon 385
Power of Dragons

By Greg Tito

In today's Dragon article, we see 5 new PPaths specifically for Dragonborn, and even more specifically, for Dragonborn who align themselves with Metallic Dragons!  (Even if one looks like a Dwarf).

Rumors hint that the mithral dragons of the Astral Sea grant dragonborn and other mortal races alike the ability to commune with them to do their will. The following five paragon paths let your character tap into the power of dragons.

Talk about this article here.

385_pod.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Isn't it amazing what you can do with a disguise kit and Skill focus: Bluff? :D
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Actually, that is a Dragonborn.

One who's taken the Mercurial Assassin paragon path, to boot.

Why is it in the Mithral Arms section? Because it's sneaky, of course.

Tongue out 

A list of CharOp Handbooks I'm currently updating:

Heart of the Dragon: A Dragonborn's Handbook

Infernal Wrath: A Tiefling's Handbook

Aw, you all beat me to the punch! Cool

Yeah, I thought the art selection was just a little bit... off on this one.
I agree...the art choice for this article is quite puzzling.
I was really hoping this article would provide something for non-dragonborn, like an update of the old Dragon Disciple prestige class; instead, this may be the first time I've been disappointed by Dragon content in ages. Which, when I think about it, is not so bad at all.

The mercurial's 12th level utility will make changelings and illusionists gnash their teeth in jealousy, though. It's the power my chameleon has always wanted.
I like the article, and hope that they continue in this vein with the other races.

However, I am disappointed that Primal dragonborn didn't get more support from this article while Arcane and Divine each got another path, and the other paths have a bit of a martial or role specific cant to 'em.  While they do have a powertype path from their racial splatbook, it's primarily useful for seekers or wisdom based wardens.

Although Mithral Arm is kind of awesome for mobility and flexibility, so that almost makes up for it. 
Yes, I was disappointed too.  I was in the process of creating a human cleric of Bahamut for an upcoming campaign -- if these paragon paths had been for members of any race who admired and wanted to emulate metallic dragons rather than strictly for dragonborn, I would have loved it.
Actually, that is a Dragonborn.

One who's taken the Mercurial Assassin paragon path, to boot.

Why is it in the Mithral Arms section? Because it's sneaky, of course.

Tongue out 

Well done. I was here to point out the error, but apparently I was mistaken.
In fact, great job by the art team, to make it appear that the dragonborn was in fact a dwarf.
I was convinced.
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"
if these paragon paths had been for members of any race who admired and wanted to emulate metallic dragons rather than strictly for dragonborn, I would have loved it.

Agreed.

Of course, in reading the powers for the paragons, there are only 2 that specifically tie their abilities to those of Dragonborn. The Argentum Alliance and the Adamant Instructor are the only ones that even mention a Dragonborn Racial Trait (Dragon Breath) in their Features or Powers. With a lenient GM, you could probably twist arms and take one of the other Paths anyway.
Indeed. I'm getting more and more annoyed with Dragonborn.

Now they get a paragon path that allows them to do the changeling stick as well. Heck! Its even better than the changeling stick. Its like what the hell? Now we have shapeshifting dragon born who can change thier cloths as well?

Its just not right. :/

There better be like 3 changeling, shifter, kalaster, and warforged articles each! next month.
I'd get along more with people if they didn't jump onto a hyberbole every single time you say something they don't understand.
There was a kalashtar article this month.
Indeed. I'm getting more and more annoyed with Dragonborn.

Now they get a paragon path that allows them to do the changeling stick as well. Heck! Its even better than the changeling stick. Its like what the hell? Now we have shapeshifting dragon born who can change thier cloths as well?

Its just not right. :/

There better be like 3 changeling, shifter, kalaster, and warforged articles each! next month.

... What?  Changelings shapeshift.  That PP ability is an illusion.  One is better than the other all right.  I'll give you a hint which one - it's not the illusion.
Mechanically, there isn't a diffrence between an illusion and a real shape shift.
And the illusion still changes your cloths.

the shapeshifting (which you claim is better) doesn't.

Unless you can show me that in 4e there is a way to beat illusions without have to rely on DM interpretation, they are still the same deal.

I'd get along more with people if they didn't jump onto a hyberbole every single time you say something they don't understand.
not only is there no mechanical difference between an illusion and polymorph's effectiveness at disguising you, the Mercurial disguise has both the illusion and polymorph keywords, implying it is literally the changeling thing and then some.  I think changelings deserve a paragon path that grants a breath weapon as compensation.
This is the happy swamp. Love it. I am red/blue, I think logically and act impulsively.
Mechanically, there isn't a diffrence between an illusion and a real shape shift.
And the illusion still changes your cloths.

the shapeshifting (which you claim is better) doesn't.

Unless you can show me that in 4e there is a way to beat illusions without have to rely on DM interpretation, they are still the same deal.

i use a changeling that wears imposter's armor to make the most of my shifting by allowing my outer clothing to shift at-will just like my changeling. A hat of disguise don't hurt either.

Well with a hat of disguise you wouldn't need to be a changeling anyways.

And I've thought of the imposters armor, but that would still mean I'd need to wear a magical item. Then depending on DM you may or may not have to take of your real armor in order to change.
I think the Mercurial path has the polymorph shenanigans to allow Dragonborn characters to emulate Sivak (?) Draconians.

Not quite fair to Changelings, unless they get a PP or more feat support that further improves their racial ability.  Seriously, where's the Eberron love?
I think the Mercurial path has the polymorph shenanigans to allow Dragonborn characters to emulate Sivak (?) Draconians.

Not quite fair to Changelings, unless they get a PP or more feat support that further improves their racial ability.  Seriously, where's the Eberron love?

And to be fair, dragons as shapechangers has long been an established D&D trope.

That said, seriously, WotC needs to give some love for some of these other races. I had one player turn their Changeling into a Tiefling after becoming frustrated with the complete lack of support.

True.

Warforged have been getting decent support, but changelings feel like they're a red-headed stepchild when it comes to the other races.  Even within the Eberron books the 'forged got more support.

One thing I just noticed with the Winning Races: Deva article going up....  The 12th Level utility for Mercurial Assassins is more powerful than the Deva ED's feature.  Something's not right there. 

True.

Warforged have been getting decent support, but changelings feel like they're a red-headed stepchild when it comes to the other races.

Of course! They are changlings, would you trust them with power?
One thing I just noticed with the Winning Races: Deva article going up....  The 12th Level utility for Mercurial Assassins is more powerful than the Deva ED's feature.  Something's not right there. 

Though note the Deceptive Veil from the Epic Destiny is one of three abilities it gets at level 21, where most Epic Destinies only get 1. It is actually I trend I've been somewhat bothered by - why do some Epic Destinies get +2 to two stats and one or two other powerful features at 21?

True.

Warforged have been getting decent support, but changelings feel like they're a red-headed stepchild when it comes to the other races.  Even within the Eberron books the 'forged got more support.

Yeah, with the changeling we could have

Racial Emulation
During a long rest, choose one racial power of an ally, and be able to to use that power instead of changeling trick. In addition, when shapeshifted as certian race, you qualify for the special abilites of items.

In otherwords there are some items that say "if you are an eladrin do X" So if a changeling shapeshifts into an eladrin, he can do the X.