Is D&D Encounters Associated w/ the RPGA?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is D&D Encounters considered an RPGA campaign?

Do new characters have to conform to RPGA's standards of character creation even if they don't plan on being played in any other connected RPGA campaigns (i.e. Living Forgotten Realms for Halaster's Lost Apprentice)?

Is there going to be an official log sheet so players can document their play history?

Will characters be able to transfer from one season of D&D Encounters to another, or will we be expected to create new characters every season? 

Do new characters have to conform to RPGA's standards of character creation even if they don't plan on being played in any other connected RPGA campaigns (i.e. Living Forgotten Realms for Halaster's Lost Apprentice)?

Is there going to be an official log sheet so players can document their play history?

Will characters be able to transfer from one season of D&D Encounters to another, or will we be expected to create new characters every season?

Rapscallion,

I am DM'ing Undermountain: Halaster's Lost Apprentice, the first D&D Encounters season at my FLGS in the St. Louis area ...

Players can bring a 1st-level character they created, or they can use one of the characters provided in the play kit. Note that players are awarded 5 Renown Points for creating a Character Builder character (in this season), 1 Renown Point for choosing a Player's Handbook class or race (in this season), and 1 Renown Point for choosing a Player's Handbook 3 Feat (in this season). Renown Rewards are given at the end of a session where a player has earned a cumulative 10, 30 or 50 Renown Points in the current season.

(Also Note that the Character Builder Program/Utility is a FREE fully-functional download for Character levels 1 to 3.)

Each player will be given a D&D Encounters Play Tracker. This sheet allow the players to track their character's treasure, experience, and Renown Points earned for each play session. All of the players' DCI/RPGA numbers (along with the DM's DCI/RGPA number) is recorded on a session tracking sheet. If a player or DM does not have a DCI/RPGA number, the event organizer can provide a membership card.

At the conclusion of the adventure/season "Undermountain: Halaster's Lost Apprentice", a character can be ported over to the LFR campaign.

Renown Rewards earned by the player, which are D&D Encounter Cards. The Encounter Cards can be used by players during the current D&D Encounters season, subsequent seasons, or possibly both.

Hope This Helps,

DDTWilson

Yes, this an RPGA game.

Yes, it is included in the DM download.

No, since each season is going to be on a different gameworld, you will need to create a new PC for each season. Season 1 is in the Forgotten Realms, while Season 2, from what we have heard so far, is planned to be in the Dark Sun universe.
My understanding is that the Encounters games allow the use of any official content (print or electronic), with the caveat that any race selected must be one with a full writeup rather than a back-of-the-MM-only version; RPGA games generally place more restrictions on what content can be used for PCs (such as barring spellscared/dragonmark material or requiring reward cards to use various things).
To be clear:

D&D Encounters is a D&D Oragnized Play/RPGA event.  Christ Tulach is the mastermind (so far as I can tell) behind Encounters - and also, so far as I can tell, D&D Encounters will count for GM Rewards when it's reported each week.

It is not an LFR event, but while LFR is that largest and most noteable D&DOP/RPGA program - Game Days and now D&D Encounters (not to mention convention events like Dungeon Delves) are all under the D&D OP/RPGA banner.   
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

At the conclusion of the adventure/season "Undermountain: Halaster's Lost Apprentice", a character can be ported over to the LFR campaign.

Given that there are different rules on magic items / character in LFR, how will magic items be ported over?
Given that there are different rules on magic items / character in LFR, how will magic items be ported over?

the limiting rule for DDE is no more than 3/character.  as long as they follow this rule, and none of the character's magic items have been "house-ruled", they get to port all of them.
the limiting rule for DDE is no more than 3/character.  as long as they follow this rule, and none of the character's magic items have been "house-ruled", they get to port all of them.

Would you mind citing where you found rules for converting a D&DE character into an LFR one?  As far as I knew, they weren't even complete, let alone posted.

What bgibbons said.

Also: if a DDE character has more than 3 magic items, what happens to the extra? Does the player choose which items to take? Can he sell the extra for gp first? 
Sign In to post comments