Noob questions about SW RPG (generally) and DoD (specifically)

I would like to learn how to play the SW RPG.  In makes sense to me to use a preconstructed format like DoD.

My questions are these:

• How long does a typical DoD module take to play thru? 

• What is the smallest group of players to make this work well? Would 3 players (aside from the GM) work?

• Are there any specific challenges a knowledgeable GM would face with all 3 players being new to RPGs?

• Is DoD even a good choice for noobs, or would a different adventure be advisable?

I appreciate your responses!
Photobucket
I would like to learn how to play the SW RPG.  In makes sense to me to use a preconstructed format like DoD.

Great idea!  And welcome to SWRPG!

• How long does a typical DoD module take to play thru? 

It varies, but I would guess around 15 hours per module.  I would guess that the first module would take you longer because your group would still be getting used to the combat system, etc.

• What is the smallest group of players to make this work well? Would 3 players (aside from the GM) work?

The modules were written with approximately 4 PCs in mind, so 3 will work just fine.  But just remember that the encounters were designed for 4 PCs.  So you might have to decrease the # of bad guys in each encounter by 1/4, especially if some of your PCs are "weaker" in combat (like a Noble or Scoundrel).  If everyone is a Jedi or Soldier, then you probably don't need to decrease the # of opponents.  (Although, if you don't have a Noble or Scoundrel, they will probably have trouble in the social aspects of the game like Gather Information, Deception, Persuasion, etc.)

• Are there any specific challenges a knowledgeable GM would face with all 3 players being new to RPGs?

Hmm, interesting one.  It might take your players a while to understand what all the options available to them are.  I.e., that they can literally go talk to anyone they meet, or that if they shoot some stormtrooper, they better be prepared to face reinforcments in a few minutes, etc.

• Is DoD even a good choice for noobs, or would a different adventure be advisable?

I think DoD would be a perfect choice.  As long as your players understand that it is a pre-written module.  They need to be willing to follow the story and "stay on the rails".  If they are rebellious and just want to go do their own thing, then a pre-written adventure probably isn't for them.

But DoD was written to provide lots of different "flavors".  The first module is meant to provide the "classic" feel of fighting the evil Empire and its stormtroopers.  The second module is much more roleplaying intensive as the group tries to infiltrate a Hutt's organization.  The third involves taking part in a sabaac tournament.  The fourth is much more of a "dungeon crawl" type of an adventure.

And so on.

I would highly recommend that you read all of the threads on this forum that are entitled "Enhancing DoD 1".  There is one such thread for all 10 modules.  These threads will help you avoid pitfalls that other GMs fell into, and help you flesh out the module and make it more realistic (in some cases).  In my opinion, these threads are invaluable.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any other questions you might have!
Hi old_benn - thanks for the reply.

Did I read your response correctly? Each module takes 15 hours, not 1.5 hours?
Photobucket
Good advice Ben.
In my games, I've generally gone two or three full-day sessions per module, though I have some added material.

I also tend to browse the module we're playing as a bathroom and bedtime read for a month between sessions, so I'm quite familiar with it, and I spend a night or two printing and piecing together the maps before each session. Finally, I do extensive editing, rewriting, and dialogue scripting - some of which is up on the Enhancing DoD threads, accessible from the Index.

If you have 3 players and can't get a 4th, I suggest either having somone double up, or possibly have an NPC droid along for the ride.
Yes, 15 hours.  For me, a module typically takes about 4 sessions of 4 hours each.

And, I'm with Nefandus: definitely make yourself very familiar with the module beforehand.  That way, if your players do something unexpected, you'll know what they need to do/accomplish, and you'll be able to subtly steer them back onto the story.

A lot of my effort is put towards identifying parts of the story where the modules simply assumes that the players will want to do action X, but I have a feeling they might want to do action Y.  I'll tweak the details a bit to make it more desirable for them to choose X instead of Y.  That kind of thing.

In the beginning, don't worry about it too much.  Just take the advice given in the Enhancing DoD1 thread.  As you go along, you'll get to know your players' tendencies better, so you'll be able to predict "problem spots" on your own.
I like this topic as i am a new gm starting the campaign. I just had a question regarding starting equipment, would you allow 1st level player to have mandolorian armor +8 reflex and a ship or would you just go with the starting credits to buy equip also because of lack of players i was thinking of having the 2 run it with 2 characters each
I think that would a bit much. They do get the use of a ship for much of the first few modules. Later on, I believe they'll get the chance to purchase their own ship.

You could have them run 2 PCs each or you could have them run 1 PC and 1 droid each instead. That way they only really have one character to roleplay each but they've got an extra set of actions and such to fill in the gaps for combats.
"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G Allen

D&D 5e Session Recaps:

Welcome to Icewind Dale (Legacy of the Crystal Shard)

DMing for My Wife (and Our Friends) (Lost Mine of Phandelver)

I like this topic as i am a new gm starting the campaign. I just had a question regarding starting equipment, would you allow 1st level player to have mandolorian armor +8 reflex and a ship or would you just go with the starting credits to buy equip also because of lack of players i was thinking of having the 2 run it with 2 characters each

The DoD already allows characters to start with the maximum wealth that could be rolled for their class.  There is no way I'd allow a 1st-leve PC to "have" mandalorian armor which provides +8 REF.  Looking in the S&V that armor is priced at 37000 credits but even the basic Battle Armor is 7000 credits and more that twice what a Soldier would start with.  As for the starship they already will get access to one for the few couple levels.

Now you may be a little short on characters but you could fix that by allowing the players to each run two characters even if the "extras" happen to be loyal droids.  After that I'd probably start them at 2nd or even 3rd level (but no extra cash) and may consider giving them better starting stats if they are going to have a very small party.

Do not allow your characters to kit out like that - they will be bored, except when you actively try to overpower them - in which case you will kill them. The problem with overkitting smaller parties is that you land them on either side of the sweet spot - their are either underchallenged or overpowered tremendously - and neither place is very fun. I'm with the others - have them run two characters each, and run them at the recommended levels. Then, when you have a guest, they can take a character out for a spin.
Sign In to post comments