Loading crossbows and off-hand weapons

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi. I've only been playing D&D for about a month. I have a rogue character who uses a hand crossbow in his main hand and a short sword in his off hand. I was told that ammunition is unlimited in RPGA (don't need to buy bolts and subtract each one). If that's true, then do I still need a free hand to load the crossbow? I've been switching my weapons each round and no one has had a problem with it. But I've been reading forum discussions and now I'm wondering if people have been letting me get away with illegal moves because I'm new. 

Example: First turn- there's no place to hide/stealth, I attack an enemy with my hand crossbow, end turn. Second turn- enemy has moved in, I attack with my short sword. Third turn- enemy has been defeated by an ally, I attack a different enemy with my hand crossbow and then move and stealth behind a wall.  

All of this time, should I have been spending minor actions to draw or sheath my short sword? 

I don't believe ammunition is unlimited. I've never seen a rule to that effect. So, you need to spend some minor amount of gold on that. Later on you'll be spending more gold on magical ammunition.

As for the crossbow loading thing, Hand Crossbows are "Load Free", but you still need two hands to load it.
When I buy Crossbow Bolts on the character builder which is set with the Living Forgotten Realms campaign, they come up as house ruled.  

I did buy 6 Spider Bolts though... they aren't house ruled.  
There's a great feat you can get called Two-Fisted Shooter.  It's in Martial Power, and you need to be a rogue to get it (but it sounds like your character is).  It lets you reload a hand crossbow without having another hand free and when you roll a crit you can make a free ranged basic attack with the hand crossbow.
When I buy Crossbow Bolts on the character builder which is set with the Living Forgotten Realms campaign, they come up as house ruled.  

It's some kind of bug; you will note that, although they have the H image by them, your character is still listed as "legal in RPGA Living Forgotten Realms"
There's a great feat you can get called Two-Fisted Shooter.  It's in Martial Power, and you need to be a rogue to get it (but it sounds like your character is).  It lets you reload a hand crossbow without having another hand free and when you roll a crit you can make a free ranged basic attack with the hand crossbow.

That's pretty cool, but it seems like it's designed for people who want their rogue to have dual crossbows. Either way it seems cool and maybe I'll retrain for that and just put the sword in my main hand.

It's some kind of bug; you will note that, although they have the H image by them, your character is still listed as "legal in RPGA Living Forgotten Realms"

Hmm... well, whatever. It's not like bolts are expensive. I'll stock up and ask about the contradicting information at my table on Monday. 

Thanks everyone.  
For what it's worth, I don't think anybody in our area tracks cost for non-magical ammunition. The amount you spend is so inconsequential we put it under the same "general upkeep" umbrella that covers food and lodging in LFR.

I agree with the suggestion for the two-fisted shooter feat though. 

Good gaming,
Allen.

Hmm... well, whatever. It's not like bolts are expensive. I'll stock up and ask about the contradicting information at my table on Monday. 

Thanks everyone.  

If you dig deep into the LFR campaign file in CB, "Arrows" are legal; "Arrow" is not (because you're supposed to be able to buy only in groups of X, not individually). When they introduced the additional "Ammunition" category, and moved Arrows/bolts from Gear to Ammunition, they screwed up with it's category.

Bear in mind, if you're new to LFR, the "LFR Legal Campaign Settings" in CB, it's been *wrought* with bugs, and is not always accurate.  When in doubt, refer to the LFR CCG (wherein it says nothing about ammo being free)
I finally got around to updating my CB file and I posted it on my website.  Yahoo adds a number to the file name when it uploads it, but it shouldn't affect it.  Just save it in My Documents -> DDI -> Saved Characters.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf