How does Elves work?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm pretty new to magic and I was looking over Matt Nass' Elves deck from the GP. I understand the combo for the most part, throw out elves, use them to tap for mana, then draw off each one with glimse. So he can draw through his deck and flood the board. But then how does it win? All the  creatures on the board do little if they are tapped for mana and don't have haste. He says he won most of his games by comboing out on turn 3 or something, but what is the finisher in the combo? What am I missing? Thanks
he can always attack the next  turn.
You can also draw through your whole deck via Glimpse of Nature and Cloudstone Curio, then infinitely recur Primal Command.

Really is that it? It seems pretty vulnerable then. Oh you just drew through your deck and played all your creatures, so I play earthquake or judgment day and i win right?

Also, how does the recurring primal command work. If you chose to shuffle your graveyard into your library, it is still on the stack when your graveyard is shuffled so it is not shuffled back in right? Besides how does recurring it help you win?

Really is that it? It seems pretty vulnerable then. Oh you just drew through your deck and played all your creatures, so I play earthquake or judgment day and i win right?

Also, how does the recurring primal command work. If you chose to shuffle your graveyard into your library, it is still on the stack when your graveyard is shuffled so it is not shuffled back in right? Besides how does recurring it help you win?

No one plays DoJ or earthquake.
Unless they're also running Wrath

You recur Primal Command by reusing Eternal Witness via Cloudstone Curio.  Command stops you from decking yourself from Glimpse of Nature triggers and bounces all of their lands so they can't wipe the board.  You can also just gain infinite life, but the first kill is probably safer.

No one plays DoJ or earthquake.

I dont see why people would not run DoJ or Wrath of god or whatever board wiper.

So then what will Elves do when Eternal witness rotates out next block? Just rely on the opponent not having a board wipe?
I imagine they'd incorporate some other win condition like Grapeshot or splash Black for Tar Fiend.
I imagine they'd incorporate some other win condition like Grapeshot or splash Black for Tar Fiend.

Can't they still just do the Chord of calling+predator dragon kill?

Can't they still just do the Chord of calling+predator dragon kill?

That's an option, too, but it leaves you open to Path to Exile.  Weren't most Elves decks moving away from Predator Dragon by the end of last season? 
Didn't several builds also use Roar of the Crowd as a wincon. I remember that most of the pre-Zendikar builds also used Brain Freeze as a wincon, but that is no longer an option.
Didn't several builds also use Roar of the Crowd as a wincon. I remember that most of the pre-Zendikar builds also used Brain Freeze as a wincon, but that is no longer an option.

I think Roar of the Crowd was mostly played in the T2 version, but I could be wrong.  Brain Freeze saw occasional play, though, IIRC.

I think Roar of the Crowd was mostly played in the T2 version, but I could be wrong.  Brain Freeze saw occasional play, though, IIRC.

Brain freeze saw some play as an alternate grapeshot essentially.  Roar of the Crowd was only in standard, and only in the bad standard versions, to be honest.
Sign In to post comments