The YMtC World Championship Thread!

142 posts / 0 new
Last post
YMtC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!
Photobucket

Welcome Sportsfans to the choice event of the YMtC forum! (beginning this month). Please put your hands together and welcome our contestants!

Representing Denmark...

SilentTwin!

Flag of Norway

Representing Australia...

Flag of Australia

Callix!

Representing Canada...

Flag of Canada

Detektor!

Representing Norway...
Flag of Denmark

Mown!

And representing the United States of America...

Flag of the United States of America

stinkyjoeterry!

The Championship will consist of 5 4 round robin rounds of 'one on one' scoring, whereafter the top two competitors will play off in a three round final!

If our six five competitors will check in, we can get underway.

I will note that cheering / congratulations between rounds for your favourite competitor / countryman is encouraged, but please do not post comments on any cards not yet graded.

Edit: just_nigel failed to check in, and we are proceeding without him.

PlayedWonLostDrawnPoints ForPoints Against%
Callix4311581361.161765
SilentTwin42111461461
Detektor4221551491.040268
stinkyjoeterry4221461500.973333
Mown4311281520.842105
Checking in.

Also, you switched the flags for Norway and Denmark.

ceci n'est pas une signature.

I'm still here. When you're all ready, let's start this.
Saviour of the YMtC Mushroom Kingdom (A Kavu Overlord™ contest)! Avatars (yes, both of them) are Justin from El Goonish Shive. Check it out at www.egscomics.com "I think you just wrote my epitaph" -Detektor
Checking in.

Also, you switched the flags for Norway and Denmark.

Curses! And here I was thinking I was so clever...

I'll just switch that around and no-one will ever know...

U

S

A

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ATTENTION WIZARDS OF THE COAST: You have full rights to use any of my intellectual property found on these boards (I'm not going to use it and it'd be a shame to waste it). -Dr. Stinkyjoeterry, Ph.D.
The last sentence in the OP makes no sense.  Cheering is what?  Frowned upon, welcome, I would actually like to know =/.
By the way this is some pretty stiff competition.  I mean I'm still going to wreck everyone, but it'll be a lot harder.

(Veiled compliment guys).
ATTENTION WIZARDS OF THE COAST: You have full rights to use any of my intellectual property found on these boards (I'm not going to use it and it'd be a shame to waste it). -Dr. Stinkyjoeterry, Ph.D.
The last sentence in the OP makes no sense.  Cheering is what?  Frowned upon, welcome, I would actually like to know =/.

Uhh...

Cheering is welcome.

This is the championships for the World after all. I've edited the OP. Thanks for that.

Still waiting on:
Detektor
Mown
just_nigel
Cheering is welcome.

GO IMI
Cheering is welcome.

GO IMI

Still waiting on me for what?
To do that.
Did I win?
Meh, didn't notice a new thread.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

As just_nigel has been missing from action, the next highest scorer from his region, Crouch has been invited to take his place.
USA!
USA!
USA!
USA!
USA!
USA!

High Ten and chest bump.
Well, I've had no response from Crouch. Rather than let this spin on endlessly, let's get this planetary conflict underway. There will be 5 contestants and 1 less round robin round, with maybe a repechage or something in the case of a draw. Although first I'll need to find how they work.
Round Robin Round 1:

Callix: Bye

stinkyjoeterry vs SilentTwin

Detektor vs Mown

Criteria:

I'm a flavour junkie. Really, it's true. I think I really became addicted to magic reading Matt Cavotta's articles. I miss that guy.
My favourite cards are sometimes those which kind of disregard the modern colour pie because flavourfully, it fits, ala Form of the Dragon. There's so much on there that's not red, but put it all together, wrap it in a strong concept, and hey! Red Card!

Make a card which has a justifiable break from the colour pie. Please detail your justification.
Scoring:

/25: Mechanics and Balance
/25: Flavour and concept
DQ: Unjustifiable break. This is kinda harsh I know, but you guys are all good. In the event both players are DQ'd, each will receive a loss in the standings (ie, no draw).

Hmm... interesting. Good luck, stinky!

Submission
Terrifying Visage --
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a permanent.
Creatures can't attack you.
Spells and abilities can't target you.
"Terror. Pure, bone-wrenching, spine-chilling, blood-curdling terror. Everyone were as statues for as long as the Master moved among them, choosing his Sacrifice." - Urghash, Soulspark Initiate

Effects like these are traditionally white, but I really feel that they make a lot of sense, flavorwise, in black.

Stillrose 
Creature - Plant
When ~ enters the battlefield, your opponents can't cast spells this turn.
`In most gardens,' the Tiger-lily said, `they make the beds too soft -- so that the flowers are always asleep.'
-Through the Looking-Glass
0/1 
Here. Thinking. GL ST.

Phoenix Flame
Sorcery
Return all creature cards from your graveyard to the battlefield. They gain haste. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step or if they would leave the battlefield.
"The flames of the Phoenix feed our undying thirst for violence and insatiable hunger for revenge"-Immersturm Shaman.

I knew I wanted to work with red for this challenge because it is the color that steals from others the most.  Reanimation is primarily black and white, but as we saw in Grixis can be red and blue too.  Blue reanimation would have been very tough (I know), and red allowed a good piece of flavor with the OG natural born self-reanimator, the Phoenix.  The flame in the card name does not refer to actual fire, but an inner flame, a rekindling of life.

Card comes tomorrow, I just need to find some proper flavor for it.

Yxoque wrote:

In the end, I realized that I can't make proper flavor text anyway.

Dryad's Omen
Sorcery
Target creature becomes a Forest.
Having his feets turn into roots proved to be a new dilemma for the young flamekin.

For the flavor. Well, every living being pretty much becomes earth when it dies. It also fits some weird spot between Life and Limb and Utopia Vow. It can also turn lands to creatures, so I thought it would fit the other way too.

Yxoque wrote:

Round Robin Round 1 Results:

Callix: Bye

stinkyjoeterry vs SilentTwin

Detektor vs Mown

Criteria:
Make a card which has a justifiable break from the colour pie. Please detail your justification.

Scoring:
DQ: Unjustifiable break. This is kinda harsh I know, but you guys are all good. In the event both players are DQ'd, each will receive a loss in the standings (ie, no draw).

Phoenix Flame
Sorcery
Return all creature cards from your graveyard to the battlefield. They gain haste. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step or if they would leave the battlefield.
"The flames of the Phoenix feed our undying thirst for violence and insatiable hunger for revenge"-Immersturm Shaman.

I knew I wanted to work with red for this challenge because it is the color that steals from others the most.  Reanimation is primarily black and white, but as we saw in Grixis can be red and blue too.  Blue reanimation would have been very tough (I know), and red allowed a good piece of flavor with the OG natural born self-reanimator, the Phoenix.  The flame in the card name does not refer to actual fire, but an inner flame, a rekindling of life.

Mechanics and Balance - 19/25
Solid red in mechanics and quite powerful, although situationally so. I quite like this. Nothing groundbreaking, but solid and reasonably costed for what I'd consider a limited bomb or 'build around me' card.
Flavour and Concept - 16/25
I struggle a little with the concept, because as you say, the Phoenix is a 'natural' reanimator. But it's a good lead from a black concept. Possibly bends the pie instead of breaking it, but I think it's OK.
Total - 35/50

Terrifying Visage --
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a permanent.
Creatures can't attack you.
Spells and abilities can't target you.
"Terror. Pure, bone-wrenching, spine-chilling, blood-curdling terror. Everyone were as statues for as long as the Master moved among them, choosing his Sacrifice." - Urghash, Soulspark Initiate

Effects like these are traditionally white, but I really feel that they make a lot of sense, flavorwise, in black.

Mechanics and Balance - 17/25
A nice segue into white's territory from black's point of view. I think this might possibly be a little overpowered, but it's one of those that's incredibly hard to balance due to the link of cost to longevity. 5 doesn't seem like enough, but 6 seems too much.
Flavour and Concept - 23/25
Excellent. This is the kind of example I was hoping for. A clear break from the colour pie well justified. Good job.
Total - 40/50

Winner: ST!

Stillrose 
Creature - Plant
When ~ enters the battlefield, your opponents can't cast spells this turn.
`In most gardens,' the Tiger-lily said, `they make the beds too soft -- so that the flowers are always asleep.'
-Through the Looking-Glass
0/1

Justification
White gets the ability to prevent people from playing spells.

Green can justify stealing this ability, but only at sorcery speed. White's ability to cast Silence at the beginning of an opponent's turn makes it almost a Time Walk effect; during one of your main phases, such a card basically prevents your spells from being countered or your combat phase ****ed with for that turn. (Of course, the applications are far more diverse, but that's the main idea.)

Taking Silence and making it a green sorcery would be fundamentally worse and also pretty bland, so I made it a flower. This way it must be a sorcery-speed effect without being obvious about it, and also allows the caster to get a little creature for their bargain. Synergy! The card lets you swing with your big green guys without fear of combat tricks, and neutralizes the counterstrike in one fell swoop.

Why is it a flower, of all things? So as to justify its Through the Looking-Glass flavour text. Why the Through the Looking-Glass flavour text? Because it is undoubtedly the best novel ever written.

Mechanics and Balance - 19/25
Is very nicely constructed. Takes a fundamentally white ability and uses it is a way that is very green. Could still see this as a sorcery ('Scent of the Stillrose' or somesuch, but I understand your reasoning. A flower blocking a Woolly Thoctar is still kinda weird.
Flavour and Concept - 20/25
A very pretty picture, again nicely put together. Nothing out of place.
Total - 39/50

Dryad's Omen
Sorcery
Target creature becomes a Forest.
Having his feets turn into roots proved to be a new dilemma for the young flamekin.

For the flavor. Well, every living being pretty much becomes earth when it dies. It also fits some weird spot between Life and Limb and Utopia Vow. It can also turn lands to creatures, so I thought it would fit the other way too.

Mechanics and Balance - DQ
(16/25) It's innovative removal. It's also unrestricted which is a bit odd for green, but as a sorcery and opponent accelerant is OK.
Flavour and Concept - DQ
(19/25) It's a good idea, it really is. Unfortunately I think you may have misread the criteria. I can't see how this ability is a break from the pie - it really seems green through and through. It's innovation works against it here, as I can't find a reasonable comparison. The closest seems to be Lignify. Again green.
Total - DQ (35/40)
If you can justify this to me I'll remove your DQ and the points will go towards your scores.

Winner: Detektor!

Congratulations to our victors and stay tuned for the next round.

I appear to have forgotten to detail my justifiable break, so here goes nothing:

White gets the ability to prevent people from playing spells.

Green can justify stealing this ability, but only at sorcery speed. White's ability to cast Silence at the beginning of an opponent's turn makes it almost a Time Walk effect; during one of your main phases, such a card basically prevents your spells from being countered or your combat phase ****ed with for that turn. (Of course, the applications are far more diverse, but that's the main idea.)

Taking Silence and making it a green sorcery would be fundamentally worse and also pretty bland, so I made it a flower. This way it must be a sorcery-speed effect without being obvious about it, and also allows the caster to get a little creature for their bargain. Synergy! The card lets you swing with your big green guys without fear of combat tricks, and neutralizes the counterstrike in one fell swoop.

Why is it a flower, of all things? So as to justify its Through the Looking-Glass flavour text. Why the Through the Looking-Glass flavour text? Because it is undoubtedly the best novel ever written.

Round Robin Round 2:

Detektor: Bye

stinkyjoeterry vs Callix

SilentTwin vs Mown

Criteria:

Five colour concepts are to my mind the most difficult to put together. As a piece of supporting evidence here, I would submit the many cards posted on this forum which have very little reason for being multicoloured, let alone five coloured.
I imagine this is because something which justifies this concept is very hard to do in a vacuum. The iconic Sliver Queen doesn't make much sense without knowing there's a five colour tribe behind it.
Ha, you know what's coming.

Make a 'stand-alone' five colour card. Please detail your justification.
Scoring:

DQ: Card is not legitimately five colour, or relies on outside factors - (ie, no Sliver Queens or Atogatogs here). This is kinda harsh I know, but you guys are all good. In the event both players are DQ'd, each will receive a loss in the standings (ie, no draw).

Ooh, Denmark vs. Norway! Scandinavian Showdown! Good luck, Mown.

Justifiable five-color card:

Jhaz'Khad, Dragon Emperor -
Legendary Creature - Dragon
Flying, haste, shroud, vigilance.
Whenever ~ attacks, creatures you control get +3/+3 and trample until end of turn.
Whenever ~ blocks, creatures you control gain deathtouch and first strike until end of turn.
"As I have claimed the entire Realm as my own, so has the Realm claimed me."
6/6

What's wrong with Sliver Queen?

Yxoque wrote:

Nothing really. But if I were to put up a 7/7 creature which had an activated ability that generated tokens, what's the most likely colour? Green really.
Sliver Queen is five colour for good reason, but that reason is supported through a block (now muli-block) setting - slivers are all five colours, etc etc. I want to see five colour cards that are justifiable because they represent all five colours.

You could argue Fusion Elemental here I think.
W=+0/+3, U=+1/+2, B=+2/+1, R=+3/+0, G=+2/+2 = 8/8
Still waiting on cards from three.
Sorry about the delay.

Willcrusher Titan
Creature - Elemental
First strike, vigilance.
Willcrusher Titan can't be countered.
Whenever Willcrusher Titan deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.
Whenever Willcrusher Titan deals combat damage to a creature, draw a card.
The power to punish pride.
5/5
Saviour of the YMtC Mushroom Kingdom (A Kavu Overlord™ contest)! Avatars (yes, both of them) are Justin from El Goonish Shive. Check it out at www.egscomics.com "I think you just wrote my epitaph" -Detektor
I think I had an idea, but then I must have lost it.

I dislike 5color design, as it often ends up as ability soups.

Yxoque wrote:

Convergent Ultimatum
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures.  For each creature destroyed this way, you gain 2 life, draw a card, each opponent discards a card, and Convergent Ultimatum deals 1 damage to each opponent.  Then search your library for that many basic land cards and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
"The Maelstrom still holds many secrets to unlock." -Nicol Bolas

Edited
I edited my card.

Flavour and Concept - DQ
(19/25) It's a good idea, it really is. Unfortunately I think you may have misread the criteria. I can't see how this ability is a break from the pie - it really seems green through and through. It's innovation works against it here, as I can't find a reasonable comparison. The closest seems to be Lignify. Again green.

Before I move on to the card, I didn't notice the grades. So, eh, how to argue.. It feels highly subjective to me, as green has never gotten any sort of permanent removal before, old times aside. I mean... Flavorfully, it does the same as lignify, sure, but the end result is something different.

Okay, to turn it the other way around. Looking at Unearth and [c]Xantid Swarm[/C], I don't see how they developed something new for the color more than I did.

Okay, to the 5 color card.

Nazdrak, Prismatic Echo ()()()()()
Legendary Creature - Elemental Avatar
When ~ enters the battlefield, for each mana spent to cast ~, you may destroy target permanent that shares a color with it.
The entity crackles with so much energy that anything close to it explodes from a mana overload.
- Origin Tales
6/6

To clarify:
If you spent on it, you get to destroy one permanent of each color, in addition to another white and blue permanent.

Yxoque wrote:

Okay, to turn it the other way around. Looking at Unearth and [c]Xantid Swarm[/C], I don't see how they developed something new for the color more than I did.

Again, it's not they they generated something new for their colour, that they put an effect seen in another colour into their colour of choice, thus breaking the pie in a justified manner.

To be fair, I didn't consider Unearth when grading, but that ability is still definitely black in my book. I don't actually get the 'redness' of unearth on Hellspark Elemental.
Xantid Swarm is a pretty good example of the effect I was looking for in this round, and I didn't realise how closely Detektor's entry resembled an existing card. However I think it's sufficiently different to his entry to warrant the comparison to Silence.

I keep looking at it again and again, but I still can't see the problem. In the end I guess it just ends up as something subjective, so not sure if I can really argue with it. Even though you called my card odd in green, so idunno.

Few questions though:
What is the main difference bend and break?
What is the point of both points and having a winner of each bracket? You said my points would go toward the score, but if it's only at that round, I would still score lower than my opponent, making arguing rather pointless.

Yxoque wrote:

I keep looking at it again and again, but I still can't see the problem. In the end I guess it just ends up as something subjective, so not sure if I can really argue with it. Even though you called my card odd in green, so idunno.

Few questions though:
What is the main difference bend and break?
What is the point of both points and having a winner of each bracket? You said my points would go toward the score, but if it's only at that round, I would still score lower than my opponent, making arguing rather pointless.

Let me phrase the question differently:
What colour did you take the effect from to put into your green submission? This was the most important part of the criteria, as well as detailing your justification. The other contestants did the following (and also explained it):
ST: White -> Black
DT: White -> Green
SJT: Black -> Red

Bend or break to me is the difference between putting counterspells in white or counterspells in red. It's really the same thing, just how far you can stretch it.
The points will only come into play in the case of a draw. Your total points for / against will form your percentage, and the top two will be ranked in this way.

To be fair, and if I can read english properly, you never asked me to steal the effect from another color.

Yxoque wrote:

Sign In to post comments