Cognizance Crystals are significantly overpowered.

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
A psionic character can stock up on level 4 Cognizance Crystals and use them to recharge her power points with ease, particularly since such an item can be activated as a free action. Additionally, there is very little reason to use a level 14 or level 24 Cognizance Crystal when the level 4 version is substantially more economical. The following line should be added to the item entry:
Special: After using a cognizance crystal, you cannot use another one until the end of your next extended rest. Using one does not count as the usage of an item daily power.
"Only usable when you miss completely on an attack, and to correct the second part, simply say that only one Cognizance Crystal can be used at a time, so if you use a lower level one, you may only mitigate a partial loss."
"Don't ask me about the way I type, at best, I'll ignore you (or have no intention of actually reading the thread I posted in again). If I respond, it will probably be sarcastic. I could explain it here, but really, why should I? I am asked often, and usually in a rude and condescending manner, and so, giving the answer here would only serve to satisfy the curiosity of a bunch of stupid people I don't care to grant that benefit. Also, if it annoys you, just remember that somewhere out there, my spirits were lifted, because I really like annoying people that are close-minded enough to be annoyed by something as minor as that; not to mention, there are a good number of people on the internet who can't even bother to learn to write American English (or any other form of English, I can't make criticisms about languages in which I am not proficient) properly (people for whom it is their first language), and that is far more irritating, yet commonly accepted."
That would not discourage ardents, battleminds, and psions from expending level 4 Cognizance Crystals approximately every other round. A strict daily limitation must be set.
"Man, I would hate to play in this game you seem to suggest in where PCs never hit... I mean that its such a big deal to get power points back when you miss. I mean, reasonably, a well built PC should be hitting at least half the time anyway... Also, if my group had one or two psions demanding gold to buy all these crystals, my PCs would probably tell them to screw off after a while. More objectively, in a game where the DM has to play by the rules, like LFR (which is the only reason I even excuse errata most of the time), you shouldn't be getting that much spare gold, but maybe I'm wrong."

"If it's that big of a problem, cap it in your game, but I just don't see it mattering that highly."
"Don't ask me about the way I type, at best, I'll ignore you (or have no intention of actually reading the thread I posted in again). If I respond, it will probably be sarcastic. I could explain it here, but really, why should I? I am asked often, and usually in a rude and condescending manner, and so, giving the answer here would only serve to satisfy the curiosity of a bunch of stupid people I don't care to grant that benefit. Also, if it annoys you, just remember that somewhere out there, my spirits were lifted, because I really like annoying people that are close-minded enough to be annoyed by something as minor as that; not to mention, there are a good number of people on the internet who can't even bother to learn to write American English (or any other form of English, I can't make criticisms about languages in which I am not proficient) properly (people for whom it is their first language), and that is far more irritating, yet commonly accepted."
It's not that they have to never hit, but every time they miss (as Adslahnit says, about every other round, assuming single-target powers), they get a free PP. If you're spamming Augment 2 powers, it's effectively a 50% increase to your PP total, and even if you use only 6-PP augments, you're still probably going to get back enough for an extra 2-PP augment, at essentially no cost. The smart thing to do would use 6-PP augments once or twice, on AoE powers, and use 1- or 2-PP augments from there on, and you'll probably never run out.

"Edison didn't succeed the first time he invented Benjamin Franklin, either." Albert the Alligator, Walt Kelly's Pogo Sunday Book  
The Core Coliseum: test out your 4e builds and fight to the death.

"The only possible way to never run out is to spend a lot of money on the crystals and always miss. Yeah, that sounds like the optimal option to me... Oh no, watch out, that battlemind keeps missing, but watch out, he still has power points!"

"If you are building something around having to spend all your gold just to slightly mitigate your misses. Let's just put it this way."

"Let's use 10 battles per adventure, 6 rounds per battle (relatively reasonable), and you miss every other round. In one adventure, you spend 1,200gp to get 30pp (3 per battle), and just hope the battle doesn't end before you get to use it. Any power points leftover less than 3 are just wasted gold. Also, the battle has to last a decent amount of time, and you have to be missing half the time with combat advantage, ally buffs, ally debuffs, and any reroll abilities you may have, which by epic tier, should be quite a few."

"Yeah, not seeing the broken."
I said probably never run out, which for a typical fight (4-7 rounds) is not hard.

And 1,200 gp is chicken scratch by mid-paragon.  There's no reason not to do this, and whenever you're saying that, there's a balance issue.

"Edison didn't succeed the first time he invented Benjamin Franklin, either." Albert the Alligator, Walt Kelly's Pogo Sunday Book  
The Core Coliseum: test out your 4e builds and fight to the death.

As for the possibility of using multiple in one round, isn't there a requirement you need to have consumable in hand ? It would require a minor action to retrieve a new one...

I hardly see a major unbalance in high level psion wasting some minor actions to get 1 extra pp every two rounds or so. I could even imagine a paragon/epic feat giving one pp if you miss all targets with augumented power without any consumables and it would be still very far from being unbalanced.
Personally, I wouldn't make it a daily.  That's excessive - particularly with the component cost.  I do think it would be reasonable to limit it to one cognizance crystal (of any kind) per encounter.  That would give a solid reason to go for the more expensive version, and limit the degree to which you could use them without rendering them utterly useless (from having it be just not worth the item daily).
As for the possibility of using multiple in one round, isn't there a requirement you need to have consumable in hand ? It would require a minor action to retrieve a new one...

I hardly see a major unbalance in high level psion wasting some minor actions to get 1 extra pp every two rounds or so. I could even imagine a paragon/epic feat giving one pp if you miss all targets with augumented power without any consumables and it would be still very far from being unbalanced.

(If) you need the consumable in your hand, then you just take Quick Draw, MC into the psionic class that uses your dump stat to hit, and refill your PP's to full once per encounter.
Personally, I wouldn't make it a daily. That's excessive - particularly with the component cost. I do think it would be reasonable to limit it to one cognizance crystal (of any kind) per encounter. That would give a solid reason to go for the more expensive version, and limit the degree to which you could use them without rendering them utterly useless (from having it be just not worth the item daily).

Under a once-per-encounter restriction, level 4 Cognizance Crystals would remain fairly abusable for any character at the paragon tier. A strict daily limitation is necessary.
I've thought about this extensively, because truth be told, I want those Crystals....  :P

But that's where I also came to my decision on the matter.  They're just not possible to not have.  The whole idea of 4e from the beginning was to remove Items as the basis of power for players, and that single item is going to differentiate the difference between an somewhat adequate Psion, and a Great Psion.

There just shouldn't be any item that you just have to have.  I want it because I remember only too well how often my Encounters and Dailies missed as a Wizard.  Those Crystals give me an indefinite number of Encounters and Dailies.  And as Free Actions, and how cheap they are, there's really no limit to their use.

Some of you are making it sound like "missing all targets" is a rare thing in this game.  I'm going to assume you are use to making characters with the primary attribute maxxed, a +3 proficiency, magic implement/weapon and regularly get combat advantage against prone targets...  o.O

I'd guess about half my non-utility Dailies/Encounters (as a Wizard), missed throughout our games, and in this Class, I'd get my points back.  I already made sure I had the Orb of Unfailing Concentration as my 1st pick item on my magic-item wishlist I gave my DM (we can't put consumables on that list), AND let it be known in advance that I took Arcana because I want to make Magic Items (Ahem: Cog Crystals), so my DM would maybe drop a ritual scroll or something somewhere for me to learn from.

It's hard for me to agree with ADSL, because of how bad I want those Crystals, but the truth is, they're just too damn good.  While I dread seeing them as Daily, since they become practically useless then, even Encounter is pretty powerful. 

I do suggest they become at least Encounter-limited.  I lose a couple of daily/encounters per encounter due to bad rolls, getting at least some of those points back is pretty sweet.  Don't need to be any sweeter for them to remain so delectable.  Daily... I might not use them... that's just to rare.  But per-encounter (short rest), I think they'd be fine.
So I can be like everybody else!!! :D :D :D You are Red/Blue!
The level 4 crystal should be a daily.  The upgraded versions, an encounter power.
That would work.
They should all be dailies. Compare them to the magic items which restore power points on a miss, or heck, wands. Encounter powers are worth a magic item daily. Ergo, cognizance crystals should be a magic item daily. It would fix all the problems with them and stem off any potential abuse. Its not like gaining an additional use of a paragon tier encounter power (or heck, an epic tier one really when you have 17 power points) for missing with your encounter power is a bad deal in any way.
They should all be dailies. Compare them to the magic items which restore power points on a miss, or heck, wands. Encounter powers are worth a magic item daily. Ergo, cognizance crystals should be a magic item daily. It would fix all the problems with them and stem off any potential abuse. Its not like gaining an additional use of a paragon tier encounter power (or heck, an epic tier one really when you have 17 power points) for missing with your encounter power is a bad deal in any way.

These are consumables, not wands.  No ones going to buy the high level version if it's using a daily item power, but they might if it's an encounter power.  I think my fix was fine, but whatever stops abuse.
I agree.  Anything past the level 4 as a daily would be a bad idea.
The Potion of Clarity had a similar problem - high level characters stocking up on low level potions and eating them like candy.

Personally, I feel they over-corrected the Potion of Clarity by making it an item daily power, but the idea of the consumable requiring a mnimum power level to trigger makes perfect sense to me.

So if they rewrote the triggers as follows ...

Level 4:
   Trigger:  You miss all targets with an augmented psionic attack power of level 7 or lower.
Level 14:
   Trigger:  You miss all targets with an augmented psionic attack power of level 17 or lower.
Level 24:
   Trigger:  You miss all targets with an augmented psionic attack power.

This way, by level 24 the heroic tier crystal would be virtually useless to most characters.
It's my understanding that it's extraordinarily common for low level psionic powers to see use throughout all levels. I haven't played one, but I believe Battleminds keep a level 7 power forever, Psions and Ardents a level 1, etc.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Hm.  A fair observation.  While I have also not seen this in practice, I've heard of it from enough places to believe this is more than a corner case issue.

Perhaps adding the character level into the mix could fix things?  Sort of like the Elixer of Accuracy.

Cognizance Crystal
Level 4:
   Effect:  regain power points equal to 7 - 1/2 your level, but no more than 1.
Level 14:
   Effect:  regain power points equal to 12 - 1/2 your level, but no more than 2.
Level 24:
   Effect:  regain 4 power points.

That way, the heroic tier crystal becomes obsolete once you're high enough level to start making the paragon tier crystal, and the paragon tier crystal does the same once you can make the epic one.

Personally, I'd be happier seeing a level 9, 19, and 29 crystal just to split things up more - after all, this solution still sees low-paragon characters body-packing heroic cognizance crystals.
Regarding using multiple crystals in a round - triggering off the same miss - it's the DM's job to put reasonable limits on the number of free actions you can perform in a round / at a time.

In this case, I think most reasonable DMs would say one cognizance crystal per failed roll.  They could errrata it just to make sure this is clear, but I don't feel that's necessary.
Well, your first idea, Bredae, is unusable.  Level 1 At Will are not that different in power than a level 27.  Not enough so, that people would just keep their low-level At-Wills for the easy regens.

The 2nd idea seems over-kill.  I mean, 7-1/2 level (which maxxes at 1 and minimum at 0) is just...  o.O.  Better off just saying that only Heroic level characters can use the level 4, Paragon the level 14, and Epic the level 24's.  Which.... I think is a bad idea.... since you can still use like 20 on an encounter at not a huge cost once you're a couple of levels above the Crystal's level.

I still think the best solution is Level 4 Daily, levels 14 and 24 Encounter.

Given non psionic characters get to use power jewels which psionic characters cannot make use of I would say the low level versions at least are already balance.  I do want these crystals for my psionic characters but mostly because I feel they miss out elsewhere.